Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
For what it's worth, I think the actual words in those cases were "Aggregate" and "Ministrations." But yes, Jimmy doesn't understand many of the words his father uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, after voiceofdog's post that snapped into context for me. It's pretty rad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Since we're about halfway between updates, I wanted to introduce a feature about Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass but it's really about Kasey Ozymy.

Kasey was(is?) a really prolific poster and blogger over at RPGMaker so there's years worth of his stuff over on a dev diary there, including forum posts to other RPGmaker users. A lot of you have shown interest in game design and game design process and while it's not commercial design, it's still interesting to look at how he was making it. Kasey is super supportive of fan work and I'll link him this thread when there's some more videos up.

The url for his rpgmaker posts are Here for people who want to go digging. They're mostly design focused.

quote:

Let's Get to Know You, Revolting Blob!
Housekeeping11/11/2015 04:29 PM814 views

Ah. The Revolting Blob. Sleek. Elegant. Pungent. The Revolting Blob lives in the dumpster inside all of us. The Revolting Blob shows up late to meetings. It eats onion rings and belches in your face. One time it was handed a book of manners, which was promptly eaten without a second glance.

When Jimmy transforms into the Revolting Blob, he gains the power to be universally hated by everyone. But, that’s okay. The Revolting Blob is immune to criticism. The Revolting Blob is resilient. The Revolting Blob will hock up something gross on you and laugh as you punch and kick his gooey body.

The Revolting Blob isn’t particularly strong or fast, but he has high defense, and he can solidify his body, making himself even tougher. He can also taunt enemies and make them sick, which will injure them every turn while the Revolting Blob absorbs their counterattacks with ease. A high-level Revolting Blob can increase his defense even further and get immune to the sick status effect.

Outside of battle, the Revolting Blob can use his taunt to immediately trigger an enemy encounter, so if you’re looking to hunt a specific monster, the Revolting Blob is perfect for the job. Being hated has its perks!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2019

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly hadn’t heard of this at all before the YECCCCCCCCH thread, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it winds up. It’s fairly charming so far, though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Regalingualius posted:

I honestly hadn’t heard of this at all before the YECCCCCCCCH thread, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it winds up. It’s fairly charming so far, though.

I haven't had a ton of time to follow along with titles like this but I have found it incredibly compelling and sweet so far. They do such a nice job of capturing the perspective of a child.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Since we're about halfway between updates, I wanted to introduce a feature about Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass but it's really about Kasey Ozymy.

Kasey was(is?) a really prolific poster and blogger over at RPGMaker so there's years worth of his stuff over on a dev diary there, including forum posts to other RPGmaker users. A lot of you have shown interest in game design and game design process and while it's not commercial design, it's still interesting to look at how he was making it. Kasey is super supportive of fan work and I'll link him this thread when there's some more videos up.

The url for his rpgmaker posts are Here for people who want to go digging. They're mostly design focused.
That reads just like it would in a classic instruction booklet, if this game had one. Kasey knows his poo poo, and it really shows throughout the game.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Seeric posted:

I'm happy to see that this game is still slowly amassing fans. It's a fantastic game and deserves way more attention than it got upon release. One thing that I think a good number of people who like this game might not realize is that it's not Kasey Ozymy's first game as he's also made four freeware RPG Maker games over the years before Jimmy. They're a lot rougher than Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, but it's easy to draw some parallels between them and this game, especially in regards to the combat system of The Heart Pumps Clay. I think they're definitely worth checking out for anyone who wants to see how the developer has improved over the years or if you simply want to play some decent freeware: https://rpgmaker.net/users/Housekeeping/games/

I’d like to second this. The Heart Pumps Clay and Born Under the Rain are fun, interesting mechanically, and short enough to fit into most people’s schedules. I highly recommend giving them a try.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I played Born Under the Rain before hearing about Jimmy and like it well enough (even though it kept kicking my rear end) so it was a pleasant surprise to hear Kacey made both

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Edit: On second thought, I should PM grandmaparty about this.

Having asked them, I can tell you that it's worth keeping something in mind about the dog house and such: Jimmy hates dogs.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 7, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NewMars posted:

Edit: On second thought, I should PM grandmaparty about this.

Jimmy hates dogs.

LP OVER

TIME FOR GOLF STORY

No, not really.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 8, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'll watch later so maybe this was covered, but according to Kasey Ozymy, this is not a spoiler and was explicitly stated by him: this game takes place in Jimmy's dream, hence why Jimmy is sleeping on the title screen. That's all I can say, but when you realize that, everything else that unfolds makes sense.

