Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to way off here and predict that Jacobs will controversially win a disputed decision because nothing in boxing makes any sense and trying to read the madness is futile, the only predictable thing is that there will be new disappointment around every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Avid Daniel Jacobs fans may recall that in his fight against Golovkin he skipped the morning weigh in (opting not to fight for the IBF belt) and was rumoured to enter the ring at over 180lbs

Since then, the IBF has changed their rules for unification fights, doing away with the 10 pound rehydration clause, but for this fight specifically, Alvarez and co negotiated a rehydration clause where Jacobs has to pay a fine based on how heavy he is. It's been reported that it at least at one point it was $250 000 for every pound overweight he was. Jacobs himself said the number was lower, closer to $100 000 per pound.

Jacobs weighed 173.6 pounds this morning, meaning he's forfeiting $360 000 at the very least. He will continue to gain weight and could once again enter the ring near 180 pounds.

Canelo weighed in at 169

Jacobs is the only Canelo opponent I can think of who will actually fight with a significant size advantage, for whatever that's worth.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

So impressive from Ortiz. He's ready a former title challenger level (like Jose Benavidez, Yordenis Ugas) already

I mean if he could do that to Ugas that would be pretty insane.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Solid fight, Alvarez was in control for most of it and Jacobs was never able to build enough momentum to really take it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don’t mean this in a xenophobic way but you think this guy would speak half decent English by now.

He learned some English a while back but was embarrassed about how he sounded so he stopped trying to use it in interviews and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCebtEPfE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Most people probably like having commentary

I know this is an obvious thing to say, but still