Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

- jimmy's subconscious mind: "animal people have topless pictures of beavers on their walls, right? yeah that checks out"

Maybe he misunderstood someone saying something about posters showing beaver. Probably his brother.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That is way more clever than just, "If you die you lose x% of your money." DO LIKE.

100% agree, that's a really great risk/reward mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jimmy is also one of the unforgivably scarce games to imitate the brilliant battle cancellation system of Wild ARMs

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
On one hand, I really like shaking things and I love that Kasey put it in and everyone's got unique shaking dialogue.

On the other hand no one likes getting shaken and I'm a monster.

Moral quandary.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Something kind of fun that you can do - if you press the form action button as base Jimmy you get to see his thoughts on the area you're in.

And some people do like being shaken, like Mr Marvelous. Since there's no way you can tell who likes it before doing it, you have to do it to increase net happiness in the world.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

I no poo poo thought about doing a video of me shaking things to this song (or shaky shaky or Shake it Off) but the copyright claim would get me.

What, no Harlem Shake?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

On one hand, I really like shaking things and I love that Kasey put it in and everyone's got unique shaking dialogue.

On the other hand no one likes getting shaken and I'm a monster.

Moral quandary.

What you need to do here is put one hand on the left side of this quandary, another on the right, grip it firmly and then move it up and down. Or side to side.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So if you talk to Mr. Beaver when he's still working on the wall, he'll say something like this:

"This green-haired guy said he'd give me a knuckle sandwich if I didn't build this wall here. I've never had a knuckle sandwich before, but it sounds tasty. And if he's willing to give me that to not build a wall, imagine what he'll give me if I do build one!"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Qrr posted:

Something kind of fun that you can do - if you press the form action button as base Jimmy you get to see his thoughts on the area you're in.

And some people do like being shaken, like Mr Marvelous. Since there's no way you can tell who likes it before doing it, you have to do it to increase net happiness in the world.

I had no clue. I'll go snap shots of this and the Mr. Beaver dialogue today.

We will take a tour of Mr. Beaver's home later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I had no clue. I'll go snap shots of this and the Mr. Beaver dialogue today.

yeah this is actually kind of crucial, because oftentimes it's the closest thing we get to an unfiltered look at Jimmy's opinion on something

it's worth using every time you enter a new area

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just put in a sound clip of Marina from Mischief Makers saying "SHAKE SHAKE" if you want to put in anything. It's short and to the point.

I never noticed the jacket design before you pointed it out. It does kind of look like a phoenix.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The battle system is quite reminiscent of LISA, with the reliance on status effects/conditions.

Hopefully it doesn't reach the levels of stack buildup and management in endgame LISA.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The battle system is quite reminiscent of LISA, with the reliance on status effects/conditions.

Hopefully it doesn't reach the levels of stack buildup and management in endgame LISA.

It doesn’t get that bad. The main problem is you have to grind on the default difficulty because the bosses are big difficulty spikes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mill Village posted:

It doesn’t get that bad. The main problem is you have to grind on the default difficulty because the bosses are big difficulty spikes.

Guess what y'all don't have to watch or do :D

Screenshots!

If you don't touch the gross blob, you get the option to lick it.

Jimmy's field action in the beginning:

Jimmy's field action in the Cloudy Hills

Mr. Beaver 1:

Mr. Beaver 2:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 11, 2019

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

Jimmy's field action in the beginning:

Jimmy's field action in the Cloudy Hills

I think you put in the wrong screenshot for one of these?

Also clearly since this is an LP Jimmy should be shaking everything For Science.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ayndin posted:

I think you put in the wrong screenshot for one of these?

Also clearly since this is an LP Jimmy should be shaking everything For Science.

Got it. Thanks!

I will shake everything but Timothy Mouse for reasons that make me sad (he calls you a jerk if you shake him every time).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'll be the second to say that it doesn't. The status system is pretty well-designed - any given encounter will only have a few status effects to keep track of, and they all feel pretty impactful. (In particular, most status effects can only be inflicted on you rather than by you.) The game is good about introducing them, too. For example, one of the most important statuses in the game is Startle. If you get Startled, and you haven't acted yet, then you skip your turn. Then you get immunity to Startle afterwards - I think it's one turn of immunity the first time you get startled, two turns the second time, and so on. So it's a little complicated, but at the start of the game in Cloudy Hills, there's an enemy that spends every turn trying to Startle your whole party. So by fighting them you get to learn what the rules are in a low-stakes environment.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
I’ll put my hand up to do a commentary, if only just to prove I am not totally fuelled by anger.

If you still need one and the time distance (Australia) isn’t too much and honestly if I can get the fortitude to stand my recorded voice.

Either way, Pulsating Mass seems to be going in a lot more better way. Which is not a high bar but it seemed to have at least octupled over the bar.

Out of curiosity, which status ailment is the worst in your opinion? Or is there just one that is the most awful in general?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

I’ll put my hand up to do a commentary, if only just to prove I am not totally fuelled by anger.

If you still need one and the time distance (Australia) isn’t too much and honestly if I can get the fortitude to stand my recorded voice.

Either way, Pulsating Mass seems to be going in a lot more better way. Which is not a high bar but it seemed to have at least octupled over the bar.

Out of curiosity, which status ailment is the worst in your opinion? Or is there just one that is the most awful in general?

Ennui is the one that angers me the most because I get no exp. Terminal definitely kills you in 3 turns which is probably the nastiest.

I've got you on the list! I just did it with Ibble who's in Malaysia so no worries. We'll do it on a Saturday/Sunday morning/evening

Let's take a look at our new form.

quote:

Let’s Get to Know You, Low-Level Goon!
Housekeeping12/23/2015 06:19 PM1131 views

Nobody likes being the low man on the totem pole. But, if you remove the low man on the totem pole, what have you got? Just a new low man on the totem pole. And a shorter totem pole, but that doesn’t matter–nobody said these analogies were perfect. The important thing is that there’s always going to be a guy at the bottom, and, in the lucrative field of gooning, that guy is the Low-Level Goon.

As a Low-Level Goon, you’re going to have to deal with a variety of odd jobs: knocking off liquor stores, roughing up the homeless, throwing rocks at windows, hand-washing everyone’s leather jackets–it’s not an easy or particularly fulfilling life, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

Because of the wide range of jobs a Low-Level Goon must perform, he’s become a pretty well-rounded guy. His lack of education means he’s not the brightest bulb in the box, but he’s physically capable and surprisingly lucky. His skill set is pretty broad: he can apply first aid, rough monsters up, rob them blind, and, if you stick true to the path of goonery, you might gain a keen business savvy so that monsters give you more money.

The Low-Level Goon is a bit of a troublemaker, so his field ability allows him to shake things up. Literally. He’ll shake trees, animals, innocent bystanders–basically anything to get his jollies. Do you like it when someone shakes you? Of course not. But, when you’re a Low-Level Goon, you’re too busy pretending to be tough to care about other people’s senses of equilibrium.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I didn't steal very often when I played this game. Apparently there's some amusing results if you steal from certain enemies, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jimmy might have the single best Steal command in the whole genre

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Ennui and Terminal are definitely the most debilitating status effects, Immunodeficiency would be there too if it weren't a "common" ailment and thus easily treated by items or abilities. Sleep is pretty brutal because not only can you not act if you get hit it does double damage.

(I'm so excited for this LP because this game rules a lot and I can't wait to see reactions)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

jimmy might have the single best Steal command in the whole genre

Mill Village posted:

I didn't steal very often when I played this game. Apparently there's some amusing results if you steal from certain enemies, though.

We are going to steal everything that isn't bolted down. You will see every possible entertaining item stolen. We will steal turtles. We will steal dignity. We will steal voice boxes. We will steal furniture. We will steal stuffed versions of animals from other animals.

Stealing rules.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

We are going to steal everything that isn't bolted down. You will see every possible entertaining item stolen. We will steal turtles. We will steal dignity. We will steal voice boxes. We will steal furniture. We will steal stuffed versions of animals from other animals.

Stealing rules.

Jimmy's stealing lets you steal some really out there things, as well as make combat easier. It's actually the best stealing ever in any RPG because it thinks outside the box and lets stealing actually matter beyond "i got an item"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

On my first playthrough, it didn't occur to me to steal anything until about halfway through. It's pretty handy for some enemies and not recommended against others.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like in this game is the Personality trait mechanic. Not only Jimmy with his Empathy, but Buck Also has a personality trait that gives him a 25% chance to attack a second time in battle, which happened a few times in the last video.

Put it in spoilers because I don't know if GrandmaParty is simply waiting to talk about that later.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 3 is up!
I gotta drive an hour in the morning.

Special Guest: Ibblebibble, who is running the Girls Frontline thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885085 and co-commentating on a Dragon's Dogma thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889074

This is a real cultural episode. We learn things about Malaysia. And what people eat in Malaysia. And how Southeast Asia, when looked at correctly, looks like a cock and balls. And where Malaysia is on that cock and balls.

And we learn what bees do to flowers.

Finally, I start doing what I do best:

Stealing everything that isn't nailed down. I steal a tasty apple out of a dogsquirrel's mouth and make my brother eat some. I also steal a stuffed animal from a real animal.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

Some quick discussion:

1) Since Ibble was up late and is 13 hours ahead, we had to record at a weird hour. Scabs was asleep.

After I made fun of Katherine for feeding a bee out of a teaspoon when it was tired and motioned for her to squeeze a cat, she poked her head out of her computer monitor and gave a real smug nooooooooo headshake.

I learned it meant that the cat was sleepy and did not want to meow instead of vengeance.

2) Good news: the next episode is loving phenomenal. Like gameplay wise it would survive without commentary.

Bad news: I have laryngitis and cannot talk and do not maintain a backlog.

I'm going to work on getting better but I have to talk for a loving living. :sigh:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 13, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

lol, I never did get to tell you what my raifus were.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm going to work on getting better but I have to talk for a loving living. :sigh:

I know how you feel, I work in a call centre doing tech support.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I know how you feel, I work in a call centre doing tech support.

Oh God. That's all day talking. I can't imagine how bad you have it.

I want to talk about the sunflower fight as good game design. Basically, it outheals all the damage you can do--but it's slow. And it also shows its strength as a character in it's heals.

So one, you've got to burst down the poor bees. Then the thing keeps outhealing your damage unless you taunt it, which you can quickly figure out because you've got four abilities.

Big fan, man.

Plus Helga's bee story. Seriously love her. We've seen her for three minutes and already have an idea of who she is.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Oh man, the empathy stories keep hitting me RIGHT IN THE FEELS.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
This game, it brought me to verge of tears on several occasions. Not because it's bad, but because its amazing. Even now the music in this game just cuts right to the soul.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ibblebibble posted:

lol, I never did get to tell you what my raifus were.

Now's your chance!

Also:

That is 100% a dick.

Take that, Florida.

Edit:

Oh hell, while we're here, some culture.

Is char kway teow. It's stir fried noodles and savory AF.

Is garbage soup tamarind garbage Asam Laksa

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeniel posted:

This game, it brought me to verge of tears on several occasions. Not because it's bad, but because its amazing. Even now the music in this game just cuts right to the soul.
GP mentioned that he got a little misty at Timothy Mouse's dialog at the beginning of Giant Garden. He's going to be a big warbling pile of tears by the end.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GrandmaParty posted:

Is char kway teow. It's stir fried noodles and savory AF.

Put that in front of me now, plz, kthx.

My ex used to make baller chicken char siu, which isn't the same as that dish, but, "savory af Southeast Asian street noodle recipes," is one of the very few things I miss about him. Dude is white/Native American/Jewish, but grew up considering Thai his comfort food, and then spent a couple years between China, Cambodia, and Kazakhstan learning how to cook from locals, so his cuisine is strangely legit.

That and his sweet mango black sticky rice with coconut cream, unf. The internet tells me it's called khao niew dam mamuang, if that means anything to anyone else. I'm a witless American who mostly specializes in European cooking because that's what I'm familiar with.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/mango-with-black-sticky-rice/

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I need more of those thick rice noodles in me STAT.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm eating some char kuey teow right now :smuggo:

GrandmaParty posted:

Now's your chance!

I'll save it for if I ever guest again, I'd rather not spam up your thread with anime stuff from another game :v:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The thing that grabbed me was how the queen bee mentioned how the generations had watched Jimmy grow and mature, showing that the bees have bee life-spans. Even Jimmy knows bees don't love very long.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm eating some char kuey teow right now :smuggo:

Luuuuuuuucky.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'll save it for if I ever guest again, I'd rather not spam up your thread with anime stuff from another game :v:

I keep intending to give that game a try.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hey, I'm playing Jimmy ahead of Grandma, and I'm gonna let you in on some stuff he'll probably leave alone in his videos!

So I double-checked, and there's something Information Guy didn't tell you about the Imagination system. Not only do you unlock active and passive skills at certain levels, you get stat increases every single Imagination level, depending on form. Blob gives +1 DEF, Goon gives +1 LUK, and Flower gives +3 HP and MP.

Here's a description of what all their abilities do (with passive skills in italics):
Revolting Blob:
(Lv 05) Sticky Phlegm (3 MP): Cover the enemy in viscous goo. Damage the enemy and lower their agility by 50%.
(Lv 10) Antibodies: Years of toxic buildup are paying off. Immune to sick.
(Lv 15) Solidify (3 MP): Reconfigure your body structure to a solid state. Guard with 150% more DEF and MDF.
(Lv 25) Resilient Body: Poke it, punch it, slap it, just jiggles back to its normal shape. DEF +50%.
(Lv 40) Toxic Sludge (15 MP): Hock poisonous scum onto the enemy. 600% physical damage over six turns.
(Lv 50) Undulate (3 MP): Waver your gelatinous body temptingly. All enemies attack you for five turns.

Low-Level Goon:
(Lv 05) Bully (5 MP): Utilize your brawn to hide your low self-esteem. 150% physical damage.
(Lv 10) Clean Getaway (1 MP): True heroes don't retreat, so no problems here. 100% chance to escape.
(Lv 15) High Five (10 MP): Give a friend a high five to boost their confidence. Heal 50% of max HP.
(Lv 25) Beginner's Luck: Come on, just one more hand of blackjack--I'm on a roll! LUK +50%.
(Lv 40) Grift (0 MP): Separate your enemy from their personal belongings--being lucky helps.
(Lv 50) Business Savvy: You might be starting from the bottom, but you'll work your way to the top! Enemies give twice the money.

Happy Little Sunflower:
(Lv 05) Mental Clarity (5 MP): Focus your mind to purify your body. Heal common status effects to one ally.
(Lv 10) Sunshine (8 MP): Bathe your opponent in warm, dangerous UV rays. 150% magical damage; double damage to undead.
(Lv 15) Pep Talk (15 MP): Talk excitedly about life. Recover an unconscious ally to 25% health.
(Lv 25) Comforting Smile (15 MP): Show the party that everything will work out. Heal 25% of the party's HP.
(Lv 40) Positive Work Ethic: Chin up! You'll get stronger if you try! Jimmy's Imagination gains 50% more EXP.
(Lv 50) Nourishing Roots: Absorb vital nutrients from the soil. 10% HP regen.

There's also the matter of Jimmy's clubhouse. In addition to an ATM machine and heart fountain, it has a jukebox where you can play music tracks you find, eight furniture slots, and a billboard telling you what set bonuses you have active. That's right: set bonuses! Jimmy's furniture isn't just decorative; it provides stat bonuses and other benefits, especially when you coordinate it well.

Most furniture is divided into four categories, depending on what set bonuses they offer. Common Sets come in four pieces, and are usually bought in stores. Monster Sets come in five pieces, and are stolen from various monsters, so be sure to check what your new enemies have on them. Rare Sets come in six pieces, and are usually found in toy boxes, along with a handful of Other pieces. Here's what GrandmaParty has access to so far:

Rustic Set (???)
-Windmill (+1 AGI): Makes you want to play mini-golf. Buy from Ms. Robin in Smile.
-Barrels (+1 ATK): Filled with odds and ends. Buy from Ms. Robin in Smile.
-???
-???

Fuzzy Set (???)
-Stuffed Skitter (+2 AGI): Made from synthetic materials. Steal from Skitter in Giant Garden.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Floral Set (???)
-Happy Little End Table (+3 AGI): Now you have one of your own! Find in Giant Garden.
-???
-???
-???
-???
-???

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeay Malaysia represent! I can't wait to finish going through this epi-

GrandmaParty: Singapore's Malaysia right?

:catstare:

Great episode as usual. Yes our country looks like a penis on the map.