Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Season six was confirmed by the showrunners to be pre-snap. This is weird considering the 'one year later' scene of course but we'll have to see how it settles.

On the whole I'm happy with the start of the season. Two plots to follow and plans for rebuilding the brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I want pictures of that picture book. I didn't get a good enough look at it when I was watching it.

Wasn't it the Darkhold or whatever?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I hope the Studios are just announcing seperately otherwise the 50th is going to be a bit of a joke on Saturday with Star Trek being the only big draw that I am aware of. I honestly figured SDCC would get one more strong year before the studios started leaving it. Ah well.

Regardless, I know where I'll be Thursday.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Half an hour to panel!

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
"So the thing they do before they kill you is call you in and say 'We need a talk...'."
"It's a courtesy!"
-On Mack becoming a main character.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Answer to a last big cameo or two at the panel was "tune in". As was Daisy opening Coulson's letter.

End of Season six trailer from SDCC - SPOILERS Sarge gets 'better' and chases after Izel. She releases some shrike into the jungle. They wind up in some South American ruins and he tells her he's finally succeeded hunting her. It wasn't a hunt she says but he was longing for her. The three obelisks were collected and a portal with something came out. Sarge is superpowered in a dusty way and isn't all there - somewhere between Hive dust and Ghist Rider ash. Daisy does have the letter in hand but isn't seen openong it. Cornered by Daisy Sarge/Coulson seems to take control and ask her to finish him. Cut oddly to Enoch telling Jemma and Fitz that they are about to do the hardest thing they've ever had to eliciting an 'I know' from both. They seem to be carrying guns.

I'm certain I missed a couple bits and got a couple others slightly wrong but it looked good.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Yup! That's the one!

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I feel now more than ever that they are setting up to return the series to the main continuity through this final series of adventures using Monolith Magic(tm). Coulson being an LMD would even allow him to start showing up in the movies again in a "we thought you died?" "He did. I am his Life Model Decoy" followed by a sampling of his LMD-ness (bonus points for 'and this is my team' but likely won't happen). People could accept that but if they follow the series they get one hell of a better ride.

Guesses for season 7:
*"Gemma" will be killed and be found to be an LMD.
*(Real) Gemma and Fitz will either be found when they are old and grey during time travel after having made their LMD selves or hidden themselves away in some obscure point in time while making LMDs and sending them out to do the science and team-wrangling.
*Ward will show up, but only as a flashback using already shot footage.
*Bobbi and Hunter will return, with an option on Deathlock.
*While Agent Carter is already confirmed to return, I suspect this will be the version of her from the 'happily ever after' timeline and Steve will be referenced. Outside shot at a voice line or walk on.
*Similarly, Howard Stark and Jarvis may well show up - even in the same episode.
*Outside chance of a visit to Fury. At the very least they will try to hunt him down and eventually decide its futile cause he's just drat good at not being found.
*We'll see Chronocom-3/4 founded after Enoch starts reclassifying or saving some of them (perhaps getting Noah back?) We may also find that Anthropologists were made more badass than Hunters for a reason. They may all have the same tech, but perhaps being a benevolent science type gives you some secret kickass abilities or, at least, ways to creatively overcome your directives.

And I do hope they'll do a single crossover with a Disney+ show but I feel that's REALLY on the outside of the likeliness bell curve.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So, Cater tie-in confirmed. Almost guaranteed return to the main Cinematic Universe by the end of the series (say last three episodes to give them time for one last great hurrah to prevent the Chronicoms from breaking Real Earth(tm)). Rumors of Quake in A5 and there being a SWORD thing planned (live action show?) What else do we know or suspect?

Guesses:
More SHIELD personnel get seeded throughout movies (background or cameo level - maybe Phil with a bit more to mess with Thor) or as seed characters to help new shows find their footing.
May as something more cause Disney Legend.
Quake giving a shot at a non-Royal family Inhumans reboot.
Grant Ward shows up for old times sake.

Wishes:
The return of the Koenigs.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Any sources for those rumors? Not the guesses, I get that they're guesses.

The Agent Carter tie is is all over - hard to choose a source. Souza is going to be returning at a minimum. While I would like to say that this implies Carter SHIELD did give us 'just Sif' once for a Thor tie in.

Looking deeper into it SWORD seems to come from Wandavision - I haven't been following that as close as I should but SHIELD alternate 1950s white picket fence reality perhaps? Two vehicles were photographed at a distance with SWORD logos.

The Quake bit I mostly got from social media buzz but the only articles I can find are some blog and Screen Rant soooo.... wishful thinking seems most likely?

And, admittedly, the return to the MCU is a guess but I feel a rather solid one. They aren't using MCU timetravel after all so Stark's theory doesn't matter - and even if it did Cap got back somehow. Magic space rock samples could fit the bill. And I feel that the writers would want to hitch the horse back up to the wagon as well as make those characters available - I mean they've worked with those folks for years so why not give them an outside chance at a movie or follow up show?

Edit: I suck at linking images so I tossed it. Search Wandavision SWORD and image search should have the trucks.

Erev fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 19, 2020

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Nah, new thread title should be "Dad jokes - it's a glitch."

Personal speculation is still that (this) Gemma is an LMD and that Fitz and Simmons are now QUITE old having figured time travel out. The crew will pass through where they've hidden just before the fight to reclaim modern day Earth and get some exposition and goodbyes.

As for this episode - I enjoyed it quite a bit! I loved the period feeling title screen and wonder if they'll change it up based upon the era that the crew is in per episode. Also the Chronocoms are seriously going to need to pull in reinforcements. They got three people in the 30s and have already lost one (possibly two) of them. Step up your game, nerds!

Also Yoyo being fine and the sudden appearance of Spider-May isn't a good sign. So much for wondering how she'll react to seeing Coulson....

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Unrelated: That Speakeasy password.... I'm thinking that they chose 1931 just for that joke.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The farewell season is certainly off to a good, fun start. I enjoyed the implied answer to the Koenigs.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

They're all robots!

It's even better, because the Koenigs were always using "We're not robots!" as a line. But then you got Enoch - "I am not a robot, I am a sentient Chronocom...."

The Koenigs are the first Earth-created Chronocoms. This is even more amusing considering the Hunters want Earth as a new Chronocom homeworld - and Enoch beat them to it.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
It may have been a bit of a stretch, but I was highly amused the monochrome and monologueing bits had an in-universe component.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I really want to know what Mallick had in the envelope.

They were lacking the white gloves and boots.

Betting real FitzSimmons.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Did anyone manage to grab a screencap of the list of names on the computer screen? I only caught Bruce Banner and Victoria Hand on the list.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Phylodox posted:

They have everyone’s parents!!!

I mean... this would be unfortunate for them, considering Daisy.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

The problem is Thanos would have to snap both Fitz and Simmons. If he left either alive, the other one would have figured out a way to beat him before the Avengers. If there's one thing this series has shown, it's that Fitz and Simmons can't be stopped when the other needs them.

I can't think of anything to add.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
That was a heavy episode and probably my least favorite of the new season - though still good and the plot did need the kick to maintain momentum. Next week though... that looks like a hell of a time.

Edit: Also, did anyone catch the whole 'The Deke Squad' poster in the background of the teaser? Rewatching it I now feel like the whole thing is a Space Station 13 gang round....

Edit edit: Also 'EXTERMINATE' so the Chronocoms have been watching too much Dr. Who. And, of course, Coulson is now Max Headroom.

Erev fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 2, 2020

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe that Malick hoser isn't dead.

I totally can. That was as Disney/comicbook death as you could get.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

swickles posted:

I hope Coulson and Mae see Garrett and just empty their clips into him.

Nah, keep continuity.

Have Coulsin pop him with a ray gun all over again.

My guess? Victory and backwards in time, then forwards again having stopped the initial Chronicom fuckery. They arrive - a couple years late due to barely functional time drive but do think they hosed it up seeing a giant space station ahead. This is immediately settled by Fury calling them from the station asking where the hell they've been and what they did to his ship.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So, I got FitzSimmons baby, the Lola keys, and I'm going to give myself 50% on SWORD with Zephyr 3.

I am sad that we didn't get at least a Fury cameo (either with Zephyr 3 or letting himself into Lola). I am also a little sad that Garrett died when he seemed to be coming around (but it was awesome to see Hand again!)

On the whole though? I was really drat happy with the finale and found the tie back into the MCU good enough (because, lets face it, none of these things stand up after sustained nerd scrutiny). I hope we'll see some of them in future productions - Daisy is best set up but Yoyo, Coulson, and Mack are all possibilities. And at the end there Mack fulled off a decent Fury look on that helicarrier.

Also, the Coulson Academy? Not bad for a living/dead/robo-undead guy.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Also, wait... what was the EXACT wording of the Chronocoms after the Empathy-Blast?

Did they straight up upload Enoch into them all?

Also DavisBOT was funny and good to see. I am also super glad they remembered Flint and Piper (even if the crew didn't?)

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Director Shaw and The Deke Squad is a What If I'd read.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Nothing after the goodbyes. Most everyone gets one.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

ashpanash posted:

How did Fitz and Simmons have a blond baby

Punnett Square it - it is only a 1 in 4 drop given the right genes. And, on a practical level 'alright, who among the crew has a cute kid'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

It was actually Enoch's baby

Enoch has enough children - what with being a Koenig dad.