Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hedningen posted:

[*]Ironbloods: Basically Chaos Dwarfs - industrious, originally made by their gods to build and live, but discovered that said gods made for excellent building material for thaumaturgical weapons. Were driven underground, found demons, ended up enslaving the demons, built a vast underground slave empire that necessarily needed to keep expanding, kinda became demon-y thanks to extended exploitation of demon resources, and are now trying to grab slaves from Adelav now that anti-demon wards are failing.

Things I need to work on - avoiding cliches and dangerous cultural parallels, especially with the dwarf analogues: I know they get coded as Semitic frequently enough, so I really need to clearly differentiate them.

Any thoughts on my kinda lovely setting so far?

It's especially important the you avoid semitic implications with your version of dwarves given the parallel of Nazi propaganda to, well, semitic peoples.

It's interesting that you classify this as a sort of renaissance style setting, although the situation of it is very much in tune with the historical renaissance, with the church beginning to lose some of its power politically. Obviously the elves sort of stand in for the church, as they are, albeit in a much diminished capacity.

I guess a large question is, who are the nobles? I am not a historian, but my pop culture knowledge of the renaissance leads me to the conclusion that there is some form of nobility that would be interested in humanist philosophy, the artistic thrust of the time with its politicking and patronage. Also guilds, which neatly sidestep the species element entirely, if you're looking into that.

On a related note, Tolkien's portrayal of dwarves was obviously Semitic in nature, and carried through to a number of fantasy books, notably Terry Pratchett's, but where did the pop culture trope of dwarves being Scottish originate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU