Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Glad to see the effort, Bart. I'll add some updates soon, especially for Eastside and Chinatown. Just throw whatever I write into the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I know I haven't done my update yet, but I needed to pop in to say that everyone needs to get in to Partage. We just walked in on a Friday night and were seated immediately. Highlights were the best duck breast I've ever had, gold (the mineral) and lemon verbena cecream, and jamon on wheels.

Unf.

Oh also I guess Alain Ducasse just left. Whether or not that effected quality I don't know, but drat is my mouth Happy.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 1, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Slore Tactician posted:

I wish this thread existed a year ago - I got married in Vegas (at the neon museum, naturally) last December and had my reception at Frankie’s.

Are you actually Richard Cheese?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's ok if you're old Dick. I see you like twice a year at Red Rocks!

Frankie's really is great. Smokey, but so classic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Glad you got to chill at the Palms for that, Bart. The whole place has really come up, and this is the sort of event that exemplifies that.

What red was it, though?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite place on the Strip these days is Best Friend, the Roy Choi Korean/Mexican place at Park MGM. Totally owns every time I've been.

Bazaar is good, but not worth it. It's all the way down at the Sahara, so far away from the rest of the strip, but when I say not worth it that's because it's even faster to go over to Paradise Road and eat at Cleaver. If I want a cut of meat in this town, I go to Cleaver (or more often Herbs and Rye, which has the same menu but is smaller.)

On another topic - Bart, I've finally become semi-regular at The Starbord Tack. I don't know why I waited so long.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Able Baker is doing great stuff, and yep it's a great place to hang out.

BTW I'm heading to Sparrow + Wolf tomorrow night and I haven't been in a bit. What's good now?

Also Tai 2 sauerkraut fish is about to open in Chinatown and I'm super excited. It's great to see even more specialized places open up.

Also also the Sand Dollar is going to turn into the Miracle on Spring Mountain Christmas bar on Thanksgiving and I'm super excited. It's going to be like getting drunk on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 24, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ah, I never posted! It was lovely at Sparrow + Wolf. We ended up ordering too much (we were at a table) buy we took home the extras. Meal included:

Cheese and charcuterie with the most amazing pickles.
The bread.
Charred romanesco
Hot potato
The octopus
Some crazy fois gras creation that tanked me out.

Also I fell in love with the "Jura fine girl". What a great place.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just grabbed our tickets for Repeal Day at the Mob Museum this year. We opted not to have the dinner at Oscar's because, while good, Oscar's would be too much damned food before trying to enjoy the party. We learned our lesson last year.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite patisserie is on West Sahara at Valley View, called Delices Gourmands. If you have a car it's no big deal, and as a locals place its craaaaazy cheap and unpretentious while still having better quality than anything on the strip. However, if you're tied to the strip or don't have transport, the best bakery you'll find is Bouchon Bakery in the Grand Canal Shoppes at Venetian.

For Friday dinner, I suggest Cleaver for the best steak in town (get a res probably though if it's just a couple of you the bar is open seating) or Raku for truly amazing Japanese (definitely a res if you can get one). If you want to spend less money and be super casual, the best tacos in town are at Tacos El Gordo. The Charleston location is the best but impossible to eat at because its too crowded, so go to the one on the strip near the Sahara.

Or if you just want to be really old Vegas style and eat at a place where you're not sure if you're on drugs or its just the vibe, check out the Peppermill.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's Nevada living, LC! Glad you like it!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Glad you tried the crazy corndog place. That's near my office so I've been able to go a few times.

Also nice to hear that Three Sheets is doing something upstairs. I play trivia there sometimes and that space is, like, beckoning for something cool.

New stuff for me: I've finally been to Hatsumi a couple of times and.....I don't see what the hype is about. The sake list is good but not amazing, some of the menu items are pretty alright but I can think of 2 better izakayas in town and a better one in Reno so meh.

The Front Yard at Ellis Island is going to be awesome in the summer. They're still sighting in their menu a bit as far as portions, and the Ellis island staff cannot at all figure out service beyond Village Pub level, but the food is good.

Mayfair supper club is hilarious and awesome if you want to wear a nice suit and eat a hoitu toity dinner at strip prices. Cocktails are good. Food competent, especially if you are a lobster thermidor fan like me. But 9 times out of 10 I'm still going to choose Cleaver.

Ramen Shibire is the hot poo poo new ramen joint of the month. Still not as good as fukumimi.

Starboard tack still doesn't have centerbe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pro recommend, Bart. All of Little Ethiopia (yes, we have a Little Ethiopia now) is showing lots of promise. Great food and awesome people.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Bart, have you found anyone doing take away cocktails? All the good places in Reno are, but all my favorite spots here (herbs, starboard, etc) seem to be closed closed closed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sooooo, Lee's liquor will deliver to my house. And their prices are really dumb on beer right now. Not only did I pick up a bunch of random Belgian beers for $2/bottle, but Myanmar lager (not great, but nice when it's hot out) is going for $3.29 for a 12 pack.

Thank goodness.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shame about Joseph James, but I knew we'd lose at least one or two breweries.

We're not going to go out anywhere until we get to Phase III at least and the emergency order is lifted.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No great loss, but sweet tomatoes (as well as all sweet tomatoes and souplantation locations) are gone for good, as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Uh basically what I'm looking forward to is Wolf Down opening in Chinatown, so I can get my doner kebab fix in without having to go to Neonopolis (and the one at Neonopolis sucks anyway). My wife and I will have our second vaccines in a week or so, so I'm looking forward to checking out Robata En finally as well as Din Tai Fung at Aria.

There's also super cool stuff going on at Area 15 that I've been able to check out during the off hours, but I really want to hang there at night when people are around.

There's a drive-through Korean dumpling place called Cupbop next to UNLV now. It's overpriced and of middling quality. Don't bother.

Vickie's Diner got "removed" from it's long term location in the old White Cross on Las Vegas Boulevard so that the building can be demolished. While this is sad, Vickie's is re-opening in Commercial Center close by to the original Lotus of Siam. This is good news if you like diner food, and once they re-open they will again be the only place in town I can get fried trout and eggs for breakfast.

Also it's been so drat long since I could just walk in to Herbs and Rye for a steak and a cocktail. So drat long.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What in the world are we going to do about Salt Bae?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I continue to be jealous of your restaurant scene.

My city is curling up and dying under the weight of COVID, and we're almost last in the nation in vaccination. I'm an 'essential worker' and am probably looking at like August to get stuck.

Once travel is a thing again, I'm going to go back to Vegas for a week and try to kill myself via good food and cheap drinks.

When you come, post about it here. We can do a post -covid food coma celebration.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Goons, I embarrassed to say that I was just introduced to the Fremont Street Market. I haven't ever had fried fish that good outside of New Orleans or Nashville. Holy moly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite ramen shop is Fukumimi at Trop and Eastern. Super small but if there's a line it's worth the wait.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh poo poo Huntridge! How will you compete with the Jegermeistser wall?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So glad this is going down again. Had so much fun last time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ogopogo posted:

If you're gonna be that close, try and swing into Esther's for a drink at the bar, or Main St. Provisions across the way.

Also I'd nix Halal Guys at Caesar's - maybe I'm jaded, but I did a long-term gig in the sports book at Caesars, and Halal Guys is in the food court next to it. And it is just food court level food there. Was never impressed by it, tried it a couple times to see if it was a fluke but it never rocked me as "worth it." You could do Hattie B's instead that day since you'll already be at Cosmo.

For what it's worth the Halal Guys in Chinatown is mediocre too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Raku is legit the total bees knees. I love that place so much.

The reservations required thing is a thing. Not every place is doing it, but it makes sense for Raku especially since they're so small.

Gatts, most of the halal type places in town are good but nothing to write home about. Same with the Greek places (of which there are a lot). We do have a bunch of really good Ethiopian places, but you'll need a good sized group to do that.

But if you want to take a turn to somewhere unique, go to BG Bistro. It's a Bulgarian place, and very well executed. It's also really unpretentious and so very delicious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I just discovered a little stall inside Seafood City that sells fried stuff by the pound. Now, that might not sound special to you, but they have things like whole fried eggplants, crispy pork pata, and chicken chiccharron in 4 flavors . And for like $2.99 a pound. Holy moly is it good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ExplodingChef posted:

I'm seriously thinking about taking a solo trip to Vegas for Unstripped -- I've heard pretty amazing things about it (mostly here), and this'll be the first vacation I've taken in a few years.

What's the atmosphere, etc like at Unstripped? I feel a little weird going alone, but my partner is just starting a new job and wouldn't be able to go. Is it basically a street party with food/bev action stations?

That's pretty much right. In the before times, it got pretty wild (for some of us). Who knows how it will be now.

quote:

I'm pondering on making the trip a mini-blowout and also doing Gaga's Jazz and Piano, the Dropkick/Rancid show that Friday night, and Meow Wolf.

The Dropkick/Rancid show at Virgin will be great. Meow Wolf is super cool, too, but plan a couple of hours for it.

quote:

Currently my only other food plans are probably trying Raku, Herb and Rye/Cleaver, and Bouchon for brunch. Might see if I can get a res at Lotus, but I've eaten there a few times so it's lower on the list under trying new fantastic places.

Would Cleaver be the general rec for a great steak dinner? Any other must-have spots? Budget isn't unlimited (I briefly thought about trying for a res at é, but ouch) but I'd prefer not to empty the bank.

Cleaver is the best imho, but is currently closed due to a fire. Do Herbs and Rye instead, especially because it's basically the same menu.

quote:

Tangentially related, I'm also trying to figure out where I want to stay. I've kind of always wanted to stay at the Luxor (in a pyramid room), and it's definitely the right price, but it's less centrally located. I won't be renting a car, so it'll be walking and Uber. I've stayed both on the Strip (MGM Grand) and a few times downtown, but it feels like it makes more sense for me to stay on-strip?

Sorry for the ramble :D

I mean, you're not really walking anywhere in Vegas outside of Downtown. One downfall of the Strip, though, is that if you're relying on Uber you're going to have some colossal wait times getting into and out of the property during peak hours. If you're doing the Virgin show, though, it might not be a bad idea to just stay there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

By the way, everyone in town this weekend - the Greek Food Fest is going on at St. John the Baptist orthodox church. If you've never been, it's really really good. Lots of music, lots of dancing, lots of ouzo, lots of chowing down. I usually work the gyro booth, but this year I'm just going to have a good time. About sunset is when things really start to get going.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just finished an early supper at Lotus of Siam for the first time in a while and can confirm that it still kicks complete rear end. Wine list is slimmer than last time, but the food is still absolutely superb.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Carillon posted:

If you don't mind me living vicariously through you, what'd you get?

I don't remember what the Riesling was, but it was very dry and very herbal.

We had some tom ka ga to start, and also the nam prik noom. Soup was crazy fragrant (I never learned, but I'm convinced they make their own coconut milk), and the chili dip was green and earthy and ... unctuous? Hard to describe the savoriness of it in any other way. After that the ka nom jean mam ngyow with extra pork blood cubes and the nam kao tod, which is still just about my favorite dish there. The ka nom was really perfectly sour and savory, and they threw a garnish of crispy pork bits stir fried with extra cherry tomatoes on top, which was new (usually it's ground pork and just the tomatoes in the broth). The crispy rice with sausage is really simple, but holy smokes they're so good at that one.

It wasn't a feast or anything - we just wanted to grab a quick meal after work, and they are just right down the street from the house. But we hadn't been since they reopened and our normal "I don't feel like cooking tonight" place, Cleaver, is still closed due to the fire.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Gotta save my party for next weekend at Punk Rock Bowling.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Your best bet for lone dining is anywhere with a bar. At herbs, for instance, there's no reservations at the bar - just show up and get in line. You'll get better service at the bar as a solo diner as well. Just call ahead to places and see what the bar reservation policy is.

For a sushi omakase, I would suggest Sushi Kame on spring mountain. Bart has some other good places he knows about too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I mean, same with Bazaar Meats or Partage or lots of places. But like, Kame is reaaaaaaalllllly good sushi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Congrats!

Gonna be hard to turn down your pizza when I drive past you twice a day, and drink next door all the time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mott 32 is really good. Never been to red plate, but you won't go wrong at mott.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Didn't want to miss it this year, but I had previous commitments at the Renaissance faire. Glad to hear it went so well!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh hell gonna be spending a lot of time at red dwarf it looks like. That location is very convenient for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Uh so stakeout and starboard are our regulars. It's gonna be cool when we realize that we know each other in real life.

How does stakeout have the best wings in Vegas? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ah, happy birthday! I always forget that we have the same day! I'm flying up to Reno for work, though, so can't go, but I'll toast to you!