Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I base everything on songs. I literally just spent an hour writing the first draft of a PBTA hack based on Springsteen albums like Born to Run: melodramatic, over the top, slightly urban fantasy/horror about petty criminals & losers trying to escape New Jersey. How can you go wrong with locations like Jungleland, The Darkness on the Edge of Town, and the Badlands (not the ones in Glorantha) and characters like The Magic Rat? And the Chicken Man?

I’m using the Gaslight Anthem’s 59 Sound for a silly Christmas episode of Monster of the Week where they fight Jacob Marley’s ghost.

I’ve spent 16 years planning an Unknown Armies game based on The Hold Steady album Seperation Sunday, making Holly an Epideromancer who ascends as the Naked Goddess. Then i’m gonna turn it into a full setting based on all their songs. Lots of murders and double crosses and surrealism. Gonna add in Thomas Disch’s Minneapolis Gothic and Emma Bull’s War for the Oaks.

I just started running Monster of the Week and their song A Slight Discomfort has like 5 monsters in 5 lines:

Don't it suck about the succubi, the bloodsuckers and the parasites?
They're never funny and they're all so scared to die
All the small talk seems like suicide, the spiderwebs with the legs and eggs and eyes
They creep up from behind
If I were you I wouldn't get too close
I've seen how they eat and it gets pretty gross
They slip their tongue and they hitch onto their host

My MOTW characters are also gonna meet the Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton but that’s based on a published adventure about a cursed metal album. It can only be defeated by the sacred chord from Hallelujah.

I could get years out of Tom Waits (using Just the Right Bullets already) and Nick Cave.

Ezra Furman’s Transangelic Exodus is about queer angels on the run from the government, but the upcoming Relics RPG already does that.

Wanna do a music game like Powerchords where Dance Music works like Banality in Changeling.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah you're never gonna run out of music to rip stuff off from. Most PCs are basically 70s rock stars in personality anyway.

I'm currently trying to write a fantasy/punk pbta game (working title "Who's gonna throw the toilet?") where the core theme is gently caress Off We'll Do It Ourselves, the main mechanical gimmick is passion vs obsession, and the implied setting's an ongoing slow apocalypse caused by the neglect of the comfortable people who need to have neither.

Can we collaborate? Is it going to be strictly punk or will there be Velvet Goldmine style glam crossover like Bowie working with Iggy and Lou?

Micheal Moorcock’s The Great Rock & Roll Swindle combines the literal Sex Pistols with Jerry Cornelius (who’s sidekick in the books is based on Lemmy): http://gnomeship.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-great-rock-n-roll-swindle.html

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Curse of Milhaven by Nick Cave, based on a Peter Straub short story, is a perfect MOTW/Hunter adventure. It’s got: an escalating series of murders, red herrings, NPCS, a villain with a cool motivation...

Red Right Hand is cliche but good for a big bad

Nebraska by Springsteen is about a literal Murder Hobo: he just wanders around killing for no reason

Bunch of Nick Cave songs are similar

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

If I was running it i’d probably track down the original short story, which I assume explains this, but I feel like the song does have enough for a one shot.

I took that last one as her disguising herself.

But yes, I would say she’s just ‘crazy’. Or, like myself, she’s an existentialist who views death as inevitable & is just hurrying it along. But i’d go with crazy or possessed. Maybe a minion of the Res Right Hand.

If one is seeking a genocidial villain, I can suggest eliminating life to eliminate pain & suffering.

How’d you do Red Right Hand? Literally a ‘man, a god, a ghost, a ghoul’ who manipulates people? Like I know those are all things you can be in D&D with stats. He reminds me of King’s Randall Flagg or Mr Needful/Leland Gaunt.

Even Stephen King isn’t above this technique, his ultimate big bad is just named after King Crimson. I’m told Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure uses a similar technique.

The new MOTW book has a blues adventure with a very long Spotify playlist .

I think The Goon RPG is probably close to a Tom Waits RPG, since the comic is partly based on our songs.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 23, 2019

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

It’s not my idea, Matt Fraction made them fight Thor in the Marvel Comics, and Tome of Mysteries already has an adventure about a cursed metal band. I’m just using the name.

The more I work on my Springsteen game, the more shocked I am that nobody has used Jungleland for a setting. It’s epic as hell!

I won’t quote it, but it’s basically Shadowrun or Blades in the Dark. Midnight gangs assembling to fight! Secret debts! Double crosses! The street being alive in a death waltz! The Magic Rat getting gunned down by his own dreams! The hungry and the hunted! The Maximum Lawmen - I dunno what they are but they sound like some scary Judge Dredd poo poo to throw at your players. Just total over the top criminal romance. It’s a whole setting that I don’t think I can begin to do justice to.