Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
He is. He feels he doesn't quite care enough to be 'shouting' about it. Why do you think the pin's so small?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

C-Euro posted:

I mean y'all are forgetting that this was the very first piece of fanart made for the thread-

What is the significance of the flag/headband that Helga is holding/wearing?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

What is the significance of the flag/headband that Helga is holding/wearing?

It's the trans pride flag.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Rubik's shirt is in the trans pride flag colours. I think Helga's flag is bi pride.

E: also I can't get over how adorable Johnny Flags is.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Rubik's shirt (and head?): trans
Johnny's flag: gay
Dee's socks: lesbian
Buck's hat pin / bracelet and Helga's everything (flag / clothes / headband / necklace / nails): bi

e: missed the nails

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I took the image to be Buck being just a little embarassed over how supportive Helga is of his life, not in like a bad way just in a Mom I'm trying to be a tough badass and you're ruining it way.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I refuse to accept J.K. Rowling-style additions as my canon. :colbert:

It was nice to hear some of the creator's thoughts on this. I wish I'd thought of a question to ask in time, because I'd really like to know what is up with all the enemies with paper bags on their heads. I now know that the faces are the same ones as the ones assigned to the party members' personalities, but they're still quite mysterious.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
If there's a question you'd like asked, somebody had a good time and maybe wants to talk over the last episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

If there's a question you'd like asked, somebody had a good time and maybe wants to talk over the last episode.

Get him to say "Jimmy beats brain cancer" this time :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Ask why the hell you get Lars on a fight where the boss spends 95% of it's time casting spells.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

DiggityDoink posted:

It's the trans pride flag.

Bi flag actually!

Vil posted:

Rubik's shirt (and head?): trans
Johnny's flag: gay
Dee's socks: lesbian
Buck's hat pin / bracelet and Helga's everything (flag / clothes / headband / necklace / nails): bi

e: missed the nails

This is correct :) Rubik's shirt is the trans flag on the front with the intersex flag as the sleeves. Their head is just that color in game I think

Lord_Magmar posted:

I took the image to be Buck being just a little embarassed over how supportive Helga is of his life, not in like a bad way just in a Mom I'm trying to be a tough badass and you're ruining it way.

This is really good :')

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 45 is up

So uh

If you noticed in the hellstream, I didn't have all commentators there.

And I had 45 minutes of boss rush to fill.

And some people really grumpy at me because they couldn't make hell stream.

So enjoy your bonus hell episode where I do the heart prison and the boss fights for 45 minutes.

No plot.

All baseball.

And they made me update the chart :(

Special guests: Iospace, Solitair, Miz Kriss and Crow

And a really, really sleepy Grandma who was full of cheese.

The title is not lying.

Commentary On

No Commentary

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scabs is the LP's god. Just saying.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a testament to how good Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is that even the boss refights add new wrinkles. You're not going to make headway by completely relying on whatever battle technique that got you to this point, whether it's bashing faces in or stalling for time with Annoying Squawk and healing. I'll have to share my tactics that I used for the boss refights.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

It's a testament to how good Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is that even the boss refights add new wrinkles. You're not going to make headway by completely relying on whatever battle technique that got you to this point, whether it's bashing faces in or stalling for time with Annoying Squawk and healing. I'll have to share my tactics that I used for the boss refights.

I'll go into a further explanation of the combo once we hit the last fight. I don't think it's possible without it.

Thursday the last boss fight. And we go through the door.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Cited videos:
Hbomberguy: CTRL ALT DEL: Serious Lore Analysis 3
Super Eyepatch Wolf: The Insanity of Gantz and Why You Should Care

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not a 100% LP until you get that chest behind the Johnathan Bear fight :colbert:

E: Was there any connection between the character required for each door and the area/boss behind said door? It all seemed kind of random to me.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 8, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
that one time you had Punch and Jimmy-as-Punch in the party at the same time sure was a one-two Punch

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

It's not a 100% LP until you get that chest behind the Johnathan Bear fight :colbert:

E: Was there any connection between the character required for each door and the area/boss behind said door? It all seemed kind of random to me.

I believe the core family members got the optional bosses from the island representing them except for Lars.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The rematch with the Golden King was my hardest fight in the game (that I succeeded at, anyways -- I have yet to figure out how to tackle the Dark Demon rematch). If you don't set up a cheesy damage combo like Grandma did and kill him quickly, the lingering miasma damage is brutal.

If you get Kasey Ozymy on again, I want to know what the deal is with the paper bag enemies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

I believe the core family members got the optional bosses from the island representing them except for Lars.

I gotta be honest, I don't remember half of the island names and have only a loose idea of who they represent-

Homeflower: Jimmy
Legato: Mom
Spookyland: Buck but also Johnathan?
Everchip(?): Lars
Sacred Heart: Dad
Neotokyo or whatever: Buck, Hitomi, Punch?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

The first door is for Buck so that the Heart Prison is officially off limits until you reach the postgame.

I'm not 100% sure why the second door is for Helga because there's no rhyme or reason to the enemies or boss for her skillset, but they both relate to Legato, which is the land of music, and Helga is associated with Jimmy's musical memories.

The third door is for Jonathon so you can take advantage of Immunize and other support abilities that he uses. The refight practically requires Immunize.

The fourth door is for Lars because the enemies and the Totem refight encourage you to use Buck's abilities to get enemies to hit him.

The fifth door is for Andrew because the enemies feast off MP, and Andrew is a black mage. The Black Prophet refight encourages you to use his abilities, as well as those for Jimmy and Buck (who I used for the fight along with Hitomi), to just smash face.

The sixth door is for Punch because the enemies and Golden King refight are meant to take advantage of stealing.

The seventh door is for Hitomi because... ya got me. Having it take place in Tetsuya Kawaii fits with the dungeon you do with her, but Mr. Cat as a boss just feels like it was put there because Kasey didn't have any other idea what to put.

Mizuti posted:

The rematch with the Golden King was my hardest fight in the game (that I succeeded at, anyways -- I have yet to figure out how to tackle the Dark Demon rematch). If you don't set up a cheesy damage combo like Grandma did and kill him quickly, the lingering miasma damage is brutal.

If you get Kasey Ozymy on again, I want to know what the deal is with the paper bag enemies.
My first time playing, I found The Black Prophet refight and the final boss to be harder, although Golden King's refight is pretty drat hard too. Typically I spam the gently caress out of Helga's healing abilities.

Somebody else posted that the paper bag guardians correspond to the classes of each character besides Hitomi. The Sky Guardian has Helga's smiley face representing Optimism, and the Digital Guardian has Lars's sleepy face representing Laziness (I think that's his class name).

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I haven't watched anything since Hellstream because I don't want it to be over. :(

:( :(

I wanna try drawing the family too. This game needs fanart. That's right. It's time to talk shippings.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I haven't watched anything since Hellstream because I don't want it to be over. :(

:( :(

I wanna try drawing the family too. This game needs fanart. That's right. It's time to talk shippings.

Go watch 44! It's got Kasey in it!

46 will too.

And then I have one serious video and two stupid videos to post.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm watching it now. LPs are great to have on while working on projects or just doodling.

Kasey seems like a man after your heart, so far!
WAIT HELGA NO

edit - yes i got mentioned
- if you hate teeth do not look up bjork's video for 'mouth mantra'

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 46 is up

After a poo poo show fun episode last episode, I figured you guys were owed a legitimate episode. One where secrets are revealed and questions answered.

Also because Kasey had fun and wanted to talk about his sweet baby, Jimmy.

This one's a bit more serious and more like a traditional LP episode but we really get some good information about the game.

I tried a couple different ways to beat this fight but ultimately this was the way that won. I think I failed like 15 times.

Eesh.

What a good game. I've got so many conflicted feelings about that scene.

Tomorrow we go through the door.

Commentary On

No Commentary

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ron PaulJimmy: Kill you're parents

But for real though those pre- and post-fight scenes were really sad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That fight, fuckin woof. When I first got to the end of that corridor and saw it emptied out into Jimmy's house, I said "oh no." I know I was going to be in for both a very hard fight and yet another emotional gut punch.

If you go by the theory that I choose to have about the Heart Dungeon and that it's a place for Jimmy's deepest, darkest fears, the fight against Jimmy's family shows that one of them is the fear that his family will forget him and hate him after he dies.

What I did for that fight was equip Jimmy with Rotting Jack O'Lantern's transparent body ability, which prevents physical damage to him. Instead of having Lars around, I gave Jimmy Undulate, so that all attacks would go to him. That took a lot of heat off of Helga, Andrew, and Jimmy. I also equipped him with Golden Cross to get a chance to deflect magic, though Barrier would probably work better.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Did we ever find out what the deal was with all the paper bags? A lot of enemies have them and I'm not sure why.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tombot posted:

Did we ever find out what the deal was with all the paper bags? A lot of enemies have them and I'm not sure why.

He wanted to put the status emoticons (each character's emotional status) onto the Guardians and that made the most sense to do it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Man, today's episode of timmy and the throbbing blob is a real downer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

NewMars posted:

Man, today's episode of timmy and the throbbing blob is a real downer.
"No crying until the end" is not a catchphrase for this game, it's a challenge. The memories of Jimmy's family essentially telling him to gently caress off after they're defeated is a real one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This is honestly my favorite kind of boss fight. It's well constructed and requires mastery of the mechanics.

There's really two ways to do a good final boss fight: introduce a new mechanic (think: psychonauts) or require mastery of old ones. And this fight is great because you really have to understand the game to beat it.

The danger here is in their synergy. And the best part is you already know what to expect from them because their moves are your moves.

So good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GrandmaParty posted:

two ways to do a good final boss fight: introduce a new mechanic
Eww. That's how you get QTE bosses.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Right Brain: Oh God no Jimmy my baby boy :ohdear:
Left Brain: KILL HELGA :black101:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SelenicMartian posted:

Eww. That's how you get QTE bosses.

Tell me about it. They're awful most of the time.

And then sometimes you get one like zone of the enders 2nd runner which rules.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

This is honestly my favorite kind of boss fight. It's well constructed and requires mastery of the mechanics.

There's really two ways to do a good final boss fight: introduce a new mechanic (think: psychonauts) or require mastery of old ones. And this fight is great because you really have to understand the game to beat it.

The danger here is in their synergy. And the best part is you already know what to expect from them because their moves are your moves.

So good.

Do you have some other examples in mind of when you've enjoyed this? Because I've hated every final boss that I can think of where they introduce a new mechanic or force you to use a seldom-used one from earlier in the game. The original God of War where they make you use a faux Blade of Artemis and that terrible back-and-forth health meter burns particularly bright in my memory. Also (spoilers for an ongoing thread in LP) the final boss in Star Fox Adventures forcing you to use the Arwing after about ten minutes of Arwing playtime across the rest of the game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 10, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

Do you have some other examples in mind of when you've enjoyed this? Because I've hated every final boss that I can think of where they introduce a new mechanic or force you to use a seldom-used one from earlier in the game. The original God of War where they make you use a faux Blade of Artemis and that terrible back-and-forth health meter burns particularly bright in my memory. Also (spoilers for an ongoing thread in LP) the final boss in Star Fox Adventures forcing you to use the Arwing after about ten minutes of Arwing playtime across the rest of the game.

The one I listed above. That one was nuts. Super memorable.

Also Ugh-Zan from Serious Sam was like that.

But yeah, the vast majority of it is bad.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

get that OUT of my face posted:

"No crying until the end" is not a catchphrase for this game, it's a challenge. The memories of Jimmy's family essentially telling him to gently caress off after they're defeated is a real one.

You're absolutely right about it not being a catchphrase for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Heart Prison as a whole is a primer on all of the mechanics of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, a kind of final exam. Breaking the game is not only encouraged but practically required. It's also a testament to the depth of the game that there's no single answer to beating something like the Golden King refight or the battle against Jimmy's family. You have many tools at your disposal.
That's where I got the reference from. :v: