Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Somehow i have to advance these Koch Bros talking points as progressive or else we lose their funding.

Wait you mean these dipshits actually believed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
this program is brought to you in part by del taco, who encourages you to try their new cheddar potato jalapeno papists

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also how funny is it that over the past decade NPR has slid fully into 'underwriting' that includes full on ad copy for products?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Lmao

Dorothy Lynch
Jul 3, 2018
I like NPR

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Narcotic Public Radio

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

holy poo poo

I'm Danaiel Sunderland-Mocha and today we'll be doing a deep dive into personal stories involving mundane everyday bullshit that our interviewees are blowing out of proportion into life changing events

Helen Kepoweliski had to buy some mustard on

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Montjgomery Londonderry

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Good soup! posted:

Helloooooo evvverrryooonnnneeee immmmmmmmmm diaaaane reeeeehm

Dementia! It's highly educational, as you can follow along with the show and track the disease's progress from the comfort of your own home!!

zakharov posted:

When Tom died of Alzheimers, Ray's quote in the press release was "I guess he really couldn't remember last week's Puzzler." Absolutely incredible.

:drat:

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

I didn't follow you guide but I'm James Ngumi Takahashi-McCleary al-Humaddin. nice to meet you, as you can tell im a citizen of the world in a way peasants like you couldn't hope to understand

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This Week on Our American Experience, Luxon Berru-Ingot walks skid row in search of her father. During Act 2, Arhenn-Hummus Mignonette confronts the perils of capitalism in the lunch line at Middle School. And to close it off, Willam Wiliam-Williams gets a vasectomy.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

This Week on Our American Experience, Luxon Berru-Ingot walks skid row in search of her father. During Act 2, Arhenn-Hummus Mignonette confronts the perils of capitalism in the lunch line at Middle School. And to close it off, Willam Wiliam-Williams gets a vasectomy.

this is loving beautiful

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In Culver City, I'm Reichard Truro. We go now to Gutwater, Wisconsin, where witnesses say they saw actions that some might consider racist at a rally last night on Donald Trump's campaign tour.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't recall the On Point story. They were talking about Keillor from PHC. The CBC guy was Jian Ghomeshi from the show Q, who is long since fired.

Public radio, like most media organizations right now, has serious problems with sexual harassment, a stagnant administrative culture, and a lack of advancement. They're going to be in real trouble in 20 years when they realize that every editor, supervisor, and recognizable voice at NPR is now 80+ years old.

This saddens me.

Tom Ashbrook was the host of On Point, which was/is your run-of-the-mill current events call-in show on the east coast. Surprise surprise, he was also a sex pest and meToo'd in december of 2017.

The lack of new ideas is tragic. Somewhere out there Jesse Thorn is trying to convince an idaho npr affiliate to pickup his perfectly good interview show while Car Talk has been eating air in reruns for the last decade.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 6, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
is the Chris Thile version of PHC/Live From Here any good? I love his music.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
Up next on all things considered....

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

*Punches Paula Poundstone for being unfunny*

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I like Paula on Wait Wait sorry sorry

The worst panelists are Mo Rocca and Bobcat Goldthwait by far

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

*makes $300,000 a year*

*begs for donations*

*has a liberal bias despite being partially publicly funded*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

also how funny is it that over the past decade NPR has slid fully into 'underwriting' that includes full on ad copy for products?
Fun fact, the legal requirement for underwriting is just that it not contain a call to action. You can say "Joe's Food: The Best Food There Is," but not "Eat At Joe's."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
*sounds of railways*
The sounds you are hearing are sounds that I've always known. It's the sound of trains, crucial for travel and commerce, sounds of a healthy community.

*sounds of forks clanking, plates, etc*
But lately, the folks of Heels Flat, Missipetucky have been hearing other sounds. Sounds that maybe suggest that things aren't as rosy as their 15% unemployment statistics may suggest.

*Sounds of: people chatting, vague racial slurs and "those people" can be discerned*
*Speaking: Hosiah Reynolds>> "Been livin here all my life, since I done moved here when I was 46. Things I'm hearin' now. . . well it just gets you thinking bout those kinds of people, you know. Sometimes... sometimes you just don't know"

Reynolds, now 49, credits a host of social ills on a new phenomenon. Where there were the sounds of trains, now Heels Flat hears... something new.

*a distant noise comes under the train, gradually increasing in volume until the song is clear and loud*

A new train operated by a colorful, Spanish speaking, conductor is causing waves. Some locals call it the Beanertown Express... and it's tearing the once-homogenous township apart with allegations..... .. .... of racism.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
schweaty balls right

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

*sounds of railways*
The sounds you are hearing are sounds that I've always known. It's the sound of trains, crucial for travel and commerce, sounds of a healthy community.

But lately, the folks of Heels Flat, Missipetucky have been hearing other sounds. Sounds that maybe suggest that things aren't as rosy as their 15% unemployment statistics may suggest.

*Sounds of: people chatting, vague racial slurs and "those people" can be discerned*
*Speaking: Hosiah Reynolds>> "Been livin here all my life, since I done moved here when I was 46. Things I'm hearin' now. . . well it just gets you thinking bout those kinds of people, you know. Sometimes... sometimes you just don't know"

Reynolds, now 49, credits a host of social ills on a new phenomenon. Where there were the sounds of trains, now Heels Flat hears... something new.

*a distant noise comes under the train, gradually increasing in volume until the song is clear and loud*

A new train operated by a colorful, Spanish speaking, conductor is causing waves. Some locals call it the Beanertown Express... and it's tearing the once-homogenous township apart with allegations..... .. .... of racism.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

zakharov posted:

yeah it's got most of what was charming about PHC, but I like his updates to the format, like songs written for each show about where they're performing, and some interpretations of songs written by famous musicians born that day

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fun fact, the legal requirement for underwriting is just that it not contain a call to action. You can say "Joe's Food: The Best Food There Is," but not "Eat At Joe's."
oh wow that explains a lot about how they phrase those, and can list off the exact movie opening that weekend, or that they want you to watch but just don't use the words "go see this"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

zakharov posted:

The sketches are awful, the musical numbers are good. Just like PHC but with a dude who can sing and refrain from touching women's unless they want it.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

let's do the numbers

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

oh wow that explains a lot about how they phrase those, and can list off the exact movie opening that weekend, or that they want you to watch but just don't use the words "go see this"
It's legit weird as poo poo, and it's only a broadcast law so NPR runs real ads on their site

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm Elanor Beardsley and I will go out of my way to report on some French poo poo in the most bizarre, unenthused and raspy tone possible because I think it counts toward journalistic objectivity.

Unless Notre Dame is burning to the ground then for some reason I sound like a normal human being for exactly one day.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

*sounds of railways*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

*sounds of railways*

this is extremely accurate but you forgot to mention Trump

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I have an obvious speech impediment but somehow nobody ever kicks me off the air.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
First time I listened to This American Life, Ira Glass was a masturbating young Jewish boy.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
*Con Salsa plays*

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bobcats posted:

I have an obvious speech impediment but somehow nobody ever kicks me off the air.

It was distracting but the lady had a stroke. A lot of deep insight into a number of radio shows people seem to hate with a passion.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Coolness Averted posted:

If I recall correctly from the broadcasting classes I took like 15 years ago, the only difference between underwriting and advertising is that underwriting cannot contain calls to action or comparative statements. Otherwise, it's all fair game as far as the FCC is concerned.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Time_pants posted:

If I recall correctly from the broadcasting classes I took like 15 years ago, the only difference between underwriting and advertising is that underwriting cannot contain calls to action or comparative statements. Otherwise, it's all fair game as far as the FCC is concerned.

It’s been mentioned twice on this page dude?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s been mentioned twice on this page dude?

Exactly. Marketing relies heavily on repetition to get the audience's attention.

sorry I'm actually dumb

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Look at all you uncultured swine

" Hi, uhhhh, this is... uhh Rich Baker. With ahhhhh the bluegrass ramble. Got some uhhh songs up here tonight and uhhhh. Ralph Stanley of course comin up for y'all and uhhh but first a little weather. (Papers shuffling) if I can find them here a heh heh heh."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pham Nuwen posted:

Car Talk was the best show on NPR

Oh poo poo, Pat Goss! I used to listen to that show as a teenager all the time. I was a ton of fun at parties.

Edit: wait no, I’m confusing Car Talk with Goss’ garage - but I listened to both.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

interwhat posted:

Look at all you uncultured swine

" Hi, uhhhh, this is... uhh Rich Baker. With ahhhhh the bluegrass ramble. Got some uhhh songs up here tonight and uhhhh. Ralph Stanley of course comin up for y'all and uhhh but first a little weather. (Papers shuffling) if I can find them here a heh heh heh."

"We've uhh got a song by request, so um here it is, thanks for calling in Karen." *30 seconds of dead air* "Sorry about that folks, I uhhhh forgot to press the switch."