Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Loxbourne posted:

It's so nice how competent the Enterprise crew are depicted in this episode. And the attention to detail from the original show is lovely.

I found this game a massive improvement over the 25th Anniversary. The variety of missions and the mixture of away teams makes it even more of a pleasure to play. It's a shame that the third game was cancelled.

turol posted:

Bonus footage part 3A gives me "this video is unavailable".

Thank you for letting me know, I've fixed the link now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It's a shame that the third game was cancelled.

Would that have been Secret of Vulcan Fury? One of the sad casualties of Interplay going under. Somewhere there's an alternate universe where that game was released, and I want it! :argh:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The worst part about Secret of Vulcan Fury's cancellation is that I think the voice acting was fully-recorded and is just sitting in an archive on someone's computer somewhere.

(Speaking of voice acting, I think Interplay left a placeholder piece of VA in when Kirk's talking to Azrah in the bonus footage. It sounds like Viznrr's voice actor was reading the dialogue "Meet us and the Alphans halfway" instead of Shatner. I know there's a couple of lines of dialogue for Uhura read by a Nichelle Nichols soundalike, too.)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That alternate ending/game over for Of Light and Darkness is rough. Getting poo poo on by two different Admirals? Woof. I do morbidly enjoy how their reaction is worse than if you condemn the Balkosi. Whatever you do, don't disappoint the Admiralty...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

thetruegentleman posted:

Star Trek never really got religion: even in this case, there was an angel with four loving faces, and every one had four wings shaped impossibly forward, so the vaguely Christian guy should be aware that angels can look hella creepy if he cares enough about faith to deserve a pass for the whole attempted genocide thing.

Which is funny, because deciding the genetic future of an entire race seems like the kind of thing the Prime Directive would actually want to stop: especially since their weird reproductive rate and questionable sentience makes them seem more like a virus than an actual race.

It was quite obviously a test, though: The two different uni-cellular colonies were quite obviously genetically engineered, all of the equipment needed to merge them was conveniently on hand, and the projections were obviously AI-driven holograms.

Finishing the test was what they had to do, otherwise how else could they learn about the beings that set it up?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

McNally posted:

Finishing the test was what they had to do, otherwise how else could they learn about the beings that set it up?

By having Spock look up "Brassicans" in his library computer, of course! :v:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Snorb posted:

By having Spock look up "Brassicans" in his library computer, of course! :v:

Ah, but didn't they only get that name AFTER they finished the test?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

McNally posted:

Ah, but didn't they only get that name AFTER they finished the test?

I suppose it would be a bit much for Interplay to put a "Hey, no cheating! You're not supposed to have this information yet!" flag in the game.

Anyway, the narrator's line about Chekov having gone through fifty tests in sickbay was a reference to the episode "The Deadly Years," which gave him two hilariously grouchy lines of dialogue about it.

The Deadly Years posted:

CHEKOV: "Blood sample, Chekov!" "Marrow sample, Chekov!" "Skin sample, Chekov!" If-- if-- I live long enough, I'm going to run out of samples!
SULU: You'll live.
CHEKOV: Oh, yes, I'll live, but I won't enjoy it!

The Deadly Years posted:

McCOY: Now, this isn't going to hurt a bit.
CHEKOV: That's what you said last time.
McCOY: Did it hurt?
CHEKOV: Yes!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The voice acting for Secret Of Vulcan Fury was reported to be fully recorded. It was DeForest Kelley's last ever time acting as the character of McCoy and it will most likely never see the light of day.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just want to echo how much better Judgement Rites is, compared to 25th Anniversary, which is by no means a poor game in any way. But this time around, the writers really stepped up their game, and the inter-personal banter is a thing of beauty :allears:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh Wow, I just realized you could scan the Vurian immediately. I always got ejected and had to do the alternate solution of phasering a hole in the door to do a scan. I feel kind of silly trying to talk to it first now.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Quicksilver6 posted:

Oh Wow, I just realized you could scan the Vurian immediately. I always got ejected and had to do the alternate solution of phasering a hole in the door to do a scan. I feel kind of silly trying to talk to it first now.

Talking to it is almost everybody's first instinct.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Somehow I completely missed this LP, and the one before it. I had this game as a kid, but never could beat the second mission. That logic puzzle with the shapes completely baffled me as a kid.

Looks like a pretty solid point-and-click adventure game.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I know it's semi-bad form to ask "what's next" on an ongoing LP, but for the Star Trek theme you've been on RBD, have you thought about Star Trek: Rebel Universe as a possible addition/capstone/intermission?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

inscrutable horse posted:

Just want to echo how much better Judgement Rites is, compared to 25th Anniversary, which is by no means a poor game in any way. But this time around, the writers really stepped up their game, and the inter-personal banter is a thing of beauty :allears:

"You know it just wouldn't be the Enterprise without a crisis."

Sulu speaks with hard-won wisdom there.

Thanks for doing this LP, I've never played this game, just 25th Anniversary. This is such an improvement!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

I didn't even know that was even a thing, I'll add it to the post-LP video.

Bootcha posted:

I know it's semi-bad form to ask "what's next" on an ongoing LP, but for the Star Trek theme you've been on RBD, have you thought about Star Trek: Rebel Universe as a possible addition/capstone/intermission?

The last time that I played Rebel Universe was around 25 years ago on my old Atari ST. I'm not planning to LP it currently, maybe one day in the long term but at the moment I have a planned list that will keep me busy for quite some time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this mission. In this episode, we discover Ensign Walker's first name. We also follow the Vurian to wherever the hell it disappeared too and if Spock is also there it will be a nice bonus.

Bonus Video:

Part 5 - 'Voids' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Bridge Interactions, Vurian Interactions, Communications With Scotty, Sick Bay Exterior Interactions, Transporter Room, Engine Room Interactions, Auxilary Room Interactions, Vurian Interactions Part 2, Conversations With Savant, Vurian Interactions Part 3, Conversations & Game Endings With Savant.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 8, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Uh... wow, the stakes kind of skyrocketed there. A test to meet an alien race to Possibly undoing the fabric of the universe itself! I feel like this should have been an earlier episode before you got started on the Brassica questline.

E: Overly-Friendly Kirk is the funniest thing, even with the flat delivery. Also I think you forgot to use the individual stones by themselves on the crew and Kirk. Sulu has the best delivery and Walker gets spooked a couple times.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 4, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

E: Overly-Friendly Kirk is the funniest thing, even with the flat delivery. Also I think you forgot to use the individual stones by themselves on the crew and Kirk. Sulu has the best delivery and Walker gets spooked a couple times.

I did try a couple of things and got repeated lines but I wasn't too vigilant. I'll give it another try tomorrow evening and I'll be more thorough. Thank you for the suggestion.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It seems like I missed out on a few things:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh my!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the crew of The Enterprise are finally on their way to Nova Atar for some much-needed shore leave. While in transit, they are asked to attend a small function at a lovely museum on the planet. Some of the senior members enjoy some fine alcohol and see some lovely exhibitions.

I really enjoyed this mission, the away team and the interactions were definite highlights.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 6, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If Pavel gets that phaser cannon up and running again, would it be considered Chekov's Gun?

:heysexy:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Yes. Yes it would.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this video, this was fun to explore and interact with. It took several attempts to get right for the perfect ending, the final dialogue tree is long and can easily repeat in places. The alternate way of ending this mission is in the bonus video below:

Part 6 - 'Museum Piece' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Sight-Seeing, Curator's Office Interactions, Cannon Room Interactions, Airlock Room Interactions, Crystal Room Interactions, Communications With Lucas, Ending Sequence, Alternate Ending (Transporter.)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
"Look but don't touch, Captain!" chides Scotty as he steps over the giant pile of debris we created after blasting open the door and demolishing the room.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Scotty's "Well, since we can't fix the phaser cannon, and we have all the parts around to make a mass driver, let's do it!" is pretty on-par considering how he's said to have nearly beaten the Kobayashi Maru exam in the books.

The short version: He studied what was known of the Klingon D7 blueprints, and he had his crew target weak spots on the hull and shields with the simulator's phasers and photon torpedoes. He weaponized the transporters, beaming Klingons and D7 parts into space. Every time he disabled two vessels, the simulator spawned three more.

The real engineering genius came in when his tactical officer reported that the ship was out of photon torpedoes. His response was "So, what else do we have aboard that we can turn into a bomb?" and started beaming those aboard Klingon ships.

If I remember, the Academy staff killed the simulator because he wound up crippling or destroying enough ships to summon the entire Klingon Defense Force, and the simulator was in danger of crashing. (They told him he was unfit for command because he was using theoretical knowledge instead of practical knowledge, but that was fine as far as he was concerned; after all, he's an engineer, not a starship captain!)

For reference, Chekov's solution was to autodestruct his own ship to keep it out of the Klingons' hands, and Sulu's was to destroy the Kobayashi Maru itself and get the hell out of the Neutral Zone. Spock and McCoy never took the test, and Kirk famously cheated, in the academic vernacular changed the parameters of the test.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll take "Completely missing the point of the Kobayashi Maru and using it as a yardstick for how badass a character is" for 600 spacebucks.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I'll take "Completely missing the point of the Kobayashi Maru and using it as a yardstick for how badass a character is" for 600 spacebucks.

Me, Scotty (who never wanted to be in command school anyway), Sulu (who was having an argument with his terminally-ill grandfather at the time), or Julia Ecklar (the author of The Kobayashi Maru)?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snorb posted:

Me, Scotty (who never wanted to be in command school anyway), Sulu (who was having an argument with his terminally-ill grandfather at the time), or Julia Ecklar (the author of The Kobayashi Maru)?

Julia Ecklar.

The point of the Kobayashi Maru in WoK is that it's a metaphor for death: the no-win scenario, and its purpose in-setting is to gauge how a captain deals with a situation where they'll surely die. In-setting, 'beating' the Kobayashi Maru completely defeats the point of the test because it's a psychological evaluation. Out of setting, Kirk cheating to beat the Kobayashi Maru is a metaphor for how he's never really faced death. He's always managed to cheat and think his way out of crisis. But this time, there's no escape and death is the only way out - if not for Kirk, then as it happens for Spock.

The entire message of Wrath of Khan is voiced by Kirk himself after Valeris goes through the test: "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?"

Turning the Kobayashi Maru into a "Here's how badass the character is!" fluff stick, like JJ Abrams did, utterly misses the point of Wrath in general and the Kobayashi Maru itself in particular.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Snorb posted:

If I remember, the Academy staff killed the simulator because he wound up crippling or destroying enough ships to summon the entire Klingon Defense Force, and the simulator was in danger of crashing. (They told him he was unfit for command because he was using theoretical knowledge instead of practical knowledge, but that was fine as far as he was concerned; after all, he's an engineer, not a starship captain!)

It's a little sillier and more awesome than this. Y'see, he uses the transporter bomb technique to beam explosives into certain weak spots in the D7s' shields, making each ship explode as soon as it comes into transporter range. But the simulation computer duly obeys its command to make the scenario unwinnable by spawning more Klingon ships every time the last one blows up. It gets up to spawning 15 at a time before the "dead" students on the bridge start laughing and the officers running the simulator order it shut down.

At the end the cadet crew cheer Cadet Scott for destroying the entire KDF....but he is duly failed and ordered to report to the Academy provost for disciplinary action. The "theoretical" bit, the instructor informs the other cadets coldly, is because that transporter/shield interaction trick doesn't work in the "real" world. It's a known bug in the simulator software. Scotty just exploited it when he realised the scenario was rigged to counter every possible solution, to make it clear he could pull that kind of bullshit too.

(And the removal from the command program is actually a backdoor commendation - he'd been requesting it but his aged aunt or somesuch had been blocking all his transfer attempts because she wanted her boy to be a Starfleet captain. So he was "expelled" and allowed to switch to Engineering with no actual reprimand or loss of credits).

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The second and final part of this video, this was fun to explore and interact with. It took several attempts to get right for the perfect ending, the final dialogue tree is long and can easily repeat in places.

This episode is a delight! Doohan and Koenig get a lot of fun dialogue and they somehow managed to work in a 2001 reference as well.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Loxbourne posted:

The "theoretical" bit, the instructor informs the other cadets coldly, is because that transporter/shield interaction trick doesn't work in the "real" world. It's a known bug in the simulator software. Scotty just exploited it when he realised the scenario was rigged to counter every possible solution, to make it clear he could pull that kind of bullshit too.

You're missing the best part! The paper exploring (and debunking) the theory that you could set off an explosive at the juncture of the shields and cause them to critically overload was written by one M. Scott, who built a series of replica Klingon shield generators in his back yard.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

gently caress you Admiral Cain, my gas bomb got the situation resolved quickly and with no fatalities AND make the federation look pretty cool to boot!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

By popular demand posted:

gently caress you Admiral Cain, my gas bomb got the situation resolved quickly and with no fatalities AND make the federation look pretty cool to boot!

Captain, your navigator's DNA is unwinding itself like spaghetti thanks to that transporter.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ahhh... maybe he'll be better for it? :eyepop:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Snorb posted:

Captain, your navigator's DNA is unwinding itself like spaghetti thanks to that transporter.

It was doing that anyways. Come on, it’s Chekov!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

His speech patterns will remain the same.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, The Enterprise is ordered to the Klingon Neutral Zone to intercept and communicate with an unknown alien ship after it announces it's intent to land on top of a Klingon colony.

This video is the first of four parts and is the penultimate episode of the ongoing storyline. Although 'No Man's Land' was packed full of optional content, this mission was longer to play straight with much less optional content.

I did a couple of test recordings of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger over the weekend. I feel confident to start it properly once this LP has wrapped up.

Edit: I was going to start the Simon The Sorcerer 5 LP soon, but if I can get something else Trek working in the next couple of days I might start that instead as it's going to be a short one.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I don’t think I ever went to the Romulan distress call. None of that was familiar.