Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Glad you got to chill at the Palms for that, Bart. The whole place has really come up, and this is the sort of event that exemplifies that.

What red was it, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I’ll be at Starboard Tack tomorrow night slinging my sourdough Neapolitan pizzas tomorrow night for Monday Night Football! Got pizzas and stickers aplenty, come on through for good cocktails and pies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm going be in Vegas late-October to see Gaga, just by myself, and I want to do one really fancy meal the Thursday night I get into town. I'm probably going to do brunch at Bouchon one day and I'm going to eat at NoMad at some point too because it's in my hotel and i'll have a food/beverage credit there, but I went looking for the fancier places on the strip and am having trouble deciding. I don't think i'll have quite the attire for a formal place, which leaves the french places (Robuchon) out, but The Meat Bazaar and Sage caught my eye. Does anyone know if either of them are worth the price? Or have any other recommendations for a nice place a good tasting menu or some big fancy meat? (I know Jaleo is in the OP but I'll likely have an opportunity to visit the one opening in Disney Springs sooner rather than later, so if I visit an Andres place, it will be the Bazaar)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite place on the Strip these days is Best Friend, the Roy Choi Korean/Mexican place at Park MGM. Totally owns every time I've been.

Bazaar is good, but not worth it. It's all the way down at the Sahara, so far away from the rest of the strip, but when I say not worth it that's because it's even faster to go over to Paradise Road and eat at Cleaver. If I want a cut of meat in this town, I go to Cleaver (or more often Herbs and Rye, which has the same menu but is smaller.)

On another topic - Bart, I've finally become semi-regular at The Starbord Tack. I don't know why I waited so long.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's off-Strip, but for my money the best Fancy Meal place is Raku. It's like Nobu, but better quality, half the price (the highest omakase is sub-$200), and with 100% fewer Jersey Shore rejects sitting at the next table braying about how "that was the sickest sushi I've ever had, bro." Yes that is an actual thing that happened at Nobu once.

I don't do fancy on the Strip, so Wiggles's suggestions are better than I can muster. Cleaver is a pro recommendation too - catch their happy hour if you can, 50% off everything including the big fancy steaks.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On another topic - Bart, I've finally become semi-regular at The Starbord Tack. I don't know why I waited so long.

About goddamn time. I've barely started exploring their rum selection, aided by the half price pours during happy hour. I don't get up there as often as I did since Hardway 8 opened, but once hockey season is upon us I'll have to visit for some Knights games. If you haven't gotten the fish sauce wings yet, you absolutely must next time you're there. If they have it, order a pour of the Centerbe to go with it. It's a perfect pairing. (But be warned: Centerbe is 140 proof and smells like walking into a great Vietnamese restaurant located next to a dentist's office.)

General notes of the Vegas culinary world:

- CraftHaus's second taproom is now in soft open in the Arts District. It's right across the street from Esther's Kitchen. The staff is all new; the beers are the same, and they've got a crowler machine which is the best loving news ever. I've been whining at Wyndee and Dave to get one for years now. Grand opening for the taproom is on the 28th; more details to come.

- Speaking of the Arts District, Able Baker Brewing is also in hyper-soft open (basically only industry people have been as far as I know) with real opening Soon(tm). These guys have been brewing for almost a decade for festivals and stuff, but most people will know them for being allied with Ryan Reeves (of the Vegas Golden Knights) for a special beer. Which is both cool and a shame, because they do a lot more than hang out with goons.

- Speaking of CraftHaus, their anniversary party was goddamn amazing. The parking lot was full of beer booths and live bands, the taproom had two fast-moving lines for beer, and the brewery area had snacks and desserts for us VIP types. Best beers included oak-aged Lowlands Clan scotch ale; Scorpion malt liquor (the official anniversary beer, shockingly smooth at 8%); and Oaked and Artichoked, a brown ale with Cynar-soaked oak chips (herbaciously bitter and delightful). Most of those beers are off tap at the taproom(s) now, but they'll be cycled in one after another as taps open up.

- There's a new restaurant between Lamaii and Sparrow + Wolf, next to Sura: Lee's Noodles. It calls itself a "Vietnamese Chinese restaurant." I tried it and was extremely unimpressed. There were two parties (including me) in the whole restaurant and somehow the server managed to take my food to their table and bring their food to me. When I finally got the right order - bun bo Hue - it was made with the wrong broth (they used a sweet fish-based broth instead of rich beef) and had little in it besides chunks of pork blood. Now, I love pork blood, and these chunks were extremely fresh and good. But bun bo Hue is supposed to have multiple off-cuts of beef, a pig foot, etc. in it as well. This did not. I'm going to give these guys another try in six months or so, hoping they can sort things out. The banh mi I got was better than Lee's Sandwiches manages, which is a positive sign.

- Speaking of Lamaii, they have a new dish on the menu. It's ceviche. No, really, just ceviche. It's primarily shrimp, and it's tasty, and as far as I could tell indistinguishable from Bajamar or any other really good ceviche spots in town. To put it another way: it's really good, and therefore one of the weakest things on the menu. Order it if you're in the mood for it, but don't expect anything revolutionary.

- I went to Cornish Pasty Co. a couple of nights ago. It's still great and highly recommended. The oven fries are better than I remembered. Everyone's pies were delicious, as were the sides. They were having a little trouble with their re-heating system (we had to send a soup and the bacon-wrapped meatballs back because they were barely room temperature), but that was the only miscue.

- Astronomy Aleworks (in the Henderson Booze District) is releasing a helles tonight. I'll be there after work (around 4pm) and will probably hang there and at CraftHaus for the early evening.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
The Able Baker opening was loving great. I was bummed I missed CraftHaus that night as well but happy to have two new breweries in the district. Happier that I live within walking distance and the weather is cooling off!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My favorite place on the Strip these days is Best Friend, the Roy Choi Korean/Mexican place at Park MGM. Totally owns every time I've been.

Bazaar is good, but not worth it. It's all the way down at the Sahara, so far away from the rest of the strip, but when I say not worth it that's because it's even faster to go over to Paradise Road and eat at Cleaver. If I want a cut of meat in this town, I go to Cleaver (or more often Herbs and Rye, which has the same menu but is smaller.)

bartolimu posted:

It's off-Strip, but for my money the best Fancy Meal place is Raku. It's like Nobu, but better quality, half the price (the highest omakase is sub-$200), and with 100% fewer Jersey Shore rejects sitting at the next table braying about how "that was the sickest sushi I've ever had, bro." Yes that is an actual thing that happened at Nobu once.

I don't do fancy on the Strip, so Wiggles's suggestions are better than I can muster. Cleaver is a pro recommendation too - catch their happy hour if you can, 50% off everything including the big fancy steaks.

these are both awesome suggestions, thanks a bunch. I'm actually staying at the Park so Best Friend is definitely on my list, and the other two sound really awesome too. I've never been to Vegas before but i have to imagine getting from the strip to elsewhere isn't that hard.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

these are both awesome suggestions, thanks a bunch. I'm actually staying at the Park so Best Friend is definitely on my list, and the other two sound really awesome too. I've never been to Vegas before but i have to imagine getting from the strip to elsewhere isn't that hard.

All Strip hotels have taxi stands and virtually all have dedicated Uber/Lyft pickup zones too. Most things are pretty close to each other and should cost $15 or less each way, and most/all of that will be recouped as cost savings for not paying Strip prices. It only gets "expensive" if you want to head out to Henderson for the Booze District, or somewhere else more than 5 miles from the Strip.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yesterday afternoon I went to Sparrow + Wolf for a Secretburger event. It was a class, "Anything Can Be Pickled." It's part of their usual staff training regimen, but Chef Howard decided to open the trainings to the public as well.

We got about an hour of "lecture" time from Brian Howard and two of his assistants about pickling methods ranging from lacto ferments to vinegar brines and the ultimate cheat: vacuum pickling. During the talk, they brought us stuff to try: bread-and-butter carrot pickles, oil pickled skin-on kabocha squash, lacto fermented shredded apple, and garlic fermented in miso for 12 months. The garlic was revelatory - one of the most umami things I've ever tasted, assertive, but not at all rough. The bar manager also gave a nice talk about shubs (vinegar + sugar + fruit) and sampled us on a couple of cocktails. And finally, we got to make our own tiny jars of pickles using ingredients prepped by the kitchen staff, so now I have a small jar of giardiniera curing on my pickle shelf.

Class price was $45, and to me it was worth it. I didn't pick up a ton of knowledge (I'm an avid home pickler, and actually brought Chef Howard a jar of my watermelon rind kimchi to try), but the chance to taste professionally-made stuff and drink vinegar-based cocktails was a pretty great experience. Plus that miso garlic, goddamn I have to do that soon.

Further classes are planned and will probably be available on Secretburger, so if this is your sort of thing (and you can make a 1pm class on a weekday), keep an eye out.

Other current events:

- Craft Beer in the Alley is happening this Sunday. It's another offering in the Ferguson Alley series. Ticket cost is $45, on Secretburger and Eventbrite. In the next month they're also hosting kombucha, bourbon, and scotch events.
- CraftHaus Arts District (which they are abbreviating CHAD for marketing purposes I guess?) is now offering a small delivery menu from Esther's Kitchen. It's a little unhandy to order (you can call Esther's or walk across the street to their host stand), but worth the bother. The menu includes homemade sausage corn dogs, two kinds of pizza using their sourdough crust, and a sea salt chocolate chip cookie, along with a couple of veg* options I didn't try, delivered to the CHAD by Esther's staff.
- Able Baker Brewing is having their grand opening event this Fri-Sun. I went last weekend, and their extended "soft open" is indistinguishable from a place that's been open for years. The vibe is very San Diego Beer Mecca, with patio seating and an open view to the brewing area. It's a really nice space, and with luck it will be an anchor shop for the whole area (which is about a quarter mile south of Arts District proper) as it improves.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 24, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Able Baker is doing great stuff, and yep it's a great place to hang out.

BTW I'm heading to Sparrow + Wolf tomorrow night and I haven't been in a bit. What's good now?

Also Tai 2 sauerkraut fish is about to open in Chinatown and I'm super excited. It's great to see even more specialized places open up.

Also also the Sand Dollar is going to turn into the Miracle on Spring Mountain Christmas bar on Thanksgiving and I'm super excited. It's going to be like getting drunk on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 24, 2019

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The lamb tartare is must-have IMO. Hot potato is probably the best potato dish in town, and the octopus is way up there too. I like the Japanese sweet potato quite a lot. Skip the BBQ salsify.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

How was Sparrow + Wolf, Wiggles? Did you sit at a table or the bar? The bartenders are mostly great and can do some pretty cool variations on classics. And of course the cocktail list is amazing on its own.

I hit Lamaii over the weekend, and they now have a jumbo prawn on the menu. It's a single, very large shrimpy thing split lengthwise and grilled, then topped with spicy sauce and herbs. It's great if you're into eating every part of the animal - the head cavity was one of the shrimpiest things I've ever tasted, and most of the carapace gets cooked enough to be edible. If you're only into shrimp tails, the $15 price tag might seem pretty high. Also new on the menu: an eggplant appetizer that is very simply stir-fried eggplant chunks with a sweet, fish-sauce heavy coating. As someone who likes eggplant and consistently fails to cook it well at home, I'll be ordering it frequently.

Current events update:

- Atomic Liquors is doing its annual Sour Saturday this Saturday, the 9th. If you like sour beers, I strongly recommend it. They get some stuff that never comes to town otherwise - notably, Black Project. I may go, but haven't decided because it's going to be a very busy weekend for me. There are a handful of VIP tickets still available, along with GA, here.
- CraftHaus Brewery is having their fourth annual Mac & Cheese Smackdown on the 17th. This is a great time for everyone involved. Competitors get to talk poo poo and feed people; everyone else gets to eat a ton of great mac and cheese, and vote for the crowd favorite. As an additional saucy bonus, the winner of the Judges' Trophy will have their mac and cheese recipe picked up by Esther's Kitchen, to be offered on the CraftHaus Arts District delivery menu. Oh, and I'll be competing. So y'all should definitely plan to show up and vote for me. Event times, signups if you feel like challenging my culinary supremacy, etc. here.
- Pour in the Alley has Kombucha on the 23rd, Whiskey and Bourbon on the 30th, and Scotch on December 14th. I'm very likely to attend the latter two.
- Beloved local sandwich chain Capriotti's is hopping on the Impossible Meat train with an Impossible Cheesesteak. Preview is on the 9th, tickets on Secretburger. Personally, I'll stick with the Capastrami.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ah, I never posted! It was lovely at Sparrow + Wolf. We ended up ordering too much (we were at a table) buy we took home the extras. Meal included:

Cheese and charcuterie with the most amazing pickles.
The bread.
Charred romanesco
Hot potato
The octopus
Some crazy fois gras creation that tanked me out.

Also I fell in love with the "Jura fine girl". What a great place.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Also coming up is the Las Vegas Pizza Festival on Nov16 - vegaspizzafest.com

Amped for the sour beer fest on Saturday, it’s my girlfriend’s birthday and we love sours so it’s gonna be a fun afternoon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just grabbed our tickets for Repeal Day at the Mob Museum this year. We opted not to have the dinner at Oscar's because, while good, Oscar's would be too much damned food before trying to enjoy the party. We learned our lesson last year.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Looks like I'm at the Luxor this weekend for an impulsive zero-planning Vegas trip. I've got shows Thursday at 7 and Friday at 930 and a res at Lotus of Siam for dinner Saturday, anyone have other suggestions that won't throw me out for wearing jeans?

Also if you have bakery recommendations in reasonable distance I will hunt them down, I am dying for good pastries that aren't over-froufed cupcake nonsense.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite patisserie is on West Sahara at Valley View, called Delices Gourmands. If you have a car it's no big deal, and as a locals place its craaaaazy cheap and unpretentious while still having better quality than anything on the strip. However, if you're tied to the strip or don't have transport, the best bakery you'll find is Bouchon Bakery in the Grand Canal Shoppes at Venetian.

For Friday dinner, I suggest Cleaver for the best steak in town (get a res probably though if it's just a couple of you the bar is open seating) or Raku for truly amazing Japanese (definitely a res if you can get one). If you want to spend less money and be super casual, the best tacos in town are at Tacos El Gordo. The Charleston location is the best but impossible to eat at because its too crowded, so go to the one on the strip near the Sahara.

Or if you just want to be really old Vegas style and eat at a place where you're not sure if you're on drugs or its just the vibe, check out the Peppermill.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think I'll probably make the trip out to Delices Gourmands even if it's a bit out of the way. The pictures of their bakery case look so much like my old pastry stuff that it's making me nostalgic. Thanks!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just grabbed our tickets for Repeal Day at the Mob Museum this year. We opted not to have the dinner at Oscar's because, while good, Oscar's would be too much damned food before trying to enjoy the party. We learned our lesson last year.

I'm not sure I'll go this year. It's a great event, but the Mob Museum is part of a couple different Downtown groups that are promoting a punitive anti-homeless law, so I'm inclined to boycott them. Also (possibly related) the director of the museum is a huge dick and I don't like the idea of funding his salary. But I dunno. It was super fun, and I'm relatively certain I ate/drank more than the ticket cost last year.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The cocktail menu at Cleaver may have ended me, but what a worthy way to go. Beautiful recommendation Wiggles, thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's Nevada living, LC! Glad you like it!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

At first I thought it was odd that they discounted mains on happy hour and not cocktails.

I get it now. drat good.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I hope y'all survived New Years without too much trouble. I've been sort of laying low and cooking at home for a while now (thanks Christmas debt!), but there are new things and news things to talk about.

- Garagiste Wine Room opened in late November. It's in the Arts District, next to CraftHaus, across from Esther's Kitchen. Their wine list is heavy on quirky, interesting stuff, and they've jumped hard on the natural wine train. I'm not a fan of natural wine cultists, but the Garagiste staff is un-snooty and accommodating. They have some unusual ciders (including one or two Basque models) and beers on hand as well. They're a very good stop, and the pricing is reasonable - strongly recommended.

- I ran into Justin Kingsley Hall (formerly head of Kitchen at Atomic, chef de cuisine at Sparrow & Wolf before that) in early December. He's aiming for a late January/early February opening for Main Street Provisions. Build-out is going well, and the menu is mostly set. I plan to be there day 1 of soft open. Justin is a goddamn wizard of pig fat, and drat good at a lot of other things as well.

- CraftHaus has announced their fifth annual Comrade Day, February 1st. Comrade is their yearly imperial Russian stout release. It's a drat fine beer, and they generally have 4-5 variations to enjoy as well. On Comrade Day only, fans can bring in half-growlers from previous years to be filled - aside from that day, it's taproom only. This year they're not producing a new half-growler; instead, they're pre-filling crowlers to help streamline beer-getting for patrons. Regulars can still bring in old glassware to fill, however. This is not a ticketed event - it's just show up, drink beer, socialize. Typically they open the brewery space for additional seating. I'd expect a food truck or three to show up as well.

- On Wednesday, I was in Chinatown and finally indulged an obsession I've been harboring for a few months: Myungrang Hot Dog. They're located in Shanghai Plaza, just east of Arville on the north side of Spring Mountain. It's a Korean chain that makes street food-style corn dogs. Why was I obsessed with them? Four words: Squid Ink Corn Dog.

It's high-quality hot dog (all-beef I'd guess from the taste), topped with a chunk of mozzarella cheese and dunked in batter, then fried. The squid ink is in the batter only, and doesn't contribute much to the flavor - but the color contrast speaks for itself. This was definitely the best corn dog I've ever had. I'll be back. Maybe next time they'll actually have the spicy rice cake side dish; they were out of it at 5pm on a Wednesday, which seems kind of silly. Note for vegetarians: they do some sausage-free stuff covered with batter, so there are some options here if you don't mind it being in the same fryer oil. Everything on the menu is under $5, so this is a great inexpensive snack option in Chinatown.

- Allan Harrison, head brewer of Astronomy Aleworks, is going to open a side project bar on the second floor of Three Sheets some time soon. He'll be essentially gypsy brewing at his own brewery, using the Mad Fermentationist brand. He's got logoed glassware and other swag planned. Since the licensing is handled mostly through Three Sheets, he's planning a quick open - possibly some time in February. Allan's a great brewer and a pretty cool guy to chat with (especially about music, he's an old heavy metal guitarist), so I'm hopeful this project will work out well.

- Bad news for those excited for Rose Signor's (formerly manager of Atomic) planned tap room and bottle shop in the Arts District: it's been delayed, maybe indefinitely. Problems with the building, from what I understand. Rose and her business partner Andrew are picking up shifts at Hardway 8 in the meantime, classing up the cocktail menu and training new staff in the arts of cocktailing and pint pouring.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Glad you tried the crazy corndog place. That's near my office so I've been able to go a few times.

Also nice to hear that Three Sheets is doing something upstairs. I play trivia there sometimes and that space is, like, beckoning for something cool.

New stuff for me: I've finally been to Hatsumi a couple of times and.....I don't see what the hype is about. The sake list is good but not amazing, some of the menu items are pretty alright but I can think of 2 better izakayas in town and a better one in Reno so meh.

The Front Yard at Ellis Island is going to be awesome in the summer. They're still sighting in their menu a bit as far as portions, and the Ellis island staff cannot at all figure out service beyond Village Pub level, but the food is good.

Mayfair supper club is hilarious and awesome if you want to wear a nice suit and eat a hoitu toity dinner at strip prices. Cocktails are good. Food competent, especially if you are a lobster thermidor fan like me. But 9 times out of 10 I'm still going to choose Cleaver.

Ramen Shibire is the hot poo poo new ramen joint of the month. Still not as good as fukumimi.

Starboard tack still doesn't have centerbe.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Starboard tack still doesn't have centerbe.

That's a paddlin' next time I see Bryant.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Good thread. Girlfriend and I went to Raku and had the omakase and it was great. Excellent tofu, great sashimi, just a lot of tasty stuff. We also went to the curry place in the same plaza and that was good too.

We also ended up at the Wynn buffet for brunch and that was good in an insane buffet kind of way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm a big dumb idiot who hasn't checked into this thread since I went to vegas but the combination of Raku, Cleaver and Bouchon was pretty much perfect.

The fois gras with rice at Raku was probably one of the single best things i've ever eaten. just so perfectly balanced. i got an extra skewer of the pork after the omakase too, it was all so so good.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm a big dumb idiot who hasn't checked into this thread since I went to vegas but the combination of Raku, Cleaver and Bouchon was pretty much perfect.

The fois gras with rice at Raku was probably one of the single best things i've ever eaten. just so perfectly balanced. i got an extra skewer of the pork after the omakase too, it was all so so good.

I'm glad you enjoyed everything. This town is getting pretty awesome for food in general, but Raku is still one of the best.

I've been trying out Ethiopian restaurants lately, hoping to find some best-ofs to recommend since it's a delightful cuisine not enough people know about. The food is delicious, and in most places the veggie dishes are fully vegan, so it's the perfect food to enjoy with veg*ans who aren't into eating potato chips and candy all the time.

Last night I went blind to a place Google calls Gir Giro, on Decatur just north of Spring Mountain. They recently changed their name to Zee's, after the owner, but the internets haven't caught up yet. It's a small bakery/cafe with about six tables in the front (including one al fresco which I imagine gets used about twice a year). Their menu is a little more diverse than some of the mom-and-pop spots I've tried; along with the ubiquitous mesir wat, gomen, tibs, etc., they offer the harder to find kitfo and gored gored. Unfortunately, I was there on a Wednesday, so they weren't serving "fresh meat." (It's a religious thing - Wednesdays, Fridays, and all of Lent are meat-free "fasting days" in Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity.)

Seeing my disappointment at missing out on kitfo, Zee was nice enough to offer me some beef tibs, and I accepted even though I LOVE Ethiopian veggie dishes. I got a generous portion of the main dish, along with a big scoop of some of the best mesir wat I've ever had - rich, smooth, and perfectly seasoned. The house-made injera was special, too: more tender and assertively sour, perfect with both parts of the meal.

The food was great. The "Ethiopian spiced tea" I ordered with the meal was great. The price (just over $20 for a very big meal) was great. The three Ethiopian dudes talking and laughing as they drank their coffee at the next table were great. After my meal I talked with Zee briefly, and he mentioned plans to make his place a little more approachable for people unfamiliar with Ethiopian food. He's bought a buffet service table, and starting in a couple of weeks he's going to offer food "like Panda, but Ethiopian," so people can see what they're ordering. With a lot of cuisines this would worry me, because holding trays aren't a great place for a lot of foods. But stewy Ethiopian classics should for the most part work fine - and if it gets more people comfortable enough to walk in and order, it's a fantastic idea.

So, locals, check out Zee's Ethiopian. But take some friends - this food is better when shared, whether you order from a menu or wait for the "safe" cafeteria-style serving. I don't know if Zee's will end up on my shortlist (and therefore on the goonmap), but they're definitely high on my list so far.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pro recommend, Bart. All of Little Ethiopia (yes, we have a Little Ethiopia now) is showing lots of promise. Great food and awesome people.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wiggles, if you have any favorite Ethiopian spots I'd love to hear them. I'm flying blind right now, which is fun but I'm sure others would enjoy another perspective as well.

Speaking of perspective, sometimes marketing derails an otherwise promising restaurant. A taqueria in Chinatown is a fine idea; I have it on good authority the truck across from Chinatown Plaza is one of the best Mexican places in town. Speakeasies are still cool and neat and all, and making one based around agave spirits is novel for this town. But what the gently caress are the marketing drones doing?

quote:

specialty dishes such as the Goin’ in Deep with ground beef pico, white cheddar, and jalapeno, all Injected with nacho cheese and sour cream in an empanada shell; the Pullin’ Out with pulled pork, beans, and kimchi on a Hawaiian roll taco shell; and the Fresh Prince with steak, peppers, white cheddar, mushrooms, and onions in a puff tortilla.

The parlor with the secret bar opens at 4 p.m. with house margaritas on tap, and specialty drinks such as Sweet Melons Dude with mezcal, honeydew juice, and Meyer lemon juice; Milk Money with Reposado Tequila, almond milk horchata, honey, and coconut cream; and the Facial with gin, chareau liqueur, cucumber, agave, mint, and lemon juice.

What twelve year old did they consult for those food and drink names? Who thought the worst part of Hawaiian food was the best thing to use in a fusion dish? Who was clamoring for a Will Smith reference in a cheesesteak taco? Why does every one of those agave spirit drinks sound like they don't want to taste the agave?

I rarely get angry at a restaurant before walking in the door. The last time was F Pigale, the execrable and thankfully short-lived fondue restaurant Downtown. But I kind of hate these guys for being frat bro douches and swaggering into Chinatown to make oh-so-clever dick jokes and dickish food.

...I'll still probably check them out. But my expectations are low.

In more interesting culinary (fe: actually, drinky) news:

- CraftHaus Brewery is doing Comrade Day, the annual release of their Imperial Russian Stout, on February 1st. They'll have 9 variations on draft, plus crowlers (that's a growler-sized can) to go of the base beer, food, and probably some other fun stuff. This is a day of major debauchery and I strongly recommend it.

- Sake in the Alley, the newest Ferguson's event, is happening tomorrow. Tickets are still on sale through Eventbrite.

- Banger Brewing's 6th anniversary party is also happening tomorrow, and it's in walking distance of Sake in the Alley. I don't recommend doing both, but it's technically possible.

- Beer Zombies Festival, probably the best general beer fest in Vegas, is on February 29th at Skinny Fats.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Bart, have you found anyone doing take away cocktails? All the good places in Reno are, but all my favorite spots here (herbs, starboard, etc) seem to be closed closed closed.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bart, have you found anyone doing take away cocktails? All the good places in Reno are, but all my favorite spots here (herbs, starboard, etc) seem to be closed closed closed.

The problem is with municipalities. Las Vegas is allowing alcohol delivery from liquor stores but not restaurants as far as I know (but I haven't checked yet today). Henderson hasn't even allowed delivery from liquor stores yet, which is loving dumb but here we are. Clark County is, I think, allowing both, but most cocktail places are in Paradise which is a separate municipality mostly dominated by Strip interests. So, probably not a ton of interest in letting the little guys deliver. That's my understanding of the situation, anyhow.

There is hope, though. Many breweries are doing pickup.

CraftHaus is doing curbside pickup of cans and (new olnly) growlers at their Henderson location Thursday through Sunday. They were authorized by the city to do pickups in the Arts District as well, but stopped offering that last week without a word. Strangely, Garagiste (which is right next door to CHAD) announced today they're doing wine pickup AND delivery, so I'm not sure why CHAD stopped doing pickup.

Astronomy Aleworks is doing curbside growler fills (new glass only,), and Vegas Valley Winery is selling curbside Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, with 10% off for orders of six or more bottles and a free dessert with every order.

Bad Beat is doing growler refills and can sales, but they're announcing hours every day. They're also on my poo poo list again, but that's a social thing that has nothing to do with their mostly quite good products.

Tenaya Creek is doing growler fills, though I'm not sure if they're taking refills or requiring a new purchase.

There are probably some others as well, but those are the ones I'm aware of from the Vegas beer scene people I talk to.

Let's talk about restaurants and other food-related businesses that are trying to stay alive through this, maybe we can preserve one or two of them.

Valley Cheese and Wine is open every day, doing curbside pickup for wine, cheese, and charcuterie. Order through their website (weirdly it's changed to valleycheeseandwine.org) or call them.

Esther's Kitchen isn't open, but they're baking their exceptional sourdough some days. It's a small number and the only way to find out is watch James Trees's personal Facebook page (content warning: some politics) and he'll announce it a couple of hours before the loaves are ready.

I know some of the pizza places are doing everything they can, but I don't know who's doing what very well. Maybe ogopogo can give us an update?

Hardway 8 is offering delivery and take-out. Every order made directly through them (instead of GrubHub et al.) gets a free roll of toilet paper or small bottle of hand sanitizer. Get the nachos, they're loving outstanding and could serve 2-3 easily. Their sister bar/restaurant, Starboard Tack, remains closed until at least April 18th.

Post anything else y'all know about. This thread won't be for tourists for a while, but maybe we can all eat better while staying safe.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
I know ReBar and Able Baker just got the go ahead for curbside liquor/drinks/beer pickup.

As far as pizzas go, I know for sure John Arena and Chris Decker are still doing their thing at the Metro Pizza’s around town, and Vincent at Good Pie is doing a couple nights of pizza and family dinner curbside pickups as well. I’m also offering curbside pizza pickup as well, I’m a super small one man band operation and slinging pies every Tuesday now, pre-orders are every Friday - yukonpizza.com / @yukonpizza on IG.

Hope everyone is hanging in there and making the most of quarantine <3

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This couldn't be more precisely in my wheelhouse, and as promotions go it's a pretty good idea:

CraftHaus posted:

Our friend, Chef Justin Kingsley Hall has created a special for you this weekend. He slow simmered heirloom beans in pork, molasses and Belgard, Coffee Stout. The special offers four, 8oz servings (total 32oz) of luscious, smokey, sexy baked beans and a six pack of Belgard, Coffee Stout. Limited number of specials. Pick up Henderson Taproom Fri-Sun Noon-4pm. Order online https://crafthausbrewery.com/shop

Too many adjectives aside, Justin is a wizard of pork and I expect those beans to be among the best ever produced. If you need a side dish and some beer, I doubt you could do better than this.

Khoury's Fine Wine and Spirits is doing a Czech natural wine deal.

quote:

Three bottles of @milannestarec youngsters wines for only $80! Youngster is Milan’s “nouveau” style wines. Made using organic grapes, indigenous yeast, and zero sulfites added. As chuggable and fun as you can get!

Email us at contactus@khourysfinewine.com or go to http://www.khourysfinewine.com/request/ to place your order. Please include name and contact number. Limited supply

🍷Youngster Rose -“A stunning rosé with great hibiscus and cranberry notes. The youngster line are Nestarec’s nouveau style wines, released fresh and young within the small year of the harvest.”

🍷Youngster Red -“A foresty and hearty red released with all its youthful fruity and herbal notes. The youngster line are Nestarec’s nouveau style wines, released fresh and young within the small year of the harvest. The grapes used are more tannic and heavy than those the Gamay of Beaujolais for example, so this is a more structured and larger wine than other nouveaux “

🍷Youngster White -“A citrus, floral and lightly tropical white from a natural wine wunderkind in Moravia. The youngster line are Nestarec’s nouveau style wines, released fresh and young within the small year of the harvest.”

Delivery fees do apply. No delivery charge for any orders over $150

I'm not 100% sold on the natural wine movement, but there are some pretty interesting ones. I'm particularly fond of Czech wines (I've spent a good deal of time in the area these were produced) and will probably pick them up for old time's sake. Khoury's is also offering a mixed four-pack of Modern Times beers for $15, if that's more your speed. Their liquor selection is also well-curated, and the staff is typically pretty knowledgeable.

Lee's Discount Liquors is still delivering to Las Vegas and Mesquite; Henderson is still dragging its feet on delivery policy.

Why yes I am paying more attention than usual to alcohol sources, why do you ask?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sooooo, Lee's liquor will deliver to my house. And their prices are really dumb on beer right now. Not only did I pick up a bunch of random Belgian beers for $2/bottle, but Myanmar lager (not great, but nice when it's hot out) is going for $3.29 for a 12 pack.

Thank goodness.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, some places are starting to reopen. Whether it's a good idea or not is a matter of who you're listening to (I happen to think it's not). But here we are. Plans I know of:

For breweries:
- Able Baker has increased the distance between their tables and is open for normal business hours.
- CraftHaus plans to open both taprooms (with outdoor seating at both, at least until someone official tells them they can't) on Friday the 15th. Curbside and to-go will both be maintained for those who prefer them. The Henderson taproom is getting a fancy new bar top; sadly, nobody will be allowed to sit at it.
- As for the rest of the Henderson Booze District, Astronomy is still doing curbside pickup only, and they're new-growler-only. Bad Beat hasn't announced any plans to change from curbside-only either. Las Vegas Distillery has been producing hand sanitizer instead of booze, and from what I hear they'll be continuing that for a while yet. Vegas Valley Winery does curbside (growlers of cider as well as bottles of wine) on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday with no public plans to open.
- Big Dog's Brewing posted on the 9th saying to stay tuned for reopening information "next week." Tenaya Creek remains curbside only.
- Mojave Brewing remains closed; they posted on the 9th saying to look for an update "any day now." I suspect, as the newest place in town, they're waiting to see how other breweries handle things...
- ...including their neighbors Lovelady , who are supposed to announce an opening time this week.

On the opposite of opening news, Joseph James Brewing announced they're closing "indefinitely." This is, from everything my industry contacts tell me, a permanent closing. Unfortunately they've been fully owned by an investment firm out of Colorado for years, and investment firms aren't big on weathering a storm when they can just sell off equipment and divest. I haven't heard if any of the crew is being picked up by other breweries, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are a couple of very talented brewers up for grabs now.

Restaurants:

Carson Kitchen hasn't announced any definitive plans, but I know they're reopening soon. One of their executive chefs was in Atlanta last week helping that location reopen, and flew back to town this weekend to start the same procedure here. Soon(tm), I'd guess.

Esther's Kitchen posted the following on Facebook:

quote:

Ok Everyone: let's make this official! We will begin the reopening process this Friday at 5 p.m. This will be a gradual process! Here is the specific plan:

5/15-17: Dinner resumes, 5-11 p.m.

5/20-5/24: Dinner service, 5-11 p.m.

5/29: Dinner returns to seven-day schedule, 5-11 p.m.

5/30-31 Weekend Brunch resumes, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

6/1: Weekday Lunch resumes, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

We will be accepting reservations starting tomorrow via phone and our website.

Customers will be asked to respect all State and Health Department protocols. These are not our rules, they are everyone's. Thank you! We are excited to serve you again.

Sparrow + Wolf has confirmed will reopen in June, and not before.

Lamaii is open 11am-midnight daily, reservation required. They offer delivery (in a small radius) and curbside pickup as well. Last month's special of 30% off all wines seems to still be going on, which is neat.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 12, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shame about Joseph James, but I knew we'd lose at least one or two breweries.

We're not going to go out anywhere until we get to Phase III at least and the emergency order is lifted.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, it's begun. Three restaurants announcing permanent closures due to COVID-related losses.

Brio in Tivoli Village is one; its parent company declared bankruptcy. Hamptons and Ben’Zaa (same restaurant group) are also permanently closing. Of those, I'd only been to Brio, and only once to pick up some catered stuff for a friend's wedding reception. But I doubt these are the last closures.

On a more hopeful note, Settebello's Henderson will be opening for dine-in starting today, reservation only.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No great loss, but sweet tomatoes (as well as all sweet tomatoes and souplantation locations) are gone for good, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

On a more hopeful note, Settebello's Henderson will be opening for dine-in starting today, reservation only.

It's good to see them working away at the oven again via their Instagram!
To that end, I'm still slinging curbside pickup pizzas every Tuesday, with a pre-order day on the previous Friday.
Menu goes lives 5pm @ yukonpizza.com - 123 year old sourdough neo-Neapolitan style pizzas!
I've added some staff and we're expanding the options slowly. Currently offering Margherita's and Pepperoni pies, w/ options: calabrian chili flake, ricotta whipped w/ pesto and lemon zest, and pickled red onions. I'm hoping to add a specialty pie of the week as soon as we lock down our local farmer for some weekly goodies. Been selling out about 40 pizzas every Tuesday, which has been a really awesome response from the community and people who haven't had a chance to try my pizza before. With my guy now at the table making way better pizzas than my hands could ever do and me working the oven, we're looking to do about 50-60 pizzas a night.
Hope y'all have been staying safe, staying inside, and staying sane - to some degree. We've been putting away a lot of cocktails and getting good at backyard darts.