Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

What am I going to do, never go to sleep? This is all superstitious gobbledygook. Sleep!

TheMcD posted:

I'm going to take the scientific approach to this. I'll wait and see if Jon Joe dies from sleeping before considering taking a nap. For now, check out the open building closest to the exit.

TheMcD, you decide to come back and finish your exploration/napping later. Once you finish observing Jon Joe's experiment...

Jon Joe, you lie down to rest.

As you nod off, a single light begins to emanate seemingly from no where in the middle of the room.

And another. And another. And so on.

Uh, you're practically glowing too.

The effect is limited to the room you're in.

Meanwhile, TheMcD finds one of the base's mess halls.

The back freezer door is locked, but there are some crates that you root around in, revealing some uncooked food.

TheMcD, how do you want to deal with this door?

Jon Joe, I'll also point out that by now you are about halfway through a full sleep cycle. Your stamina is fully restored. You are allowed to wake up whenever you want or you can wait out the cycle before going about your business.

- Scavenger x2 - 100
TheMcD - 600

Jon Joe - 850

Sally fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Unlock the door and look for poo poo to eat. That never isn't handy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
With the key ring or lockpick?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Keyring. I think we've got time for now, and I'm still waiting for the whole science experiment to end.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If there's still time, I'll throw my hat in:

1) Character: No preference
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! True
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. True
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. True
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. False
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. False

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well that's gonna take more than SSRI's to fix. :ohdear:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What a weird dream! Being fully rested, wake up and go about my business.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
To confirm: going about your business would be heading to the unexplored building north of your current position?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

dervinosdoom posted:

If there's still time, I'll throw my hat in:

i'll add you to the list!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dash Rendar posted:

To confirm: going about your business would be heading to the unexplored building north of your current position?

Yep. I'll make sure to be more clear in the future.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheMcD posted:

Unlock the door and look for poo poo to eat. That never isn't handy.

Jon Joe posted:

What a weird dream! Being fully rested, wake up and go about my business.

TheMcD uses the keyring to unlock the door.

This'll take a minute...

Meanwhile, Jon Joe wakes up and leaves the building.

It's a short jaunt outside to reach the northernmost building.

Hey, it's a storeroom! There'll be tonnes of crap you can use in here!

While Jon Joe starts gathering tools, TheMcD opens the door to the kitchen proper. Unfortunately, the rest of the building is still locked. That said, there's also a stove here so you can cook some of the food you have, if you like.

Note: you can eat food raw and still benefit from it. However, cooked for is more satisfying and will buff your stats more. For example, cooked food, unlike uncooked food, is hot and will generally warm you up as well as satisfy your hunger. That said, it takes time to cook meals. You weigh the pros and cons.

Jon Joe, you are still exploring while TheMcD makes a choice--unless, of course, you want to redirect your attention.

As you can see, you have raw vegetables, uncooked cans of soup, and some unbrewed coffee beans. All can be cooked for greater benefits, though each must be individually prepared. That pail of mush to the right of the green chip board is spoiled food that Jon Joe found. If you're absolutely starving, you can eat spoiled food to satisfy hunger. However, you're risking food poisoning whenever you do.

- Scavenger - 50
- Easy does it... - 50
TheMcD - 700

- Scavenger x4 - 200
Jon Joe - 1050

Sally fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 12, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm good to keep on keeping on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I think I'm going to try cooking a bit. Make what we have go longer by making us need less of it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh, and I should also point out that that suspicious pile of white powder that Jon Joe picked up is Sterilizing Powder--for use in making Medikits.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

I'm good to keep on keeping on.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to try cooking a bit. Make what we have go longer by making us need less of it.

TheMcD, you start cooking. Since Jon Joe is exploring, I'll have you cook as long as it takes for them to get through the warehouse.

Jon Joe, the warehouse winds up being unlocked so you go nuts gathering supplies:

New intel too:

You've found some new tools. Among them a crowbar and a hacksaw. The crow bar is an extremely quick way of opening doors, however it also damages any door you open with it. A broken door lets out the heat and in all the cold air. They can be repaired (especially now that you've found some planks) but it takes resources. The hacksaw allows you to break down empty crates into more planks. It's a bit time-consuming, but it'll work until you find better crate-breaking tools--if you wish to spend your time doing that.

TheMcD, by the time Jon Joe has finished scouring that warehouse, you've cooked all the food you have. Huzzah! But now you're exhausted and getting hungry. Oh, and that door is still locked.

Aside from the tools you found (lockpick, crowbar, and saw), there's some new items:
- Planks - Can be used to kindle a furnace or make base repairs. Burn longer than rotten wood but not as long as coal.
- Rotten Planks - Can only be used to kindle a furnace. Short burn time.
- Gas Can - Can be refilled. A full tank can refuel a generator four times.
- Coffee - Moderate warmth and stamina boost. Minimal satiety boost.
- Vegetables - Moderate satiety boost.
- Hot soup - Moderate warmth and satiety boost.

You're still in the same location. Note, the gas barrel icon denotes where you can replenish fuel cans for generators.

- Chef x5 - 500
- I don't feel so good... - (-150)
TheMcD - 1050

- Researcher - 100
- Scavenger x10 - 500
Jon Joe - 1650

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I guess I can go and find a place to sleep now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Need more specifics! You wanna head back to the building north of your position and crash on the couch or head to the bunk where Jon Joe was sleeping?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dash Rendar posted:

Need more specifics! You wanna head back to the building north of your position and crash on the couch or head to the bunk where Jon Joe was sleeping?

Whatever's closest.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Does cooked food stay cooked indefinitely, or does it cool off over time and need to be heated up again?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'll make my way to the last locked/blocked building and get inside without using tools again. Oh, and eat the soup as soon as I finish doing that, right before I start exploring the area I've opened.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

Does cooked food stay cooked indefinitely, or does it cool off over time and need to be heated up again?

Stays cooked indefinitely. That threw me off when I first started playing. But think of it as cooked being upgraded.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1) Character: No preference
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! True
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. True
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. True
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. False
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. True

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Well this looks fun.

1) Nicole Steelman :blastu:
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! False
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. False
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. False
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. True
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. False

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was just wondering, when you choose characters for the people that have no preference, will there be any overlapping characters? Or is each person getting a different character?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheMcD posted:

OK, I guess I can go and find a place to sleep now.

Jon Joe posted:

I'll make my way to the last locked/blocked building and get inside without using tools again. Oh, and eat the soup as soon as I finish doing that, right before I start exploring the area I've opened.

TheMcD, you go to sleep. The strange emanations of light begin to occur.

Meanwhile, Jon Joe reaches the final locked building and starts using the keyring.

Aaaaand, TheMcD, it appears your sleeping has summoned a floating anomaly.

It appeared behind the building you're currently in and is now circling the perimeter looking for a way in.

You have no weapons with which to defend yourself.

Note: tools may not be used as weapons. Sorry!

The anomaly appears on the map as that dripping green squidge. TheMcD, you're slept through just over half of your sleep cycle and that seems to have cured you of your madness. Your stamina bar is partly replenished. Jon Joe, the anomaly doesn't appear to be heading your way. You're slightly over halfway through unlocking the door. Note: if you wish to stop locking the door, it's unlock progress remains so you don't need to start the process entirely from scratch.

- Sleep it off - 400
TheMcD - 1450

Jon Joe - 1650

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, that seems bad. Science has failed me!

I think I need to get the gently caress out, probably, but I don't know where. I guess, for now, just run away? Like, whatever direction that thing isn't at? See how it reacts to that and figure out my next move from there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was just wondering, when you choose characters for the people that have no preference, will there be any overlapping characters? Or is each person getting a different character?

Hmm, hadn't fully thought of that. Random number I suppose? If a 3rd character is found that hasnt been selected i'll give them to a no preference player in order of sign up. Otherwise, yeah, random number generator work for everyone?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
HOLY poo poo it's so cold out here I'm seeing things, better keep unlocking that door.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jon Joe posted:

HOLY poo poo it's so cold out here I'm seeing things, better keep unlocking that door.

Good plan it's probably just some perfectly normal thing like the northern lights or a firework set off by local children

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqlFiTOi6QQ&t=34s

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

sebmojo posted:

Good plan it's probably just some perfectly normal thing like the northern lights or a firework set off by local children

This is exactly why I lobbied against that combination orphanage/fireworks store but the zoning board never loving listens to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheMcD posted:

Well, that seems bad. Science has failed me!

I think I need to get the gently caress out, probably, but I don't know where. I guess, for now, just run away? Like, whatever direction that thing isn't at? See how it reacts to that and figure out my next move from there.

Jon Joe posted:

TheMcD, you wake up and decide to get the hell out of dodge.

I'm interpreting "whatever direction that thing isn't at" as the tool warehouse, as it is opposite the entrance of your current building.

So you run...

...but it follows!

The anomaly seems to have no issue tracking your footprints in the snow.

Just as you duck into the warehouse, the thing barrels past the door.

It seems that simply being in close proximity to the anomaly causes physical discomfort.

The anomaly loops back around and releases some kind of gas. It opens the door and peers in at you.

(Meanwhile, Jon Joe enters that last tiny building and finds an electrical room similar to the first. They are able to find a red circuit board.)

However, it decides not to enter the building.

Just to recap what Jon Joe was doing this whole time, they found a red circuit board.

That's it for that building though.

I will take this moment to point out that your objective has been, has always been, and continues to be to "Find a passage to the next zone".

Jon Joe eats their soup while we wait for player orders...

TheMcD - 1450

- Scavenger - 50
Jon Joe - 1700

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 19, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That is Nope.event

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It looks so cute :kimchi: just give it a hug

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It just wants a friend :3:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
TheMcD, do you wish to give the anomaly a hug?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dash Rendar posted:

TheMcD, do you wish to give the anomaly a hug?

New thread title spotted. Also artwork.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

queserasera posted:

New thread title spotted.

done

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, seeing as the anomaly doesn't want to come inside and it's cold outside, I think I'll stay inside for now and eat something, while Jon Joe figures out how we get to the next zone. Not sure what exactly I'll do once that happens, but I'll figure that out later. Hugs can always come later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, well I guess I'll make my way to the exit after I'm done eating.

TheMcD, stop being afraid of ghosts and come with me.