Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The setting I run in is actually inherited from a friend who passed the GM torch to me. They told me I could just redo the whole thing but I have a personal thing where I don't like outright retconning something established. Also the original conceit of "these landmasses are long dead leviathan monsters" is very cool. Most of my setting building is done largely on the fly, except for the things that my players aren't really near.

The closest thing to them that I've put more thought into are primarily orc tribes that come from the neighboring steppes into the forest towns to trade. These are roughly based on reading about the tribes that had control of the Silk Road in Central Asia from ancient-to-mid history (if you've ever played the GBA Fire Emblem, think the Sacae people). I wanted to dissuade from my players assuming an alignment from traditionally evil races, which is why their primary antagonists have been largely humans or corrupted humanoids and they've had mostly friendly interactions when encountering "monstrous" races.

Almost everything else is just vague concepts that I thought would be cool like "this viking area that one character is from couldn't sustain an Underdark so it just Is The Underdark", or "this area that sees a lot of death is overlooked by a death-worshipping holy city with an evergrowing citadel to commemorate the fallen." I'm excited for my players to get to these places but yeah my priorities are all sorts of backwards in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU