Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

The editing is easy - \SteamApps\common\Cultist Simulator\cultistsimulator_Data\StreamingAssets\content\core contains the raw data and they're plain .json files you can edit with any text editor. With patience, creativity and a good sense of how to map the variables you could probably restructure the entire game in Notepad.

Huh. I think doing this to set Lesson Learnt cards to burn out after like, 15mins would take a lot of the annoyance out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

nweismuller posted:

Well, just got my second-ever standard victory in this game, not least because of this LP. And now I need to delve into unfamiliar (and likely more difficult) territory.

See, I've found not playing conservatively is fairly suicidal. You need to figure out how to manage the various classes of nastiness the game throws at you, but once you figure out risk management for the major axes of threat, the way to get a game to the end is to choke back on any risks once some threat crops up, then do what's needed to get things back in an acceptable state.

Ehhhhh, I'll agree to a certain extent. There are certain things that have thresholds where you do need to be careful. I will say though that I've put a lot of time into the game and can get a standard victory consistently every time now (barring the occasional bout of sheer idiocy.) The further you dig into the mechanics, the more apparent it quickly becomes that a lot of so called "threats" aren't actually all that threatening, doubly so if you're using some of the unpatchable engine exploits. In fact, many of the game ending conditions are actually made MORE threatening by playing slowly and methodically because it gives the various threat verbs more time to collect the cards that will doom you. Acting quickly and decisively, even with some element of risk often gives you more free time to act without worry. Some of this is also personal preference though and what you do and don't consider "acceptable loss".

As the thread progresses, I'll go into a little more detail on some of the ways to break the game's back, assuming Reveilled has no issues with me doing so. I don't want to start talking about things though until they're introduced in the LP though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zengetsu posted:

Ehhhhh, I'll agree to a certain extent. There are certain things that have thresholds where you do need to be careful. I will say though that I've put a lot of time into the game and can get a standard victory consistently every time now (barring the occasional bout of sheer idiocy.) The further you dig into the mechanics, the more apparent it quickly becomes that a lot of so called "threats" aren't actually all that threatening, doubly so if you're using some of the unpatchable engine exploits. In fact, many of the game ending conditions are actually made MORE threatening by playing slowly and methodically because it gives the various threat verbs more time to collect the cards that will doom you. Acting quickly and decisively, even with some element of risk often gives you more free time to act without worry. Some of this is also personal preference though and what you do and don't consider "acceptable loss".

As the thread progresses, I'll go into a little more detail on some of the ways to break the game's back, assuming Reveilled has no issues with me doing so. I don't want to start talking about things though until they're introduced in the LP though.

I'm fine with that, definitely! All "don't discuss x" rules go out the window when we pass the Stag Door, probably. As regards engine exploits, I'll probably bring some of them up in the course of the mechanics updates but if I haven't covered them by the time the rules lift, go nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of exploits I'm unaware of. I did briefly touch on the fact that timers stop when you place a card in a slot, but I don't really consider that an exploit, unlike some of the other ways.

Personally I'd disagree that playing slow increases the threat much as long as you use the slow play to neutralise any threat as soon as it appears; if you never take any notorious action while you have one notoriety already, if you paint away restlessness as soon as it appears, or let it decay to dread when you need it, the danger actions can't really hurt you. I think the only loss I've ever suffered by overcaution was Lydia's game, where I made a promise to Poppy and then played so slow I hadn't even founded a cult by the time she came back because I had decided to buy every book in London instead.

I do agree that it's a pretty boring way to play, and optimal or not, high caution feels like the optimal way to play the game because the consequences for loss are pretty significant in that you flush several hours of gameplay down the drain, and it becomes a vicious cycle where the more cautiously you play, the more time you have invested in the game, and so the more you stand to lose, so you play even more cautiously, etc etc. Unfortunately humans as game players prefer to take the moves that seem likeliest to win, rather than the moves that seem most fun, and then get bored as a result, which I see as something of a failure on the part of the game designer, because they should be aware of player behaviour and spend time considering how to make the most fun way to play the game feel like the optimal way, and how to make the optimal way to play fun.

The game definitely is more fun if you play it faster and a little riskier, so I endorse your call to others to try it that way, especially players familiar with the game.

nweismuller posted:

Well, just got my second-ever standard victory in this game, not least because of this LP. And now I need to delve into unfamiliar (and likely more difficult) territory.

Congrats! I'm really glad to hear that.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 16, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Once you understand exactly what is needed to win you can do some really goofy stuff. It's possible to win without even forming a cult. Unusual Habit Simulator.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't you need some expedition stuff in order to win though?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

wiegieman posted:

There are substitutes for cultists at both low and high level. It's not gonna be easy though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It takes some good knowledge of the game to run it effectively. Basically work backward from your goal to identify what you need and where to get them. Hell, even in a normal game you stop sending cultists themselves out on expeditions after a while.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I'm fine with that, definitely! All "don't discuss x" rules go out the window when we pass the Stag Door, probably. As regards engine exploits, I'll probably bring some of them up in the course of the mechanics updates but if I haven't covered them by the time the rules lift, go nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of exploits I'm unaware of. I did briefly touch on the fact that timers stop when you place a card in a slot, but I don't really consider that an exploit, unlike some of the other ways.

Personally I'd disagree that playing slow increases the threat much as long as you use the slow play to neutralise any threat as soon as it appears; if you never take any notorious action while you have one notoriety already, if you paint away restlessness as soon as it appears, or let it decay to dread when you need it, the danger actions can't really hurt you.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to talking about it then!

I'll also take this time to correct myself. I shouldn't have said it's more dangerous, but I will say that often what looks like an additional risk is often misleading. For example, the difference between having 1 notoriety on the board is fairly similar to the risk of having any number of additional ones, as long as they share fairly similar decay timers. If you're going to do crime, it often pays out to do a WHOLE LOT OF CRIME all at once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Unfortunately humans as game players prefer to take the moves that seem likeliest to win, rather than the moves that seem most fun, and then get bored as a result, which I see as something of a failure on the part of the game designer, because they should be aware of player behaviour and spend time considering how to make the most fun way to play the game feel like the optimal way, and how to make the optimal way to play fun.

The game definitely is more fun if you play it faster and a little riskier, so I endorse your call to others to try it that way, especially players familiar with the game.

this is absolutely the case. for example, the entire Rival system is actually very hard to trigger unless you specifically go for it; a "normal" player will likely never encounter it unless they play as a cop

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool

wiegieman posted:

There was someone who made a record of their no cult, no expeditions, no notoriety, pacifist run some time ago.

It was a laborious process, but entirely possible.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Is this taken posted:

There was someone who made a record of their no cult, no expeditions, no notoriety, pacifist run some time ago.

It was a laborious process, but entirely possible.

Do you happen to have the name of the person who did the no notoriety run? I can see how you could get about two-thirds of what you need for victory via being very careful without getting notoriety, but the last third of the way I'm sort of stumped on.

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool

nweismuller posted:

Do you happen to have the name of the person who did the no notoriety run? I can see how you could get about two-thirds of what you need for victory via being very careful without getting notoriety, but the last third of the way I'm sort of stumped on.

I looked it up again to make sure, it was a reddit post on the Weather Factory subreddit by someone named "Tahilix1"

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

nweismuller posted:

Entirely possible, but can only be done with Desire: Power.

Start by buying out Bookstore and Auction House, you'll get a bunch of lore, but most importantly "A True and Complete Accounting of the Asclepian Mysteries of the Roots of the House", which gives you the Rite of The Map's Edge. Convert and merge lore until you have magnitude 14 Forge Lore.

Hire the Forge Hireling and have him do cult business until you get Bitterblack Salts. Get the unique Forge Painting. Farm the Stag Door for Forge Influences and combine them to a Magnitude 15.

Use your desire, the lore, the painting, and the influence in the Rite of Map's Edge to ascend. No expeditions required, no notoriety generated. Although, it could be argued that if your forge ever hurts himself doing cult business, you've failed your pacifist run and would need to restart.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot, said Cultless, yeah would have to be Sunset Rite.

Is this taken posted:

I looked it up again to make sure, it was a reddit post on the Weather Factory subreddit by someone named "Tahilix1"

Yeah, he's only posted that one thing, so should be easy to lookup.

Zengetsu fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 17, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is that icon her skin peeling off? I never noticed that, and I have a Forge Victory.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is that icon her skin peeling off? I never noticed that, and I have a Forge Victory.

I didn't notice that until I started doing a Dancer run to get the Moth victory and after reading some of the club cards you get I was like ooooh yeah wow

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"What may be lost?"

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"What may be lost?"

Go away Mr. Eaten this is a different game!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well :q:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well :q:

What was, will be.

Different Kennedy thing but it's still good. :colbert:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Zengetsu posted:

Nevermind, I'm an idiot, said Cultless, yeah would have to be Sunset Rite.

Sunset Rite is lore/follower/sacrifice influence. Map's Edge is lore/sacrifice influence/tool, so that's the one they'd have to use. Pretty sure hirelings don't help with rites.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like this is going into too much detail that the LP hasn't covered yet. I'd love to hear more about how that was done in the Games thread though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page 43

Tonight, as promised, Cat, Neville, and I paid the Ecdysis Club a visit. I paid our entry and drinks, as a thankyou for everyone's hard work while I have been ill. Holding a meeting at a club was a fine idea, not least because unlike my dining room, someone other than me does the table service.

We chatted through the evening, sharing stories of our dreams, while the dancers on stage lost things as an ecdysiast is wont to do. Poor Neville blushed and stared into his drink, though I noticed him steal a glance any time he looked up.

Our discussions must have prompted interest, as a few hours in we were joined by a woman who enquired how we were finding the festivities this evening.

Sulochana Amavasya, as she introduced herself, is the owner of the club, it seems.

As the night progressed, she enquired if we had any interest in learning to dance. I thanked her for the offer but explained our path was more of a scholarly one. She was very gracious about it, and simply said she'd be happy to be a sympathetic ear if ever we wished for someone to listen.

Page 43+i

Dear Diary,

This is my third trip to The Wood, including my initial discovery. I am glad to see you have arrived with me, the notes I made in your dreamed pages were not present when I awoke last time, but are visible now for my review. It seems I must keep two diaries, a dream journal, and a dream journal, aha ha.

The Wood feels different tonight. I have learned a little of the aspects now, and this time The Wood is laced with Moth and...something else. Where before The Wood was dark and, frankly, scary, tonight it feels brighter, warmer. Previously I saw the Wood just as Illopoly described it, now I feel like Alice on a trip through Wonderland; there's still a danger here, but it has a strangely cheery disposition.

On my walk tonight I felt almost as if the trees were lined up to frame a hill in the distance, carving a path from every possible viewpoint. That path brought me here, to the Temple of The Wheel.

I read about this temple in Travelling at Night. An ancient monument to a dead God-from-Stone, slain by The Moth in an event called the Lithomachy. This temple, once a house of veneration, now a bloody testament to the dominance of the gods humanity birthed, the Gods-from-Flesh and the Gods-from-Blood.

I drank in the air and felt a pride and confidence in what We had done, once. I am one billions of inheritors of that legacy. But unlike most of my brothers and sisters, I will repeat my ancestors' trick.

Page 44

Morning

I awoke this morning brimming with energy. There's a spring in my step as I think back on how far I've come in just a month or two. What progress we've made!

I think my little organisation makes an excellent team, I have to say. Right now I might be stuck as the breadwinner, working to provide the funds we need to progress, but Cat and Neville help immeasurably. Cat and Neville are out exploring the city for new places of interest.

I think I shall stop by Morland's for a new book to treat myself.

Evening

A truly disturbing find at the shop today.

I knew Morland stocked some frightful books, but I never expected to see this book again. A dread tome, whose mere name strikes fear into the hearts of millions, that hellspawned codex the sight of which brings children to tears. I stared for a while at that book, trembling. Every fiber of my being told me to run, to flee the shop and forget my foolish pretentions to greatness. But I suppressed those notions, closed my eyes tight, faced my fear, and handed over the money. Ms Morland casually noted that this copy had been signed by the author, and showed me the signature on the inside cover. As she opened the inside cover to show me that hated villain's signature, my life flashed before my eyes.

Yes, Dear Diary, today I bought the most evil book ever made by human hands. Today I bought Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar.

Page 45

As I lay in bed last night, my mind drifted back to my recent experience in The Wood. I thought a bit about the Gods-from-Flesh and the Gods-from-Blood. The strength of one's mind is important, I realised, but a person is more than just a brain in a skull! I've made a promise to my flesh and my blood to take better care of it. I spent the day exercising.

Recruitment for our merry band continues. I decided to take Neville along tonight, and for a change we sought out some places in the rougher parts of town. I thought a little time outside his comfort zone would do the boy some good. I assured him cheerily that nothing would go wrong. Still, he barely spoke a word all night.

In one particularly dark establishment, I became acquainted with a man who menacingly suggested we looked lost. I smiled back, and handed him a drink.

Victor's had a hard time of it. He's sharper than most in that establishment, but he's had to do some "distasteful" things to get by. He wants to be faithful, but faith is bringing him misery. I assume he thought me a Deaconess, here in a den of vice to minister to the sinners. I think deep down, he was hoping for a lecture on his evil ways, someone to validate those guilty feelings. But I offered him something much better. I offered him an easier path, a more honest path. No guilt, no shame, no remorse. Just Glorious purpose.

We talked through the night, and in the light of dawn I purged the guilt from his soul.

Page 46

I was sore this morning from the exercise yesterday. I might need to pay more attention to stretches. But my exercise continues.

While Neville and I had our night on the town last night, Cat was attending an auction with an old friend. We met for dinner tonight and discussed the place. Over dinner, she shared some impressions of the things she'd seen for sale. A promising lead as an alternative to Morland's if I'm in the market for some light reading.

Speaking of reading, as dinner concluded, I mentioned to Cat my intent to commence my study of Gildersleeve's tonight. She shivered, and murmered "I am just going outside and may be some time." Tonight, I envy that cowardice.

Page 46+i

Sed ut perspiciatis, unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam eaque ipsa, quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt, explicabo.

Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem, quia voluptas sit, aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos, qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt, neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit, amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt, ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit, qui in ea voluptate velit esse, quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum, qui dolorem eum fugiat, quo voluptas nulla pariatur?

Page 47

At last, time in The Wood has begun to bear fruit. Until now it's been mere notions, spice for the mind, but tonight it was, at last, something tangible. Written in Latin because of course a dream would give me no respite from the torture I subjected myself to last night, but in the dream I could read it and recite perfectly. I wish it could be that easy when I am awake!

At our group's meeting at dusk , Victor reported troubling news. It seems my actions are earning me something of a reputation. Recruitment of Neville and Victor has not gone unnoticed in their old haunts it seems, and out there in certain places chins are wagging.

Unfortunately it seems the Supression Bureau is taking interest.

Luckily mere counselling is not a crime, and a social club is not evidence of a conspiracy. But I must take care from here, this meddlesome detective cannot be permitted to interfere.

Cat reported back to our group of certain oddities in the moonlight in places she found last night. Some cast disturbing moonlit shadows that seem to have no source. Others project a peculiar radiance that seems to enrich and enhance the glow of moon. Meanwhile, I reported of what I had learned in my dream.

We decided to split up tonight and explore seperately. Victor and Neville would investigate the clues, Cat and I would investigate these strange streets.

As Cat and I walked along lamplit pavements, we discussed how far we'd come, Doctor and "patient". She thanked me again for liberating her from the institute, which I waved off with a smile. I only did what was utterly right. She said it must have been fate that crossed our paths, and I couldn't disagree. Finally, we came to those streets.

The moonlight was unlike anything I'd ever seen. The Moon, of course, is the greatest mirror of all, and in the reflected light, everything, and everyone, radiated beauty.

I was happy to oblige.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 4

Okay, I'm going to cover events from the last update out of order in this one since there's a few points to cover.

First up, new Lores. We got our third follower, Victor. He's Edge aligned, as you can see from the aspect icon below his description. Edge is the principle of violence, both the cunning strategy and the bloodthirsty murder. Edge is also associated with treason, but I'd maintain it is equally the principle of a soldier's loyalty, and Victor here will be a loyal soldier for the Mirror.

Also, thanks to her dream, Kate is under the influence of Heart for now. Heart is, in some sense, the opposite principle to Edge. Heart is the principle of Determination, life, preservation, and relentless, unstoppable optimism. Basically:

Joking aside, I think Heart is an interesting choice for a game like Cultist Simulator. It's the sort of thing that really hammers home the notion that despite the 1920s setting, despite the cults and the summons and the forbidden knowledge that drives you mad, this is not the same tired old Cthulhu Mythos stuff. The lore of Cultist Simulator has some actual unique thought put into it.

Second, new people! We have a patron now, but of course it's the one patron who's an exception to all the rules about patrons. Sulochana is special in two ways. She's the entry point to the Dancer DLC, for starters, if we discuss out temptation with her, we can trade it in for a temptation towards change and a contract for work at Ecdysis. She still shows up even if you don't have the DLC, in which case she's only useful for the other thing: Talking. I've mentioned before that the timer on a card stops when it's placed in an action. When we talk to Sulochana, we get a slot that takes a topic we want to talk to her about. The only productive use is for Dancer related chat, but the slot will take absolutely any card at all. Put a card in, and it stops counting down, a useful way to save a card indefinitely as long as you don't mind tying up the talk action as long as needed. Useful!

Correction: Attentive reader Tylana reminds us that Sulochana is also a Sanskrit tutor, a service I've used before and should not have forgotten, giving her a second productive use that gives her a function even if you don't own the DLC. We'll talk about languages later in the update. Thanks for the correction, Tylana

And this guy. Ah, Weary Detective, my old friend, my old nemesis. Weary Detective is the hunter, or specifically, the first hunter (but the only one you'll ever likely see). A Hunter spawns during the Season of Suspicion, if you have a reputation card on the board when it pops.

What are reputation cards? Reputation comes in two flavours, Mystique and Notoriety. You could think of mystique as being something that's not illegal, but is super loving suspicious and would definitely make the authorities interested in gathering more information about you. Recruiting cultists, meeting patrons, and selling paintings raise your mystique, as people come to know you as a spooky occulist person. Meanwhile Notoriety is actual illegal poo poo what you done.

When the Season of Suspicion comes around and you have a hunter, they begin investigating, and draw a random reputation card from the Tableau. If they drew a Mystique, the timer runs down and they draw again. It can only end when either there are no cards left to draw, or the hunter drew Notoriety. Assuming a standard detective, what happens then is that if the Hunter ended on nothing, they stop investigating, and if they ended on notoriety, they transform that into evidence. If they already have evidence and they go to generate another, it's prison for you or one of your lackeys, if you don't know the right people.

So why is the Weary Detective the only one you'll ever see? One way to try to stop a pending investigation is to kill the hunter. The evidence may not get destroyed, but it could throw off the scent just long enough to escape. Once Upon a Time, you got a random hunter drawn from the pool, and the Weary Detective would be the last one, the guy you got when all the cool hunters ran out. The other hunters have powers like the ability to create evidence even if they didn't find notoriety, so stabbing your way through the Met's Consulting Detective initiative was generally a pretty good strategy to get to the one dude who doesn't cause problems if you don't gently caress up. But having to cut a swathe through the Scotland Yard God Squad every game feels weird for a game about a cult trying to remain secret and hidden, so that was scrapped in favour of the current rule: the first detective is always PC Chumpsmith. Now all the bad hunters are a punishment for killing Inspector Halfday Holiday. The problem with that is you practically have to try to ever get yourself into a situation where it actually makes sense to try killing him, so he's always there, always bumbling, never getting the damning evidence he needs to really put you in the jail.

What else happened? Oh yes, I levelled up my Health using some vitality gained from Exercise. I could do this quicker by working at manual labour but Kate didn't get a PhD in Psychiatry just so she could stack shelves in Sainsbury's, thankyouverymuch, so I'll mostly do it in the background.

We also got the Auction House, the last fixed location. Much as you might expect, if we explore using the auction house, it will present us with an item and we can then add funds to bid on said item, possibly being outbid several times along the way. There's only one totally unique item at the Auction House, all others are copies of things we can find on expeditions or from Morland's Shop. If we have an item to sell, we can also use the auction house to do so, which is a large part of how we'll generate funds in the end game.

And we got our first language book. We can study language books to learn them, which will be important soon when we start coming across books written in Latin, Greek and Sanskrit. Much later we'll need to learn other much older languages (spoilers: Not Proto-Indo-European).

Side note, if you thought I was overdoing it a bit with the jokes about the Latin textbook, please accept my heartfelt congratulations on your having been fortunate enough to not attend a school which taught Latin.

Finally, Love is in the Air! Cat has gained a point in Lantern from the all-conquering power of love. To romance a follower, we have to take them on a "date" of sorts, usually to a place that connects with their lore type, by talking about that place with them.

Lantern and Knock followers like Cat and Neville use Strange Streets by Moonlight, the card that repeats from the location deck when you explore and draw a location after finding all three fixed locations.

On the date you have to show your goals are aligned by adding the matching temptation card. Cat wants us to share the Enlightenment goal, which we do, so we're a perfect match.

I've never actually done a romance before in Cultist Simulator, so in some senses I'm as blind to this as Kate is, though Kate can't consult a wiki. We'll cover mechanics for romance as they come up. But despite my rather meagre knowledge of the romance mechanics I'm sure there's no chance at all this will turn out badly, none at all.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 18, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The delightful Soluchana can also teach you Sanskrit (that's the yellow apple aspect she has), before her it was the one language without a tutor. Not that it was hard to get a book on the subject, but.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I love this game’s language mechanic. It’s very thematic and they get tantalizingly esoteric with multiple ways to learn each one.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Thank you for bringing up how the lore and tone is slightly different from the standard Chthulu Mythos. As we go on, we'll see a lot of stuff that actually parallels with real-world esoteric traditions, which is way way cooler and more interesting to me. They really did their homework with this one and it really shines when reading about Lore.

Also Sulochana rules.

edit: oh and thanks for clearing up the bit about Weary Detective. For awhile I saw all these people complaining about these cool and badass hunters and I'm sitting here like, "What? I always got Weary Detective the first time." I will love and cherish this man.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 18, 2019

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I got this game because of the LP and.... Is there a mod to untilt the table?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Glory fades, but horror endures; so it is that the Roman empire fell to ruin but we still have to memorize declensions fifteen hundred years later.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I may have left a trail of dead hunters in my wake. I sought and gained power, you see.

Don't want to spoil what I did just yet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tylana posted:

The delightful Soluchana can also teach you Sanskrit (that's the yellow apple aspect she has), before her it was the one language without a tutor. Not that it was hard to get a book on the subject, but.

Thanks for reminding me! I'll pop that into the update.

megane posted:

Glory fades, but horror endures; so it is that the Roman empire fell to ruin but we still have to memorize declensions fifteen hundred years later.

When I see younger men casually throw around words like "boni", a monster within me darkly rumbles "BUT THIS IS THE GENITIVE CASE SO IT IS BONORUM. DESTROY THIS NEOPHYTE" If only they knew the horror that is that dead language, they would not tempt fate by being clever with its corpse.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 18, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm not familiar with this game at all beyond this LP and the reading I've done on the wiki since the LP started, but it seems like there must've been a better solution to the implementation of Hunters. Why not stay with letting the hunters spawn completely randomly, but let the pool of hunters repopulate so just killing your way through them wasn't a viable long-term solution?

I guess (looking at the wiki) some of the hunter profiles would need to be rewritten so that they're archetypes rather than named individuals, but that seems like a relatively straightforward fix.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

JerryLee posted:

I'm not familiar with this game at all beyond this LP and the reading I've done on the wiki since the LP started, but it seems like there must've been a better solution to the implementation of Hunters. Why not stay with letting the hunters spawn completely randomly, but let the pool of hunters repopulate so just killing your way through them wasn't a viable long-term solution?

I guess (looking at the wiki) some of the hunter profiles would need to be rewritten so that they're archetypes rather than named individuals, but that seems like a relatively straightforward fix.

Killing your way through them was never a viable long-term solution because the generic Weary Detective respawned.

Plus, unless you're exceptionally careless, Hunters are more of a mild-to-moderate annoyance than a serious threat.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, I won't go too deep into it since the LP hasn't gotten there, but suffice it to say the entire hunter mechanic has some serious flaws, of which this is only the tip of the iceberg. It probably deserves to be redesigned from the ground up.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think it makes more sense, story-wise, that they send the grunt who would rather be doing something else when your character, at this point, is a harmless nerd starting a weird club.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 19, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the lorem ipsum offends, and i would not associate loyalty with edge personally but rather with heart

also, sulochana's character card is missing an interesting icon that almost everyone else does in fact have.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

the lorem ipsum offends, and i would not associate loyalty with edge personally but rather with heart

also, sulochana's character card is missing an interesting icon that almost everyone else does in fact have.

Is it Lorem ipsum?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Huh. Good eye.

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool

and i would not associate loyalty with edge personally but rather with heart

The Church of the Bright Edge puts it best: they serve until death, or the resolution of strengths.

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool
*woops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

If I had to guess I'd say that it's missing so that she couldn't get eaten by a rogue summon which would make heart/moth victories impossible, but who knows :tinfoil: