Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xaris posted:

*static white noise followed by loud ding dong*
THIS
*car tires locking up skidding and crashing into a wall*
IS
*loud cat rowling*
RADIO
*spooky dramatic synth bite*
LABS
*loud big ben clock striking gong*
TODAY WE
*lightning strike*
TALKING
*loud firework exploding noise*
ABOUT
*machine gun fire noises*
AN APE
*soda can popping open loudly*
WITH
*10 seconds of long dramatic silence*
SYPHILLIS

*40-person chorus begins chanting *
syphillis syphillis syphillis SYPHILLIS SYPHILLIS SYPHILLIS SYPHILLIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when frank deford got bumped from once a week to once a month

swear to god he sounded drunk on the air when he announced the schedule change

remember when frank deford was all "sigghh too bad he's a rapist, because he's a really good basketball player, but hey, some people are just rapists and thems are the breaks"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm Ofeibea Quist-Arcton

*inhales*

DAKAAAAAAAAAR

DAKAAAAAAAHHH

*In extremely scornful voice*
I'm Eleanor Beardsly in Paris.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In Culver City, I'm Reichard Truro. We go now to Gutwater, Wisconsin, where witnesses say they saw actions that some might consider racist at a rally last night on Donald Trump's campaign tour.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FilthyImp posted:

Today we'll look at the harrowing tale of a nice, outgoing white girl who is sex-positive.

In act one she'll talk about how hard it was for people in religious communities to accept her message.

In act two, she wrestles with being an inclusive feminist and a good ally.

Then in act three, tragedy, when some college kids ask her to be more mindful. This leads her down a path to the alt-right, eventually dicking down with someone who, just 3 weeks prior, was harassing her online.

The afterwards is a bunch of wondering why her old friends suddenly don't talk to her"
lol they literally did this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I thought she only abused stones :imunfunny:

this is exactly as funny as paula poundstone

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

My npr local affiliate is hosted by a lady who looks and sounds exactly like a cross between the woman who was the host of the carmen sandiego gameshow and a retired vice principal

she's great and i like hearing her talk dispassionately about school shootings in the denver area

oh poo poo I was just thinking "that's jo ann allen" and then you confirmed

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bonzo posted:

If you've not seen this, definitely check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Jian Ghomeshi is crazy, stuck up rear end in a top hat and it's nice to hear Billy give him poo poo. This was a good 10 years before we Ghomeshi's min controversy.

holy poo poo that "danny baker" guy is unknown hinson

edit: this clip is proclick, billy bob just does his best to keep gomeshi derailed

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m Gwen Tompkins and in this story about a Spanish language radio program, the only name I will aggressively overpronounce is Jean-Paul Sartre.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

doctorfrog posted:

I don't notice it that much anymore, but sometimes it's kinda distracting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgBgpFJYto

gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yeah I eat rear end posted:

why do all the girls on npr talk like they're that lady from The Grudge where they extend all their words with croaks and stuff

it's annoying, what's the deal with this

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think it's called vocal fry and according to a story I heard on NPR once, by criticizing it you're a... *barely-relevant sound effect*... sexist.

It was on this American life. In some poll that they never really got into, probably of huffington post users, women with upspeak and vocal fry were ranked as sounding authoritative and trustworthy over more traditional sounding female news anchors like Nina totenberg. So disliking vocal fry and upspeak is both misogyny and age-discrimination since it’s a thing of millenialish generations. But ira glass also acknowledged that he does both a lot so :shrug:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got curious and went back looking for it. Here it is: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps/act-two

I guess women on TAL staff disproportionately caught a lot of poo poo for it. So maybe disliking vocal fry isn't misogyny per se, but most of the hate mail and internet commenting is directed at women. And it's another outgrowth of the unfair lens held to women's behavior in our society.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The reason he had to keep chasing down exotic dog food, eventually landing on kangaroo, is the dog developed allergies to every other protein source.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Andrew Codrescu retired to the Ozarks very close to where my family lives. Never saw him, but apparently his yard is full of weird old poo poo and dead trees he drags up. So really no different than the average Ozark property.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Senator if I could just-
But you yourself said-
But-
Senator-
Senator he even used the term “Islamic travel ban” himself, how can you-
Fifteen seconds senator.
Thank you republican senator Cory Gardner, it was a great honor to be shouted over by you this morning.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ultimateforce posted:

Can we agree Car Talk owns?

well yeah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah wow

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

there was a breakthrough yesterday on all things considered. audie cornish actually said "racist remarks by the president" or something like that instead of "remarks considered by some to be racist" or other waffly bullshit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Moridin920 posted:

Alexandper Sofia-Digger, live from Belgrade

Did we date the same girl in high school?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

I'm howie menshevik and here's my take on the subtle biblical allegories hidden in the secret life of pets 2

I will break down doors to get into a room with him on the radio so I can turn it off. Film critics are all mostly poo poo but that man is like a Portlandia caricature of how poo poo they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m Steven Dubner and this has been my interview with Charles Koch, one of the most controversial figures in the political world today. I avoided all talk of the billions of dollars Charles and his brother David funneled into anti-environmental causes and climate change denial so that I could feel better about being an upper middle class white male. You know what I came away from this interview with? The Koch Brothers are actually good. This has been Freakonomics.

-hip musical interlude-

Got an idea of how to make rich people feel better about being rich? Email is your ideas and we may do an episode about it.