Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What part of the city are you in? A friend of mine just moved to Vegas in the middle of this and would love to send him your way, but not sure if you're close enough for that to make sense. I checked the website but didn't see any location info that might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Carillon posted:

What part of the city are you in? A friend of mine just moved to Vegas in the middle of this and would love to send him your way, but not sure if you're close enough for that to make sense. I checked the website but didn't see any location info that might help.

I’m right downtown, near the Arts District. And thank you for pointing at the lack of that info - we’re tryna improve every week the whole process so these notes help a ton. We’re also looking at doing a delivery day as well for customers who don’t want to drive all the way downtown.

Our Instagram @yukonpizza will have all the notices and updates as we do pre-orders and such.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ogopogo posted:

I’m right downtown, near the Arts District. And thank you for pointing at the lack of that info - we’re tryna improve every week the whole process so these notes help a ton. We’re also looking at doing a delivery day as well for customers who don’t want to drive all the way downtown.

Our Instagram @yukonpizza will have all the notices and updates as we do pre-orders and such.

What parts of the process are you trying to improve? I worked in/managed different units in the hospitality industry for years, happy to help/offer advice/take a look at your site and marketing materials, whatever.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

So. This thread needs an update. Vaccines are rolling out to high-priority populations and will be widely available in a matter of months. The comeback is, we can hope, real (and in part subsidized by our administrations' willingness to stay open despite being a superspreader destination, but let's not litigate that here). Our restaurant scene has proven more resilient than I'd feared, to my great relief. We've had a few new openings as well. I'll highlight what I'm aware of. Other Vegas folks, please do the same. I'll update the restaurant list in the second post as much as I can.

James Trees, chef of Esther's Kitchen, decided to open three new spots (sorta) during the pandemic. It's so crazy it might just work. For those disinclined to read, the restaurants are:
- Al Solito Posto in Tivoli Village, a.k.a. Narnia for us Hendersonites. Regular Italian (minestrone, chicken/eggplant parm, etc.) upscaled, Given Trees's amazing pasta talents I have little doubt it'll be amazing.
- A re-thought Ada's, also in Tivoli Village, going toward a small plate/wine bar vibe. Confirmed menu: salmon rilletes served with Esther's signature sourdough. Crazily, the article says "every employee on the floor will be at least a level two sommelier."
- Some form of market thing in the Arts District, near Esther's Kitchen, opening around Valentine's Day. They'll sell pasta kits, bread, wine, etc. Seems like a neat idea. I've seen similar things in California, though the one I know best was forced to close early in the pandemic.

Other amazing superstar chef Justin Kingsley Hall opened Main Street Provisions just north of Velveteen Rabbit. This will be the first place I go once I'm fully vaxxed. The menu is game meats, BBQ, and some extraordinary vegetable options.

For Henderson locals, the (imo) most exciting development on Water Street is the opening of Fratelli's Pizza Kitchen. Owned by the same family as UNLV-adjacent favorite Cugino's, they've got the same New York style pizza, hot and cold subs, and a few other specialties on offer. Unlike Cugino's, they don't have a deli counter or much in the way of specialty grocery items. But the white clam pizza is the best in town, and the Donnie's Special sub - a fantastic combo of fresh house-made mozz, roasted red pepper, fried chicken cutlet, and balsamic vinaigrette - remains one of my favorite lunches ever.

The long-awaited opening of The Silver Stamp, by former Atomic manager Rose Signor, is planned for "early 2021." From what my sources tell me, the aesthetic will be classic dive bar, with a menu mostly to match.

Downtown, next to Ferguson's, Vegas Test Kitchen is set up as a space for rotating restaurant concepts and one-off dinners. Among the current participants is thread regular ogopogo's Yukon Pizza. They seem to be running a lot of secretmenu deals as well at the moment. We'll see if that continues as things (hopefully) return to normal.

Since I haven't been out in nine months, I haven't been talking to my usual information sources. Hopefully the industry folks who hang out here can give us some more updates.

e: I either never mentioned it for forgot to change the second post, so: Valley Cheese and Wine has sold a second time. The new proprietor, Diana, is a Certified Cheese Professional and overall badass of dairy. The wine shelves are maintained by a team of her on-staff somm and previous owner Solene; it leans a little more to the French/budget categories than it did under the original ownership, but there's still plenty to love. They've put in taps for beer and wine, and you can order cheese plates to eat there if you're inclined to have a snack. They also do outstanding cheese/meat/etc. trays for parties, just like always.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 1, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Uh basically what I'm looking forward to is Wolf Down opening in Chinatown, so I can get my doner kebab fix in without having to go to Neonopolis (and the one at Neonopolis sucks anyway). My wife and I will have our second vaccines in a week or so, so I'm looking forward to checking out Robata En finally as well as Din Tai Fung at Aria.

There's also super cool stuff going on at Area 15 that I've been able to check out during the off hours, but I really want to hang there at night when people are around.

There's a drive-through Korean dumpling place called Cupbop next to UNLV now. It's overpriced and of middling quality. Don't bother.

Vickie's Diner got "removed" from it's long term location in the old White Cross on Las Vegas Boulevard so that the building can be demolished. While this is sad, Vickie's is re-opening in Commercial Center close by to the original Lotus of Siam. This is good news if you like diner food, and once they re-open they will again be the only place in town I can get fried trout and eggs for breakfast.

Also it's been so drat long since I could just walk in to Herbs and Rye for a steak and a cocktail. So drat long.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

So. This thread needs an update. Vaccines are rolling out to high-priority populations and will be widely available in a matter of months. The comeback is, we can hope, real (and in part subsidized by our administrations' willingness to stay open despite being a superspreader destination, but let's not litigate that here). Our restaurant scene has proven more resilient than I'd feared, to my great relief. We've had a few new openings as well. I'll highlight what I'm aware of. Other Vegas folks, please do the same. I'll update the restaurant list in the second post as much as I can.

James Trees, chef of Esther's Kitchen, decided to open three new spots (sorta) during the pandemic. It's so crazy it might just work. For those disinclined to read, the restaurants are:
- Al Solito Posto in Tivoli Village, a.k.a. Narnia for us Hendersonites. Regular Italian (minestrone, chicken/eggplant parm, etc.) upscaled, Given Trees's amazing pasta talents I have little doubt it'll be amazing.
- A re-thought Ada's, also in Tivoli Village, going toward a small plate/wine bar vibe. Confirmed menu: salmon rilletes served with Esther's signature sourdough. Crazily, the article says "every employee on the floor will be at least a level two sommelier."
- Some form of market thing in the Arts District, near Esther's Kitchen, opening around Valentine's Day. They'll sell pasta kits, bread, wine, etc. Seems like a neat idea. I've seen similar things in California, though the one I know best was forced to close early in the pandemic.

Other amazing superstar chef Justin Kingsley Hall opened Main Street Provisions just north of Velveteen Rabbit. This will be the first place I go once I'm fully vaxxed. The menu is game meats, BBQ, and some extraordinary vegetable options.

For Henderson locals, the (imo) most exciting development on Water Street is the opening of Fratelli's Pizza Kitchen. Owned by the same family as UNLV-adjacent favorite Cugino's, they've got the same New York style pizza, hot and cold subs, and a few other specialties on offer. Unlike Cugino's, they don't have a deli counter or much in the way of specialty grocery items. But the white clam pizza is the best in town, and the Donnie's Special sub - a fantastic combo of fresh house-made mozz, roasted red pepper, fried chicken cutlet, and balsamic vinaigrette - remains one of my favorite lunches ever.

The long-awaited opening of The Silver Stamp, by former Atomic manager Rose Signor, is planned for "early 2021." From what my sources tell me, the aesthetic will be classic dive bar, with a menu mostly to match.

Downtown, next to Ferguson's, Vegas Test Kitchen is set up as a space for rotating restaurant concepts and one-off dinners. Among the current participants is thread regular ogopogo's Yukon Pizza. They seem to be running a lot of secretmenu deals as well at the moment. We'll see if that continues as things (hopefully) return to normal.

Since I haven't been out in nine months, I haven't been talking to my usual information sources. Hopefully the industry folks who hang out here can give us some more updates.

e: I either never mentioned it for forgot to change the second post, so: Valley Cheese and Wine has sold a second time. The new proprietor, Diana, is a Certified Cheese Professional and overall badass of dairy. The wine shelves are maintained by a team of her on-staff somm and previous owner Solene; it leans a little more to the French/budget categories than it did under the original ownership, but there's still plenty to love. They've put in taps for beer and wine, and you can order cheese plates to eat there if you're inclined to have a snack. They also do outstanding cheese/meat/etc. trays for parties, just like always.

Thank you for the shoutout! It's been busy from day 1 and the space is finally settling into a good rhythm and groove. The Test Kitchen is a weird sort-of high end food court featuring 6 different chef's/concepts, some of whom will rotate out more often than others depending on their next move is. Everything is done via web menu ordering, so it's completely cashless and you can order from each concept under one ticket.
Every day is a battle fighting the sushi chefs, the ramen chef, the banh mi mama, and the Bulgarians all trying to feed each other food without having to reorder bigger pants in a few weeks. We plan on being there for a while, the pizza concept is solid and does well there, and we're off the hot-line completely and out of the way of everyone so easy to operate without being the way. We have some low key plans in play for a space very close by but it's just prelim talks right now. I'm outside by the wood fired oven every day firing off the pizzas, whenever y'all feel up to visiting come say hello!
Pretty much all the chefs from Bart's post come and hang at the Test Kitchen, not uncommon to see James Trees and Justin Hall and a few others hanging in the mornings there, good place to sit on patio in the sun with a bottle of wine and a friend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What in the world are we going to do about Salt Bae?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I continue to be jealous of your restaurant scene.

My city is curling up and dying under the weight of COVID, and we're almost last in the nation in vaccination. I'm an 'essential worker' and am probably looking at like August to get stuck.

Once travel is a thing again, I'm going to go back to Vegas for a week and try to kill myself via good food and cheap drinks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I continue to be jealous of your restaurant scene.

My city is curling up and dying under the weight of COVID, and we're almost last in the nation in vaccination. I'm an 'essential worker' and am probably looking at like August to get stuck.

Once travel is a thing again, I'm going to go back to Vegas for a week and try to kill myself via good food and cheap drinks.

When you come, post about it here. We can do a post -covid food coma celebration.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thanks to my employer and Nevada's surprisingly decent vaccine rollout, I've gotten both shots and am able to go out with vaccinated friends. I can't adequately express what I felt when I sat down with a buddy at the Esther's bar for brunch, but holy poo poo was it good to be back. My trips have been limited to the Arts District so far (fewer tourists, fewer people in general), but don't worry ogopogo - Yukon Pizza is calling my name. A trip up to check out Vegas Test Kitchen will happen some time soon.

Jammyland is open as of March 4th, with lots of seating on their patio and a few indoor tables as well. No bar seating just yet, sadly. Judging from my brief visit, the cocktail program and beef patties are both as good as ever. I had the 15 Mile Limit, a hot mezcal cocktail with Abuelita chocolate ("the real thing!" the menu says), Ancho Reyes, and Jelinek Fernet. Garnished with a marshmallow set aflame tableside. It's smoky agave-y hot chocolate and I loved it. Hours currently are Thursday-Sunday 4-midnight.

The wait to visit Main Street Provisions was excruciating, but I've now been there for dinner twice. The food is fantastic - new American with a country accent, very much Justin Hall's food if you're familiar. Highlights: venison tataki; scotch duck egg; charred sweet potato with BBQ beets. Their cocktail program is pretty limited and I wouldn't make them a drinking destination, but they've got enough variety to have something interesting with/after dinner.

The highlight of my trips to the Arts District, though, was the long-awaited Silver Stamp. It's my new favorite bar in town. It's got the feel of an old, comfy neighborhood bar, with a diverse and interesting beer list. Their amaro collection is outstanding too, and Andrew and Rose are working on some amaro cocktails. They're not licensed for anything over 20% abv, but don't let that deter you from trying whatever they come up with. And if that's not enough, among their can/bottle collection you'll find a stellar Basque cider (in cans, weirdly, but still great) and some other interesting stuff. Bar snacks include some extremely good pickled eggs served in an antique-style glass chicken dish, two for $5. I'm not sure I can come within five miles of Silver Stamp without feeling obligated to show up, sit down at the bar, and just vegetate for a while. They nailed it.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Loved reading your adventures back out into the world, Bart. I get my shot on Tuesday and I'm excited to check out The Silver Stamp and finally go sit down at Main St. Provisions for a meal. The weather is finally turning for the better, despite the winds best efforts. Patio time at the Vegas Test Kitchen is pretty great when the sun is out and the wine is cold. We'll be there whenever y'all make it!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yukon Pizza status:

legit AF

Neapolitan Pepperoni with pickled onions. Extremely good,. and very quickly prepared. I don't get up around DTLV much anymore but Test Kitchen will be high on my list when I do.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Yukon Pizza status:

legit AF

Neapolitan Pepperoni with pickled onions. Extremely good,. and very quickly prepared. I don't get up around DTLV much anymore but Test Kitchen will be high on my list when I do.

Oh poo poo, that was you! Glad you enjoyed the pizza and the Test Kitchen. Pickled red onions are one of my fav toppings, good call.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah. I was a bit hungover (Justin's whiskey dinner plus Silver Stamp will do that, apparently) and didn't feel like bothering you at the start of lunch rush, but that was me. The salad was drat good too, and very generous.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Goons, I embarrassed to say that I was just introduced to the Fremont Street Market. I haven't ever had fried fish that good outside of New Orleans or Nashville. Holy moly.

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007
Local for like five years but didn't really expand outside of my neighborhood for a while and we've since moved even <b>further</b> northwest, but prior to COVID shutdowns Husband and I were on a mission to try all the ramen worth trying in the city since we moved from LA and I think he still has dreams of Daikokuya; any suggestions that are maybe less well-known/not necessarily in the middle of Chinatown for us to try as things begin to open up again and the situation gets less tenuous? We are particular fans of <b>Ramen Hashi</b> and <b>Ramen Tatsu</b> and have tried the ones all our local friends suggested upon moving here like Jinya, Monta, and Sora, but always looking for more options! Bonus points if it's close-ish to Centennial; still trying to find "our spot" up here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite ramen shop is Fukumimi at Trop and Eastern. Super small but if there's a line it's worth the wait.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My favorite ramen shop is Fukumimi at Trop and Eastern. Super small but if there's a line it's worth the wait.

Thank you for the heads up on this, definitely going to go check this out with my wife sometime!

Edit: I dunno if anyone else went to the Chris Decker/Garagiste popup last week, but it was fantastic and the sunset was even better. Chris, John, Ismaele and Justin pumped out some killer pies, the Sundown mushrooms and squash blossom pizza was perfect. And all the glasses of wine sure didn't hurt.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I was on a nice long vacation to California and found this place. Had to get a photo for everyone's favorite pizzagoon:

They're in East LA. The beer was okay, ciders were pretty good.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I was on a nice long vacation to California and found this place. Had to get a photo for everyone's favorite pizzagoon:

They're in East LA. The beer was okay, ciders were pretty good.

That's pretty fuckin' awesome! And they got it right - the Ogopogo is a lake monster in southern BC. Will have to swing by there for some stickers and cider next time I'm in LA.

In other news, we walked some spaces with a developer and the plans for our brick and mortar are coming along. Look for us early next year in the Huntridge Theater area...!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh poo poo Huntridge! How will you compete with the Jegermeistser wall?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen, the most important food event of the year has been announced and tickets are on sale NOW!

https://www.vegasunstripped.com/

Unstripped is local chefs' response to being excluded from Food & Wine's Vegas Food Festival in favor of out-of-towner celebrity chefs with Strip restaurants. It's like that stupid festival, but off-Strip, with better food, better attitude, and better drinks. It is in short the best money you can possibly spend on food in Vegas. Early bird special is $95 tickets, which is enough to pay for the Lyft you'll need to get there because goddrat does the booze flow like water.

If you're in Vegas, buy a ticket for this. If you're thinking of visiting Vegas, get a ticket for this and plan your trip around it. It's just. Plain. Awesome.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the most important food event of the year has been announced and tickets are on sale NOW!

https://www.vegasunstripped.com/

Unstripped is local chefs' response to being excluded from Food & Wine's Vegas Food Festival in favor of out-of-towner celebrity chefs with Strip restaurants. It's like that stupid festival, but off-Strip, with better food, better attitude, and better drinks. It is in short the best money you can possibly spend on food in Vegas. Early bird special is $95 tickets, which is enough to pay for the Lyft you'll need to get there because goddrat does the booze flow like water.

If you're in Vegas, buy a ticket for this. If you're thinking of visiting Vegas, get a ticket for this and plan your trip around it. It's just. Plain. Awesome.

Absolute must if anyone hasn't ever been. Good chance our chef will be participating in some way, super pumped to get out there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So glad this is going down again. Had so much fun last time.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Picked up two tickets. We moved here 2 years ago and 7 months in the pandemic hit :(

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Festival(ish) alert!

quote:

The Las Vegas Pizza Alliance welcomes you to a night of local slices and pizza celebration with all proceeds supporting Slice Out Hunger on Monday, August 16, 2021 from 7:30-9:30pm. Pizza Expo attendees and local Vegas pizza lovers are welcome to join us for samples from five of the city’s best pizza and beer from Crafthaus Brewery. Tickets are just $25 and capacity is severely limited so get yours today!

For the price it's exceptional value, and it's a good place to start out before heading to the Stamp, or any number of other area attractions. Tickets here: https://sliceouthunger.org/las-vegas-pizza-alliance-welcome-party-2021

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Festival(ish) alert!

For the price it's exceptional value, and it's a good place to start out before heading to the Stamp, or any number of other area attractions. Tickets here: https://sliceouthunger.org/las-vegas-pizza-alliance-welcome-party-2021

Highly recommending everyone do this! It’s a super good cause and good way to experience some Pizza Expo atmosphere without having to go to the convention hall. Our chef will be there helping out John, Chris, Vince and the others. Gonna be a fun week all around. Our shop got selected to be the third stop on Scott Weiner’s pizza tour, so we’re pumped for that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gonna be going to Vegas from the 5th to the 10th.

My list of restaurants to hit...

Sunday
Sushisamba

Monday
Fukuburger
Tacos El Gordo
Herbs and Rye
Doner Kebab Express

Tuesday
Eggslut at the Cosmopolitan
Momofuku at the Cosmopolitan
La Cave at Wynn
Halal Guys at Caesar's Palace

Wednesday
Bardot Brasserie at the Aria Brunch
Lavo at the Venetian

Thursday
Bouchon
Bazaar Meats at the Sahara

Friday
St Honore Donuts

One I'm debating about is finding a way to fit in is Hattie B's chicken.

Thank you for your reviews bartolimu, I'm going to double check my list to see what I should adjust.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

None of those are bad spots, but not going to the Arts District at all seems like a bad idea. Even if just for drinks or something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bartolimu posted:

None of those are bad spots, but not going to the Arts District at all seems like a bad idea. Even if just for drinks or something.

Alright. I’ll adjust my day. I found out Sushisamba has ramen so I can remove mumofuku and replan that time. Maybe with the Cornish Pastry place and Jammyland.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
If you're gonna be that close, try and swing into Esther's for a drink at the bar, or Main St. Provisions across the way.

Also I'd nix Halal Guys at Caesar's - maybe I'm jaded, but I did a long-term gig in the sports book at Caesars, and Halal Guys is in the food court next to it. And it is just food court level food there. Was never impressed by it, tried it a couple times to see if it was a fluke but it never rocked me as "worth it." You could do Hattie B's instead that day since you'll already be at Cosmo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ogopogo posted:

If you're gonna be that close, try and swing into Esther's for a drink at the bar, or Main St. Provisions across the way.

Also I'd nix Halal Guys at Caesar's - maybe I'm jaded, but I did a long-term gig in the sports book at Caesars, and Halal Guys is in the food court next to it. And it is just food court level food there. Was never impressed by it, tried it a couple times to see if it was a fluke but it never rocked me as "worth it." You could do Hattie B's instead that day since you'll already be at Cosmo.

Good point. Since I already plan to do a Doner Sandwich/Shawarma place on Monday I might as well nix the Halal Guys and do something more interesting. An afternoon bar hopping sounds good.

Thanks guys!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ogopogo posted:

For what it's worth the Halal Guys in Chinatown is mediocre too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I had to reschedule a lot cause Bardot and Bouchon don't do brunch on weekdays, Herb and Rye is closed on Labor Day Monday, La Cave isn't open on Wednesday and lmao I rescheduled a lot.

Out of curiosity, one thing I didn't see is a lot of Arabic/middle eastern type restaurants. Are there any notable ones? There's a lot of Asian influence which is cool tho.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

bartolimu posted:

It's off-Strip, but for my money the best Fancy Meal place is Raku. It's like Nobu, but better quality, half the price (the highest omakase is sub-$200), and with 100% fewer Jersey Shore rejects sitting at the next table braying about how "that was the sickest sushi I've ever had, bro." Yes that is an actual thing that happened at Nobu once.

Thanks for this.

Also I had a quick question. The booking agent on the phone told me that reservations are a must right now because Covid has half the restaurants closed so the other half are crazy busy. Is this true? Or is that just some sales spiel because they're trying to get dinner reservations for a $$ throwback?

I'm going to be in Vegas at the end of this month. Crashing someone's wedding, idk, it was a last minute thing.

I'm looking for a high-end sushi place and you used the magic word "omakase" lol. So far everything I had found was like, "high-end asian cuisine with a sushi menu which is not what I'm looking for.

I haven't had a proper vacation in at least 6 years so I really want to go all out on this one. Definitely going to check out some of the other places on the list in the OP!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Raku is legit the total bees knees. I love that place so much.

The reservations required thing is a thing. Not every place is doing it, but it makes sense for Raku especially since they're so small.

Gatts, most of the halal type places in town are good but nothing to write home about. Same with the Greek places (of which there are a lot). We do have a bunch of really good Ethiopian places, but you'll need a good sized group to do that.

But if you want to take a turn to somewhere unique, go to BG Bistro. It's a Bulgarian place, and very well executed. It's also really unpretentious and so very delicious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We do have a bunch of really good Ethiopian places, but you'll need a good sized group to do that.

BC I was doing a solo survey of Ethiopian places trying to figure out which ones I liked best. And while it's definitely better with a group, you can totally order a large meal for one or take some stuff home. Probably the best place I tried was Zee Vegas Ethiopian at Decatur and Pioneer, which Google Maps had as Gir Giro LV for reasons I can't quite understand. GMaps has them as "temporarily closed" but they also report a new Korean restaurant in the area. There were two other businesses in that building, so hope isn't completely lost, but I'm concerned. Best thing about Zee was their injera; they were a bakery and I think provided for a couple of other restaurants, so the injera was super fresh and had the best texture I've found in town. Back in late 2019 when I visited, the owner (Zee, naturally) was planning to buy a buffet service table and have a lot of the stewed dishes on display so non-Ethiopian people would feel more comfortable ordering. He said he was turning into the "Panda Express of Ethiopian food." I admired his entrepreneurial spirit. Hopefully he didn't go out of business and we'll get to see his genius at work.

I'll have to check out BG Bistro, hadn't heard of them. The menu looks outstanding.

seance snacks, I just want to point out that Raku isn't a dedicated sushi restaurant. They have a significant amount of sushi and sashimi on the menu, and if you request an omakase that concentrates on that they'll make adjustments. But the whole meal will be amazing regardless. If you're looking for a 100% sushi meal, though, I would suggest Kabuto, which concentrates on traditional Tokyo-style sushi and is in the same mini-mall as Raku. I haven't been, but reviews are uniformly great. Then go for dessert next door at Raku Sweets. Otherwise, you could consider Sen of Japan - it's farther afield than the other two options, but it's excellent. Last time I was there (it's been quite a while), the omakase was more sushi-forward than Raku's. That said, if I had to choose between the two just based on value and enjoyment, Raku would win for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I just discovered a little stall inside Seafood City that sells fried stuff by the pound. Now, that might not sound special to you, but they have things like whole fried eggplants, crispy pork pata, and chicken chiccharron in 4 flavors . And for like $2.99 a pound. Holy moly is it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
If you see this bottle, get one

Joe Swick doing some tasty things with his natural wines.