Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm definitely looking forward to going back and exploring this episode more when it comes to bonus footage. I'll definitely keep any suggestions in mind, I'll make sure to scan the kegs.

So far ive only completed two missions without a re-record and this is the first. Even with some of the mistakes that I made, I didn't want to stop as I was enjoying it so much.

I recorded the sixth mission this morning. That hit another high point for different reasons. I had forgotten just how drat good this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

When Cmdr. Ellis mentions that Kirk got one of his friends killed, he's referencing the TOS episode Obsession.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Part two of three. This episode is packed with rabid dog meat, the crew explore six new locations and speak to a variety of new people. They also engage in a bit of care for the community and are nice to some pets.

I recorded and edited the final mission this morning, the main playthrough is complete. Over the next week or two, I will be concentrating on bonus footage and it seems like there's going to be a lot of it.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Not totally out of context, given that you found out that the kegs are on their way to the armory (which none of the soldiers ever leave) and that McCoy already remarked that Trelane hadn't taken the tranquilizers out of his medkit.

You are indeed correct with this, thank you. Part of me just felt like I should have visited the armory first.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

In the school, you asked why everyone was speaking English. In this case, It's either because of Trelane being a colossal superpowered child, or, more simply, the fact that the Communicators in ST, even as far back as TOS, had universal translators as an industry standard.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm glad we got to help a dog in this episode. It's a nice change of pace from what we do to dogs in the Simon LPs.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've recorded additional scenes and dialogue from the first mission, I've managed to edit it down to a little under twenty-six minutes. I'll upload it alongside the next update.

ArchWizard posted:

I'm glad we got to help a dog in this episode. It's a nice change of pace from what we do to dogs in the Simon LPs.

I think that Spock would have a few things to say about disposing living creatures into dumpsters.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wonder why they chose to use the same character for a 1 that they do for a lower-case l in this game. Maybe they were really limited for the size data for the image used in the font.

Also I will never stop loving Shatner's pronunciation of "sabotage." It's the best.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The outtakes from this game were the source of Shatner's infamous rant about how to say "sabotage."

From the sounds of it, I think he recorded "Spock, sabotage the system." twice, once for each system in Espoir Station's shuttlebay. (Also from the sounds of it, Interplay needed better microphones.)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder why they chose to use the same character for a 1 that they do for a lower-case l in this game. Maybe they were really limited for the size data for the image used in the font.

Also I will never stop loving Shatner's pronunciation of "sabotage." It's the best.

A lot of fonts use the same character for 1 and l. It's a typewriter thing.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I think that Spock would have a few things to say about disposing living creatures into dumpsters.

"Captain, I do not think that container is meant to be used."

"The increase in our score indicates otherwise, Mr. Spock."

"That is logical, and yet not. This is quite distressing, Captain."

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The card sharps have some delightful cycling dialogue if you enter and return a few times (at least, they did in the floppy version I had, I don't know if all those lines will have been voiced). And the scene with Eckheart is where this episode starts to show its darker edge. I was downright angry with Trelane by the end.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The third and final part of this mission. I made a bit of a blunder in this video, I forgot to trigger the dialogue that gives hints on how to enter a certain location. This mission can end in a variety of ways, I decided to end this one quite poignantly.

The first of the Bonus Videos:

Part 1 - 'Federation' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Communications with Bivander Zane, Communications with James Munroe, Communications with Dr. Breddell, Conversation with Menao Sheme, Trigger Happy Moments, Private Quarters, Crew Quarters, Ending Sequence 1 & 2, Chess Game: Stale Mate and Defeat, Ending Sequence 3, Conversation with Kamend, Ending Sequence 4, Hostile Security, Ending Sequence 5, Ending Sequence 6 & 7, Conversation with Breddell, Ending Sequence 8, Breddell Escapes, Killing Breddell, Letting Breddell Escape, Wrong Code, Alternate Ending.

Loxbourne posted:

The card sharps have some delightful cycling dialogue if you enter and return a few times (at least, they did in the floppy version I had, I don't know if all those lines will have been voiced). And the scene with Eckheart is where this episode starts to show its darker edge. I was downright angry with Trelane by the end.

I spent around eight hours yesterday recording and editing bonus footage for this mission, I only caught a couple of conversations that I think were kept in the main playthrough. I didn't really think to go back in and out to see if any more triggered.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Snorb posted:

The outtakes from this game were the source of Shatner's infamous rant about how to say "sabotage."

