Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's just a coincidence that "Hello" translates to "Fuk'Seg-uh", really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Thanks to TKP for acting as a lightning rod for this poo poo so that I can have assembled all this cursed fuckin' knowledge, and by thanks I mean I am so deeply sorry. It did genuinely get me interested in Sonic and those comics for the first time in my life, though, so Bobby Schroeder deserves a lot of kudos for that.

Understanding this man is straightforward if big to get your head around. Ken Penders, like all comics writers, is a fan of and driven by the people who were the key creative figures in his formative period. And for him, that's Jack Kirby. Penders thinks of himself LIKE a Jack Kirby and all of his writing goals and designs and stuff go in similar directions. You can also see very similar shades to Kirby getting screwed out of his rights by the Big Two in how Kenders views and undertook his lawsuit with Archie.

Penders likes being the foundation guy. Building all this backstory and broader world to act as the foundation for stuff... later. He's always introducing stuff and broadening out and he's a huge, gigantic fan of the twist and the drawn-out reveal. Again, Kirby did a lot of the same stuff with his work on Marvel and (extra specially, pay attention to this) the New Gods for DC. The New Gods are aliens, they have extreme powers and strange names, their divinity equivalent is named The Source, and they have all of that Kirby tech with its intricate elements and Kirby dots. You can see all of these in Penders' run on Sonic, mostly in his Knuckles and Echidna stuff, but very specifically the divinity called the Source of All got crowbarred into the Acorn Kingdom's society and was extremely creepy. None of these are directly lifted but the inspirations are pretty plain.

He's always wanted to write sci-fi, and that's always how the Echidnas in Sonic were cast. They're not just another branch of humanity, think of them as an outright alien society like the Vulcans or the Romulans and the way he's designed and built them makes much, much more sense. It's also why his new project with the same stuff went to directly making them aliens and also he's doing crazy poo poo like making a conlang. Penders likes to be the guy who laid the foundations, who everyone owes everything to literarily. He wouldn't be constantly trolling around looking for attention and claiming to be at the foundation of loving everything that happens in the Sonic universe even BEYOND Archie if he wasn't (and Bioware can be partly blamed for that, by using a bunch of his poo poo as inspiration material for the Dark Chronicles RPG).

But he never wanted to work with anyone else, or have anyone else work with his stuff, so even setting aside his own inability to execute and any personal talent questions, he was NEVER going to be the kind of influential person Jack Kirby was. You can't work in a loving property that isn't yours, which has writers working on it that aren't you, and expect to have total control over what the property is and what gets done with it. What if the Fantastic Four could never be crossed over into other comics? It's insanity. Even IF Jack Kirby had been given the correct level of respect, pay, and recognition that he deserved -- which was a lot -- he wouldn't have just been straight up given ownership of Marvel Comics. Penders got away with that power trip because of his relationship with the editor Archie had for almost his whole tenure, Justin Gabrie, and because of Sega's extreme detachment from the peripheral elements of the Sonic property like the comics.

It is worth noting, though, that Penders didn't quit (according to him, and there's actually no real reason to disbelieve it) because of staff or writing disagreements. By hearsay, Sega was ridiculously difficult for the comic to work with in the pre-Ian Flynn period due to their not giving a poo poo, which is part of why the comic got so loving out there. When told to write a Sonic Adventure tie-in, Sega refused to provide them with a copy of the game. They had to go buy one themselves and get cover artist Pat Spaziante to play it. This exact same thing apparently happened with Sonic Adventure 2 as well, and when it then happened for a third time with the Shadow the Hedgehog game, that was the final straw. And in that I can't blame him. Ironically they would become much more closely involved with the comic just after he left, because of finally noticing just how far out into left field it had gone.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 1, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny you bring up Star Trek as pretty much the only other thing of note Ken Penders had done in comics prior to ending up at Archie was doing some Star Trek comics for DC when they had the license, from what I've heard they're supposed to be pretty okay, not indicative at all of how bad he'd later become

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Redeye Flight posted:

It is worth noting, though, that Penders didn't quit (according to him, and there's actually no real reason to disbelieve it) because of staff or writing disagreements. By hearsay, Sega was ridiculously difficult for the comic to work with in the pre-Ian Flynn period due to their not giving a poo poo, which is part of why the comic got so loving out there. When told to write a Sonic Adventure tie-in, Sega refused to provide them with a copy of the game. They had to go buy one themselves and get cover artist Pat Spaziante to play it. This exact same thing apparently happened with Sonic Adventure 2 as well, and when it then happened for a third time with the Shadow the Hedgehog game, that was the final straw. And in that I can't blame him. Ironically they would become much more closely involved with the comic just after he left, because of finally noticing just how far out into left field it had gone.

Sega's staggering incompetence continues to baffle and delight me.

While Penders is a compete weirdo he's honestly a symptom. He would not have been able to do any of this with a competently run comic run

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Sega's staggering incompetence continues to baffle and delight me.

While Penders is a compete weirdo he's honestly a symptom. He would not have been able to do any of this with a competently run comic run

That's pretty clear, considering Archie's legal troubles have shown that for years, the entire company was basically run as a soap opera for their Board of Directors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, is Archie even doing much anymore these days aside from their flagship series (if even that’s still going on currently)?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So uh...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1430048623778144260?s=20

For the low, low price of $10,000 dollars (plus royalties) you too can use such iconic characters as... um...

A sonic recolor?

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I... has something happened recently in the IDW comics? Because why would anyone one want to use Ken's characters when the Archie series has been dead for a few years now?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Aristide posted:

I... has something happened recently in the IDW comics? Because why would anyone one want to use Ken's characters when the Archie series has been dead for a few years now?

Live action Sonic TV series ala Riverdale?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think the context is someone asked Ian Flynn if Penders' characters could ever return and he probably gave a diplomatic answer like "it would be too difficult to work out a deal to do that". When what he probably really meant was "why the gently caress would we ever want to do that?"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can't believe we'll never learn the final fate of Penelope Platypus :(

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I like the implication that Penders doesn't understand the concept of separate continuities, and thinks that anything IDW might do with his characters would impact his future plans enough to require in-story retcons. Like, does he lie awake at night trying to figure out how Garfield Eats ties into the continuity of the comic strip?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, this guy is 10000 times the sonic artist that Penders is

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRMBB2gY/

Imagine being shown up by some TikTok sonic fan.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

FilthyImp posted:

Man, this guy is 10000 times the sonic artist that Penders is

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRMBB2gY/

Imagine being shown up by some TikTok sonic fan.

maybe like 2X the artists that penders is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To be frank unless you're a Chris-Chan level garbage fire of a human being it doesn't take much to be a better artist than Ken Penders at least in terms of soul if not drawing ability though that isn't a high bar to reach either

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Junkie Disease posted:

maybe like 2X the artists that penders is
I meant more in the "released more than 3 bad renders of characters" way.

Not actual artistic merit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't see a single Science Knuckles or Rasta Knuckles or Space Knuckles or Tree Knuckles or Hippy Knuckles, that person loving sucks

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

did he port colors to switch?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So Screen Rant, for some reason, did an interview with Ken Penders in which he revealed he not only intends for his The Lara-Su Chronicles to be seven books, but that he wants his son and grandchildren to turn his glorified fanfic into a generations-spanning franchise.

I'm now concerned that Penders and his son are trying to groom his grandchildren into carrying on his "legacy".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol. I want Penders to live to be old enough to watch h his son declare "The En'Chyll-Adas were actually mutant humans" or someshit and just poo poo all over his plan

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hexmage-SA posted:

So Screen Rant, for some reason, did an interview with Ken Penders in which he revealed he not only intends for his The Lara-Su Chronicles to be seven books, but that he wants his son and grandchildren to turn his glorified fanfic into a generations-spanning franchise.

I'm now concerned that Penders and his son are trying to groom his grandchildren into carrying on his "legacy".

You gotta link it; it's hilarious

https://screenrant.com/ken-penders-sonic-comics-lara-su-chronicles-interview/

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

How did the interviewer not start laughing?

Also love the "art" sprinkled through it.

K'Nox

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just realized how much his art looks like those horrible "How to Draw Anime" books everyone makes fun of.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well how do you think he's been putting food on his table these last few years.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Knormal posted:

I just realized how much his art looks like those horrible "How to Draw Anime" books everyone makes fun of.

I just noticed the human? in the upper right corner and it's killing me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's all humans

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The regular-style human is good enough to make all the mutant humans all the more horrifying. If the ordinary human wasn't there, you could write it off as Sonichu-esque bad art, but no, this person can actually draw and they chose to draw the mutants that way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
His art is passable when it's just flat comics stuff but this weird-rear end blender 3D poo poo is just offputting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

That's Human Knuckles

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Billy Gnosis posted:

He's always been there, check the pic in the OP

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Billy Gnosis posted:

How did the interviewer not start laughing?

Also love the "art" sprinkled through it.

K'Nox

From reading the interview, I got the impression that the interviewer loves what Penders did on Sonic, and is quite the fan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Davros1 posted:

From reading the interview, I got the impression that the interviewer loves what Penders did on Sonic, and is quite the fan.

The same author has another article about how the comics benefitted from Penders, and were ruined when Ian Flynn made them in-line with the Sega interpretations instead of sticking to the Penders style of writing. So yeah.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Author's name
Peter Suckerners
Is an anagram for
Reporter Knuckles

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I love the opening paragraph of that interview claiming that "few people have had as big of an impact on Sonic the Hedgehog" as Penders. In America maybe? Were the Penders-era comics even widely available outside of the US? I know that was before digital sales were a thing.

None of his characters appeared in any games or cartoons while Tangle and Whisper at least got to make an appearance in a mobile game.

Hell, I didn't even know the Archie comics existed until some cover scans and one issue were included with Sonic Gems Collection or something on the Gamecube. I was very confused when I saw them, since they weren't the comics I remembered growing up with in the UK.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

I love the opening paragraph of that interview claiming that "few people have had as big of an impact on Sonic the Hedgehog" as Penders. In America maybe? Were the Penders-era comics even widely available outside of the US? I know that was before digital sales were a thing.
I know for sure they weren't in the UK, Sega were absurdly promiscuous about licensing out Sonic so rather than just having one English-language comic they had two, one by Archie in the US and one by Fleetway in the UK.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gruckles posted:

The same author has another article about how the comics benefitted from Penders, and were ruined when Ian Flynn made them in-line with the Sega interpretations instead of sticking to the Penders style of writing. So yeah.

This squares with what I know of ScreenRant's reputation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Author's name
Peter Suckerners
Is an anagram for
Reporter Knuckles

Reporter Knuckles v Detective Pikachu: Genesis of Justice

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Holy poo poo. https://twitter.com/ScourgeComic/status/1460235434118635522

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

None of his characters appeared in any games or cartoons while Tangle and Whisper at least got to make an appearance in a mobile game.

Hell, I didn't even know the Archie comics existed until some cover scans and one issue were included with Sonic Gems Collection or something on the Gamecube. I was very confused when I saw them, since they weren't the comics I remembered growing up with in the UK.

To be fair the Bioware Sonic game did basically file the serial numbers off his Echidna villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's very generous to assume Bioware was actually digging into some of the source material rather than just dusting off their standard KOTOR / Mass Effect / Dragon Age "Ancient something or other returns to cause trouble" plot and calling it a day.