Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've read claims that the showrunners apparently have some convoluted explanation in mind already that makes it all fit together, but would rather that TV audience just sit back and enjoy the show for now instead of bothering trying to follow it.

I've not seen Endgame yet and have managed to go somewhat unspoiled so far, so no idea just how hard it would be to reconcile everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I was wondering at first how the hell the space crew was jumping around the galaxy on the Zephyr when it wasn't even made to go into space at all before it got the gravitonium upgrade, but the reveal that they jury-rigged the Confederation teleportation machine into a jumpdrive was perfect.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PunkBoy posted:

Season 6, Episode 1: Missing Pieces

<gif greatness>

This owns and I love you for doing it!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They're reusing the Lighthouse set, so that's one expense saved at least.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

cjg posted:

I don't understand the time situation. Wasn't Fitz supposed to be in cryostasis for 75 years so he could wait for the rest of them and pop out in what's currently the present? So did that ship get split in half 70some years ago?

It's not super complicated. Here, have a super high-quality chart of how it works out:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
ngl this season has started out pretty strong to me. I'm really looking forward to see how superscience couple FitzSimmons will bounce against Doctor "World-killing cosmic invaders? Get me some hard liqour!" Benson, what Daisy's reaction to not-Coulson will be, and how Deke is going to fit into all of this.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The references in season 5 were still vague enough that the show can reasonably claim to have actually taken place more than a year prior to infinity war at that point. In the end, all they do is state that "something weird is going on in New York" (when isn't it?) and "Thanos is coming to Earth soon" (soon relative to what?)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't recall. Maybe it was just the confederacy spaceship that Gravitalbot brought down over Chicago?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The setup for the acid trip was a bit contrived, and tone-wise I probably wouldn't enjoy it if this was how the entire series was, but for a one-off episode it was hilarious.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also we need them to get back together soon for the amazing "well I married future you then he died. Also, you're scary as gently caress and tortured Daisy"

Also "We have a grandson that you hate. Time doesn't work at all like you expected (maybe write it down in case the Avengers ever need to know about time travel some day?). Also, Coulson died and now somebody looking like him wants to destroy the earth."

Too bad they'll probably skip over "You named the newly-discovered Fear Dimension that leaked into the basement of our base at one point."

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 27, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

NutShellBill posted:

I have questions about this season so far.

Did season 4 and 5 happen? I realize that the Framework compressed a lot of time, and then season 5's space shenanigans really ignored time, but a few things seemed to have totally ignored.

Is Simmons pregnant? Did she have the kid, and left the child back on Earth? I could have sworn she was having morning sickness.

Did Daisy forgive other Fitz for torturing her? I thought it was a work in progress and then, oops, rebar.

Speaking of Fitz, this version was still The Doctor, right? And then add in brain damage from the bends, and whatever PTSD being a SHIELD agent has provided, and he's one bad day away from going nuts again, right?

I was under the impression this happened before the snap, and is all subject to erasure... am I right about that? Or is AoS just out of sync with the Marvel Universe? That would explain why a mass murderer with Coulson's face has attract zero Avenger attention... but that's just how the AoS universe works.

Speaking of how the world views SHIELD: SHIELD is operating openly again. Marked cars in broad daylight, a budget to hire new agents it seems, and plans for an academy. Is just a handwave pardon for saving the world from Graviton?

This show is usually pretty good about the details, and heavy handed with foreshadowing... but I do like that this season has been more fun.

Lastly, and this one is the most subjective:

Were Quake and Simmons bonding in a tripping balls way, or an actual chemistry way? When Quake pointed out that she wanted her own Fitz; she probably didn't mean involuntary surgery Fitz, and was quick to point that out, but she may have been hinting she wanted someone like that. And there's 5 people on the SHIELD search mission. And space gets lonely? I thought they were building towards Quake saying something she definitely should not have been saying, when they were interrupted under the table. I can see it being an unrequited crush kind of thing, because nothing is more apropos than Fitz and Simmons finding one more reason to not be together, like an impromptu kiss, or misinterpreted hug. I just feel like they might be going that way.

All of Season 4 happened. The exact amount of time that passed in the real world while they were in the framework in S4's third pod is unknown, but probably not too different from what was portrayed inside the framework.
All of Season 5 also happened from the viewpoint of all of the main cast except Current-Fitz, although everything in the first third of season 5 took place in a future that will never happen in the current timeline. The characters still remember visiting it however, and Deke was still brought back from it.

Simmons was not confirmed pregnant at any point in season 5, and if she'd somehow gone through pregnancy during the year between 5 and 6, I think we'd have found out about it by now.

I don't think there was ever any explicit forgiveness. Relations definitely remained strained, what with Fitz being kept confined to his room afterwards until poo poo just got too busy for them to worry about it.

Current-Fitz in season 6 is still the doctor yes. The Doctor thing was a result of the trauma from his experience in the Framework. Current-Fitz and Dead-Fitz only diverged after the Framework when he went into Cryostasis and one woke in the future, travelled back and died, and the other woke in the present due to the changed timeline.

