Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hail hydra, actually. promote everyone to disciples as soon as you find a mithreum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I for one am completely fine with the mechanics updates as I'm not likely to play this myself, but would still like to know how it works. It's like dwarf fortress- fun to hear about, hell to actually play

it is not hell to play

dwarf fortress is a battle against the interface; cultist simulator's interface is very clear. the post about "clear on the how, opaque on the why" is spot on.

i would compare getting stuck in cultist sim to a timed BABA is YOU puzzle, with all the apocalyptic frustration/oh god it makes sense now that this would entail.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Unfortunately humans as game players prefer to take the moves that seem likeliest to win, rather than the moves that seem most fun, and then get bored as a result, which I see as something of a failure on the part of the game designer, because they should be aware of player behaviour and spend time considering how to make the most fun way to play the game feel like the optimal way, and how to make the optimal way to play fun.

The game definitely is more fun if you play it faster and a little riskier, so I endorse your call to others to try it that way, especially players familiar with the game.

this is absolutely the case. for example, the entire Rival system is actually very hard to trigger unless you specifically go for it; a "normal" player will likely never encounter it unless they play as a cop

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"What may be lost?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the lorem ipsum offends, and i would not associate loyalty with edge personally but rather with heart

also, sulochana's character card is missing an interesting icon that almost everyone else does in fact have.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i imagine the other one is there so that you don't get locked out of being able to repair mirrors

and yeah it's not just the Dancer expansion, if you do the newgame+ ascensions and have a decent eye for early Heart books then sulochana's connections are pretty explicit

e:

Is this taken posted:

The Church of the Bright Edge puts it best: they serve until death, or the resolution of strengths.

yeah edge is the loyalty of prison gangs i guess, but soldiers in an army aren't just hanging around until they can build up enough power to kill their sarge and take his position

one of the nice things about cultist sim's principles is that they're quite hard to sum up in the single words that define most videogame/RPG pantheons though

ee:

oh wait though you've got the whole Rebel striving thing as well. maybe i'm wrong then

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 19, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Automatically writing to a journal file would be pretty good, so you could review it when you're not actually playing, but yeah, its kind of a flaw at present

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean given the Bloomberg connection it's probably grail-themed in this history

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can also get a third, moderately poo poo summon that everyone forgets about, but, assuming you're not putting neville to work, can be obtained by working out a couple times and thinking real hard about the results

otherwise i guess you need some bookshop help

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm the leathery remnant

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the devil are you doing dealing with those

give the right gifts to your knockers and you can get hold of much more useful followers without even using influences; just lore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think basically you need to use passion more. that's pretty much it. i think i've gotten more money out of it following the change, but that's a) because i rarely paint with less than 2 passion and b) probably entirely anecdotal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean i guess there's a chance that might have happened in a very secret history

the "exploit", incidentally, is fully intended by game designers. that doesn't mean it's something you need to play with, of course

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the... what? the new upgrade system takes about half as long as the old one, uses less resources, allows the use of non-used-up resources, and keeps your progress if you fail

also lol at the representation of British rail

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Oh I know, but the Thunderskin risked it with the Ring-Yew too and got flayed for his trouble.

was he an Hour at that point? thunderskin is a god-from-blood after all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

Does the lore ever go out and say why immortals having children is such a big sin? Or does it just repeat Crime of the Sky a lot?

because otherwise you'd have a colossal, enormous, ridiculous number of immortals kicking about probably

Materant posted:

It does bring it up somewhere, but I forget where. Putting this behind spoiler tags just to be safe: If two Long have a child, they are possessed of an almost insatiable urge to devour the child. Of course, almost insatiable means that it can be avoided, and those that aren't devoured are immortal in their own right: alukites. We may have already met an alukite, by the by...

also

mandatory gay cult communism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PetraCore posted:

I wondered if the violet room was a reference to chromotherapy, aka the practice of shining colored lights on people and/or putting them in colored rooms in order to 'cure' certain things. It's a pseudoscience, but that just makes it more fitting, and, well, if you really wanted to expose someone to the healing benefits of violet, restraining them in a room with pure violet walls and no windows would do it.

Now, let's see, what is violet said to treat? Violet in chromotherapy is associated with sahasrara, the crown chakra. Violet is said to calm the nervous system, aid meditation, relax muscles, and treat psychosis. It promotes awareness and aids spiritual growth.

Now, the fun thing about chromotherapy is that it was developed after Niels Finsen discovered that UV light has anti-bacterial properties in 1877. So, he decided to see if points on the visible light spectrum could do things, too! They, uh... can't, at least not in the way he thought they did (he used red light to try and inhibit smallpox scars, for one). But I think it's interesting that chromotherapy basically is a combination of 'well, UV light does something' and 'maybe we can use the chakra system to determine what else colors do'. It's all very new age, and while practitioners will insist it goes back to ancient times, even the whole ROY G. BIV coloring of chakras is relatively recent and a new age development.

i mean purple is knock is summons is rites, and the chair has armstraps and there's upsetting flint/glass tools in a cupboard. the hospital is described as having an unnatural number of amputations performed there and that being fine because it's better than the people in question walking the streets

idk if the implication is shiny lamps

also, moth has a heavy implication of shedding the unnecessary (clothes, hair, skin, eyes, fingers, mind) in the process of change, and if you line up your lores vertically you are a psychopath

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ugh im compelled to start another goddamn game of cultist simulator!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man i do not like thinking about what the Ghoul would eat to get that remembrance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i completed another Lantern victory a few hours ago. i'm kinda interested what the speedrunning community is like considering the completely random expedition outcome is like in this game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NewMars posted:

Expeditions are no longer random in rewards. Unless you're talking about the fact that you can no longer get above a 90% chance not to screw up now.

that is the thing i'm talking about

i had people gently caress up a "fight the serpent check" four times in a row at 90%!!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh there's other uses for decrepitude, for winter ascensions :q:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheCog posted:

I bought this game based on the LP, and after like 10 hours played, I'm still not sure if I like it or not. The writing is extremely good, the themes are very much my jam, I like the gameplay in theory, but when I'm actually playing it kind of feels like a grind, and I'm just not sure what to make of this whole thing.

Are the DLCs worth buying?

dlcs do not change the core gameplay so if you don't like the game, don't get the dlcs. well, get the dlcs if you want to support the dev studio i guess

i still desperately want an Edge ascension DLC though simply so i can read about my cultist going to sleep with a codec on and going HRGN, COLONEL in their dreams

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

No, Fallen London is owned by a different company that Alexis and Lottie left to make Cultist Sim. Wouldn't be surprised if they did shout-outs though.

there's some shoutouts in sunless skies to cultist simulator, seemingly - places called Laidlaw's Coffee House, the Desolation of Saliba etc - but I figure that's due to overlapping Kickstarter rewards like 'name a place', 'name a cultist'

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more like Gordian Knock

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Regallion posted:

That raises a question: does sex provide knock influence?

maybe if you're drunk or clumsy :wmwink:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ephemeron posted:

Fortunately, a superficial Knock influence is all that is needed for most summonings. I imagine that quite a few cults incorporated sex (presumably with an emphasis on the penetrative aspect) into their rituals.

probably not many involving Longs or, well

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

right but how does that relate to Moth

also speaking of sex magic i just found out - after a stupid number of hours in this game - that pressing Tab on a stackable card will stack it on your biggest stack

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Sex energy is absolutely a Grail thing. Even Grail cultists' work for your cult is seducing strangers to imprison for sacrifice, and the Names of the Red Grail consider sexual intercourse to be a tribute to her.

it was a tongue-in-cheek glib reply to a wall of text indicating that i wasn't really reading or following it, op

e: that said i'm not doing very well at following cultist sim things lately, i just completely hosed up balancing the dances on a Dancer ascension between moth and heart

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Reveilled posted:

A final note for anyone who is very keen with the eye, who has completed the game and is thinking "Hang on, won't that--":

lol

and yeah the button on the UI was added quite recently so it makes sense the tab functionality was as well

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dancing also gets rid of dread/fascination. it's pretty handy. presumably you soothe your existential despair with interpretive dance, which i guess is a little more imaginative than doing it to get through college

also promoting cultists but that's more "hey do you wanna join a cult i found this cool secret about barbers, also im really scared"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Artificer posted:

Awwww man. Poor Cat and somewhat Eldridge. They didn't have that coming. Still, I suppose its appropriate for the genre that even in the greatest of victories there is terrible terrible loss.

Did Eldridge kill the woman who was Kate's patient at the start of the story who then became the Maid?

eldridge had it coming

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

holy poo poo lol

"sorry buddy we gotta only give you grapes"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the principle of Edge is something you need to be particularly careful with.

honestly giving him grapes in a bunch as opposed to by the individual grape would be appreciably dangerous; there is power in Division, as the Lionsmith's shattered blade taught the Colonel.

Yeah but he has form in loving up edge rituals so

I end up with bizarre grudges against cultists due to their failings over many histories. Clovette, in my games, simply cannot be relied on to disperse notoriety at essential points - that's always Leo's job

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I killed so many people on my winter run until I realized you could explore with your dedication.

absolutely the same

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

raw prophets are good slitherdogs and should be rewarded with burgers

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

edit the save so you romanced clifton instead

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cat Caro, a Shattered Risen

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it from kates point of view

"Dear diary, my idiot loving cultists kept loving up so I inflicted even more fascination on them in order to self-sabotage enormously"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh my god. As it were. I just got it while reading your post... :doh: :golfclap:

there is a Knock book about this. it was featured prominently in an update.