Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also, sulochana's character card is missing an interesting icon that almost everyone else does in fact have.

If I had to guess I'd say that it's missing so that she couldn't get eaten by a rogue summon which would make heart/moth victories impossible, but who knows :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Oh I know, but the Thunderskin risked it with the Ring-Yew too and got flayed for his trouble.

The Thunderskin was a follower of the Grail at that point, rather than an Hour in their own right. Them being flayed was a cost of the peace treaty between the up-and-coming riff-raff of the Gods-From-Blood and the last of the prehistoric (and possibly preHistoric?) Gods-From-Stone, specifically because they were precious to both Grail (as a follower) and Ring-Yew (as a lover). However, after they were flayed and ejected from the Mansus they somehow dragged themselves back in via the Peacock Door and ascended as the Beat Unceasing.

It's suspected that the Grail somehow orchestrated (heh) this in order to set up a Grail-aligned rival claimant to Heart, which was previously dominated by the Twins.

That the Horned-Axe was able to resist the interlopers where the other Gods-From-Stone couldn't is really interesting to me. I've seen some theorize that it's because poor Ghirbi was supposed to take its place, and when he got decapitated that was the end of it. This seems a bit too simplistic to me, and instead I believe that it's to do with Horned-Axe adapting to changing circumstance rather than remaining static, which is what made the other Gods-From-Stone vulnerable. Horned-Axe (I believe) was once a single-aspected Hour of Edge, or some precursor to Edge, but surrendered that realm to the Colonel and found a new place for itself as the Guardian of Thresholds. This might be why Ghirbi, one of the instigators of this transformation, guards the Stag Door to this day.

Old gods do new jobs. Those who cannot evolve will be replaced.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Mileage may vary, but here's my understanding and/or beliefs:

Lantern: Light, unflinching revelation, and to some extent the Mansus and the Sun that shines over it. Dominated by the Watchman, who is the Door-in-the-Eye.
Forge: Transformation, fire, artifice, creation and destruction. Dominated, of course, by the Forge of Days.
Edge: Violence, martial skill, betrayal. Once dominated by the Colonel, now challenged by the Lionsmith.
Winter: Death, endings, and silence. Dominated by the Sun-in-Rags, and to a lesser extent the other children of the Intercalate.
Heart: Unstoppable perseverance. Formerly dominated by the Sister-and-Witch / Witch-and-Sister, now arguably dominated, or at least very strongly challenged, by the Thunderskin.
Grail: Hungers of all sorts, and their satiation. Dominated by the Red Grail.
Moth: Chaos, secrets, nature. Dominated by the Moth.
Knock: Openings, both literal and conceptual. Doors, wounds, portals, revelations. Dominated by the Mother of Ants.

Miscellaneous footnotes:

1) 'Dominated' is a strong word, and I'm sure some would disagree with its use here. Forge of Days (the Hour) does, of course, have a strong claim to Forge (the Principle), but the Lionsmith also has Forge as an aspect, and it can be said that the Forge of Days also possesses the aspect of Lantern. But it's my belief that the Principles are the conceptual territory laid claim to by the strongest of the Hours, while others live in between, staking out concepts not quite strong enough to be a Principle but still strong enough to... sustain them? Justify them? Entertain them?

2) There's the equally valid argument that instead of Hours dominated Principles, perhaps Principles dominate some Hours entirely, whereas others escape being totally influenced by a single Principle.

3) It is my belief that Principles change, just as Hours do. Was Heart called Heart before the Heart Unceasing ascended as an Hour? Before the Sun-in-Rags, there was the Sun-in-Splendour, and at that time, would Winter have existed? Wouldn't Lantern have instead been called something like Sun or Summer? Before the Forge of Days, there was Flint. What Principle did they possess? Surely not Forge. An important question: do the Hours change when the Principles do, or do the Principles change when the Hours do? Or do both change in thrall to some third force?

4) Some claim that Principles have an... alignment, of sorts. Sometimes unkindness is said to be inherent to Lantern, or mercy to Winter. I've seen it argued that loyalty is as inherent to Edge as betrayal. Whether this is true, or anthropomorphism by human apostles, or based on the personality of the Hours closely aligned to them, or the cultural flotsam of historical cults dedicated to these powers, or moral judgements applied to beings and concepts above (or below) them, I don't know.

5) Don't get too hung up on strict delineations. Transformation may be of Forge, but followers of other Principles will still undergo changes should they begin their ascents. Hunger may be of Grail, but any Principle can be an object of obsession. Violence is of Edge, but anyone can use it as a means to an end. There is always overlap, bleed-through, and cross-contamination.

6) I've not delved into the most recent DLCs yet, so there might be pieces of the puzzle others have that I've not seen.

7) Finally, Secret Histories: Sort of a Principle. There are five pasts and only one future. Arguably all Hours have a claim to it, but the Vagabond seems to be the most occupied with the Histories. The Baldomerian, though not an Hour, is also connected to them, but I'm not sure if it's a mystical connection or more of a hobby.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 17, 2019

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Edit: beaten by a much better write-up

In this case I think the best write-up is multiple write-ups. The game peppers the player with a thousand glimpses via unreliable narrators, so only one person's opinion would give people the wrong idea.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Junpei posted:

...I just realized that the reason Moth converts to Lantern is that light attracts moths in real life.

Or does light attract moths because Moth converts to Lantern?

:tinfoil: