Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Falukorv posted:

Most credible historical criticisms of the show is concerning Dyatlov, who bore the brunt of the blame but many maintain that the blame should be primarily on the designers of the reactor and their obscufations. They took some liberties with Dyatlov and some who knew him had better things to say and that he stuck up for the other operators in court, who got scapegoated by the state.

The dichotomy of brave truth-seeking scientists vs the KGB and the state covering their asses is a bit misleading too, it was influential and respected scientists involved with the design of the reactor and in the nuclear institutes that managed to co-opt the soviet state in covering both parties asses in the flawed design of the reactor and pushing to fault the operators. The show does heavily critize the design but forgets that many scientists were part of shifting the blame away from the design bureaus and nuclear institute responsible and got the ear of the government. The KGBs inlfuence in this case was small compared to this.

And ofc the whole megaton potential steam explosion turning large swathes of europe inhabitable is a huge exagerration.

Yeah we know. It's also a TV show that has to dramatize things. But thanks for showing up a year later to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Wow are those dramatization true?
Next you are going to tell me that the strong female character didn't exist and was actually a bunch of different scientists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

coke posted:

Wow are those dramatization true?
Next you are going to tell me that the strong female character didn't exist and was actually a bunch of different scientists.

i'd like her to make my reactor critical iykwim

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chamale posted:

Going to a crowded beach during COVID-19: Not great, not terrible.

(The square building in the background is the leaking Leningradskaya reactor. It appears to be a very mild leak though)

well, surely the radiation is bad for the virus as well

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the IAEA asked around if anyone was having reactor troubles

quote:

By Monday afternoon, 29 Member States in the European region (Albania, Austria, Belgium Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine and United Kingdom) had voluntarily reported to the IAEA that there were no events on their territories that may have caused the observed air concentrations of Ru-103, Cs-134 and Cs-137. They also provided information about their own measurements and results. In addition, some countries which have not been approached by the IAEA – Algeria, Georgia, Tajikistan and the United Arab Emirates – also reported voluntarily to the IAEA information about their measurements and that there were no events on their territories.

theres a notable name absent

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah we know. It's also a TV show that has to dramatize things. But thanks for showing up a year later to do this.

That is a bit unnecessary, it was asked about in the last page and the thread was in the first page of GBS when i replied. I bloody well know that as a dramatization it has to take some liberties but i was responding to last page posts on how the dramatisation varied from historical accounts, jeesh no need to be unpleasant.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jeesh, no need to be so British

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When you really want water in your reactor core
https://twitter.com/Syndroma3/status/1280043162388570113

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

happy chernobyl day, all

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I love videos in the 'look how hard this machine can pee' genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Bringing the thread back from the dead cause of this…

Birthday present from my sister. She didn’t tell me exactly how she got it but it shipped from Ukraine. No idea if it was actually awarded to a liquidator. It’s an amazing present that I’m very thankful for.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Bringing the thread back from the dead cause of this…

Birthday present from my sister. She didn’t tell me exactly how she got it but it shipped from Ukraine. No idea if it was actually awarded to a liquidator. It’s an amazing present that I’m very thankful for.

Wow cool
Wonder if it would make a geiger click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I thought the same thing after I had it pinned to my chest all day.