From the sounds of it, I think he recorded "Spock, sabotage the system." twice, once for each system in Espoir Station's shuttlebay. (Also from the sounds of it, Interplay needed better microphones.)

As I recall, some unwise VO director tried to tell Shatner how to say “sabotage”, and the chaos only snowballed from there

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The first of the Bonus Videos:

Part 1 - 'Federation' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Communications with Bivander Zane, Communications with James Munroe, Communications with Dr. Breddell, Conversation with Menao Sheme, Trigger Happy Moments, Private Quarters, Crew Quarters, Ending Sequence 1 & 2, Chess Game: Stale Mate and Defeat, Ending Sequence 3, Conversation with Kamend, Ending Sequence 4, Hostile Security, Ending Sequence 5, Ending Sequence 6 & 7, Conversation with Breddell, Ending Sequence 8, Breddell Escapes, Killing Breddell, Letting Breddell Escape, Wrong Code, Alternate Ending.

If you have Spock screw around with the panel near the door in the security cell, you can escape that way at a cost to your mission rating.

Like the last game, if I had suggestions for things to look up in the computer, would it be cool to list those?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

If you have Spock screw around with the panel near the door in the security cell, you can escape that way at a cost to your mission rating.

Like the last game, if I had suggestions for things to look up in the computer, would it be cool to list those?

I didn't even know that there was a security panel in the cell.

Sure thing, I'll work on them in episode 4 or 5.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

The third and final part of this mission. I made a bit of a blunder in this video, I forgot to trigger the dialogue that gives hints on how to enter a certain location. This mission can end in a variety of ways, I decided to end this one quite poignantly.

I loved the bit with the chalkboard.

Frau Humperdinck: Fine, get that thing out of here.
Kirk: *side eyes Spock, then shoves the whole thing down his shirt*

It's almost as brilliant as figuring out where to put the giant Vardaine dummies.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Suggestions to look up in computer, though I doubt they're in the CD version, but still would be interesting to see some of the TOS callbacks:

* James T. Kirk
* Spock
* Montgomery Scott
* Nyota Uhura
* Hikaru Sulu
* Pavel Chekov (Mostly to see if the computer still thinks he's Richard Daystrom)
* Leonard McCoy
* Janice Rand
* Christine Chapel (also played by Majel Barrett)
* Zephram Cochrane
* USS Enterprise
* Phaser
* Photon Torpedo
* Tricorder
* Ceti Alpha V
* Khan Noonien Singh
* Marla McGivers
* Carol Marcus
* David Marcus (doubtful; I don't think he's done anything noteworthy considering he's still a kid in 2269.)
* Saavik
* Edith Keeler
* The Guardian of Forever
* Sarek (maybe "Amanda Grayson" too?)
* Sybok (yeah, right, like we're gonna get a Star Trek V reference ever.)
* Bivander Zane
* Storm class
* Elasi Cereth (who, at this point, is literally "either dead or in jail" depending on how you handled him in "Hijacked")
* Nimbus III (see above)
* David McCoy (same)
* Harry Mudd (or "Harcourt Fenton Mudd")
* Tribble
* Cyrano Jones
* Horta
* Ies Breddell (and his son Vas Breddell)
* Menao Sheme (and his father Vakata Sheme)
* Walter Ellis
* Gretel Gernsbeck
* Trelane (now that we know he's in the game!)
* Gothos
* World War One (alternately, "World War I," "First World War," "the Great War," "WWI")
* World War Two ("World War II," "Second World War," "WWII")
* Fokker DR-1
* Germany

Snorb fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 27, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sweet Jesus, I might have to put this in a seperate video along with anything I've missed that people have pointed out.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
* Starfllee
* Earth

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I loved the bit with the chalkboard.

Frau Humperdinck: Fine, get that thing out of here.
Kirk: *side eyes Spock, then shoves the whole thing down his shirt*

It's almost as brilliant as figuring out where to put the giant Vardaine dummies.

That cracked me up, too. "Just gonna fold this up and stick it in a pocket dimension, no worries here."

What an episode! Beginning with a battle against an honest-to-goodness tri-plane and ending with a quiet reflection on the horrors of war. I assume it goes down much differently if you admit you cheated? (Also what is the gun used for?)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Sweet Jesus, I might have to put this in a seperate video along with anything I've missed that people have pointed out.

Sorry, RBD, I just like my Trek lore ;_;

Trelane saying "Not a liar, just misinformed. Use the memory banks of the Enterprise, Trelane. Recreate what's in there-- war at its most realistic and terrifying!" in Kirk's voice most definitely sounds like an audio file attached to the wrong dialogue line. (And yeah, Kirk's "Look at the proud soldiers celebrating the glory of war!" is definitely coming off ironic.)

(And now that I've watched the video, I was fully expecting "I'll tell you what, Trelane, you can keep the Enterprise" to be a game over.)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

That cracked me up, too. "Just gonna fold this up and stick it in a pocket dimension, no worries here."

What an episode! Beginning with a battle against an honest-to-goodness tri-plane and ending with a quiet reflection on the horrors of war. I assume it goes down much differently if you admit you cheated? (Also what is the gun used for?)

The rifle? I used it at the end of the second No Man's Land episode to threaten the Commander to sign the papers.

I think that's the only useful thing that you can do with it and you don't even have to do it. I did play around with it while I recorded bonus footage. I got the most mileage out of the Schnapps.

Snorb posted:

Sorry, RBD, I just like my Trek lore ;_;

Trelane saying "Not a liar, just misinformed. Use the memory banks of the Enterprise, Trelane. Recreate what's in there-- war at its most realistic and terrifying!" in Kirk's voice most definitely sounds like an audio file attached to the wrong dialogue line. (And yeah, Kirk's "Look at the proud soldiers celebrating the glory of war!" is definitely coming off ironic.)

(And now that I've watched the video, I was fully expecting "I'll tell you what, Trelane, you can keep the Enterprise" to be a game over.)

No need to apologise, I'm very happy to receive suggestions.

Theres a second, shorter, ending to this mission which suffers with another glitched audio line.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I don't remember, did McCoy use his medical tricorder on Sheme when you first meet him? We learn Vardane genetic engineering has some pretty ugly side-effects.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The rifle? [...] I did play around with it while I recorded bonus footage. I got the most mileage out of the Schnapps.

Please tell me you used the rifle and the schnapps on everyone in Gothos (including Trelane!)

Also please tell me you picked the dialogue choices that pissed Ellis off the most on every screen.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

I don't remember, did McCoy use his medical tricorder on Sheme when you first meet him? We learn Vardane genetic engineering has some pretty ugly side-effects.

I don't think that I used the tricorder on Sheme. I will add it to the compilation video after the main playthrough.

Snorb posted:

Please tell me you used the rifle and the schnapps on everyone in Gothos (including Trelane!)

Also please tell me you picked the dialogue choices that pissed Ellis off the most on every screen.

I showed off all the dialogue choices. Looking back now, I didn't see what happened if I chose them from start to end. I'm guessing that there's different dialogue during the ending sequence too.

I'll do some additional recording in a few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 27, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Loxbourne posted:

Don't remember if it was on Sheme or not but McCoy did note at some point that Vardaine physiology is mostly plastic.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Don't remember if it was on Sheme or not but McCoy did note at some point that Vardaine physiology is mostly plastic.

It was the Guards in the Security room

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the Enterprise is sent to answer a distress call on a barren planet and discover that it's not as abandoned as once thought. This is a continuation of the story arc that was started in "Sentinel."

Speaking of "Sentinel," here is the bonus video for it:

Part 2 - 'Sentinel' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Scanner Room Interactions, Control Room Interactions, Machinery Room Interactions, Control Room Panels, Vat Room Interactions, Feeding Room Interactions, Medical Room Interactions, Archive Room Interactions, More Scanner Room Interactions, More Control Room Interactions, More Vat Room Interactions, More Archive Room Interactions, Alternative Endings 1 & 2.

If I have missed anything, please let me know. I have recorded the alternate escape plan from "Federation," as well as the Card Players conversations and pissing off Ellis in "No Man's Land."

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 29, 2019

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

In this episode, the Enterprise is sent to answer a distress call on a barren planet and discover that it's not as abandoned as once thought. This is a continuation of the story arc that was started in "Sentinel."

Speaking of "Sentinel," here is the bonus video for it:

Part 2 - 'Sentinel' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Scanner Room Interactions, Control Room Interactions, Machinery Room Interactions, Control Room Panels, Vat Room Interactions, Feeding Room Interactions, Medical Room Interactions, Archive Room Interactions, More Scanner Room Interactions, More Control Room Interactions, More Vat Room Interactions, More Archive Room Interactions, Alternative Endings 1 & 2.

If I have missed anything, please let me know. I have recorded the alternate escape plan from "Federation," as well as the Card Players conversations and pissing off Ellis in "No Man's Land."

That last alternate ending is pretty great. "They're coming right for us!"

I am intrigued by the goings-on in this new episode. I like how you have to use the communicator to solve some of the problems, I can't remember them doing that in a puzzle before.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
When I first saw this mission I wondered if we had an "A Taste of Armageddon" scenario on our hands. It doesn't go that way, but the bleak tone does get to you after a while. Very much the Judgement Rites equivalent of 25A's 6th episode, a short puzzle-heavy mission that rewards lateral thinking.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this mission. We finally start to understand more of what is going on and who is behind it all.

Bonus Videos

I've split these up into three parts. The first two videos are the majority of what was missed from the main playthrough. There will be another video after the main playthrough is complete containing other things that I have missed. The third video is all the dialogue pathways and ending sequence from the last conversation(s) with Trelane, there are a lot of them!

Part 3a - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Pre-Battle Communications with Trelane, Post-Battle Communications with Trelane, Prison Cell Interactions, First Street Interactions, Tavern Interactions, Back Room Interactions, Shoppe Interactions, Second Street Interactions, House Interactions.
Part 3b - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
School Interactions, Armory Interactions, Trench Interactions, More Back Room & Tavern Interactions, Airfield Interactions, Castle Interactions, Conversations With Trelane.
Part 3c - 'No Man's Land' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Ending Sequences & Dialogue.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 2, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So the Green GiantsTM are called Brassicans? *groan*

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dude! Ensign Jons is, like, right there while you're bollocking him for the log. Sheesh, Kirk.

(And yes it was a nice touch to have a puzzle centered around your own crewman's beliefs. I caught on pretty quickly as a child but figuring out how to call him out was the hard bit).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Considering he should be standing infront of a judge explaining himself I'd say a tongue lashing on the bridge is getting off easy.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Kirk on biology: "...the fetuses growing into embryos, then developing into infants." And no one corrected him.

There's also something special about them discussing the projections running at 1000FPS when they're being shown to us at more like 4 or 5.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Considering he should be standing infront of a judge explaining himself I'd say a tongue lashing on the bridge is getting off easy.

Star Trek never really got religion: even in this case, there was an angel with four loving faces, and every one had four wings shaped impossibly forward, so the vaguely Christian guy should be aware that angels can look hella creepy if he cares enough about faith to deserve a pass for the whole attempted genocide thing.

Which is funny, because deciding the genetic future of an entire race seems like the kind of thing the Prime Directive would actually want to stop: especially since their weird reproductive rate and questionable sentience makes them seem more like a virus than an actual race.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Melaneus posted:

Kirk on biology: "...the fetuses growing into embryos, then developing into infants." And no one corrected him.

There's also something special about them discussing the projections running at 1000FPS when they're being shown to us at more like 4 or 5.

Alas, our puny 21st century eyes can only process that much at once. If only we had the advanced tech and society of the 23rd century. Though preferably not the garish colors.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, The Enterprise is sent to chart the Antares Rift. It is a particularly dangerous region of space where the normal laws of Space-Time are shifting and chaotic. As you can imagine, the crew have a relaxing time and enjoy themselves immensely.

Bonus Video for Light And Darkness. A couple of days ago I spent a few hours recording the bonus footage for episodes four too eight. Nothing even comes close to the amount of content that was in No Man's Land. I accidentally left a clip of a conversation with Vizznr in between conversations with Azrah, which was a slight lack of vigilance during editing. Hopefully, it doesn't break up the flow too much.

Part 4 - 'Light And Darkness' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Building Exterior Interactions, First Antenna Interactions, Second Antenna Interactions, Third Antenna Interactions, Building Interior Interactions, Alphan Room Interactions, Talking With Vizznr First, Omegan Room Interactions, Talking With Azrah First, Talking With Azrah Second, Talking With Vizznr Second, Conversations with Ensign Jons, Failure To Create Gammans, Gamman Room Interactions, Conversations With Cicissa, Alternate Ending.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's so nice how competent the Enterprise crew are depicted in this episode. And the attention to detail from the original show is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Bonus footage part 3A gives me "this video is unavailable".