Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
1) Radj Shumpur
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS TRUE OR FALSE:
2) You are confident in your iron stomach and would eat food even if there was a little mold on it--it's still good, after all! F
3) You believe yourself to be thoroughly handy with tools and would risk a shortcut in repairs even if it risked breaking something. T
4) Your curiosity often gets the better of you and you will happily touch or grab any shiny or strange object even if it might risk injury. F
5) You have a healthy respect for the supernatural and don't scoff at paranormal concepts such as deja vu or hearing voices. F
6) You are in a desert and see a tortoise walking towards you, so you flip the tortoise onto its back. F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheMcD posted:

Well, seeing as the anomaly doesn't want to come inside and it's cold outside, I think I'll stay inside for now and eat something, while Jon Joe figures out how we get to the next zone. Not sure what exactly I'll do once that happens, but I'll figure that out later. Hugs can always come later.

Jon Joe posted:

Alright, well I guess I'll make my way to the exit after I'm done eating.

TheMcD, stop being afraid of ghosts and come with me.

Jon Joe, as you dig into your food you notice it's a bit moldy. You've never let a little thing like that get in your way, despite what your character is saying on-screen.

You win the coin-toss. Huzzah! The food nearly maxes out your stamina and satiety.

TheMcD, as Jon Joe rushes for the exit, you continue to wait and watch the anomaly. It continues to pace around the building. (You ate some vegetables and your satiety has been replenished).

Jon Joe, you approach the exit and notice something strange awaiting you on the other side.

It's weird looking, whatever it is.

But to the task at hand! You examine the electronic lock on the gate:

As you suspected, the chip boards you recovered were part of the exit puzzle.

You install them.

Mission accomplished. You can go to the next zone now.

Will you go ahead without TheMcD?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh poo poo almost forgot:

TheMcD by the time you finished eating your food, the anomaly went behind the building and just kinda disappeared. It's gone. Youre safe for now.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
No man left behind

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OK, so the way to deal with the anomalies is to eat. Obviously.

Anyway, now that we're good on not maybe getting carved up by some weird alien, I'll head to the exit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Okay, now that we're through the first zone, I'm going to close sign-ups for the time being. Depending on how quick people are dying off and we need to replenish our cast, I'll reopen them. But if everyone has pretty good runs, this is probably a good amount of people for now.

TheMcD posted:

OK, so the way to deal with the anomalies is to eat. Obviously.

Anyway, now that we're good on not maybe getting carved up by some weird alien, I'll head to the exit.

Jon Joe posted:

No man left behind

TheMcD, you get hustling.

Jon Joe, you wait. You suppose it's better to continue working as a team. You could've kept all of the resources to yourself, but no, you choice the nobler route.

TheMcD is a ways away...

It's takes a bit, but TheMcD finally arrives.

However, you are chilled to the bone.

Onward!

Welcome to Zone 2! Your objective: find the zone exit! There's an alien artifact in front of you. You can examine it closer if you wish. By that, I mean you can start poking it to see if it'll do anything.

Zone 2 is smaller. Also, your map is picking up life signs in one of the southern buildings. It's another survivor! They're weak, though. You need to get to them quickly if you're going to save them!

- Unexplored Building - (-250)
TheMcD - 1200

- Unexplored Building - (-250)
Jon Joe - 1450

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 19, 2019

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Every time I see Caspar, I think it's Adm. Ackbar.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What do you mean unexplored building? Which one didn't we explore?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The building TheMcD was in for a nap. TheMcD got in as far as the couch room before turning back. Half the building was left untouched.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Building in question:

Partially unexplored buildings are only partial pentaly. Hence -250 instead of -500.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hrm. I guess I should try and head to that survivor since Jon Joe will probably need to warm up somewhere first.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Run as fast I can to the closest open building to get warm.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game seems pretty cool. I am disappointed you did not hug the anomaly though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Black Robe posted:

This game seems pretty cool. I am disappointed you did not hug the anomaly though.

There's still time!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

Run as fast I can to the closest open building to get warm.

TheMcD posted:

Hrm. I guess I should try and head to that survivor since Jon Joe will probably need to warm up somewhere first.

You both leave the alien object alone and run south.

The closest building is locked, so you skip past it.

Jon Joe, the furnace in the closest unlocked building is still stoked. Good news! TheMcD continues on to the life signals.

You pick up the planks on the floor while you warm up--

--and cut yourself in the process!

To prevent too many pauses between updates, if it's a minor ailment that can be fixed by clean bandages or fresh pills, I'll automatically fix it. If there are none available, I'll let the players decides (for example, if only dirty bandages or expired pills were available). I won't automatically use Medkits either, due to their bigger value.

Jon Joe, you've warmed up a bit. Did you want to start by exploring this building or did you want to come back later and go somewhere else first? (Note: we don't know what the exit puzzle is yet).

TheMcD, you reach the building that has a survivor. It's blocked by snow. You want to dig it out by hand or use a shovel?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Continue exploring this building for now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Let's use a shovel.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

Continue exploring this building for now.

TheMcD posted:

Let's use a shovel.

TheMcD, you begin to dig. While you do so, Jon Joe searches that building:

Hmm... unsettling note...

You also find some supplies: dirty bandage, old pills, and a durable jacket! You put it on. It'll give you more cold resistance.

Next room has two doors (one is locked, let me know how you want to deal with it), a bed, and some dressers. You examine the dressers while TheMcD enters the snowed in building.

You're in some sort of medical/science lab, TheMcD. You find the injured survivor. In the interest of getting more players in the LP, I'm going to step in and have you bring them back. That said, it is a perfectly reasonable choice to let someone die and hoard all the supplies. If someone falls unconscious from this point on, I won't intervene. Goons will do what goons must.

SlightlyMad, welcome to the show! You were our first pick for "No preference" and as no one before you has selected Olaf Heraldson, you get to jump the queue. Congrats! You get Kurt Russel's R J Macready knock-off as your character. You come with a full fuel can and any generator or furnace stoked by you takes fewer resources and lasts longer.

Jon Joe, you find some cigarettes in those drawers. What do you want to do next? Reminder, there's a locked door, an unlocked door, and a bed in your building.

TheMcD, you are freezing cold and utterly exhausted. You haven't explored the building yet because you may want to look into your vitals.

SlightlyMad, you're doing okay. Just came back from the brink so you only have partial health. That can be replenished. You were also given Jon Joe's old dirty jacket, so you have some warmth. What do you want to start doing?

Map and tool inventory below:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, balls. How do I best un-gently caress myself? Does drinking the coffee we have help with both cold and tiredness? If so, I should probably do that for the sake of not dying.

Also, I assume that the building Jon Joe is in is warm, since that character has max warmth. So if I can make it, I should probably head over to that building and sleep in that bed before I fall over.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
1. Using some medical equipment to get closer to full health would seem appropriate.

2. I would like to get some warmth inside a building. If the building I am in feels cold and I can not find a heater to fuel, I could try the building to the southwest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh yeah. when i am at my PC i'll post some more clarifying images. but yeah, you two are in a building that is cold. you can actually see the outline of at least one open window in one shot. Jon Joe's building is heated.

the red or green arrows next to those bars indicate whether you are currently loosing or gaining heat... which to confirm you two are indeed coolong down.

and yeah coffee is liquid gold. big boost to heat and moderate boost to stamina. most but not all prepared food will also warm you up (baked potatoes and hot soup)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Double back to the locked building in the north, and use tools to enter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

Lockpick or crowbar? I'm going to assume lockpick for the sake of an update, but specify in the future!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jon Joe posted:

TheMcD posted:

Well, balls. How do I best un-gently caress myself? Does drinking the coffee we have help with both cold and tiredness? If so, I should probably do that for the sake of not dying.

Also, I assume that the building Jon Joe is in is warm, since that character has max warmth. So if I can make it, I should probably head over to that building and sleep in that bed before I fall over.

SlightlyMad posted:

1. Using some medical equipment to get closer to full health would seem appropriate.

2. I would like to get some warmth inside a building. If the building I am in feels cold and I can not find a heater to fuel, I could try the building to the southwest.

TheMcD and SlightlyMad, you heal up:

From there, TheMcD heads to that first building...

...and SlightlyMad heads out for the southwest building. (note: that workstation there is for making explosives)

SlightlyMad, the building is indeed still heated. Good news! You grab the coal that is lying around before the end of this turn.

Unfortunately for TheMcD, they once again summon an anomaly... what now?

While that's going on, Jon Joe starts picking the locked door.

You find yourself in a kitchen! You don't have any uncooked food at the moment, so you start to explore.

This freezer is locked... how do you want to deal with it?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Would smashing that freezer open damage the contents? Cos keeping stuff cold shouldn't really be an issue.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Once I am feeling fully warm, I could take a look at the exit from the area. Not planning to use it yet, but preparing for when it becomes necessary. (If there is nothing much to see there I could then head towards the locked building to the east.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Something about TheMcD is obviously attracting these things. I think the rest of the party should at some point use him as bait and conduct some science.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lofi posted:

Would smashing that freezer open damage the contents? Cos keeping stuff cold shouldn't really be an issue.

nah, locks on freezers and cabinets are just gatekeeping resources. smashing open doors are a bigger issue. smashing a door is much faster than keys and lockpicks but let in cold air and are easier for anomalies to get through.

if you smash a cabinet or freezer it's just faster than lockpicking.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, I guess I'll just wait again. Eat something while I'm at it to top up my stats. Since we now have one more person, we can probably afford me being stuck in this building for a bit. If I recall correctly, there was supposed to be some note on how to fight these things in a medical area in this zone? Might be nice to find that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Dash Rendar posted:

if you smash a cabinet or freezer it's just faster than lockpicking.

Why would you ever pick them, then? Does smashing damage a tool as well?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Leave the freezer alone for right this second, I can always double back to it. I need to sleep badly, so hey let's head to the only known bed now that TheMcD is done. I dunno what those strange light circling the building are, maybe some kind of bear failing to eat a flashlight? Better steer clear as I approach.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lofi posted:

Why would you ever pick them, then? Does smashing damage a tool as well?

Any use of a tool degrades a tool. Smashing a locked cabinet or freezer is probably preferable. It's quick, saves lock picks, and you don't have to worry about damaging the integrity of a building.

However, if you don't have a crowbar, it's nice that you're able to use a pick. That said, crowbars open doors much more quickly than picks. So you may find it preferable to use picks in earlier zones simply to save crowbars for later zones where resources are limited and anomalies are common, requiring you to move fast.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess a sleeping target makes for an easy snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey apologies for no new update. ive been caring for a family member who hurt their back and without my PC. hoping to be updating again after this weekend!