SUBCON

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An aspect I love about Jimmy's Parents is they are very Gomez and Morticia Addams, not in their behaviour of course, but in that they are a married couple with 2 kids who are still completely in love with each other - the attraction never died. That's always sweet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's more like Earthbound's Magicant.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

As someone who played Jimmy before the easy mode was added and doesn't like grinding: it was absolutely amazing even then. I'm really glad it's getting a good LP, but seriously: buy the drat game, people! I know it's a long one - my save is 50 hours on the nose - but it really is worth every moment. I think it's the first game I've played since Undertale that's left a significant, long-lasting emotional mark on me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
We gotta talk about this next episode before it goes up.

1)

gently caress.

2) Scabs was not nearby to meow into the microphone in tomorrow's episode. She was too busy trying to save Katherine from the shower. And howling.

Please accept this picture of Scabs and if you miss her come bother me on the rare occasion I stream and I'll get you your howls.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GrandmaParty posted:

2) Scabs was not nearby to meow into the microphone in tomorrow's episode. She was too busy trying to save Katherine from the shower. And howling.

XANDER ALSO TRIES TO SAVE ME FROM THE SHOWER AND THE BATH TUB.

He sits on the edge of the tub, looks me in the eye, and howls like, "MOMFRIEND, YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY WATER. MOMFRIEND, THAT IS NOT OKAY. MOMFRIEND. COME ON, MOMFRIEND, WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GrandmaParty posted:

We gotta talk about this next episode before it goes up.

1)

gently caress.

Please accept this picture of Scabs and if you miss her come bother me on the rare occasion I stream and I'll get you your howls.

If I'd have known there was a scoreboard, I would have started angling for these earlier in the episode. "Just because they're style points doesn't mean they're not real points!" Also thanks again for the opportunity to be part of this LP, it was a lot of fun getting to comment and I hope I don't sound as much like a dingus as I'm certain I will.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 2 is up!

Special Guest: Eat Faster.

Jimmy's still in the introductory phase. We get to see a cute town populated by cute people, get used to our battle system

And then shake a whole lot of mice.

We also meet the badass of all badasses, Mr. Cat.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 13, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just like in Mischief Makers, you must SHAKE SHAKE everything.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The best part about that shakedown pun is that the goon shaking things is probably what Jimmy thinks a "shakedown" means. :allears:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I really love the text when you empathize with something new. Though both of them so far have ended up a bit dark by the end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And lo, Jimmy was Mr. Shakedown.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You might wanna grab the ability that makes Jimmy immune to Sick from Revolting Blob. Status effects in this game are bastards.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't know how you moved a space to the right before the empathy flashback started, but I got a kick out of seeing Ms. Mouse get in your personal space.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The goon looks so happy when he's shaking people. :3:

e: Not so keen on the racist jokes though.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

pumpinglemma posted:

The goon looks so happy when he's shaking people. :3:

e: Not so keen on the racist jokes though.

Whoa whoa whoa.

If this happened this needs to be addressed immediately. What'd I do?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

GrandmaParty posted:

Whoa whoa whoa.

If this happened this needs to be addressed immediately. What'd I do?

Guessing it's the "Chinese food is cat meat" joke.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Leroy Dennui posted:

Guessing it's the "Chinese food is cat meat" joke.

Oh hell. One of my Dad's lovely boomer prejudice jokes slipped through without me thinking about it rationally and I can definitely see where they are coming from.

Totally did not mean to fall back into that old stupid joke and didn't consider it and I'm sorry.

I'm torn as to what to do-- I can go back, edit it and reupload the video tonight (no problem)

Or

I can leave it up with this statement owning what I did and apologizing;

Or

A little bit of Both.

Edit:

I thought about it and I think the correct thing to do is own, it, apologize for it, edit the video and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not going to delete these posts and I'm not going to cover it over.

Hopefully you can forgive me and I'll make sure it doesn't happen again because 1) that's totally not the way I feel about China, Chinese people or Chinese food (I know what ants climb a tree is for God's sake) and 2) I didn't think it through.

I've pulled the video and I'm re-uploading first thing when I get home in an hour.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 9, 2019

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, I thought it was a bit incongruous with how cool you seemed in the OP. :) I'm not actually Chinese so I don't really get to judge here. But I am gay, so for what it's worth, if it had been an anti-gay joke then I'd say this is exactly the right response - apologise, take it out of the video, and be more careful in future. Everyone's got some internal prejudice going on, everyone fucks up sometimes, and for me what really matters is that we keep trying to be better.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a bit incongruous with how cool you seemed in the OP. :) I'm not actually Chinese so I don't really get to judge here. But I am gay, so for what it's worth, if it had been an anti-gay joke then I'd say this is exactly the right response - apologise, take it out of the video, and be more careful in future. Everyone's got some internal prejudice going on, everyone fucks up sometimes, and for me what really matters is that we keep trying to be better.

It's kind of hosed up when you try to work on your prejudices and see one you missed and freak out. Thanks for the heads up and I'll look for it in the future.

There ain't gonna be any racist, sexist, anti-gay, anti-religious or anti-trans jokes in this LP :colbert:

I say that in the LP where my wife says "Maybe he's going to prep the bull" and I tell Doc to "Suck my entire dick" and then to "Eat glass."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 9, 2019

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

GrandmaParty posted:

I say that in the LP where my wife says "Maybe he's going to prep the bull" and I tell Doc to "Suck my entire dick" and then to "Eat glass."
What would be the point of keeping the commentary G-rated when the game has explicit full-frontal adult fun time right there in the first ten minutes? That ship's sailed right out of the harbour.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
- "too, make sure to look in the imagination menu" uuuggghhh. still, I get the impression that english just isn't kacey's first language and that this was an honest mistake, rather than the impression that kacey, like andrew allanson, is a lazy gently caress who just doesn't care
-- wait, the same typo comes up in the bank? maybe it's deliberate?
- treasure chests giving outside benefits on top of giving you the item is real neat
- jimmy's subconscious mind: "animal people have topless pictures of beavers on their walls, right? yeah that checks out"

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hello yes hi I would like to guest commentate with you please too thanks. :zoid:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

- "too, make sure to look in the imagination menu" uuuggghhh. still, I get the impression that english just isn't kacey's first language and that this was an honest mistake, rather than the impression that kacey, like andrew allanson, is a lazy gently caress who just doesn't care

Is it maybe another one of those, "This is how Jimmy sees things," things?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Video Nasty posted:

Hello yes hi I would like to guest commentate with you please too thanks. :zoid:

You got it. Thank you!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The coolest thing about the toybox sparkles is something I didn't work out until a good way into the game. We got told in this episode that like in Earthbound, when you die you lose half your unbanked money. But unlike in Earthbound, there are no restrictions on when you can save. So you'd think you can just cheese things by saving regularly, reloading if you die, and never losing any money at all. And you can! That's an entirely valid way to play. There's just one drawback: your toyboxes don't get sparkles for a while after you save. And that means no bank interest, which is actually pretty significant. So there's a strong incentive to take risks and push ahead into unknown and dangerous territory rather than save-scumming, but you can step away from the game at any time without losing your progress. And Kacey's fully aware of this dynamic - for example, when you reach a boss you'll often have a lot of unbanked money from fights in the area leading up to it, and immediately after defeating a boss you'll often get several toyboxes which will only sparkle if you didn't save beforehand.

Like Beatrice Mouse said, banking might not seem fun, but it's very responsible, and there's nothing more fun than responsibility.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

pumpinglemma posted:

The coolest thing about the toybox sparkles is something I didn't work out until a good way into the game. We got told in this episode that like in Earthbound, when you die you lose half your unbanked money. But unlike in Earthbound, there are no restrictions on when you can save. So you'd think you can just cheese things by saving regularly, reloading if you die, and never losing any money at all. And you can! That's an entirely valid way to play. There's just one drawback: your toyboxes don't get sparkles for a while after you save. And that means no bank interest, which is actually pretty significant. So there's a strong incentive to take risks and push ahead into unknown and dangerous territory rather than save-scumming, but you can step away from the game at any time without losing your progress. And Kacey's fully aware of this dynamic - for example, when you reach a boss you'll often have a lot of unbanked money from fights in the area leading up to it, and immediately after defeating a boss you'll often get several toyboxes which will only sparkle if you didn't save beforehand.

Like Beatrice Mouse said, banking might not seem fun, but it's very responsible, and there's nothing more fun than responsibility.

That is way more clever than just, "If you die you lose x% of your money." DO LIKE.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Episode 2 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZR3ZfesIIw

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love this game and I'm really looking forward to how you react to some of the later scenes in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I no poo poo thought about doing a video of me shaking things to this song (or shaky shaky or Shake it Off) but the copyright claim would get me.

Revised Episode 2 is now up.

Since I had 4 seconds of dead air, I took the time to edit in Scabs.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2019