Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cock hero flux posted:

i think you can forgive the guy having problems with perception of time when he's recounting a story about how he flew on a high speed aircraft to get roaring drunk in scotland 60 years ago

And I think you can forgive people for having problems recounting with 100% objective accuracy the events of a traumatic catastrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Goddamn lying fucks

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What the ever loving gently caress is going on itt

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Goddamn lying fucks

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I can't believe someone would do that just...... Lie....
on a television show and everything

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Couldn't the baby have absorbed a lot of the alpha/beta particles which were inside her, acting like a kind of dialysis/shield? It makes a certain kind of sense...
:shrug:

She certainly believes it, anyways.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is going on itt

I think its about meltdowns.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Why did they only have one accessible dosimeter? I have at least 2 thermometers, and I don't even work at a temperature factory.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Ograbme posted:

Why did they only have one accessible dosimeter? I have at least 2 thermometers, and I don't even work at a temperature factory.

they can't just go out and buy one, they get what they get

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ograbme posted:

Social parasitism and NATO sabotage were at fault

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ograbme posted:

They had a bunch of thermometers, just not any that go above 50c.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I can't believe someone would do that just...... Lie....
on a television show and everything

I wish somebody would give them the 1980s Soviet treatment and ship them to the Gulag.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

They had a bunch of thermometers, just not any that go above 50c.

50C is hot, but survivable in short bursts. Not great but not terrible.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

atomicpile posted:

50C is hot, but survivable in short bursts. Not great but not terrible.

Related question-

Is there a general ambient air temperature that humans can’t compensate for by sweating? Let’s say you have unlimited water and no wind. I assume there is a point where you core temp will continue to rise no matter how much you sweat.

e: i guess you would need to consider humidity

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah healthy non-old/child humans can survive absurdly high temperatures as long as it's dry and they have protective clothing and lots of water. The thing that gets you is humidity so your sweat stops evaporating, and if it gets real bad the inside of your lungs are the coolest, driest place the air touches so all the water starts condensing out of the air into your lungs. Anything over 100+ Fahrenheit with high humidity is real dangerous.

Now, conditions like this don't exist outside of labs, yet. Give it a few more decades of warming and you could have people drowning on air during humid heat waves.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm slamming the AZ-5 button but the threads not exploding to mercifully end its suffering what gives

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

my god i cant believe teh firefighters widow could mix up such basic sciennce what a LYING PIECE OF poo poo RUINING MY IMMERSION

No one is saying this and btw the only people freaking out are the ones saying they just want to enjoy the show. Cool? Enjoy the show? It's good. Why can't people discuss details about it without you tripping out???

Like why does this ruin your enjoyment of the show exactly?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This isn't TVIV. They care that the leather in Legasov's shoes came from the right breed of Soviet cow. We just want to talk about spicy rocks and nuclear science, man

And if we have drained the last drop of meme blood from that spicy rock then so be it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Captain Beans posted:

Related question-

Is there a general ambient air temperature that humans can’t compensate for by sweating? Let’s say you have unlimited water and no wind. I assume there is a point where you core temp will continue to rise no matter how much you sweat.

e: i guess you would need to consider humidity
Yeah there's a lot to read about exactly this, especially re: climate change

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature#Wet-bulb_temperature_and_health

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweet thursday posted:

This isn't TVIV. They care that the leather in Legasov's shoes came from the right breed of Soviet cow. We just want to talk about spicy rocks and nuclear science, man

And if we have drained the last drop of meme blood from that spicy rock then so be it

So talk about it? Nothing is stopping you.

"Breed of cow that made the leather in Legasov's shoes" is a ridiculous hyperbole. Is how radiation works not nuclear science enough for you?

Idk why a few posters itt feel the need to moderate the conversation such that only what they want is discussed.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 7, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

But it seems like the mods/KGB/God see fit to allow this thread to continue to exist and to either regulate itself or melt down and kill everyone who posts in it, so let's talk about other things aside from the goddamn hbo series minutiae

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

A good example of what a steam explosion and water hammer can do. In this instance they had to manually withdraw the control rod to reconnect it to its drive mechanism but took it out too far. This, in 4 milliseconds, created enough energy for the fuel inside the core to melt and to explosively vaporize

The expanding fuel produced an extreme pressure wave that blasted water upward, striking the top of the reactor vessel with 460,000 foot-pounds (620,000 J). The slug of water was propelled at about 159 feet per second (48 m/s) with average pressure of around 500 pounds per square inch (3,400 kPa). This extreme form of water hammer propelled the entire reactor vessel upward at about 27 feet per second (8.2 m/s), while the shield plugs were ejected at about 85 feet per second (26 m/s).

The water hammer and steam explosion sent the entire reactor jumping 9 feet. The spray of steam and water instantly killed one of the operators and mortally wounded another. A third operator was standing on top of the reactor vessel as this was all happening. One of the vessel's shield plugs was ejected and impaled the man through his groin and shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.

In all 3 men died from physical injuries but they would have been dead from the radiation anyway

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 7, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lmao Jose scrammed moridin's posting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i was away at a stag do and just got back home and saw 260 new posts so skipped to the penultimate page and saw 3 moridin posts in a row and gently caress that

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You did a good thing

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Jose posted:

i was away at a stag do and just got back home and saw 260 new posts so skipped to the penultimate page and saw 3 moridin posts in a row and gently caress that

Three moridin posts in a row? Not great but not terrible.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I'd rather read Moridin posts than SMG's CD brainworms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah healthy non-old/child humans can survive absurdly high temperatures as long as it's dry and they have protective clothing and lots of water. The thing that gets you is humidity so your sweat stops evaporating, and if it gets real bad the inside of your lungs are the coolest, driest place the air touches so all the water starts condensing out of the air into your lungs. Anything over 100+ Fahrenheit with high humidity is real dangerous.

Now, conditions like this don't exist outside of labs, yet. Give it a few more decades of warming and you could have people drowning on air during humid heat waves.

I want to know more

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

PittTheElder posted:

I want to know more

For survivable temperature/humidity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature#Wet-bulb_temperature_and_health

quote:

Living organisms can survive only within a certain temperature range. When the ambient temperature is excessive, humans and many animals cool themselves below ambient by evaporative cooling (sweat in humans and horses, saliva and water in dogs and other mammals); this helps to prevent potentially fatal hyperthermia due to heat stress. The effectiveness of evaporative cooling depends upon humidity; wet-bulb temperature, or more complex calculated quantities such as Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) which also takes account of solar radiation, give a useful indication of the degree of heat stress, and are used by several agencies as the basis for heat stress prevention guidelines.

A sustained wet-bulb temperature exceeding 35 °C (95 °F) is likely to be fatal even to fit and healthy people, unclothed in the shade next to a fan; at this temperature our bodies switch from shedding heat to the environment, to gaining heat from it. Thus 35 °C (95 °F) is the threshold beyond which the body is no longer able to adequately cool itself. A study by NOAA from 2013 concluded that heat stress will reduce labor capacity considerably under current emissions scenarios.

A 2010 study concluded that under a worst-case scenario for global warming with temperatures 12 °C (22 °F) higher than 2007, the wet-bulb temperature limit for humans could be exceeded around much of the world in future centuries. A 2015 study concluded that parts of the globe could become uninhabitable. An example of the threshold at which the human body is no longer able to cool itself and begins to overheat is a humidity level of 50% and a high heat of 46 °C (115 °F), as this would indicate a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F).

Drowning in air because your lungs fill up with water condensing out of it hasn't happened in the wild yet, there are times when it's gotten either hot enough or humid enough but not both at once. The effect can be demonstrated in lab conditions though, and as poo poo gets hotter we're gonna hit the point eventually where some places produce those conditions naturally. Basically whenever the dew point hits the temperature of your lungs. The highest dew point ever recorded is 95 F a few years ago in Saudi Arabia, just a little hotter/wetter and you start drowning on air.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 7, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Red salute to the Soviet proletarians who worked together to contain the Chernobyl incident. I don't have anything to add though except to note the show has inspired jokes among my circle like when my bro blew a tire on the highway and I went to rescue him and demand he explain how an RBMK-powered Honda Civic can just "blow a tire" like that. Impossible if you ask me

My understanding is that the Soviet secret police had their last hurrah under ex-KGB chief Andropov when he tried to improve labor productivity by cracking down on playing hookie from work i.e. "social parasitism" which mainly involved sending out plain clothes officers to harass people in movie theaters at 2 p.m. on weekday and so forth like

:backtowork: "hey bub, what are you doing watching a movie it's time to get back to work!"

