Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

here's a sketch that I'm too lazy to actualize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

The one I listed above. That one was nuts. Super memorable.

Also Ugh-Zan from Serious Sam was like that.

But yeah, the vast majority of it is bad.

Honestly I quit Psychonauts on the final level because the game never really hooked me and there was a terrible platforming section in that last stretch that I was trying and failing to do on M+KB. I'll have to take your word for it :shrug:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

Honestly I quit Psychonauts on the final level because the game never really hooked me and there was a terrible platforming section in that last stretch that I was trying and failing to do on M+KB. I'll have to take your word for it :shrug:

Ah hell. I didn't mean Psychonauts.

I meant Zone of the Enders 2. That one is nuts.

A post with content:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 11, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 47 is up

No commentary. No commentators.

There's nothing I can add here.

Except Jimmy Did His Best.

:(

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

:(

I think it's the right way for the game to end, but it hurts.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Awww noooo.

But wow, even though it's so brief I think that whole sequence is really powerful.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

This ending is making want to go wake up my kids and hug them.

This whole game is even more brutal as a parent. Thanks for the ride Grandma!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jimmy did his best. :smith:

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Man that ending is always gonna get me :(
I wonder what Jimmy was trying to remember?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

here's a sketch that I'm too lazy to actualize.

This is incredible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well poo poo :( At least there wasn't the sound of a flatline. Reminds me of the same pencil-style scene where Jimmy touches the Pulsating Mass.

Jimmy did his best, and so did you GP

E: is there a way to get a version of the credits that isn't all scrambled? Like by satisfying certain game conditions?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 11, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Good news, Jimbo! The operation was successful! You’re cancer-free!”

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kad posted:

Man that ending is always gonna get me :(
I wonder what Jimmy was trying to remember?

I think I remember hearing that, if you try to go back inside Jimmy's house after the world turns into a sketch, the text box says that Jimmy can't remember what his home looks like anymore.

C-Euro posted:

Well poo poo :( At least there wasn't the sound of a flatline. Reminds me of the same pencil-style scene where Jimmy touches the Pulsating Mass.

Jimmy did his best, and so did you GP

I've thought for a while about whether there's supposed to be any ambiguity to this ending or not. Obviously this is all we get since the entire game takes place in Jimmy's imagination, but this could signify that Jimmy's decided to wake up and deal with whatever comes next instead of his brain shutting down for good.

Probably not, though.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I was a bit unsatisfied with the ending. Not because Jimmy died, but because his last words were "I'm sorry" when I felt he had nothing to apologize for. Admittedly, my reaction is intentional on the game's part: what makes Jimmy's story a tragedy isn't just that he has cancer, but that he feels responsible for overcoming his own illness, leading to his crippling sense of self-loathing.

But there were hints throughout the game that Jimmy was overcoming that self-loathing. The initial ending has him overcome his dyslexia. By the endgame, Jimmy's default form is the most powerful, reflecting a more positive self-image. The Phoenix form can be seen as Jimmy accepting his death and in turn accepting his own powerlessness. Even in that final scene, the Pulsating Mass is no longer menacing over Jimmy. It just sits there waiting for the inevitable end alongside him. In a way, the Pulsating Mass was defeated. It's monstrous veil - Jimmy's fear and self-loathing - has been stripped away to reveal its true form: a terrible stroke of bad luck, something out of Jimmy's control.

It's a pet peeve, but "I'm sorry" just feels antithetical to this character development.If it were me, I would change it to "Thank you"

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Now that the last video is uploaded, it feels appropriate to bring this musical tidbit up: the beeping synth sound that punctuates some measures in the opening/"A" section of the title screen/credits music is the same synth patch or sample used for the heart monitor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jimmy & the pulsating mass: a closed window

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

theGrooseofLegend posted:

It's a pet peeve, but "I'm sorry" just feels antithetical to this character development.If it were me, I would change it to "Thank you"

I think what I would do is change it based off the outcome of the optional family fight. It'd be a small thing but if you beat them, change "I'm Sorry" to "Thank you" to reflect getting over that last fear.

There's one last video showing what the stones are for because I didn't want to leave you going out on a sad note.

Also I promised something for Plant Monster

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 11, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't think the final message should change. the intractability of jimmy's plot is probably its most controversial aspect but it's also what gives it such impact. of course beating your cancer in a dream isn't going to make your cancer go away. it doesn't even give jimmy much in the way of spiritual relief - the only evidence of his growth is the fact that he finally lets himself die. the heart prison is just another example of that trend. jimmy confronting his most secret fear ultimately does nothing but remind him that the fear exists

that's clear before this final sequence as well. jimmy reading the secret knowledge is obvious wish-fulfillment on his part, but reality sets in again before the credits finish rolling

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Not to mention I see the entire story as something of a condemnation of the damage the 'battle with cancer' narrative can cause by putting the blame for suffering and dying on the victim of a disease that doesn't give a drat how hard they 'fight it'.

Yes, it's about a lot of other things, but the way people talk about cancer leading to a deep spiritual pain in an empathic child who is slowly dying of a disease he doesn't really understand really stands out. Him ending with the fear that he wasn't 'good enough', even though we, the audience, have seen repeatedly that Jimmy is a good kid with a rich internal life and a kind heart really underscores it. We know Jimmy did his best, we know none of this was his fault, but the way people talk about cancer and the way he experienced his disease means that maybe he doesn't, even after everything that happened.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GrandmaParty posted:

I think what I would do is change it based off the outcome of the optional family fight. It'd be a small thing but if you beat them, change "I'm Sorry" to "Thank you" to reflect getting over that last fear.

