Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Please help me welcome our special guest host, Tig Notaro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm there reporter talking in non perfect regional dialect that switches to a heavy accent once I pronounce my non Anglo-Saxon last name.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Now say "latino"

Latiņo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Genesplicer posted:

Having actually worked at a public radio station (Pacifica Radio, though, not NPR) I can tell you that a lot of this is frighteningly accurate.

Accurate for CBC radio too. Anna Maria Tremonti takes a good 20 seconds to say her name and constantly saying, "hmmmm" and "mmm" during interviews.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you've not seen this, definitely check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Jian Ghomeshi is crazy, stuck up rear end in a top hat and it's nice to hear Billy give him poo poo. This was a good 10 years before we Ghomeshi's min controversy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

No NPR here in :canada: but we do have CBC which is just a guilty of doing all the things listed in this thread.

However there is a program called This Is That and every week it succeeds in tricking some idiots into thinking these are real stories.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat

errr....Did. Seems they are not making new ones.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I had to stop listening to This American Life around the time of the US election because I get sick and hearing the same poo poo over and over.

But what really did it for me is that I never knew what Ira Glass looked like. Once I did it was over. His voice and looks make me think its Fred Armisen doing a character so I just tune out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Didn't Serial try to follow one of Adnan's appeals (maybe the last one?) and it immediately got shot down?

Serial made the right choice IMO to focus on (basically) poor people going through the justice system in season 3. Not only is it more interesting and shorter in form, the handwringing is more over what a lovely time they have of it whether they're obviously guilty or not, and opens the question about whether some larger sense of justice is being served. But of course they can only publish it for a month and then they're gone for a year. I'm sure they individually have other projects they're working on.

Feels like a long time since I've been subjected to a MailChimp ad.

"S Town" is a great listen and also focuses on poor people in the justice system. I can't really describe the rest of the podcast without spoiling it. I will say that they were correct in releasing all the episodes at once because if they didn't social media would have hosed up the lives of a few people for no reason.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

*sitting rush hour traffic, 6pm Eastern*

This is The World Cafe. Today we'll start the show with a somber, slow solo piano form our guest. Then we'll spend the next 20 minutes talking in soft, moderate, docile tones, as slowly inhaling the exhaust fumes of the F250 idling in front of you while moving 3mph.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cessna posted:

Is Paula Poundstone a child molester or not? Surely there is a middle ground here.

quote:

In October 2001, Poundstone was charged with felony child endangerment in connection with driving while intoxicated with children in the car. She was also charged with three counts of lewd acts upon a girl younger than 14.[11] She changed her earlier plea of not guilty, and, in exchange, prosecutors dropped three counts of committing lewd acts against a child and added a misdemeanor count of inflicting injury upon a child.[11][12] Poundstone also pleaded no contest to one count of felony child endangerment.[12] She was sentenced to probation and six months in rehabilitation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.[12] In 2002, Poundstone talked about her personal responsibility for the events that led to her arrest and the steps she has taken, including a six-month treatment program for alcoholism, but said that she did not commit any lewd acts or child abuse.

She got caught driving drunk with kids in the car, pleads "no contest" (which means you are not saying you did but also not saying you didn't) and then later says, "Well sorry everyone, i was drunk at the time!".

I guess its a matter for the courts if she did or didn't but gently caress her for putting kids in these situations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cessna posted:

Yeah, that's more than enough for me to turn off the radio when she's on.

Mo Rocca
Paula Poundstone

Is NPR where former Comedy Central personalities go to die? Good think Marc Maron has his own thing going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

That is crazy accurate

Right?