Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How do y'all handle gods/divinity/religion? My current world is sort of standard low-ish fantasy medieval Europe but with more fey than usual. I like the 'American Gods' approach of gods have power based on number of worshipers, but for this campaign I never quite got around to fleshing out a pantheon (largely because nobody wanted to play a cleric) and so religion has been very much an afterthought and not very present in the campaign.

I had this idea that most people worship small, old 'gods' that might just be the spirit of a place-this village worships this ancient tree and the spirit of the river over there and some really old people still leave a bit of bread on that rock outside of town after every harvest kind of thing, but that there are also more modern, organized gods. In the country people still cling to their old pagan ways, but in the cities new and powerful gods are being worshiped and maybe even created. For some reason I have always found gods that were active in the world of humans in the Greco-Roman/norse way a bit odd, but at the same time I really like idea that your neighbor might be a god with only 2 worshipers left.

I did write up a bit of a creation myth (which might just be a myth?) that I've sort of locked myself into, which definitely implies the fey and dragons at least are much older than the gods in this here bad little story:

The Beginning:
In the beginning, Wotan, the All Father, the wise, the mover of mountains, and Gestra, Mother of All, the wild, the sower of forests, came into Dara. They coupled and their son Forstig was to have been the kind, the just, the bringer of balance, but on the day of his birth he was born disfigured, twisted and oozing and sickly, a living abomination. Wotan and Gestra cried in their grief, and their tears became the pool of magic on which Dara floats. In their anger and their shame, they buried Forstig under the ground where he writhes, shaking the world and the sea of magic in his pain and his loneliness. It is said the most ancient of elves were born after the last time Forstig shook the world, drowning it in his parent’s tears.
In his grief, Wotan created the humans, the dwarves, and the orcs in his image-hard as stone, tough as iron. Gestra in turn made the elves, the gnomes, and the halflings to console her in her sorrow. These are not the only creatures of Dara, for it was not an empty land when Wotan and Gestra came into it. They found there dragons and fairies and spirits which were ancient even then-creatures which know of gods much older than these two-and much more besides.

E: There's tons of great situations and stories and fairies and poo poo in traditional folk music and stuff too. Sometimes an image or a line just sticks in my brain and turns into a whole plot arc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEcH3lt7zs
"How your sweet lips would sing, saying I was a king
Whose crown had been stolen away
We'd get what was mine, just a little more time
A little more out of my pay"

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU