Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

*gets fired for having an anglo name without at least three vowel replacements*

*actually fired him for being a giant sexpest for 40 years. Pretends I only just now found out and was SHOCKED*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Who What Now posted:

The Prairie Home Companion guy.

PHC loving sucked rear end even before it was revealed he was a sex pest. But that made me feel vindicated for hating it.

Tavis Smiley and Jian Ghomeshi also got fired in the past few years for stuff that was ignored for a bit too long. But yeah Garrison Kieller was kinda funny because they tried to give him every chance to quietly retire with a small mea culpa, but he insisted on raging about it and making it a huge story, so they fully scorched his show.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

are we talking about the guy who did On Point or the guy who did PHC? or how bout the CBC guy who liked the choke women during and not during sex?

PHC was who I had in mind, and Ghomeshi was the CBC guy from Q
the best part of that joke is like everyone gets to respond "Wait, are you talking about PHC, or these other 3 guys who aren't on my local stations anymore?"
there's something about the raw power of a grant from the national endowment for the arts and raytheon that makes your dick a weapon

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
this program is brought to you in part by del taco, who encourages you to try their new cheddar potato jalapeno papists

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also how funny is it that over the past decade NPR has slid fully into 'underwriting' that includes full on ad copy for products?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

zakharov posted:

is the Chris Thile version of PHC/Live From Here any good? I love his music.
yeah it's got most of what was charming about PHC, but I like his updates to the format, like songs written for each show about where they're performing, and some interpretations of songs written by famous musicians born that day

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fun fact, the legal requirement for underwriting is just that it not contain a call to action. You can say "Joe's Food: The Best Food There Is," but not "Eat At Joe's."
oh wow that explains a lot about how they phrase those, and can list off the exact movie opening that weekend, or that they want you to watch but just don't use the words "go see this"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blistex posted:

Can we also do CBC? They're very similar.

<plays a good song by a talented artist>
<I am confused that it's not one of their absolutely mediocre poo poo standby bands/artists>
<CBC host> "And that was "Major Tom" by David Bowie, who passed away yesterday at the age of . . . "
"gently caress!"

<few months later hear them play "When Doves Cry">

m-mods? Someone is derailing the thread
I've also legit mistaken the original "Everywhere" by Fleetwood, and 'Man Who Sold the World' by Bowie for covers after not hearing them forever when they popped on my local music public radio station and felt pretty dumb
more so than usual

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 7, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Code Jockey posted:

hello and welcome to the dinner party downl

*rips radio from car, throws it onto freeway*

lol imagine having such a lovely podcast the only way you can get people to listen to it is by convincing your friends to air it on the radio station where you work

now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to host a half hour listener call in segment about Morning Edition's new theme music *ignores the literal millions of civilians dying in the Philippines and Yemen thanks to our arms deals and support*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gay Weed Dad posted:

This in tandem with the child abuse allegations (still not 100% on what happened there) always struck me as really strange choice on NPR's end.

she openly admits to drunk driving with her foster children, and pled guilty to 'lewd conduct' with a foster daughter under 14. The prosecutors alleged she inappropriately touched the girl for sexual reasons. She maintains her innocence on the lewd conduct/touching. The court records are sealed, but she also took a plea deal to get them to drop full on child molestation charges.

it's also really weird that they gave her a mock court show

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pershing posted:

Today they had John Yoo on to talk about the Trump administration's fight with the Congress over Trump's executive privilege claims.

Absolutely zero mention of his Bush-era role as the author of the torture memos and related fuckery.

Thanks for rehabilitating him, NPR

All things considered? No they did in the intro just didn't confront him at all, bring it up in the interview or in any way signal he might be on shakey ground when it comes to talking about executive power since he was willing to go on record saying 'tromp might be bad'

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Captain Beans posted:

Does Wade Goodwyn get national air time? Or do I just hear him because I’m listening in Texas?

He sounds like they interviewed people to cover Texas news and picked him because they thought “oh poo poo that dude sounds Texan as gently caress”. They are right though, he’s the only one who doesn’t sound like the audiobook narrator for The Atlantic.

https://youtu.be/RmAkYM5JTm8

yes but only for texas issues
he's the official npr texan

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

UltraRed posted:

Don't forget the mods

im sorry that cspam hurt you but its time for lightning fill in the blank

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
this week's game is a little something we like to call 'mods knew,' as always if you can successfully answer at least two of the three puzzles, you get this week's prize!
forum user UltraRed, you could win Jimmy Carter's voice on your own personalized outgoing voicemail!

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Relayer posted:

you seem pretty mad about npr

we're not mad, just dissapointed