Hence why Andropov was nicknamed Bystropov which is a portmanteau combining Andropov with "bystro" or fast because people were go go go or else... well I think they'd put you in the equivalent of a county lockup for a week if you really didn't feel like going to work

I see it basically got skipped over in everyone piling on Moridin, but holy poo poo this post. Look at this loving post.

Yuri Andropov: Theater Usher.

Jesus loving christ.

Anne Whateley posted:

Robert Peter Gale is a US doctor who flew out to identify and treat Chernobyl victims immediately afterward.

And conveniently, he wrote a 4-part review of the accuracy of the series. Part 1

Didn't someone already mention this guy was basically massively full of poo poo and was a huge pain in the rear end to the Soviets?

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't heard anything about that but I skip rows of posts with incoherent screaming. Post it if you got it, I'm curious

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't heard anything about that but I skip rows of posts with incoherent screaming. Post it if you got it, I'm curious

I think it was just one post, but I'll dig it up, I wanted to read this thread again anyway

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Well gently caress Anne, I couldn't find that post. But I did go through and find some of the thread's greatest hits from the first 50 or so pages...

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Help, I'm a goddamn skeleton by Fukishima guy

poverty goat posted:

lol his first name is hyman

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

If your friend has any mathematical skill, you can easily show the scale required for solar panels to produce enough energy to meet today's needs for the United States. It's not a matter of efficiency, there simply isn't enough energy reaching the Earth's surface.

You would need a solar array the size of Pennsylvania.

How do you
(1) Produce that many solar panels without an obscene expenditure of fossil fuel energy?
(2) Produce that many solar panels without an obscene amount of hazardous chemicals / waste?
(3) Have that much sunlight blocked from the land without the largest ecological disaster in history?
(4) Clean the birdshit off of them?

Hell Yeah posted:

nerds look at tv so wrong. they ruin everything

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why this wasn't posted here yet.

Honky Dong Country posted:

If you're advocating for the abandonment of nuclear power then just be honest and throw your support behind continuing to set poo poo on fire to keep the lights on and ruining the planet. Because that's what you're doing indirectly. Renewables can't take the load, especially with the insufficient power storage technology we have. There's good things happening in that department as well, but we're a long way off to being ready to go all renewable and we need to stop burning poo poo as soon as possible. You won't pull that off with renewables.

feelix posted:

That is indeed a hypothetical considering I am a highly intelligent holder of a doctorate.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Evil Agita posted:

Does my PhD need to be in nuclear physics or can it be in something else? Its currently in OPs mom please advise

Phanatic posted:

More like PhDeez nuts.

withak posted:

What the gently caress does HBO really know about making TV?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Forget radiation exposure, imagine how that unventilated tunnel smelled.

poverty goat posted:

here's a big album of pripyat/chernobyl pictures, starting before the accident w/ some pics of the npp under construction

https://imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Michaeldim posted:

Just learned that the dude who made and wrote this show wrote Scary Movies 3 and 4.

Michaeldim posted:

lmao I just rewatched Ep. 3 and when the chief miner dude asks Legasov for a cigarette, Legasov hands him his pack and the dude loving pockets the whole loving pack and here I didn't think I could love this man any more. :allears:

Julius CSAR posted:

Party Aparatchik in Blue Suit Chased By Burly Radioactive Miner With Hat Then hosed

Blind Rasputin posted:

Russian Minister gets Filthy so 20 Miners will work his shaft.

Blind Rasputin posted:

White Hot U235 Absolutely Sizzling Between Two Black Graphite Moderators.

Julius CSAR posted:

Nuclear Physicist Arrested By KGB ASMR JOI With Steam Explosion Countdown

SeXReX posted:

when you SCRAM and she keeps criticality

Vastarien posted:

https://webm.red/WtPv.webm

does this webm poo poo work?

RocketSurgeon posted:

How is babby (de)formed?

Julius CSAR posted:

TV show guy: “No, no, what unit were you in, in Afghanistan?”

Me: “lol this kid is so hosed”

Woof Blitzer posted:

Chernobyl Part 4: :blastu: :dogcited:

AFewBricksShy posted:

"This is Fine!" BARF

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 7, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Julius CSAR posted:

Well gently caress Anne, I couldn't find that post. But I did go through and find some of the thread's greatest hits from the first 50 or so pages...

You forgot this one tho

Colonel Taint posted:

This is uh... probably going to get taken down soon but I had this idea earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrsM5jv3mM

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8qYHm2AJI

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KFeR5S4KCs

I don't remember if I successfully posted this before, if so I think it got swept up in... the storm. Or else no one found it funny which is fair.

If YouTube blocks your region

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can simplify things for you.

The baby in the Chernobyl series didn’t actually die of radiation poisoning in reality.

The writer, Craig Mazin, was going for a bullet motif:

“Every atom of U-235 is like a bullet, traveling at nearly the speed of light, penetrating nearly everything in its path: woods, metal, concrete, flesh. Every gram of U-235 holds over a billion trillion of these bullets. ... That’s three million billion trillion bullets in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat. Most of these bullets will not stop firing for 100 years.”

This bullet motif is why all the characters are constantly, ahistorically, threatening to shoot eachother.

The notion of “three million billion trillion bullets” is deployed so that the radiation unleashed at Chernobyl can serve as a metaphor for the USSR’s entire violent history, and a general societal pressure / malaise. (The old cow woman treats Stalin, Lenin, the Czars, Gorbachev, and the exploded reactor as completely interchangeable because they all killed people with ‘bullets’. Guns are bad.)

Sometimes the radiation/bullet/history metaphor is very effective, as when the soldiers exterminate housepets while ruminating over the failed invasion of Afghanistan. But in some cases, like the magic radiation baby, it’s pretty weak.

Mazin is going for the idea (directly stated by the Emily Morton character, who often serves as Mazin’s self-insert) that the innocent baby heroically jumped in front of a million billion bullets and saved its mother - just like the miners, right?

But radiation doesn’t actually work that way at all. The baby’s death in reality was just an unfortunate coincidence. So you have the Emily Morton character endorsing a comfortable falsehood over the painful truth that the baby didn’t die a hero.

And there are two complementary issues here: Morton is ostensibly a composite of dozens of real-life hero scientists, so the false baby story is falsely attributed to them. And, at the same time, the basic decision to create a composite character generates a standard Hollywood narrative where the rebellious free-thinking individual faces off against the mass of sheeple. The real scientists didn’t strongarm their way through government checkpoints and so-on. They were working for the government.

It’s not a very minor quibble, since the Morton character literally gets threatened with the gulag/death over the radioactive baby, then gives a couple speeches about it. It’s a key part of her characterization.

what is wrong with you

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Couldn't the baby have absorbed a lot of the alpha/beta particles which were inside her, acting like a kind of dialysis/shield? It makes a certain kind of sense...
:shrug:

She certainly believes it, anyways.

The only way that could happen would be if the alpha or beta emitters that made it to her bloodstream accumulated in the fetus, any radiation emanating from her husband capable of harming others would be strictly gamma

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Julius CSAR posted:

Thank you for this.

In some point in the future, HDC will do his annual nuke thread which I look forward to. As of right now, this thread has been lowering power and is incredibly unstable due to thread poisoning from bad posters. As such, it is time to SCRAM.

The real reward from Chernobyl was all the friends we made along the way. (and cancer)

Let's hope this AZ-5 button works......

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Reopened because those Russians are at it again!

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/08/09/radiation-spike-fuels-scramble-for-iodine-in-russian-cities-near-explosion-a66785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What will those wacky scamps do next!