Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*discovers schockingly chomsky is about to get on air in about an hour with an interview in which he had to be pre-recorded and write out a script of what he was going to say*

*replaces interview with filler music and breathes sigh of relief*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

uh oh sanders just introduced a medicare for all bill in the senate with like a dozen cosponsors

*airs discussion panel of 2 people talking to each other about why it's unrealistic and fairy dusting without inviting on any pro-medicare for all voice*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CSPAM was insufferable during the 2016 elections, but the people who made it insufferable and probably like NPR have mostly vacated after the 2016 elections. Now it's filled with people who recognize that trump trying to overthrow the government of venezuela is bad, unlike NPR.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*starts sweating over guest phoning in talking about america's horrible history of imperialism in south america, how the US previously tried to coup venezuela in 2002, and how supporting trump in overthrowing venezuela to take over the oil is bad*

*invited guest dismisses criticisms as venezuelan and russian propaganda*

*breathes sigh of relief and continues onto next caller sympathetic to overthrowing the government of venezuela*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Welcome back to the program Noah Failson from the Fuckhead Policy Institute. Now tell us more about how Putin is using instagram memes to mind control americans into supporting Trump and Black Lives Matter.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anecdote from chomsky about getting so angry listening to npr he got a speeding ticket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLaP_-KXPDY&t=16s

I noticed this same thing when NPR vacuously talked about stuff like how great Macron is without specifying what policies he supports.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I heard npr live in my car talk about the sinister russian plot to use instagram to mind control americans

They won't shut the gently caress about russian mind control rays

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*talks about yet another record-breaking hottest day*

*stays on script and makes sure not to mention climate change*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

*hits scan button and for some reason it lands on 88.1*

"... and... ... .. that's when... .. . ... ... when I knew. :long sigh:

my water was racist"

:long droning transition music:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

i was coming home from dropping the old lady at the denver airport and some local affiliate, i think it was KUNC, was either interviewing or rebroadcasting an interview with richard wolff. was good unlike actual npr
dick wolff is primo tier

Wolff focuses on systemic critiques that result in bad behavior causing crisis in society. NPR is instead hyper-focused on blaming individuals and bad actors for crisis and if only people stopped being bad people everything in the world would be so harmonious and we'd have the perfect status quo.

Wolff does really great bi-monthly 'Global Capitalism' talks on his youtube channels if anyone is interested

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 30, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*cheery staccato horns blare*
Next up we talk about a market where supply...doesn't meet demand.

*dramatic pause*

You can't buy a kidney. You can't pay for someone's college education for one. You can't buy someone a car for one. Next up, on freakonomocs.

*horns fade out*

npr did this this morning

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*does an acoustic set of bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb iran but with wispy womyn vocal fry and ukuleles*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*dials window of allowable discourse between politely calling trump a pussy rear end bitch for not bombing iran and "showing america's strength" and "not bumbling into a war"*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*following NPR journalistic guidelines on careful verbiage*

today the trump administration announced it will provide Enhanced Interrogation of illegal alien children at the new Augmented Detainment Facilities to help deal with the Caravan Crisis

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ross Perot just died, so I'm obligated to inform you that Jill Stein and Ralph Nader's only purpose is to steal votes.

This is NPR.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The economy is doing amazing and fantastic! Now let me segue that cheerleading into explaining why it might be good that fed chairman powell wants to cut interest rates despite everything you hear from NPR on how you shouldn't cut interest rates when the economy is doing good!

This is MarketPlace.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*is allergic to the words torture and racist*
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1151497294476447745

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*finds anti-nazis problematic*

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1154855357048655872

*platforms nazi white supremacists*

https://twitter.com/ross_hewage/status/1154938047105863680

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

we can't let an anti-nazi in here, what if she upsets our nazi guests?

what's that? why have nazi guests? this interview is over.
*literally defends platforming nazis after people get pissed off about it*
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/13/638102276/npr-criticized-for-interview-with-white-supremacist-jason-kessler

quote:

All right, an interview that ran on this program last Friday sparked a great deal of criticism. The interview was with Jason Kessler, an organizer of the white supremacist demonstrations in Charlottesville, Va., a year ago. He also planned yesterday's Unite the Right rally here in Washington, D.C. Many commentators criticized NPR, saying we gave Kessler a platform to broadcast hateful views. NPR put out a statement saying it stands by the airing of this interview. NPR's David Folkenflik put on his media critic's hat to take a look and a listen.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I forgot to add the main tweet for context that the subject in question who used to be a contributor to npr is no longer a contributor because they are anti-nazi
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1154839540550569986

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Original_Z posted:

The newest Planet Money is about the topic of “Elizabeth Warren wants to tax the ultra rich, which failed in Europe! What can we learn from that?” They go into many reasons why the idea is a bad one and would probably cost more than revenue. For the other side they find some guy who got rich by investing on Amazon early on and says he’s worried about people with pitchforks coming after him during a revolution and therefore rich people should pay more in taxes before the guillotines come out. The hosts keep pushing him and asking him how far it would take for him to no longer support the tax and he admits that if he no longer makes profit off of residual income and interest rates he would no longer support it.

Guess the idea is doomed to fail! Even those who support it are big hypocrites, now a word from our sponsors, Bettermint and Wells Fargo!
*omits the time period that the US had over a 90+% top marginal federal income tax bracket which was a compromise from 100% which led to massive rising median living standards and real wages*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Somehow the top marginal tax rate being 70-90% until the 1980s resulting in an era of much less wealth inequality compared to the Gilded Age and today always slips the minds of the Very Informed people at institutions like NPR when discussing tax policy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm going to get my guest to regurgitate trump talking points that China is "cheating", they're underhanded, and they're "manipulating their currency" in Bad Ways and I'm going to uncritically accept them.

This is Here and Now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

lmao especially in light of trump's china tweets today, I wonder how NPR will respond

Also, David Koch is dead, here's hoping you're not in the will, NPR
https://twitter.com/npr/status/1164882685472452608?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Good Afternoon this is NPR with some shithead from the New Yorker here to tell you why it's bad that *checks notes* John Bolton was fired.