Originally the final third of season 5 was implied to be taking place just prior to Infinity War, but season 6 has since retconned that it happened more than year prior, and the snap has yet to happen in AoS. AoS haven't really bothered with the Avengers since season 2 had them passing on the location of the Sokovia Hydra base to Maria Hill
When (or if) it eventually happens, I suppose any non--dusted AoS characters are either going to keep having adventures in the background until Endgame sets things right, or will be said to have helped save the world just off screen.

SHIELD has come back into the open multiple times since Winter Soldier on AoS. First in season 3 with US government backing (though they still kept out of the press), and then openly in season 4 with the Patriot as their director until LMDs tore it all to poo poo at the end of the season. Season 6 sees them all coming back in the open again, presumably because they have managed to adequately explain the whole LMD debacle now. Season 3 implied that the world sees them as a primarily US-based agency now, so their scope is probably heavily reduced from the massive organization that SHIELD was pre-Winter Soldier and they're primarily called in to deal with the weird poo poo that normal intelligence agencies are not equipped to handle, and the Avengers are too busy to deal with.

Daisy's drugged-out confession probably has roots in her massive misfortune in romantic relationships. First she found out Ward was a Hydra mole immediately after she'd started to acknowledge that she had romantic feelings for him, then kept getting haunted by him for another two seasons, then Lincoln went and sacrificed himself in a nuclear explosion after she'd found a somewhat-steady relationship with him. It's no wonder she's jealous of Simmons having a boyfriend/husband who'd take on the universe in order to get back to her.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 29, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The illustration of Jemma with anthropomorphic Daisy, Piper and Davis was fabulous

Also, Enoch at the end. He better be a regular on the show from now on.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Oasx posted:

The only thing I don’t like about this season is that all the aliens just look like humans. They can afford to do some nice cgi work, a special effects makeup artist shouldn’t be outside of their budget.

I dont think their budget is that much better than season 5, and they seem to be saving it for more important scenes. They had that random guy teleport out of the bar with their disc offscreen to avoid having to do the effect an extra time for example.

More to the point, having just watched Captain Marvel, aliens looking like humans seems to just be a thing in the marvel universe.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Deke's brief little moment of reflecting upon his now-positive relationship with Fitz before getting to work was adorable.

So was Simmons taking Daisy aside to point out her habit of running away from pain.

Daisy using her experience of gaining her own powers to relate to May what Coulson would be going through was also awesome.

This episode was pretty amazing overall at making all the seasons up until now feel like they've had and continue to have an effect on the characters in the show.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 27, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

I unfortunately fell asleep during the last 20 minutes of Friday's episode. Anyone care to give me a spoilerific recap? Think I dozed right after Deke started designing the thingy.

Coulson-restoration in into the Sarge-copy is now in progress.

Izel has Mack and Yoyo captive in an ancient aztec temple and needs their help to reconstruct the monolith, by having the fear dimension rift/monolith energy she stole manifest their fear of her creating the monoliths, which happens to be in the form of Flint, the geomancer inhuman kid from the future that put the time monolith back together so the the team could get back into the past.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Re-watching S1 and its rough about the edges but it still has some great moments. The end of eye-spy is a legit awesome twist.

FZZT is also pretty emotional, and Fitz faffing about with the parachute while Ward grabs it and jumps without a second thought owns. Makes me feel like he actually did care about them, he probably was a bit sad to drop em in the ocean.

Ward mentions it later as being a calculated ploy help earn the team's trust, so on rewatching it seems more like him being absolutely confident in pulling it off and ripping the parachute out of Fitz' hands so as to not lose the opportunity.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really excited for an agent Carter appearance next season now that the option appears to be on the table and they are doing period scenes anyway.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I doubt they had everything planned out all the way back in season 2 when they introduced the monolith. Back then it was just some generic thing Shield had locked up on the carrier and which the inhumans immediately took Raina's word for as being a weapon meant to be used against them.

AoS' writing team has always been very good at carrying elements of previous seasons forward into the next, and I wouldn't doubt that they'd feel confident enough to write in stuff without yet having a fully formed idea for how it fits together.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Being possessed by the Spirit of Vengeance burned the GH serum out of Coulson's body, which apparently his body was dependent on after he was treated with.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, he seems to have been the 60's/70's-era director of SHIELD

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
All I'm seeing is a bunch of film crew vehicles and tents.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The greatest thing would be if they somehow showed the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 of Agent Carter as being the work of the time-traveling Chromicons and made this season work as the final season of Agent Carter too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ugnnh, just two more weeks...

Going to be weird not to have any more AoS to look forward to after this season

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This was a great start for the season. So many possibilities for characters from previous seasons or the broader MCU to turn up now that time travel is involved too.

Personally holding out for a young, pre-transformation Steve Rogers appearance, an Agent Carter/Jarvis appearance and Brett Dalton in any kind of role that they care to put him in.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Coulson binged all of both season 5 and 6 in his mind in 2 minutes, yeah

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, they went into season 5 expecting it to be the last, and were then pleasantly surprised midway through production (iirc) to be renewed for not one, but two season. This time they are really ending the series though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Speculation based on the promo for episode 4:

Sousa will end up going along to the future with rest of the crew and become a permanent part of it for the remainder of the season. Deke will just have to accept that he will no longer be the first-ever time-displaced Agent of Shield :D

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 12, 2020

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Now I want to see Deke awkwardly try to bond with Sousa over their shared "Stuck out of Time" situation

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mymla posted:

Surprising, too, since the last few seasons have been varying degrees of disappointing.

:frogout:

Seriously, I get that some episodes have been uneven, but AoS has overall been pretty solid quality television ever since it got past season 1

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
At this point I could see them revisiting the alternate Battle for New York from endgame, just to work the Cop Sousa footage in somehow and then have some fun with it all (LMD Coulson taking the place of the real one in getting speared by Loki, perhaps?).

It could also explain why the snap never happened; The Thanos from their reality is the one who traveled back to the main MCU reality and got dusted there.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 27, 2020

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Erev posted:

... I now feel like the whole thing is a Space Station 13 gang round....

I'm now even more unreasonably excited for next week's episode.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I saw them as a in-universe justification for most of the episode being more over-the-top than the show usually is; Deke is retelling events with a little embellishment. It does kind of get undermined by the main story progressing directly into the next story without a cut to the end of the debriefing though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Jaiying might not be quite dead yet. She survived dissection after all.

She’d probably need a doctor though.

Daisy knows where to find a certain doctor Johnson

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
ngl, The Darkhold would be a pretty sweet thing to put on a bookshelf.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Presumably they figured that they had better odds of taking over Earth than they had going up again extra-dimensional bird goddess woman again, even with the benefit of time travel foresight for round two.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This has been a wild ride. My only lingering disappointment is that they couldn't also work in an actual appearance by Ward, Hunter and Bobbi in the last season.

Also, lol at Piper wishing for DavisBot

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Andrew_1985 posted:

What were everyone’s favourite arcs if you had to rate them?

Seeing Daisy go from a hacker-in-a-van in the pilot to rear end-kicking superhero in the finale.

The surprise arc of Sousa going from WW2 veteran and mundane-but-reasonable government agent in the fifties to time-displaced space explorer in a wholly different show was also immensely satisfying, coming in second only because it hasn't had as much time to play out in.

(As for story arcs, the Aida/Framework arc is pretty hard to beat)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It wouldn't really have worked without major alterations to the story, since they never actually advanced far enough in the alt-timeline for Ward to become an adult. They stopped in the eighties.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GigaPeon posted:

Agents of SHIELD was concluded by firing a space based Love Ray at their enemies. You can't convince me otherwise.

Also, I'm not super smart. Fitz basically used Ant Man tech to pull a Rick and Morty and found a universe that didn't suck for everyone to wind up in, right?

Except they did "right" by the old universe by pulling the sucky part with them?

Fitz looked through the timelines with a copy of the Timestream that Enoch pickpocketed while he was in disguise back in the season 6 finale

Fitz found a workable, if convoluted, plan for saving their own, original timeline, but it required the participation of Daisy's long-dead sister

Fitz can't send the rest of the team to any arbitrary point in time, but he can piggyback them onto the bag guys' time travel, and can see that this will eventually result in them ending up in a branching timeline where they will meet Kora

He himself will need to stay in the quantum realm to maintain a "bridge" between the branching timeline and the original timeline, so that they can eventually return to the original.

He thus sends the team off, spends a few instants in the quantum realm and is then pulled out again by them in the alternate timeline where Kora (he expects) will be alive and well to help them

His original plan was for the team + Kora to then go back to the original timeline, arriving at the same instant that they originally departed, and with Kora's help give all the bad guy minions empathy to save the day. The rest of the team objected to this on the grounds that it would leave the alternate timeline with a fleet of bad guy ships still in orbit, poised to conquer Earth.

So the plan was amended to bring this fleet back with them to the original timeline, and give empathy to both original timeline bad guys + alternate timeline bad guys there.

From the perspective of the original timeline:
Bad guy fleet arrives in orbit
Moments later Shield team travels into the past
An instant later Shield team arrives again from alternate timeline, along with alternate timeline bad guy fleet that joins the original fleet in orbit
Both fleets are then turned friendly by the power of love

From the perspective of the alternate timeline:
Bad guys mess with events through the decades and are countered by Shield
Their plan eventually culminates in their fleet arriving in orbit to conquer alternate Earth
Shield then drags the fleet out of the timeline, leaving alternate Earth safe from this threat, if relatively bruised by the orbital bombardment

Both timelines are saved at the end of the day. None of the universes involved were sacrificed to a sucky end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, for all intents and purposes he's the same person, brought back from future. But unlike Deke he's also still present in the now-abandoned future timeline that the team prevented.