Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine if Archie had made backups of their contracts.

They did. The photocopies they presented were ruled inadmissible in court.

What they SHOULD have done was made everyone sign new contracts as soon as they found out about the burning, or something. As has been said though, Archie was incompetent in many ways. That and Sega was just like "what the poo poo is this crap you're dragging us into" because Penders didn't just sue about the comics, he sued about the Sonic RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Has Penders ever actually done anything with his lovely comic or is it just a never ending "COMING SOON GUYS (PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY AND ATTENTION)" ?

At least up until he blocked me on Twitter, he'd never done anything beyond pin ups and claiming stuff was going great.

Fun note, I was blocked on Twitter not because of critiquing his art, telling him to his face he was wrong, or arguing against his points, despite doing all that. No, I was blocked because when he kept going on about how he was having an app made for this, and all the money he was supposedly putting into his original comics do not steal stuff, with the level of amateurishness he was showing constantly, I was like "Wait, is this a tax scam or something?"

Somehow, THAT got him to block me immediately, with his reply being "Why do you care?" Not people openly talking about how to pirate his work, or defending piracy or the like; that he was fine with. Asking "hey, wait, are you trying to somehow take an intentional monetary loss to scam the IRS?", though, WHAM. Blocked, instantly.

Kinda feels telling to me.

Remind me at some point to do an effort post on early Echidna civilization and history as told in the first few Knuckles comics and backup stories. I have a lot to say about how the entire loving story is massively, massively wasted potential AND insulting to anyone with a brain.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Please, please do.

Well, you have asked. I have access to pretty much all the Archie Sonic comics thanks to Humble Bundle, so I'm gonna reread some stuff from my childhood to brush up, and then I'll get to explaining. Soonish. Eventually. Look, don't wait up.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I almost don't want to bother with an effort post on the history of Echidnaopolis, but I think I'll start off with like, the first Knuckles backup stories, the first miniseries, and the first three issues of his ongoing. That should basically give you the basics of how loving bungled this entire thing is.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Knormal posted:

Stealing this from the Idiots on Social Media thread because it needs to be documented here.

Someone turn some Comicsgate dudes towards him, see if we can get them to team up, so Penders can drag them all down.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I for one am shocked that somebody very insistent that a cartoon squirrel girl lost her virginity to a cartoon squirrel man twice her age is A ok with rape.

Excuse me.

Cartoon SKUNK man.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I was once going to write a big effort post about how much Ken Penders hosed up with Knuckles and stuff, but honestly, if you haven't yet:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/tagged/tkp%20post/chrono

Read through these archives. Just... yeah.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

Team? I thought he just sent them a pitch and spread rumours about this competition. Was Sega really considering giving him a budget for a movie?

From what I remember, Ken had some contacts at the marketing and licensing arm of Sega America that put more faith in him than was warranted. He was legitimately in talks with his contacts to create an animated Sonic movie for a while, but it was just "talks". It's also why he was able to scuttle any attempts by Ben Hurst to make headway, because his contacts seemed to take Ken at his word for everything. He never actually had any traction that would get something greenlit, though.

After said contact(s) left, you stopped hearing Ken talk about his amazing Sonic movie story that was totally making progress, guys.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Ironically, Sonic's backstory before the trailer backlash was actually closer to stuff Penders had done with Knuckles, where he was mysteriously orphaned and was basically a living chaos emerald.

Other than directly mentioning Chaos Emeralds, that seems to be exactly what his backstory is in the movie, too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Sega's staggering incompetence continues to baffle and delight me.

While Penders is a compete weirdo he's honestly a symptom. He would not have been able to do any of this with a competently run comic run

That's pretty clear, considering Archie's legal troubles have shown that for years, the entire company was basically run as a soap opera for their Board of Directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I still find it hilarious his entire "claim" to Shade is "she is a similar archetype to Julie-Su", despite, you know, it being one of the most generic rear end archetypes ever.

Yeah, Sega gave them some Knuckles comics and said "do something similar", but good poo poo they have nothing in common other than the archetype of "female member of evil cult isn't evil".