Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Would agree with the above. It's doable, but a ton of driving... too much I would argue. You're planning to spend almost half of your entire time in the US inside a car.

I've been to all the places you're going more than once, and I've never done northern California and the southwest in the same trip. Antelope Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion are all great suggestions that I also covered on my last trip to the Grand Canyon, and all are much more convenient to reach. Zion in particular has a lot of great hikes, and I like it just as much as Yosemite (Antelope Canyon takes just an hour or two to see once you get to Page, while you'd probably be satisfied spending a day in Bryce Canyon).

October is a great time to go, just be prepared for a wide range of temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Haha, I was gonna say, even the middle of July is too cold for swimming there.

Anyway, Saladman pretty much covered everything. I would never label Yosemite or other places in northern California as "skippable", just hard to combine in the same trip as southern California, Vegas, and the southwest parks without a lot more time.

edit: On the other hand, I would normally consider LA to be pretty skippable, especially compared to the rest of your trip, but if you're gonna fly in and out of there you might as well look around for a bit.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 14, 2019

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

On a related note, I figured that for lodging our best options would be an Airbnb in the cities, and camping in the NP. Does this seem right? Any recommended camping sites ? Thanks :)

Not sure what you mean by "best" option. If you want to camp, you can, as long as you reserve and have the gear you need. It'll certainly be the cheapest option. I'm personally not much of a camper, so I always stay at hotels/b&bs either inside or outside the parks. You can find the ones inside the parks on their respective government websites; they're typically more convenient and expensive than the ones in nearby towns. There should still be availability either way, but the hotels inside the parks do fill up, so if you're interested in them I would book as soon as you finish planning.