Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hello, and welcome to Distrust! Release in August 2017, it's a survival rougelike by Siberian developers, Cheerdealers, and published by Alawar. Taking inspiration from John Carpenter's The Thing, you take on the role of the survivors of a search and rescue team after their helicopter crashes while responding to an SOS in a remote arctic base. Comparisons end with the game's aesthetics, though, for while there are alien anomalies, don't expect Lovecraftian horrors or infection mechanics. The "distrust" comes from whether or not you can trust your fellow survivor. The game includes a co-op mode, but we'll be playing singleplayer for the purposes of this LP.

: : :Gameplay Explanation: : :
The game starts with two survivors trying to make their way through the arctic base's zones to get to whatever alien anomaly awaits them in Zone 6 (a third survivor from the base can be found along the way). Each zone is in an increasing state of disarray as the survivors get closer and closer to whatever caused the distress signal in the first place. Unfortunately, the exit to each zone is blocked by a unique barrier that must be removed in order to progress. The survivors must work together to survive long enough to solve the puzzle so that they may move forward. If the survivors reach Zone 6 (and that's a big "if", I expect many of you to die trying), then they have the opportunity to achieve one of four endings depending on what requirements they've met along the way. Each zone is randomly generated, as are the exit puzzles required to escape them.

While scavenging for resources and solving clues, the survivors must maintain their health. The arctic environment is unforgiving, so this is a critical part of the gameplay. There are four aspects of a survivor that must be maintained: Health, Warmth, Stamina, and Satiety.
  • Health - This is your health bar. If it reaches zero, you slip into unconsciousness. If you are not revived within the timer, you die.
  • Warmth - How long you can withstand the cold. If it reaches zero, you start to freeze and could catch a cold, which affects your health.
  • Stamina - How tired you are. If it reaches zero, you become exhausted. The longer you go without sleep, the more you risk hallucinating and picking up one of the game's many madnesses. Being exhausted also damages your health.
  • Satiety - How hungry you are. If it reaches zero, you're starving. If you're starving, it negatively impacts your health.

To maintain these take your medicine, stay indoors by the fire, get lots of sleep, and eat healthy meals. No biggie, right?

To say anymore would be spoilers, and I'd rather goons stumble upon those as they come across them in the LP.

: : :LP Rules: : :
As this isn't a turn-based game, I've come up with some rules in order for it to run as a forum Let's Play. To prevent this LP from getting bogged down, certain things will be "automated". The explanations below will hopefully clarify:
  • If you want to play, pick a character (I'll list them below). Each character has a certain tolerance for the cold, walk speed, and run speed, as well as a unique talent that helps them survive. I will detail them all below.
  • (To clarify, "tolerance for cold" determines how quickly your Warmth meter drains, "walk speed" is how quickly you move when in a dark building, and "run speed" is how quickly you move when outside or in a lit building).
  • Each run will start with two survivors. We will go in order that people signed up. A third survivor can be found in a later zone. This may allow a participant to "jump the queue" and get into the LP sooner than they signed up.
  • If you don't have a preference for a survivor, I will use a random number generator to pick one for you. Although, if a third survivor is found on the base and is a character no one has chosen, this may be an opportunity to "jump the queue".
  • At the end of every update, I will post a shot of the zone map and your shared inventory, barring the first update of a run which will consist only of a map and inventory shot.
  • This LP is scored and I have made a key that scores things survivors do to rate their run. The highest score means that goon is, of course, the greatest of all time, no questions asked. Actions can either give points or penalize players. What does what is hidden until a goon stumbles across it.
  • Technicalities will be marked for posterity and transparency.
  • There are coin-toss events that randomly occur throughout the game. Rather than stop an update with at a coin-toss, the player sign-up questionnaire will decide how a survivor will react when presented with one.
  • When a survivor enters a building, I will have them search for as many things as I can spot. An update will continue as long as a survivor can perform basic scavenging functions. If and when an obstacle or danger crops up, I will stop the update to get further input from the player in the thread as to how to proceed.
  • Goons playing a survivor in a run will give orders in the thread and I will do my best to interpret them accurately. If an obstacle or a danger or some other thing that require clarification crops up, I will stop the update and post for further input.
  • The goon that picked the specific survivor has full say on what their survivor does--unless they don't respond before an update. If a goon fails to give orders for their survivor, the update will proceed as usual. That particular survivor will either a) do nothing, assuming other posters in the thread haven't made any suggestions as to what to do, or b) do something based on whatever is the most agreed upon thread suggestion--in event of a tie, they will do nothing. Either of these options will be considered a temporary madness and will negatively affect the goon's score.
  • Updates will hopefully occur at least four times a week. If the playing survivors are on top of their turns, potentially more frequently. Once an update is live, the survivors will have approximately 48 hours to get their orders in. If they are unable to, one of the above penalties will occur. This is not an entirely strict rule and meant as more of a guideline to prevent the thread from stalling. If the goons reading the thread demand blood, so be it. If they wish to grant leniency, that will also be honour within reason. Again, this rule and the penalties are largely to prevent the LP from stalling.
  • Zone 1 is basically a milk-run. Once a pair of survivors have passed Zone 1, any future run will take place from Zone 2. Zone 1 players will be marked in scoring purposes for the trail-blazing service they have done.

Sign-ups are closed for now.

Sign-Up Questions posted:

1) Character you want to play as, or no preference
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS TRUE OR FALSE:
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! T/F
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. T/F
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. T/F
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. T/F
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. T/F

: : :Playable Characters: : :
Sign-ups are closed for now.

Click here for a list of characters!

: : :Madnesses: : :
Madness Type (Afflicted survivors) - Apparent effects
- Crazy Laughter (TheMcD) - Survivors chuckles uncontrollably to themselves.

: : :Scoring Achievements: : :
Award Name - Point Value - Requirement
- Easy Does It... - 50 - Open a barrier without damaging it.
- Scavenger - 50 - Find something!
- Chef - 100 - Cook something!
- Easy Does It... - 50 - Open a barrier without damaging it.
- Researcher - 100 - Be the first to find a piece of intel.
- Unlucky - (-150) - Fail a coin toss.
- Aaaaaahhh! - (-250) - Acquire a madness.
- Sleep it off - 400 - Remove a madness.
- Unexplored Building - (-500) - Stacks with each unexplored building. Penalty is halved if a building is partially explored (i.e., more than one room left unexplored)
- Zone 1 Penalty - (-10, 000) - Die in Zone 1

: : :intel: : :
Zone 1
- "We couldn't wait for you..." (TheMcD)
- Frequent Polar Expedition Emergencies (TheMcD)
- "Looks like I got the winning ticket!" (Jon Joe)
- "Those creatures are man-eaters!" (Jon Joe)
- Dr. Ishimura's Hypothesis (Jon Joe)
- "Jones, I've ordered workbenches..."
Zone 2
Zone 3
Zone 4
Zone 5
Zone 6

: : :Survivors: : :
Goon - Survivor - Final Score
  • TheMcD - Katashi Hayashi - †
  • Jon Joe - Casper Jackson - †
  • Namtab - Philip Strauss
  • CommissarMega - Natalie Shelter
  • Slaan - Mary Stone
  • SlightlyMad - No preference (Olaf Heraldson)
  • Gridlocked - No preference
  • lofi - Irma Dillinger
  • biosterous - No preference
  • Mraagvpeine - Ben Peres
  • dervinosdoom - No preference
  • sebmojo - No preference
  • Geemer - Nicole Steelman
  • frankenfreak - Radj Shumpur

† Zone 1 Players

Sally fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 23, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
: : :Updates: : :
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-01
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-01
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-03
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-04
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-05 (Crazy laughter)
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-06
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-07
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-08
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-09
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-10 (Anomaly)
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-11
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 1-12
TheMcD and Jon Joe, Zone 2-01

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 19, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Going ground floor on a roguelike seems like a great idea and won't lead to a horrible death at all.

1) Katashi Hayashi

2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! - False
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. - True
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. - False
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. - True
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. - False

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1) Casper Jackson

2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! True
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. False
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. False
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. False
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. False

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to die horribly as Philip Strauss

2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! - False
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. - False
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. - True
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. - False
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. - True

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I call Natalie Shelter!

You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! FALSE

You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. TRUE

Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. FALSE

You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. FALSE

You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. FALSE

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
TheMcD, Jon Joe--do you want to go into the first run blind like absolute champs, or do want me to do a quick test post of the tutorial so things aren't so jarring?

Should I make that a thread question?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I believe in death before the dishonor of reading a manual, but I'll defer to my compatriot in this case.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Throw me in butt-first, chief

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dash Rendar posted:

TheMcD, Jon Joe--do you want to go into the first run blind like absolute champs, or do want me to do a quick test post of the tutorial so things aren't so jarring?

Should I make that a thread question?

TheMcD posted:

I believe in death before the dishonor of reading a manual, but I'll defer to my compatriot in this case.

Jon Joe posted:

Throw me in butt-first, chief

Hell yeah.

In that case, your run begins now!

TheMcD and Jon Joe, your helicopter has crash landed in the very base you intended to rescue. You two are the only survivors of your helicopter. No one from the base is rushing to help you out. It's quiet. The lights are still on in the buildings around you, so people must have been here recently.

TheMcD, as the "first" survivor, you get some flavour dialogue. Quick overview of the game screen:
- Top left-hand corner are your game options, event log, and pause button. The current objective is also displayed. In this case: "Find passage to the next zone".
- Bottom left and right-hand corners are where survivor dialogue and event dialogue appear.
- Bottom middle are your survivors. The green bar is their health. The person icon displays what they are currently doing. In this case, you two are just standing around.
- Top right-hand corner lists currently selected survivor details. There's a larger portrait of the survivor with their action icon and health bar, as well as their three "status" bars: warmth, stamina, and satiety. The little green heart icon is Katashi's health-regeneration ability. Positive status effects and negative status effects will both show up here in green and red accordingly. Lastly, those three icons below Katashi's portraits are the Map, Inventory, and Tool screens.

You currently don't have anything. (The tools that Casper start with appear in the Tool screen so as not to clutter the inventory--they are a hammer, shovel, and toolbox all in perfect condition).

This is the map of the current zone. Unfortunately for you guys, there are A LOT of buildings to check out. The little squares indicate where the entrances are. If they are a red square, they are blocked in some way. If they are green, they are open and you can just enter. Note that the area exit is in the south-west corner. It may be a good idea to investigate the exit to figure out what puzzle you are looking at.

Lastly, I'll note that neither of you are wearing a jacket and it's freezing.

What's your first action?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, so I'm thinking that finding poo poo and not freezing my rear end off is a pretty good plan, so I would figure to head to that open building in the northwest to search it.

If I'm reading this correctly, it might be good for the two of us to start off split up, me checking out the open buildings and Jon Joe going to check out the blocked ones, since those tools are probably going to help in unblocking some of them.

Of course, I have jack poo poo of an idea what I'm doing by design, so, y'know.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I feel like dying horribly for the amusement of goons

1) Character you want to play as: Mary Stone
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! False
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. True
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. True
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. False
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. True

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

OK, so I'm thinking that finding poo poo and not freezing my rear end off is a pretty good plan, so I would figure to head to that open building in the northwest to search it.

If I'm reading this correctly, it might be good for the two of us to start off split up, me checking out the open buildings and Jon Joe going to check out the blocked ones, since those tools are probably going to help in unblocking some of them.

Of course, I have jack poo poo of an idea what I'm doing by design, so, y'know.

Good plan.

I'll run to the locked building in the east, also to search.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao, this has got to be a new record as far as LP technical issues go. The save file corrupted and I was playing it offline like a fool, so nothing backed up to the cloud. SOOOOO that run is gone forever.

Good news is nothing had really happened yet, so I loaded up a new run and we can continue with the first orders given.

Flavour text is the same. Map isn't:

Far fewer buildings to explore this time. That corrupted save file may work in TheMcD and Jon Joe's favour.

Oh, and here's the tool menu for posterity, since I forgot to post it in the previous update:

Anyways! TheMcD heads towards the unlocked building to the northwest.

(Note, I'll spin the camera around to get the best view of a room and scope out all possible items, in case anyone wondered why perspective had shifted suddenly).

The furnace and generator are fully stoked and fueled. That means the lights'll stay on and the building'll keep you warm for a while yet.

There's a sack of coal in the centre of the room, so you go about collecting it. It'll take a few seconds to grab, so there are no pressing needs this turn. Once done, I'll move you into the next room and keep searching. With the new map available, if you have thoughts on future orders, you can list them.

Meanwhile, Jon Joe heads to the locked building to the east. Turns out it's not locked, but a snow drift blocks the way.

Arbitrary stop here. One, because you have a choice. Two, because it gives us a chance to show off how some of the tools work. Normally a snowdrift isn't a problem. You don't need any special tools as any survivor can just dig it out with their hands. However, the process is time consuming, costing time, energy, and warmth. If you have a shovel, it's a quick process and uses up way less overall stamina. Tools can only suffer limited wear and tear, though. Continued use of a tool will eventually cause it to break. Some tools can be repaired, some cannot.

So, Jon Joe, do you want to dig out the snow drift by hand or with a shovel? Of course, you could always head to a different building instead to get out of the cold sooner. (Also in the future, you can specify if you want to open a blocked door with a tool or not when approaching it. It'll keep updates going longer).

(Also, also, I'll be less explainy in a few updates. Once we get through the basic gameplay ebb and flow it won't be needed.)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine! A little digging by hand won't hurt while I'm still mostly warm, and the shovel will be handy for later.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Sure, I'll join the expedition when a slot opens up. You can totally trust me.

1) Character: No preference

2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! True
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. True
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. True
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. False

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I think a thorough sweep, starting from where we're at now, moving in counter-clockwise direction and ending at the exit, seems like a good idea. Right now we've got jack and poo poo regarding either food or protection against the cold while moving about, and for now, we should probably prioritize those over making progress, since theoretically, we've got a long trek ahead.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Deciding to save your tools for later, Jon Joe starts digging out the entrance by hand.

Meanwhile, TheMcD continues searching the small building. The bag of coal net you (surprise, surprise) a couple lumps of coal. The next room is a small common room with several cabinets to rifle through.

The first drawer you go through reveals some sweet intel:

100 points for TheMcD for being the first to stumble across this ominous note.

The next drawer nets you a giant keyring of keys for every door on the compound. What luck! Any standard locked door can now be unlocked. There's, like, a hundred keys on the run, though, so finding the right one to open a locked door with be very time-consuming.

The standing closet nets you a light jacket. It's not much, but will provide some very basic protection from the cold. As you are the first to find it, The McD, you default to wearing it. If you want, you can give up your jacket to another survivor, but that's entirely your prerogative. Anyways, building is clear. 50 points for any acquired item, so that's another 200.

As TheMcD wraps up, we hear a message from Jon Joe:

You're basically done digging out the entrance, but you officially chilled to the bone.

Luckily, once inside you can start warming up rather quickly as the building appears to have heat and power.

There's a computer panel on one side of the room and a locked door (luckily, TheMcD has now found the master key ring, so you have an option for opening it). There's also a modern generator behind you powering the building. Most generators on base are older varieties, so it's surprising to see a new one so soon. Just an interesting aside.

Here's the map:

TheMcD has discovered a standard building, as you can see from the house icon. The magnifying glass tells us there is useful intel here you can return to look at if you want. No need for this LP, as I'll link intel in one of the OPs.

Jon Joe has discovered an electrical building, as you can see from the lightning bolt icon.

Here's the current inventory and status of characters (note: Jon Joe, you're warming up fast):

What's the next move?

TheMcD - 300
Jon Joe - 0

Sally fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, with that new information, I think what I want to do next is head to the building Jon Joe is in and give them both the jacket and the keys, then head out to the next open building to the north of our two positions. I've got better cold resistance, so it's probably best to give the jacket to the one that'll need it more, and since there's more open buildings than blocked ones, the one with the tools can take the time out to open the door with the keys.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh, I should specify, the inventory is shared. That's the one major difference in singeplayer and co-op. Singeplayer has the inventory shared for quality of life purposes. Co-op requires survivors to meet up and exchange items.

As we are playing singleplayer, the inventory is shared. I am also not going to make any effort to pretend it's not because as a play by play forum rpg that is already hard enough.

Jon Joe can already make use of the keys (as long as no one else is using them) and you can pass off your jacket whenever you like.

That info might make you want to change your orders.

Sally fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 7, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I really like how the rules talk at length about needing to get your orders in before updates or get hit with harsh rear end-penalties, but makes no mention of how often will the updates come.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
What the fuuu- I literally just got done watching a board game Thing game called "Who goes there"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230769/who-goes-there

Will be following this along.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'll put on the jacket, and use the keys to fully explore the building.

TheMcD, I recommend you head to the southernmost building, followed by the building northmost of that, followed by the building to its southwest.

As for me, after the one I'm currently in, I'll hit the one northmost of it, then southwest of that, then then locked/blocked building in the west. After, we can tally our things and make our way to the exit. Basically counterclockwise as you said, but this ensures we each hit 4 buildings.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, if we don't need to manage separate inventories, then yeah, I'll just join in on the above plan.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Regallion posted:

I really like how the rules talk at length about needing to get your orders in before updates or get hit with harsh rear end-penalties, but makes no mention of how often will the updates come.

Oof, easy tiger. Sarcasm duly noted, but I'm sure the OP doesn't have any sinister motives.

Truth is I forgot to specify.

I'm going to aim to update at least 4 times a week, since the updates themselves will be pretty short. If I don't hear back from a survivor, I'll leave 48 hours before making an action in the interest of keeping the thread moving along. If the survivors are responding more quickly, I can update more quickly. I'm super flexible. The rules are more to prevent a situation where the read is stalled for weeks on end because a poster disappeared during their run. As any rule, they are open to challenge and interpretation.

As for the penalties, it's in good fun. This LP follows Whose Line logic where the rules are made up and the points don't matter--except in that they'll dictate the GOAT poster. They didn't strike me as particularly harsh, but perhaps that's because I had the benefit of knowing when I'd update? Hope that clears things up. I'm open to feedback, of course, in making this survival experience the best worst for TheMcD and Jon Joe.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The best plan is to lust for death

1)Character No Preference
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! False
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. False
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. True
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. True

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, sign me up!

1) Character you want to play as - Irma
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! T
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. T
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. T
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. F
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. F

What've y'all got against tortoises? :ohdear:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ooh, this looks fun!

1) No preference (slight preference to being the third character when discovered)
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! T
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. F
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. F
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. T
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. F

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

I'll put on the jacket, and use the keys to fully explore the building.

TheMcD, I recommend you head to the southernmost building, followed by the building northmost of that, followed by the building to its southwest.

As for me, after the one I'm currently in, I'll hit the one northmost of it, then southwest of that, then then locked/blocked building in the west. After, we can tally our things and make our way to the exit. Basically counterclockwise as you said, but this ensures we each hit 4 buildings.

TheMcD posted:

OK, if we don't need to manage separate inventories, then yeah, I'll just join in on the above plan.

Jon Joe, you search the nearby electrical panel and stumble upon one of the game's design flaws:

You can start solving the exit puzzle before you know what it is if you stumble into the correct building. The exit is clearly missing a circuit board. Now that you have it, you can run it to the exit to see if you can get through the zone more quickly.

In the meantime, you start searching for the correct key.

While that was going on, TheMcD made it to the southernmost building and started looking around. Rooting around that desk results in new intel:

Particularly useful, too! A list of items needed to deal with specific ailments. Keep this in the back of your mind.

The next room is empty, but the one after that is chock full of shelves to raid. The intel was a hint, but it's now clear you're in one of the base's labs. Good place to get medical supplies.

Sadly, Jon Joe's time appears to have been wasted:

The locked furnace room was empty.

Jon Joe heads to the next building and TheMcD stocks up on medical supplies. I will detail collected items and properly score them at the end of the update, for the sake of brevity.

I will note that this lab has a Medical Station. If you have x1 Dirty Bandages, x1 Old Pills, and x1 Sterilizing Powder, you can combine them to make a new Medkit.

The furnace room nets some coal. At this point, you start working on the locked door with the keyring.

Jon Joe's building is in slight disrepair. There are some supplies on the ground. There's a bulletin board by the furnace:

Weird intel, but okay.

Looks like your in a crew dormitory building. There's some snacks in the fridge and the next room is a bedroom with drawers and dressers to go through:

There's a creepy note in a bedside table drawer:

Otherwise you get some more supplies in the bedroom and lockeroom. One of them is a lockpick, which means you have more than one option when opening a door now:

I bring this up because the last room in the building is locked:

The keyring has a key for every door on the building. It can never be used up, but of all door-opening methods it takes the longest because you need to sift through a hundred keys to find the right one. Lockpicks are faster and will force a door open without damaging it. However, they break after a while. The choice is yours.

But lastly, TheMcD finished rifling through medical supplies in the locked closet. Unfortunately, something weird happens:

Sadly, you fail the coin flip.

Congratulations! You've acquired the LP's first madness! :toot:

The immediate affect is that you now chuckle constantly to yourself. Mildly annoying, but not enough to turn off the speakers. If there are any other affects, they aren't immediately obvious.

While Jon Joe decides what to do about opening the door, you start heading for that northern building--you'll continue that way for the next update unless you wish to change course.

Alright! Now that we've started building a health amount of supplies, let's go over who got what and what each thing does (if not self-evident):

Jon Joe found:
- Green System Board
- Coal x2 - fuel for furnaces
- Candy - it's a snack!
- Cigarettes - may enhance some people's moods, but also make them hungry
- Lockpick
- Grindstone x2 - rough stone for sharpening tools
- Insulating Tape x2 - multipurpose tape for making repairs

TheMcD found:
- Dirty Bandages - might stop someone from bleeding out, but could do more harm than good
- Sterile Bandages - will stop someone from bleeding out
- Old Pills x2 - past expiration date--may cure stomach poisoning, but may make someone sicker
- Coal
- Medkit - can restore health, treat colds, and stop bleeding
- Adrenaline - only thing that can bring a survivor out of a coma--can also temporarily warm someone up

Updated map. New intel locations marked, as is the location of the Medical Station. The crosshair is where TheMcD is headed.

- Scavenger x7 - 350
- Easy does it... (open a locked barrier without breaking it) - 50
- Unlucky (fail a coin toss) - (-150)
- Aaaaaahhh! (acquire a madness) - (-250)
- Researcher - 100
TheMcD - 400

- Scavenger x10 - 500
- Easy does it... - 50
- Researcher x2 - 200
Jon Joe - 750

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(I realize I forgot to switch jackets. I'll go do that so it's ready for next update).

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Use keyring on the door and, after finishing the search but before heading to the next building to the north, take a nap, looking a little tired. Wouldn't want to be so tired I start laughing randomly, after all.

Also, just wanted to note that I intended to go as far north as possible last update but it seems you put me in the closest north building. This means I'll need to trek a little more ground than I wanted, but probably isn't a big deal.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sounds like I'm just having a grand old time. I think I'm fine just continuing to explore for now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

Also, just wanted to note that I intended to go as far north as possible last update but it seems you put me in the closest north building. This means I'll need to trek a little more ground than I wanted, but probably isn't a big deal.

Crud, my bad! I misread and only thought that McD was gonna go thataway. If it assuages concerns, the difference to your stamina effects will be negligible. There will be plenty other opportunities to die horribly, especially outside of Zone 1.

Onmi posted:

What the fuuu- I literally just got done watching a board game Thing game called "Who goes there"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230769/who-goes-there

Will be following this along.

I also saw this one come out last year and have been keeping an eye out for discounts and sales before picking it up: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226634/thing-infection-outpost-31

Now I don't know which to buy...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
1) Ben Peres

3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. - False
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. - False
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. - True
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. - False

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dash Rendar posted:

Crud, my bad! I misread and only thought that McD was gonna go thataway. If it assuages concerns, the difference to your stamina effects will be negligible. There will be plenty other opportunities to die horribly, especially outside of Zone 1.

I also saw this one come out last year and have been keeping an eye out for discounts and sales before picking it up: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226634/thing-infection-outpost-31

Now I don't know which to buy...

From what I saw of the playthrough Who Goes There can have the downside of just leaving you poo poo out of luck for what you can do. The playthrough I watched was the LRR one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTa9xpFSJEo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

Use keyring on the door and, after finishing the search but before heading to the next building to the north, take a nap, looking a little tired. Wouldn't want to be so tired I start laughing randomly, after all.

TheMcD posted:

Sounds like I'm just having a grand old time. I think I'm fine just continuing to explore for now.

Jon Joe, you use the keyring to open the door.

Almost forgot to mention, the reason those empty crates are still highlighted is because with the right set of tools you can break them down into Planks, which are a useful resources for repairs and kindling. The shelves that are highlighted are intel, but I can confirm that that room has been scavenged.

You find more intel. Pausing the update because this information is directly relevant to your plans to go to sleep. You're tired, yes, but this sounds ominous.

TheMcD, while Jon Joe was doing that, you reached the northernmost building.

Some minor supplies. You found a light jacket which replaced the one given to Jon Joe.

You also found a couch you could sleep on. Reminder: the only way to remove a madness is to get an extended nap.

- Scavenger x2 - 100
TheMcD - 500

- Researcher - 100
Jon Joe - 850

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What am I going to do, never go to sleep? This is all superstitious gobbledygook. Sleep!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'm going to take the scientific approach to this. I'll wait and see if Jon Joe dies from sleeping before considering taking a nap. For now, check out the open building closest to the exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:science: