Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Resting Lich Face posted:

So I'm working on a weird sort of science-fantasy hybrid setting for DnD (think Eberron with cyberpunk elements) where there's a sort of glamorous upperclass moon hosting a dystopian ecumenopolis orbiting a more traditional DnD fantasy world it exploits for energy and food production. The fantasy world was colonized by the moon-city in the past but a successful yet disastrous attempt to harvest energy from the planet's core (it's not a normal real-universe planet but a core of pure magic) has left the planet literally fractured as the ritual involved merged parts of the feywild and shadowfel into the prime material plane and left the planet fractured (like a quarter of it is a massive crater and there's giant fissures crisscrossing the surface) and colonization attempts were scaled back leaving the magitech stuff behind.

Thoughts? I'm mostly trying to figure out how to make the moon-city as interesting as the main planet, as a sort of high-level area players could potentially access.

The moon city is the Imperial Capital equivalent that spawns the Colonial Ventures on the planet. In the Capital players are faced with more political intrigues, backroom deals, etc etc. The moon city needs something from the planet--magical energy/crystals? slaves for blood magic rituals? more mundane raw resources?--and it's up to the players and others like them to go get it. Powerful Patrons sponsor Expeditions to the planet's surface. The players start as low level members of one such Expedition, but as they put in their time and help the Expedition accomplish its tasks, the players wind up getting more and more exposure to the upper levels. First the Expedition leader, then his contact on the Capital (a Mr. Johnson-like fellow), then the rarified circles of those who sponsor and invest in Expeditions. Soon, it becomes just as important to sabotage your rival Expeditions and play politics to get ahead as it is to actually accomplish your Expedition's own tasks.

To complicate matters, there are different factions in the moon city representing the various attitudes towards colonialism in general. The default seeks to "uplift" the natives as "the moon-man's burden" while heavily exploiting them in the process. But others argue for stopping such exploitation altogether--even if it means a decline in living standards/loss of power in the Capital. Still others seek to not just establish colonies for resource exploitation but ultimately annex and incorporate them into the Empire as true Imperial provinces and Imperial citizens, not just second-class colonists. Others are more xenophobic and would like to eliminate all life on the planet entirely, paving the way for its "resettlement" with proper moon folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If we're posting songs, this one describes a beginning shadowrunner falling into the business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZxLMNz3lsY

You play a little rough but I never knew you were after me
Now even when I'm alone I feel like somebody's watching me
I couldn't smell the smoke and now I'll watch the flames
I couldn't push myself to quit, oh this dangerous game
There's a reason people die out here
I can't keep living this way

I've been running so long
These shadows start to feel like home
I know it's backwards
Been scared so long
Can't recall what I started running from