Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teek posted:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/10/agents-of-shield-season-6-premiere-showrunners-interview/

lol. That makes no loving sense. One year later but still pre-snap? Unless they're now retconning the "You see that stuff in New York?" to be about Spider-Man: Homecoming or something.
Honestly, just saying "gently caress it, we'll lag a year behind so we can react to the movies Disney stupidly won't let us know gently caress-all about" is probably the best way to handle it, so I hope it's what they do, and then Season 7 can be the final season and deal with the Snappening however much or little they want.

Or last year's time fuckery and this year's subsequent alternate reality poo poo sets the canon AoS now solidly outside of the MCU, which is fine too.

Yeah, you could just never address it ever, but that'd be kinda' weird. At least give me a loose fig leaf of "don't worry about it" in the actual text I can grasp on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Azhais posted:

I was a bit surprised he wasn't on the ship looking for granddad
I have face blindness and thought one of the people incurring themselves into our world was a Deke and I was super disappointed that was how he'd be added back into the show, so I'm very glad to be wrong. I like Deke. Fitz is an rear end in a top hat WRT him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I missed the post-logo stinger. Can somebody tell me what happened?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Speedsters are so insanely overpowered that your two choices are to kill them off immediately like Quicksilver or just pretend they're too stupid to use their powers every time it could solve every problem instantly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deke and Enoch spinoff plz.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When are they gonna' get to the fireworks factory?

Seriously, in an episode where a lot of stuff happened, it still feels like nothing happened and we're killing time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darth Brooks posted:

The movie part of Marvel and the TV part of Marvel aren't getting along right now... or ever, really.
So much to the point that movie Marvel has started a second television division that it WILL play nice with.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't and still don't
The line about Deke being "just a dick" is a callback to GotG 1 where Quill says something like "I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm not 100% a dick."

I thought it was pretty clever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't get the significance of "hey, guys." Is that something Coulson says a lot or something?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I haven't rewatched in a while. Do I have a total block on Amy being abusive or was I just not looking for it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agents of Shield thread.

Or was that :thejoke:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Now I want Iain de Caestecker to play The Master against Jodie's Doctor.

He was a loving fantastic villain.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Watching season 1 I never would have guessed that this would be such an absolute loving fact.
Season 1 of AoS is right up there with Deep Space Nine in being bad television made retroactively stonking great once you go back to watch it again knowing what comes after and having a great familiarity with the actors and characters.

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is a pretty good season for the story, and even for non-main characters getting several lines. Deke's co-workers, Piper, Davis (pre-death), but man, I think the main characters come out of this looking like chumps:
I haven't wanted to say anything, because dropping into a thread where everybody likes a thing only to be like "thing bad, actually" is just so mean-spirited and so obviously an exercise in "you're all stupid and I know better so respect me" that I've tried to stop doing it, but yeah. That really rubbed me the wrong way and this is my least favorite season arc so far, but even a plot that did nothing for me was kept strong by the character relationships.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every idiot's brother-in-law is a jedi. People use light sabers to carve T'urk'iis every Life Day.

I hope she's something cooler.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deke is just the best foil for Fitz. My god. I'm on both of their sides in every scene. I want Grandpa Leo to approve of his grandson so bad and I want Fitz's irritating, morally-compromised grandson to be and do better and stop being so annoying.

It's rare to take both sides in something like that, but the writing and performing is so great it works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Metropolis posted:

Hey so what is the general consensus from y'all on how good the latest season was? I followed the show since the start but the latest season didn't grab me after the first four episodes so I dropped it.
I hated it. The mystery of Sarge was incredibly disappointing and the entire season was predicated on it and nothing seemed to be building on past events so much as "well, here's what we're doing now."

But it had some fantastic single episodes I'd put up there with the show's strongest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

Deleted it, the last of my social media.
You posted that to social media.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

Would be weird since Disney owns both and Disney+ comes bundled with Hulu.
Hadn't heard that, but if it's true, Hulu doesn't come bundled with Disney+, so their incentive would be to get people to sign up for the new thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

It’s an optional package. Pay he extra 5ish dollars and get Hulu and ESPN+ with all the other stuff. They definitely have an interest in making people want Hulu.
Right, but my point is that a Disney-produced show not going to Hulu can mean it could still be going to Disney+. The fact that they also own a piece of Hulu is immaterial because Disney+ is their new service and they need it to be successful. Also, they own the whole thing, unlike Hulu.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

They completely own Hulu now. It was split between Disney, Fox and NBC, but obviously they own Fox now and bought out NBCs share recently.
Huh. Well, poo poo. I guess Ghost Rider's hosed then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you want him on a bike, put Robbie Reyes on the bike.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Slashrat posted:

The greatest thing would be if they somehow showed the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 of Agent Carter as being the work of the time-traveling Chromicons and made this season work as the final season of Agent Carter too.
I'm intrigued by your views and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Erev posted:

And, admittedly, the return to the MCU is a guess but I feel a rather solid one. They aren't using MCU timetravel after all so Stark's theory doesn't matter - and even if it did Cap got back somehow. Magic space rock samples could fit the bill. And I feel that the writers would want to hitch the horse back up to the wagon as well as make those characters available - I mean they've worked with those folks for years so why not give them an outside chance at a movie or follow up show?
The thing preventing this, more than anything else, was a dick-measuring contest between Feige and Loeb, so hopefully Feige isn't anything like Vince McMahon and understands that that IP is now his to play with. And he included Jarvis in Endgame, so it's definitely possible, whether or not its probability is in question.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 19, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Trailer spoilers

Y'know how it's bad and dumb that DC keeps concocting reasons for Batman and Superman to murder somebody?

Marvel can't help but occasionally say, "but what if the GOOD guy was a Nazi?" and the like. So, "we have to save the Nazis!"

Just, please no. This very show already did "but what if we were the Nazis?."

Nazis aren't fictional. Calling them supernazis doesn't make it better. And they're murdering people and going on shooting sprees, and I we live in hellworld.

So, like, I'm not outraged, but I am rolling my eyes pretty hard at how tone-deaf it is to do this. Particularly right now.

And if you're gonna' give me a "here's why you should think it's okay" take? Save it. We're not debating and arriving at a consensus here, because we don't write for the show. Our opinions aren't zero sum. I'm just saying how I feel about that moment in the trailer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the LMD Coulson was created so he could be back in the movies but not ruin the Agents of Shield plot or make it mandatory to watch.
They'd have to explain what LMDs are first, so I kinda' doubt it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This just reminds me how awesome that 1-2-3 punch of Ghost Rider, LMD, and Agents of HYDRA was. Holy poo poo, what a season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

LMD's are already canon in the MCU itself, so no need to explain.
Are you talking about that one throw-away line of Tony Stark's, or am I forgetting something else?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Erev posted:

Unrelated: That Speakeasy password.... I'm thinking that they chose 1931 just for that joke.
I didn't get it. What's the significance of "swordfish?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

I do like the idea that HYDRA and SHIELD are so closely linked one can't exist without the other, so we get the most unlikely team up in the most unlikely way against a somehow bigger threat.

Just as long as we don't hang out here and agonize over moral decisions so we can all move on, I'm deffo onboard.
I said it when the trailer dropped, but I'm super not into writers bending over backwards to come up with reasons why we need to help Nazis.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Someone please explain the thread title to me, I didn't really get the joke/reference the first time.
I'd appreciate this too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CornHolio posted:

It's especially great when you realize Daisy had to convince everybody that they were in a time loop, and she had to explain this many, many times. She probably had her spiel memorized and fully efficient by the time she was done.

GUYS, BLAH BLAH TIME LOOP, BLAH BLAH HERE'S PROOF, OK NOW FOLLOW MY VERY EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS.
They showed that repeatedly with the phlebotinum moment. Which was cute, because that's a term the Buffy writer's room used for a magical whatever device that served a plot purpose and since the Buffy writers spread out to all the other writing rooms, the term is pretty popular now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

::Shh::

Half this show's writers are Buffy / Angel writers, including the guy who wrote this ep.
I'm well aware this is a Whedon helmed show. I just wanted to give the moment context for anybody who didn't know.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was J. August Richards busy or something? I'm kinda' surprised. He was the catalyst of the show's premise.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did people really not like Deke? I liked him from the jump. He was great. Even if that "this guy is dressed just like Starlord" thing when he was introduced was kind of blah.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agents of Shield is the clearest example of a phenomenon that doesn't really have a name yet, but stick with me.

When you watch most of the season you're like, "this is just meh," but if you're re-watching season 1 after seeing the later show, now all the characters have become your TV pals, so those early eps are way better on a re-watch because you know these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deke very quickly became my favorite character.