Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i dont quite get how peoples eyes and brains still functioned after looking into the core/being close to it, specically the guys that guy interviewed when they were in the hospital a couple days later. is it because brain/eye cells don't divide that often and dont go through mitosis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I figured out what the second season could be.

HBOs version of command & control and the Damascus incident. Would fit really well. OSHA, sci fi, bueracracy. Got it all. And THAT'S how Chernobyl could get a second season. Just make it about different events.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Looks like we got season 3!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

canyoneer posted:

The OJ one was great and I really liked Feud, but I bounced hard off of the Versace one.

Feud? Huh

I finished the Versace one it was good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

High pressure reactors are old tech. Nuclear will be the savoir of climate change and energy concerns, just use the safe ones. Not the ones from the 1940s. Start with LFTR in 5

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Data Graham posted:

We can reassure other goons about this, but HBO has a lot of subscribers who do not regularly peruse TVIV :sigh:

One of my first and biggest concerns after I watched ep 1. Hate what regressive poo poo this could do. The probably should have thrown a title card in the finale about it if they cared.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I live in Cleveland and we JUST had an earthquake 30 miles east, which is probably 20 miles away from the Perry nuclear power station. It was a tinye lil bump tho I'm sincerely sure things is fine. Just thought it was interesting about your point with regard to lake Erie and tectonic stability!

What's KI? Also, I didn't know about containment vessels and while watching Chernobyl I was like "how can they directly see the loving control rods?" Every depiction I know of a reactor had them in some sort of thing that you could only see with cans or something, so I'm assuming I must have been seeing containment vessle type depictions?

The SCRAM button is making me want to rewatch the China syndrome. A movie that came out before I was born and that I only watched a year or two ago. Compelling tho

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo it came out like 7 years before

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scram

quote:

The etymology of the term is a matter of debate.
United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission historian Tom Wellock notes that scram is English language slang for leaving quickly and urgently, and cites this as the original and mostly likely accurate basis for the use of scram in the technical context.[2] A persistent alternative explanation posits that scram is an acronym for "safety control rod axe man", which was supposedly coined by Enrico Fermi when the world's first nuclear reactor was built under the spectator seating at the University of Chicago's Stagg Field
Im the rod axe man

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

The US invaded Afghanistan, the country that harbored Al Qaeda. In fact, it still has a military presence there.

Eventually, like, third on the list.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

drat, I knew I should have bought one and the master cannibis growers one couple weeks ago when I first found them. It'd be cool if the liquidators one was slightly radioactive

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i gotta watch the movie cuz i still dont understand why he was using a screw driver and what his loving goal was if not to join the two sides

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

In 30 years there’s going to be a COVID-19 miniseries and the scene of that first press conference Trump gave on the virus where he’s cracking bad jokes and the press corps is just howling laughing is going to be the equivalent to the Pripyat party bosses clapping and congratulating themselves or solving the problem as Reactor 4 bleches yellow irradiated fire literally a block away.
there's a lot of similar posts in the comments of chernobyl posting videos since April

Speaking of, does a anyone have the video of the reactor rods dancing while this song plays in the background? Tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pka3psIK9Eo
I'm rewatching chern tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bruhhhh thank you. I clicked it and already had a like on it so it's the right one