Eh, I’d rather the last family fight have resolution at the end rather than further condemnation. It’s kind of annoying to beat that super boss and not actually make any progress on the issue it represents.

Jimmy can’t truly fight the cancer in his mind. All he can do is confront his own thoughts. But he should at least be able to succeed at that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a running theme of futility, it seems to me. Jimmy, obviously, can't defeat cancer. He can't fight it, he can't outsmart it, he can't will it away. He tries to get stronger by facing his fears, but even when he overcomes them they're not gone - they'll be back, such as in the heart dungeon. He can't even imagine happier endings for his family; he tries to fix Lars' life in his head and Lars just abandons it, because that's who he is; he can't prove himself to Buck or to Andrew and become what they wanted him to be; and ultimately he has to leave Helga.

And you can't change the ending. No matter how much you stick around and keep improving the world, Jimmy will die. Everything is, ultimately, a last childish fantasy before the final curtain, and you know that. Nothing you do can actually help. As one last twist of the knife, the only decision you make that impacts the outside world is the final step out of the front door to accept Jimmy's fate.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 12, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What happens if you go back to The Pulsating Mass dungeon after clearing it? Can you re-fight it or is the final area blocked off?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Was it shown what happens when you Game Over? And on that note, do you Game Over anywhere else than the Black Prophet? I imagine you do vs. the Pulsating Mass :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Kasey Ozymy really doesn't do happy endings. :v:

get that OUT of my face posted:

That fight, fuckin woof. When I first got to the end of that corridor and saw it emptied out into Jimmy's house, I said "oh no." I know I was going to be in for both a very hard fight and yet another emotional gut punch.

If you go by the theory that I choose to have about the Heart Dungeon and that it's a place for Jimmy's deepest, darkest fears, the fight against Jimmy's family shows that one of them is the fear that his family will forget him and hate him after he dies.

I mean, it's literally in an area called the "heart prison". It's what he keeps locked deepest in his heart.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Was it shown what happens when you Game Over? And on that note, do you Game Over anywhere else than the Black Prophet? I imagine you do vs. the Pulsating Mass :smith:

Just booted to the title, and I think Black Prophet's the only one?

theGrooseofLegend posted:

. The Phoenix form can be seen as Jimmy accepting his death and in turn accepting his own powerlessness.

I sort of assumed the Phoenix form represented something 'peace in death'. Considering it can kill itself and heal others.

Qrr posted:

Eh, I’d rather the last family fight have resolution at the end rather than further condemnation. It’s kind of annoying to beat that super boss and not actually make any progress on the issue it represents.

Jimmy can’t truly fight the cancer in his mind. All he can do is confront his own thoughts. But he should at least be able to succeed at that.

I mean the point sort of is that there's no catharsis. You can't achieve "peace" or "happiness", but at the very least you can get "closure". Accepting you've done everything you can.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 13, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Alternate ending: "I'm not sorry"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Alternate ending: "I'm not sorry"

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the small child Jimmy. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the small child Jimmy. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

...What?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The key to a successful LP is to have no dignity and a wife willing to make fart sounds for you.

https://youtu.be/bwtN5BqaBJo

For Plant Monster.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GrandmaParty posted:

The key to a successful LP is to have no dignity and a wife willing to make fart sounds for you.

For Plant Monster.

:bisonyes:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

GrandmaParty posted:

For Plant Monster.

:allears: Glorious.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
:five:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

For Plant Monster.

I bought the game because you and Kacey made me feel for Jimmy, but I feel like you have shaken me too. End this on a high note. You have shaken every thing that is possible, including my soul.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

For Plant Monster.

#relationshipgoals

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

For Plant Monster.

:perfect:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
:allears:

Thank you very much! I feel a warmth inside of me that is now being violently shaken. And it's not the poop-cramps.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Fantastic work on finishing your LP, Grandma.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It’s so sad what happened to that poor boy who died of cancer.

Any way, let’s play some golf!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
It's hard to go through that door, but it's cruel to keep Jimmy hanging in limbo, too. Seems only right to go outside once you've wrapped up your business in the game.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mizuti posted:

It's hard to go through that door, but it's cruel to keep Jimmy hanging in limbo, too. Seems only right to go outside once you've wrapped up your business in the game.

We went through the door in episode 47.

It wasn't good.

Episode 48, the real last episode, will be up tonight.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Speaking of wrapping up, I guess you've got to gather up the last bits of fanart. Moon Baby must be immortalized. (My art for Jonathon Bear didn't make it into the post, if you want to toss that one in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 48 is up

Short and sweet. Because I can't leave you going out on a bad note.

Let's go out on something good.

Katherine and Scabs join me for the last things to do.

Thanks for joining me. It's been a fantastic LP.

I'm going to leave it open to clean up the op, fan posts, and let solitair finish the furniture.

NEXT WEEK: GOLF. TWICE. TWO DIFFERENT KINDS.

Commentary On

No Commentary

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Y41lbzU.png[/img]