Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

And now for a completely objective story on the feasibility of Medicare for All brought to you by our partners at Kaiser Permanente

*isn't really much better than Fox or MSNBC, but tricks the rubes listening into thinking it's Objective and Fact-based by using a certain tone of voice*

NPR takes advantage of the fact that many liberals understand "lying is wrong" but don't understand that there are other ways to deceive or mislead the listener. In the case of NPR this is usually through using a skeptical tone of voice when talking about the left and just sort of implying that there are "serious concerns" about their positions (though it's often even worse than this when the topic is something related to foreign policy).

To its credit, NPR can be okay when it's covering things completely unrelated to politics.

Captain Beans posted:

who knows how the gently caress this guy got on the radio, he sounds like a snake person

Haha yeah, every time that guy shows up I'm stunned that he is allowed to repeatedly speak on the radio. He doesn't sound like a snake person to me, though; it just sounds like his tongue is massively swollen and getting in the way when he tries to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kai Ryssdal gives me a similar feeling to Pete Buttigieg, in that I can easily imagine both those men committing acts of grievous violence against other human beings with a straight face.

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I heard it this morning too. Very unusual tone to her voice. Never heard about the violin though.
E: danged if I can find that audio on npr.org at the moment though.

The voice tone thing is often how they slip in anti-left weirdness. Like, when they discuss Bernie Sanders or whatever they'll use this tone of voice that is full of doubt/skepticism, or they'll discuss left-wing protesters with this "get a load of these folks" tone. It results in transcripts that often look relatively normal, but if you're actually listening to the segment it's obvious.

edit: Their reporting during Occupy Wallstreet is what ended up driving me away from listening to NPR on my commute. I'll occasionally try listening to them again, but I'll usually encounter some dumb bullshit within like 10 minutes.