Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The insane nonsense that is Riverdale came up in a discussion I was having with a friend recently, and between that show and Penders' Sonic/Knuckles, I feel like there needs to be a name for the specific sort of hack who has some sort of terrible story they want to tell but are unable to gain funding for, and so they hijack some other, existing, IP to try and use it to 'stealthily' tell that story instead. Like how Riverdale is clearly wholly divorced from Archie and just Aguirre-Sacasa playing out his fetishes and inept Twin Peaks fanfiction, while Penders' Knuckles stuff was all just varying degrees of adaptation of that comic he failed to make back when.

Like, yeah, you often get unfaithful adaptations of stuff, but usually it's do to executive meddling and poo poo. Or ineptitude wanting to tell the story better. But it's rare you get 'I don't care about this IP at all and am hijacking it for my own selfish purposes because it is the only way I can get anyone to give me money to make my crap."

I don't know if there's a succinct term for it but the insane Brazilian MegaMan comic is probably the most open example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU