Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Wait, what? When/where does this happen?
If you give up on becoming a long to spend your life with him, I think. From the wiki:

I would not say it ended badly. But there is little of me, now. Our outside activities waned over time, and so, I know, have I. As I dwindle, my lover takes greater and greater interest in me: these days he hardly leaves my side, and I, hardly, his room. Soon, he tells me, a smear of something wet beneath his eye. Soon. [This might be considered a victory. But the House is no place for lovers.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

saliba is definitely a conservative MP

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That's absolutely horrifying.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
How romantic.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Reveilled please come back and save us from grail romance chat

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Maugrim posted:

The perk of grail romance is that you don't have to feel bad about sacrificing your lover to ascend like you do for lantern/forge.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maugrim posted:

I'm really sorry, I've been swamped at work due to mid-year reports, and most of my free time is being taken up by prep for two D&D campaigns. I promise the LP isn't abandoned or even on a hiatus or anything, but I can't save y'all from Saliba right now!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they're multiplying faster than we can contain them

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I'm really sorry, I've been swamped at work due to mid-year reports, and most of my free time is being taken up by prep for two D&D campaigns. I promise the LP isn't abandoned or even on a hiatus or anything, but I can't save y'all from Saliba right now!

Running two games at once, huh? Living the dream!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...I just realized that the reason Moth converts to Lantern is that light attracts moths in real life.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Junpei posted:

...I just realized that the reason Moth converts to Lantern is that light attracts moths in real life.

Or does light attract moths because Moth converts to Lantern?

:tinfoil:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

moths are naturally Glory-seeking, and are able to defeat the metaphysical concept of thirst

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

moths are naturally Glory-seeking, and are able to defeat the metaphysical concept of thirst

Remind me, which aspect does being thicc fall under? Grail for eating/lust? Heart because vitality? Forge because you clearly worked to get that big booty?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think the Hours care about it, tbh, and in fact would generally tend to be all "sex? naaaaah, not a good idea" due to the Crime of the Sky.

best bet would be a Grail aspected person because they provoke thirst in others, i suppose

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't think the Hours care about it, tbh, and in fact would generally tend to be all "sex? naaaaah, not a good idea" due to the Crime of the Sky.

I'm pretty sure that only straight sex is seen as risky. There's a lore book that suggests having gay sex to avoid the crime of the sky

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh yeah true. i just like that the lore is a bit more nuanced than "ah, and here is the Sex God"

still think it's grail re: having a large rear end though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh, the first/"second order" level lore of all the principles are all "Secrets" (Watchman's, Smith's, Knife's, Locksmith's, etc.) with the exception of Secret Histories (which makes sense, it's the odd one out) and Moth (that one's called A Barber's Warning, not A Barber's Secret).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Maugrim posted:

Renira isn't that bad. Like she is not nearly as horrifying as Saliba.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Josef bugman posted:

Renira isn't that bad. Like she is not nearly as horrifying as Saliba.

That's pretty much the definition of damning by faint praise.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mzbundifund posted:

That's pretty much the definition of damning by faint praise.

Fair, should I say she also isn't as bad as any of the knife enthusiasts.

Also Leo doesn't understand what he did wrong. Poor sod.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he hosed up summoning a percussigiant is what

fuckin' leo. now he gets to feed the door

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
So this finally persuaded me to buy the game and I managed a minor Forge victory on my first try, requiring only ten hours. I went Forge so I could ascend without killing a bunch of people but then I realized that the easiest way to get enough Forge to ascend was to farm the Malleary through the Spider's Door so uh that didn't really change much. Had some close calls though, twice when the Dread-O-Meter got all the way up to three and once when a Hunter got ahold of damning evidence. Through copious amounts of opium and gross incompetence on the Hunter's part I survived though. The dread building up was totally my own fault since I made like twelve Maids-In-The-Mirror because 10 edge/winter and it took me a while to realize that they decay to Dread eventually. The moral of this story is always clean up after your summons.

Now I'm trying an apostle victory and it's kicking my rear end so far. I was a Winter Cult, but didn't start with any Winter lore so I can't actually promote anybody. I ended up having to make a deal with Poppy to stave off starvation from jerks stealing my funds and couldn't get Travelling at Night Vol 2 for the Sexton's Secret in time to promote some mook to sacrifice so Poppy fed my winter 10 cultist I inherited to the Sun-In-Rags instead. I managed to use the Winter influence that resulted from that to promote Cat to a believer and she's been fumbling around in the Mithraeum for days trying to find that secret door so I can get the manacles and actually start getting a cult. On the other hand I actually managed to progress past Mr. Alden without murdering him: He just retired randomly and now my money situation is stable. I also have zero idea what to even do. I suspect that now I'm getting the CultSim Experience at it's most pure.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Arcvasti posted:

So this finally persuaded me to buy the game and I managed a minor Forge victory on my first try, requiring only ten hours. I went Forge so I could ascend without killing a bunch of people but then I realized that the easiest way to get enough Forge to ascend was to farm the Malleary through the Spider's Door so uh that didn't really change much. Had some close calls though, twice when the Dread-O-Meter got all the way up to three and once when a Hunter got ahold of damning evidence. Through copious amounts of opium and gross incompetence on the Hunter's part I survived though. The dread building up was totally my own fault since I made like twelve Maids-In-The-Mirror because 10 edge/winter and it took me a while to realize that they decay to Dread eventually. The moral of this story is always clean up after your summons.

Now I'm trying an apostle victory and it's kicking my rear end so far. I was a Winter Cult, but didn't start with any Winter lore so I can't actually promote anybody. I ended up having to make a deal with Poppy to stave off starvation from jerks stealing my funds and couldn't get Travelling at Night Vol 2 for the Sexton's Secret in time to promote some mook to sacrifice so Poppy fed my winter 10 cultist I inherited to the Sun-In-Rags instead. I managed to use the Winter influence that resulted from that to promote Cat to a believer and she's been fumbling around in the Mithraeum for days trying to find that secret door so I can get the manacles and actually start getting a cult. On the other hand I actually managed to progress past Mr. Alden without murdering him: He just retired randomly and now my money situation is stable. I also have zero idea what to even do. I suspect that now I'm getting the CultSim Experience at it's most pure.

I mean, the Apostle legacies are where CultSim is at its most spiteful. Most of the time it's fairly benevolent, but it loving hates Apostles. There's a reason the victory text says "only one in twenty players even achieve a standard victory, and fewer still make it here".

Materant fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 22, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Question: Is there a notable difficulty difference between a Lantern Apostle, a Forge Apostle and a Grail Apostle?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

come back revielled

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Junpei posted:

Question: Is there a notable difficulty difference between a Lantern Apostle, a Forge Apostle and a Grail Apostle?

At the very least Lantern Apostle would likely give you better starting stuff then Forge/Grail most of the time. A Seer can get you to the Mithraeum and thus the Lantern masterpiece painting much more quickly. Your high-level Lantern lore would get you all the way to the Peacock Door without much fuss and let you fulfill the doctor patron's requests easily when paired with a high-level Secret Histories lore easily obtained from the Ways you start with.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Junpei posted:

If you're playing it blind, Forge gives the most straightforward hints on what you need to do and Lantern gives the most obscure ones.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Certain legacies tend to point you in the direction of specific ascensions by virtue of their starting lore and starting temptation. My first win was Grail as a Bright Young Thing for this reason, and Physician is an easy Lantern path. I think this is quite good because it subtly nudges you towards having a cult of the same aspect as your temptation, which makes the minor victory a good bit easier.

I don't think there's a legacy that points you towards forge ascension like this though, which is why I'm only just attempting one now.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 22, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lantern is hardest, imo, from the tasks to the Long showdown. Grail is probably easiest except for a frustrating bit of spicey logic

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Well, goodness me, this was a good time to be bored and go "Wait, I need an LP to read." Voting 5 as soon as I finish this post, and good job on completing what was my first Ascension victory (My second was Grail, because I am a thirsty HONGRY boy.)

I really should get back to Cultist Sim, now that they've added more Ascensions (the lack thereof frustrated the hell out of me after I'd reviewed the game.) But, y'know, reviewer lyfe... Always more stuff to write about, rarely enough time to have fun. (Also one of the reasons I haven't done an LP myself in a long while.)

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Ephemeron posted:

If you're playing it blind, Forge gives the most straightforward hints on what you need to do and Lantern gives the most obscure ones.

Having now failed my Forge Apostle victory I disagree with that very strongly. One of the Forge hints seems clear, but actually leads you in the complete wrong direction and I ended up in an unwinnable state because I thought I had it figured out and then ran out one of the timers that I needed going the wrong direction. Which is a shame because I had all of the other ingredients for the Great Work gathered up, tidied up a persistent distraction(Saliba was surprisingly helpful there, was trying to kill him off but he apparently kicks serious rear end in a fistfight) and was generally in a good place.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Got a random question, but does anybody know what the Peacock Door means lore-wise? I believe I understand that passing through the Tricuspid Gate makes one a Long and immortal, but what about the other doors?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a language

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

god please help me posted:

Got a random question, but does anybody know what the Peacock Door means lore-wise? I believe I understand that passing through the Tricuspid Gate makes one a Long and immortal, but what about the other doors?

There are many doors in the Mansus, more than just the ones that appear in the game. Not all of them have significance beyond simply mechanical progression.

The Peacock Door is/was the goddess Vak, whose language was the first spoken by humans. She doesn't open, as such, but will allow you through if you bring her a mirror (or you can bring a powerful enough Knock artefact to just barge on through).

Other doors: the White Door is the door by which the dead enter the Mansus. It takes the voice of anyone who passes. It's not the only door into the Mansus but it's the one we use in the game.

The Stag Door is/was Ghirbi, a Name who was disgraced by, iirc, failing in his job of killing the Horned-Axe during the coup against the gods-from-stone (aka the Lithomachy). He now has the fun job of posing riddles to anyone who comes by; if you can answer his riddle you're well enough versed in the invisible arts to be labelled a Know.

I don't recall much about the spider door other than it's THIRSTY. And sometimes alternatively called the Wrong Door.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maugrim posted:

The Stag Door is/was Ghirbi, a Name who was disgraced by, iirc, failing in his job of killing the Horned-Axe during the coup against the gods-from-stone (aka the Lithomachy). He now has the fun job of posing riddles to anyone who comes by; if you can answer his riddle you're well enough versed in the invisible arts to be labelled a Know.

I thought Ghirbi just guards the Stag Gate, which was the one the Colonel broke through to invade the Mansus.

There are seven doors in the Mansus, which according to one lore book correspond to the seven orifices of the body. In particularly obscure lore, each also has a key.

We know of the White, Stag, Spider, Peacock and Tricuspid gates. I'm pretty sure one of the others leads to (Dancer spoiler) the moon, and the secret realm of the Meniscate. The other might be a door to Nowhere. On the other hand, it might be the Watchman himself, as he is also called the Door In The Eye and guards the Glory.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 24, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Other than the White, what other doors can be used to humans to enter the Mansus?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Other than the White, what other doors can be used to humans to enter the Mansus?

The Tricuspid Gate is how Kate entered, passing through bodily to become immortal.

You can enter the Stag, Spider and Peacock gates in dreams.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What is a minor victory versus ascending? Living a good life with only slightly glowing eyes?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Donkringel posted:

What is a minor victory versus ascending? Living a good life with only slightly glowing eyes?

Pretty much. Making a successful career or settling down with someone you love. A happy, but mortal, ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty much. Making a successful career or settling down with someone you love. A happy, but mortal, ending.

"I have my fire, my books, my clock, my window on the world where they do other things. I could have been unhappy. I'm not unhappy. This was a successful life, and when it is over the sweet earth will fill my mouth, softer than splinters."