Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

gleebster posted:

I'm Lakshmi Siiiiiiiiiiiiingh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Car Talk was the best show on NPR

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

*sounds of railways*
The sounds you are hearing are sounds that I've always known. It's the sound of trains, crucial for travel and commerce, sounds of a healthy community.

*sounds of forks clanking, plates, etc*
But lately, the folks of Heels Flat, Missipetucky have been hearing other sounds. Sounds that maybe suggest that things aren't as rosy as their 15% unemployment statistics may suggest.

*Sounds of: people chatting, vague racial slurs and "those people" can be discerned*
*Speaking: Hosiah Reynolds>> "Been livin here all my life, since I done moved here when I was 46. Things I'm hearin' now. . . well it just gets you thinking bout those kinds of people, you know. Sometimes... sometimes you just don't know"

Reynolds, now 49, credits a host of social ills on a new phenomenon. Where there were the sounds of trains, now Heels Flat hears... something new.

*a distant noise comes under the train, gradually increasing in volume until the song is clear and loud*

A new train operated by a colorful, Spanish speaking, conductor is causing waves. Some locals call it the Beanertown Express... and it's tearing the once-homogenous township apart with allegations..... .. .... of racism.

this is extremely accurate but you forgot to mention Trump

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

interwhat posted:

Look at all you uncultured swine

" Hi, uhhhh, this is... uhh Rich Baker. With ahhhhh the bluegrass ramble. Got some uhhh songs up here tonight and uhhhh. Ralph Stanley of course comin up for y'all and uhhh but first a little weather. (Papers shuffling) if I can find them here a heh heh heh."

"We've uhh got a song by request, so um here it is, thanks for calling in Karen." *30 seconds of dead air* "Sorry about that folks, I uhhhh forgot to press the switch."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vato posted:

No, NOW we have this other show which is just as annoying as whatever from Lake Wobegone.

But does the host get all whispery and whistle on the letter 's'?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bonzo posted:

I'm there reporter talking in non perfect regional dialect that switches to a heavy accent once I pronounce my non Anglo-Saxon last name.

Now say "latino"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Latiño

loving nailed it

I assume there's weekly meetings at KQED as they try to figure out the best way to pronounce this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

poisonpill posted:

There have been many responses to (derisive voice) Trump’s Trade War. But one you may not have heard about, (insanely smug voice) comes from the donkeys! The donkey trade in (voice immediately sounds like a white woman impersonating Speedy Gonzalez) Tee-hah-hoooanya, Meh-heeee-koh (tumbleweed rolls by, Mariachi guitar strum)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

why do all the girls on npr talk like they're that lady from The Grudge where they extend all their words with croaks and stuff

it's annoying, what's the deal with this

I think it's called vocal fry and according to a story I heard on NPR once, by criticizing it you're a... *barely-relevant sound effect*... sexist.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

The twittosphere is currently buzzing *bee sounds* with the NPR name generator *electronic beeps and boops* but is it possible this seemingly harmless game is... *overlong pause* racist?

I'm just mad because I don't know where my mom's family was in the 1850s, and my high school girlfriend didn't have a dog

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Isn't that something some specific breeds of ticks cause?

Lone Star ticks can cause an allergy to red meat, at least in humans.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Driving cross-country on a weekend, the best thing that can happen was coming across Car Talk on some NPR station.

When it was over I'd grudgingly listen to Prairie Home Companion, switching away whenever I got overly strong douche-chills from the musical acts or the sex pest whistling on the letter 's'.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Luxrage posted:

I'll never forget the best car talk moment I ever heard on the radio: A caller had called in about her car running low on oil on the way home and throwing a bunch of warning lights. Instead of stopping the car when it happened she had made it all the way home while the car was making all sorts of horrible noises. During the call she offers to start the car and you can hear over the garbled phone static the car's engine basically grenade itself. I just remember Ray going "You might want to sit down for this prognosis" and Tom laughing his rear end off while this poor person murders their car on air.

"There's a bunch of fluid coming out under the car now..."

I haven't had a magical moment like that on any other NPR show, Car Talk was one of a kind.

I still quote their answer to the question "How far can I drive when the oil light comes on?"

"All the way to the side of the road."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm the guy working at NPR whose job is to clean the loads off the microphone. A few hosts have requested that I leave the loads where they lay.

everybody keeps asking if they can gently caress the tote bags. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, she developed vocal polyps.

It's spasmodic dysphonia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia