Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

Star Trek: Judgment Rites is the second of two adventure games and was released in 1993. I recently LP'd the first game, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, it's not required viewing but if you want to check it out you can find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887047

Just like in Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, this game is in episodic format and puts you in charge of Kirk on the Enterprise (NC-1701) as well as during away missions in various locations. On the Enterprise, you take command on the bridge and are in control of a variety of functions including tactical combat, communication and navigation. The away missions are a point and click adventure and there away multiple ways to progress through each one.

LP details

Each mission in this game is split into eight individual episodes. At the end of each mission, Starfleet Command gives you a rating of how well you have performed in the mission. In earlier versions of this game and in 25th Anniversary you were given a percentage rating. In this version of Judgment Rites you are told whether you have performed well, okay or if you are a terrible person and should feel terrible for doing terrible things (There's one mission in particular where this can happen.) The main playthrough of this LP will be for the "perfect" rating for each episode.

I will show off alternative scenarios and dialogue in bonus videos.

If you want to discuss or suggest anything that could be considered spoilers, please use the appropriate tags.

I'm going to aim for an update once every three days. As soon as I near the end of recording footage I will most likely update once every couple of days.

Let's Play Star Trek: Judgment Rites

Bonus Videos

Part 1 - 'Federation' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Communications with Bivander Zane, Communications with James Munroe, Communications with Dr. Breddell, Conversation with Menao Sheme, Trigger Happy Moments, Private Quarters, Crew Quarters, Ending Sequence 1 & 2, Chess Game: Stale Mate and Defeat, Ending Sequence 3, Conversation with Kamend, Ending Sequence 4, Hostile Security, Ending Sequence 5, 6 & 7, Conversation with Breddell, Ending Sequence 8, Killing Breddell, Letting Breddell Escape, Wrong Code, Alternate Ending.
Part 2 - 'Sentinel' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Scanner Room Interactions, Control Room Scan, Machinery Room Interactions, Control Room Panels, Vat Room Interactions, Feeding Room Interactions, Medical Room Interactions, Archive Room Interactions, More Scanner Room Interactions, More Control Room Interactions, More Vat Room Interactions, More Archive Room Interactions, Alternative Endings 1 & 2.
Part 3a - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Pre-Battle Communications with Trelane, Post-Battle Communications with Trelane, Prison Cell Interactions, First Street Interactions, Tavern Interactions, Back Room Interactions, Shoppe Interactions, Second Street Interactions, House Interactions.
Part 3b - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
School Interactions, Armory Interactions, Trench Interactions, More Back Room & Tavern Interactions, Airfield Interactions, Castle Interactions, Conversations With Trelane.
Part 3c - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Ending Sequences & Dialogue.
Part 4 - 'Light And Darkness' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Building Exterior Interactions, First Antenna Interactions, Second Antenna Interactions, Third Antenna Interactions, Building Interior Interactions, Alphan Room Interactions, Talking With Vizznr First, Omegan Room Interactions, Talking With Azrah First, Talking With Azrah Second, Talking With Vizznr Second, Conversations with Ensign Jons, Failure To Create Gammans, Gamman Room Interactions, Conversations With Cicissa, Alternate Ending.
Part 5 - 'Voids' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Bridge Interactions, Vurian Interactions, Communications With Scotty, Sick Bay Exterior Interactions, Transporter Room, Engine Room Interactions, Auxilary Room Interactions, Vurian Interactions Part 2, Conversations With Savant, Vurian Interactions Part 3, Conversations & Game Endings With Savant.
Part 6 - 'Museum Piece' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Sight-Seeing, Curator's Office Interactions, Cannon Room Interactions, Airlock Room Interactions, Crystal Room Interactions, Communications With Lucas, Ending Sequence, Alternate Ending (Transporter.)
Part 7 - 'Though This Be Madness....' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Communications With Starius, Communications With Klarr, Recreation Room Interactions, Play Room Interactions, Throne Room Interactions, Bedroom Interactions, Machine Room Interactions, Plant Room Interactions, Phays Room Interactions, More Machine Room Interactions, Feeding Time, More Play Room Interactions, Terminal Room Interactions.
Part 8 - 'Yet There Is Method In It' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
First Room Interactions, Second Room Interactions, Third Room Interactions, Fourth Room Interactions, Fifth Room Interactions, Sixth Room Interactions.
Part 9 - More Additional Scenes & Dialogue
'Federation' - Alternate Escape Route. 'No Man's Land' - Negative Encounters With Ellis & Card Shark Conversations. 'Voids' - A Failed Entry & More Fun With Gems. 'Though This Be Madness....' - Trigger Happy, Feeding Time & Trigger Happy Part Two. 'Yet There Is Method In It' - More Equation Room Interactions. Computer Entries - Suggested Search Entries.

whitehelm posted:

The Collectors Edition for this game had a bonus CD with the following:
Gene Roddenberry Interview
Leonard Nimoy Interview
Making of Judgement Rites hosted by Leonard Nimoy (contains a minor spoiler about the overall plot)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Oh no! Not generic engineering! Anything but that!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I hate getting shot at, too, Bones. Don't know that I'd be as nonchalant about it though.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 14, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ahh. Judgement Rites. Like the first game but basically quietly improved in every way. Better voice acting, superb mission design, a higher animation and cutscene budget, and a bunch of quality-of-life improvements (particularly to space combat).

You can chase down and kill that frigate, by the way, but it has no impact on your score.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Least-noticed change going from 25th Anniversary to Judgment Rites: The characters' mouths are lip-synched with their voice acting. Part of me thinks Majel Barrett should have been the game's narrator, but oh well.

Also, the music that plays in the brig area is "Second Kroy'kah," part of the infamous Kirk vs. Spock from the episode "Amok Time."

EDIT: Yes, the Sav-A-Ship Corporation made Harry Mudd's crummy life support generator back in "Another Fine Mess."

Snorb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 14, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Do you think Kirk shoved all three of the dummies down his pants, or did he split them up with the team, one dummy down each person's pants?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Hey, when you're a hero in a point and click adventure game, you have to know how to pack. (There's a worse example later that Kirk actually points out.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So fun fact: The cluebook for 25th came with a 100% walkthrough. JR's cluebook... does not. It comes with a guide for each episode but not necessarily the best route. A few years back I started writing a minimum action 100% for JR. I was doing this by watching someone else's 100% videos and then gradually eliminating any extra actions. I think I might have finished it? I still have the file and it has steps for the last mission.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Equally fun fact: The walkthrough from 25th Anniversary's hint book has the Enterprise lose the mock battle against the Republic. (Hey, I was pretty used to "Computer estimates the Enterprise's warp drives have overloaded and exploded" when I was younger.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Snorb posted:

Equally fun fact: The walkthrough from 25th Anniversary's hint book has the Enterprise lose the mock battle against the Republic. (Hey, I was pretty used to "Computer estimates the Enterprise's warp drives have overloaded and exploded" when I was younger.)

I had to go back and double check that and no it doesn't. The Step by step walkthrough actually starts with after you have beamed down to Pollox V. Even the "novelization" of the intro has them winning.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Out of the two games, this is the one I remember the least. I've finished the third mission, which took almost two hours, and it's been a blast so far. I'm having a couple of issues, one is minor and that's a rare occurrence of text\speech clipping. The other issue is the volume, the music seems even louder and the speech seems quieter than the first game. I've reduced the games audio down to 70% which seems acceptable for the most part, but there have been some scenes in which the music has been very bombastic.

Here is a PDF of the official Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Clue Book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rri8LwQaoj5axdEoYpzUcInpDxsAvaTn/view?usp=sharing

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Out of the two games, this is the one I remember the least. I've finished the third mission, which took almost two hours, and it's been a blast so far. I'm having a couple of issues, one is minor and that's a rare occurrence of text\speech clipping. The other issue is the volume, the music seems even louder and the speech seems quieter than the first game. I've reduced the games audio down to 70% which seems acceptable for the most part, but there have been some scenes in which the music has been very bombastic.

Here is a PDF of the official Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Clue Book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rri8LwQaoj5axdEoYpzUcInpDxsAvaTn/view?usp=sharing

It seems like what you're experiencing with the music volume, by the way, is an indirect consequence of the sound system revamp in newer versions of windows. In Windows XP and earlier, you could change the volume level of the windows midi device independently from the rest of your volume, but nowadays any midi that gets kicked to windows just gets output at 100%. Unless you've got some sort of specific sound card level support, or are doing something like running a virtual Roland MT-32 or something, it doesn't seem like a problem that can be fixed on a modern machine.

It'd be nice if you could set the midi volume in DOSBOX, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Olesh posted:

It seems like what you're experiencing with the music volume, by the way, is an indirect consequence of the sound system revamp in newer versions of windows. In Windows XP and earlier, you could change the volume level of the windows midi device independently from the rest of your volume, but nowadays any midi that gets kicked to windows just gets output at 100%. Unless you've got some sort of specific sound card level support, or are doing something like running a virtual Roland MT-32 or something, it doesn't seem like a problem that can be fixed on a modern machine.

It'd be nice if you could set the midi volume in DOSBOX, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason.

You can use a software MIDI synth like Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth, and use its mixer to set the volume. It also sounds a lot better than the default Windows MIDI samples depending on what soundfont you use.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

You can use a software MIDI synth like Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth, and use its mixer to set the volume. It also sounds a lot better than the default Windows MIDI samples depending on what soundfont you use.

Seconded. There are some great soundfonts too, ranging from Roland emulation to good old Adlib/Soundblaster OPL3.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll download it and check it out over the weekend.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Part two of two. In this episode, we get to see the dummies in action and the only casualty is the one character who deserved it the least.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I cracked up when the Vardaine wanted to file their Official Treachery Report. I have a feeling they're rather decent people aside from Bredell - too busy tied up in issuing official statements of their superiority to actually threaten anyone.

(The doctor himself being notably short and chubby is the perfect final touch).

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 16, 2019

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
There are no hints about how to solve the 3D chess game and end the diagnostic style, but I think playing too defensively stalemates the game and makes you replay it. If you play too aggressively, you still end the diagnostic cycle, but it hurts your mission score along with "An abysmal game, Captain. You have been mated. The diagnostic cycle has ended."

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Haven't watched the video yet, but definitely check out the MIDI stuff, it can be a tremendous improvement for old DOS stuff if you slot in some soundfont that's larger than most games from those days. I haven't had to use the equalizer for sound balance yet, but that may be because I've been playing Tie Fighter and there's no "too loud" for the music in Tie Fighter.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm starting to miss the percentage scoring system as it was an indicator of just how far off the mark you were. I've just completed episode four and achieved an "outstanding" rating. The only mistake that I think that I made was just doing something a little out of sequence.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I had the White Label re-release of Judgement Rites and it didn't come with the voice acting, it kept the percentage system.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

I had the White Label re-release of Judgement Rites and it didn't come with the voice acting, it kept the percentage system.

My first copies of both games were the white label re-releases. I'm pretty sure that they're still somewhere in my parents house. I decided to buy and play both games on Steam for convenience.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Leonard Nimoy Interview
Making of Judgement Rites hosted by Leonard Nimoy (contains a minor spoiler about the overall plot)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Just so you're aware, there are keyboard shortcuts to commands so you don't have to keep returning to the "golden boy" menu every time you want to do something.

T for talk
L for look
U for use
G for get

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

whitehelm posted:

Leonard Nimoy Interview

Thank you for the links, I've added them to the OP.

McNally posted:

Just so you're aware, there are keyboard shortcuts to commands so you don't have to keep returning to the "golden boy" menu every time you want to do something.

T for talk
L for look
U for use
G for get

I completely forgot about the keyboard commands during the away missions. I'll keep them in mind for when I try to re-record episode four this weekend.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

whitehelm posted:

Leonard Nimoy Interview

Oh yeah, I forgot I managed to find a sealed copy of the Collector's edition almost a year ago at a small library hosted con. I managed to get for like $15 or $20.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mateo360 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot I managed to find a sealed copy of the Collector's edition almost a year ago at a small library hosted con. I managed to get for like $15 or $20.

I bought one for like $20 at a comic book shop in Vermont in 2002.

Came with a VHS copy of Friday's Child.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the Enterprise is called in to assist with the investigation of a mysterious incident from a primitive planet. This is also the first part of an ongoing storyline in this game.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I just noticed Kirk's head moves like he's talking when the computer reads out from the database.

Maybe the computer doesn't have a voice?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This mission is slow-paced and subtle, leading the player carefully to the eventual conclusion. It is artfully done and something uniquely suited to the point and click genre. It reminded me of a particular sequence in The Mote in God's Eye.

I did spend that entire video mentally screaming for you to use the medical tricorder on everyone though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

I did spend that entire video mentally screaming for you to use the medical tricorder on everyone though.

I have a feeling that you may be doing the same in the second part too... I'll keep this in mind when I go back and record additional videos.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I knew I recognized Gellman's voice actor. It's Michael McConnohie! One of the old guard in the VA business. Check out his IMDb page because he's probably been in something you know.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

ArbitraryTA posted:

I knew I recognized Gellman's voice actor. It's Michael McConnohie! One of the old guard in the VA business. Check out his IMDb page because he's probably been in something you know.

He also did voice acting for a couple of characters in Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this episode. It took a few attempts to get this one cracked. Regarding the logic puzzle It is to do with the combined amount of sides on each row.

I'm going to push the upload schedule from every three days to every two days. Even though I haven't finished recording the main playthrough, I still have enough videos to last two and a half weeks if I upload one every other day. Last night I did a couple of test recordings of episode six, I think that I finally have it cracked. I intend to finish recording the main playthrough this weekend.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I always took that bit about the archive to be the game's subtle way of hinting that there was a way to recover it. I guess there wasn't one.

(And if I remember rightly, using the medical tricorder on the crew reveals that the pheromone is making them increasingly angry and aggressive).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Loxbourne posted:

I always took that bit about the archive to be the game's subtle way of hinting that there was a way to recover it. I guess there wasn't one.

(And if I remember rightly, using the medical tricorder on the crew reveals that the pheromone is making them increasingly angry and aggressive).

It makes sense when you consider Kirk's point about being tested: the data is probably sabotaged in some way to punish people acting on greed, so there probably isn't much point in grabbing it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, The Enterprise is sent to investigate an area of space where several starships have disappeared and they end up meeting an old friend.

This is the longest missions by far and so far one of my favourites of both games. This is the first of three videos. This mission was recorded in one session and I made a couple of small errors, but I felt that it went well enough to keep it as is.

The last action of this video, using the medkit on the beer, wasn't exactly a mistake. In the back of my head, I remembered that it needed to be done but was at the wrong moment and out of context.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This mission is a hilarious, gleeful high point...with a really hard edge once it gets going. Pretty much perfect Trek TOS, in other words.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Just a hunch, I'm wondering if scanning the beer kegs with Spock's tricorder has him give the exact "This is a fermented cereal" description McCoy gave without Ellis correcting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The last action of this video, using the medkit on the beer, wasn't exactly a mistake. In the back of my head, I remembered that it needed to be done but was at the wrong moment and out of context.

Not totally out of context, given that you found out that the kegs are on their way to the armory (which none of the soldiers ever leave) and that McCoy already remarked that Trelane hadn't taken the tranquilizers out of his medkit.