Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

mateo360 posted:

I don’t think I ever went to the Romulan distress call. None of that was familiar.

What, you don't go hurtling into hostile territory chasing suspicious distress calls at the drop of a hat? It's like you aren't a Starfleet captain at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

What, you don't go hurtling into hostile territory chasing suspicious distress calls at the drop of a hat? It's like you aren't a Starfleet captain at all.

Hey, Starfleet has a rule that you never ignore distress calls! (Even if they're Klingon or Romulan.)

As for the dialogue, I think some of it (especially for "Though This Be Madness", but it's definitely in other episodes in the game) was either trimmed down from the original script, condensed and rephrased, or adlibbed, though not to the degree of the three Mordavian merchants in Quest For Glory IV. There's at least one dialogue line in this mission where DeForest Kelley audibly bungles it, laughs, and gives it a second try.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

thetruegentleman posted:

Snorb posted:

Hey, Starfleet has a rule that you never ignore distress calls! (Even if they're Klingon or Romulan.)

Pretty much this. Nothing happens to you if you refuse the distress call. You also get the same results if you share information or flat out refuse too. If anything, at least its extra content and dialogue.

Snorb posted:

As for the dialogue, I think some of it (especially for "Though This Be Madness", but it's definitely in other episodes in the game) was either trimmed down from the original script, condensed and rephrased, or adlibbed, though not to the degree of the three Mordavian merchants in Quest For Glory IV. There's at least one dialogue line in this mission where DeForest Kelley audibly bungles it, laughs, and gives it a second try.

I'm not sure if I missed the fluffed line or that I just became immune to how much the cast took liberty on the script. If I remember correctly, this episode especially had a lot of shortened or ad libbed lines.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been trying to work out how space combat works and I've finally given up. How do you know where the enemy is when they're not onscreen? Is there anything you can do to defend yourself? Is there any strategy other than shooting them faster than they shoot you?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You use the radar to find them which is the console in front of Kirk. You can also lock on to enemies in Judgement Rites which helps torpedoes hit enemies, but I don’t think RBD has been doing that for some reason. Combat is pretty simple, you phaser and photon your enemy until they die or flee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

You use the radar to find them which is the console in front of Kirk.

Oh! I hadn't even looked down there. I was looking at the stuff directly around the main screen trying to figure out if any of it had any significance.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Quicksilver6 posted:

You can also lock on to enemies in Judgement Rites which helps torpedoes hit enemies, but I don’t think RBD has been doing that for some reason. Combat is pretty simple, you phaser and photon your enemy until they die or flee.

I had to go look in my manual about this cause I didn't think there was a lock on. Here is what it says:

manual posted:

Weapons Lock (Hot key = L)
Checkov can initiate weapons lock. After activating weapons lock, one of the ships on the viewscreen will have a yellow targeting square on it. After tracking it for approximately 3 seconds it will turn red. Once red, all weapons will fire at the target no matter where the cursor is pointed. This is only valid when a target is on the viewscreen. If the target is off the viewscreen, the weapons lock will not track it. Note that the target lock does not guarantee a hit. The faster an opponent is moving and the farther away it is, the less accurate the system will be.

Basically it's an aim assist but if the enemy is on your viewscreen long enough for the target lock to have any effect, you might as well already be shooting them manually.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One other thing that hasn't come up in the videos for either game; if the Enterprise's nacelles take too much damage during combat, the ship loses power. You'll know this happens when Scotty shouts "The shields are falling!" and "Our weapons are offline!" (You'll also know this happens when the mouse buttons stop firing phasers and torpedoes, and the yellow glow on the ship status panel immediately vanishes.)

When this happens, hit E as soon as possible to pull up Emergency Power. This gives you about a minute's worth of backup power-- hopefully long enough to have Scotty fix the engines (and whatever else needs repairs.) Ideally, though, as soon as the power readouts (the two horizontal yellow bars on the monitor above the bridge viewscreen) hit about 1/4 their usual length, call for Emergency Power and start having Scotty fix poo poo.

This is under normal combat circumstances; botching the copy protection and having to deal with four Klingon D7s or four Romulan Birds of Prey is not "normal circumstances."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'll go into more details after I finish work. I am aware of the lock on but decided against using it after testing it out a couple of times.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

mateo360 posted:

I had to go look in my manual about this cause I didn't think there was a lock on. Here is what it says:

Basically it's an aim assist but if the enemy is on your viewscreen long enough for the target lock to have any effect, you might as well already be shooting them manually.

This is more useful if you make expand the viewscreen to fullscreen by hitting V. Naturally, this being 1991, this removes all of the hud indicators. Ah, the 90s... When f9 f10 and f11 were critical ship function keys (in tie fighter, those adjusted shield and weapon recharge rates. Also pretty much EVERY SINGLE KEYBOARD KEY did something, most of them not useful).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Phasers fire quickly and the projectiles move fast. I think they have a longer range too.

Torpedoes load more slowly and move more slowly when fired but do a lot more damage. I think they do more damage to hull as well once a target's shields are down (this is why the three-torpedo Elasi frigate isn't that dangerous so long as you keep your shields up).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I've been trying to work out how space combat works and I've finally given up. How do you know where the enemy is when they're not onscreen? Is there anything you can do to defend yourself? Is there any strategy other than shooting them faster than they shoot you?

As someone has explained and from your response, you now know about the radar screen. Your defences are pretty much your shields and your speed, it was explained more in the 25th Anniversary thread, but as there hasn't been a lot of combat in this game I didn't really think about bringing it here. I played this game on the easy setting as I didn't want to spend too much time in combat, I also didn't want to switch off combat as it takes away content from the game. On easy mode you can pretty much sit still and plough the enemy ship with phasers and torpedoes as fast as you possibly can. If you want a challenge there is a hard mode, you'd probably be seeing something like this a lot more:

The speed settings come into play more with harder enemies, mainly as it means you can fly at speed away from enemy ships to give you more time to repair the systems. You can also slow down to a stop to concentrate your firepower for longer, but it means that you'll be a sitting duck for enemy fire too. The tactics mostly remain the same in regards to shooting them faster and more accurately than they do with you. The left and right-hand monitors next to the viewscreen indicate what systems are damaged, the fuzzy screen is also a clear indicator that the sensors have been damaged. You can also see in this image and in the next image the different states of the shields.

Thankfully, Scotty repairs the ship in general while combat is ensuing so you don't have to micro-manage too much. You can direct Scotty to concentrate on a specific area though if you wish as an enemy ship can take down your shields, weapons and/or sensors. I don't think that there's anything else I can really add without getting too involved.

Quicksilver6 posted:

You use the radar to find them which is the console in front of Kirk. You can also lock on to enemies in Judgement Rites which helps torpedoes hit enemies, but I don’t think RBD has been doing that for some reason. Combat is pretty simple, you phaser and photon your enemy until they die or flee.

I didn't really find the Weapons Lock particularly useful, you can try to snipe with photons from a medium to long distance but 99% of the time they miss because of their slow speed. It predicts the flight path and fires a photon in an attempt to intercept the ship, but the ship generally manoeuvres long before it reaches. As Quicksilver6 said, at close range, the fullscreen view probably has more use for it but it's not really necessary.

While taking these screenshots I also recorded some more content for the post-LP bonus footage, I forgot to record what happens when you travel to the wrong locations.

Finally, here's a bonus image. I've just installed and loaded this up very briefly, it sounds like total rear end right now:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Episode two out of four. This is the shortest of them all as it was the only places that I could cut between two lengthy dialogues. In this video, the crew explores three new rooms and speaks to several new people. Some of the bonus footage from the first room is lovely, it was also fun trying to use the teddy bear on different objects too. In the third room, I solved a puzzle without much logic behind it, I eventually found the logic while recording the bonus footage.

You need to use the blocks on the scanner in the second room

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

In the third room, I solved a puzzle without much logic behind it, I eventually found the logic while recording the bonus footage.

It's always a dilemma in games like this. If you let players solve puzzles without having heard the explanation first, you risk stuff not making any sense if they stumble on the solution too early. If you make them find the explanation before solving the puzzle then you risk annoying players who already figured out the solution from other clues. In this case though there really doesn't seem to be any reason for Kirk to do what he did, so making it impossible to solve the puzzle without knowing why would probably have been a good choice.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's always a dilemma in games like this. If you let players solve puzzles without having heard the explanation first, you risk stuff not making any sense if they stumble on the solution too early. If you make them find the explanation before solving the puzzle then you risk annoying players who already figured out the solution from other clues. In this case though there really doesn't seem to be any reason for Kirk to do what he did, so making it impossible to solve the puzzle without knowing why would probably have been a good choice.

I agree with this if there's some clear logic behind it. There are some puzzles in this game which can only be solved by doing certain actions. There's a couple of examples in Museum Piece. You can only build the makeshift launcher after trying the door first. And you can only build the radio after Kirk's speech while examining the crystal.

I still don't really follow the logic of building blocks being plant food though.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 13, 2019

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
The made the play blocks out of nutrient paste because toddlers love to stick things in their mouth.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Felinoid posted:

The made the play blocks out of nutrient paste because toddlers love to stick things in their mouth.

Where I come from they're usually made out of plastic or wood.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Where I come from they're usually made out of plastic or wood.

Where you come from they probably don't scan you daily and then pump you full of drugs based on the scan. At least I bloody well hope not.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Episode three out of four and the crew finally find out just what is going on. This video is very dialogue heavy, the first twenty minutes are spent in one room and it's pretty much all talk.

I've recorded some more bonus footage. I skipped some dialogue when I was recording bonus footage for the eighth mission, hindsight made me double check and I had missed some unique dialogue. The computer entry requests have been recorded, I've only included the entries that worked. I've also started to record a playthrough of Harbinger and have gotten Klingon into a workable state.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Man, the Brassica are kind of a bunch of horrible assholes for sending all these people out into space and almost landing on a colony just for a test. Do they ever consider how dickish their behavior is?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

Man, the Brassica are kind of a bunch of horrible assholes for sending all these people out into space and almost landing on a colony just for a test. Do they ever consider how dickish their behavior is?

If you really want a non-spoilery spoiler... There's one more "mission" left to go. I wouldn't raise your hope too high.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"There are a myriad of childhood developmental blind-alleys that might restrict her adult pattern creation-representation capabilities below the Abrams-Nyugen critical horizon" was the line I mentioned that DeForest Kelley blew; you can hear him laugh when he gets to "capabilities," just before Kirk says "Bones, stop. You're starting to sound like Spock!"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm liking this Captain Klarr so far. It's suprisingly tense whenever he suddenly barges into the room to just... observe.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

There is nothing more honorable than continuous unbroken eye contact. As Kah’Less said.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final part of this mission and the penultimate episode of this playthrough. Most of this episode is spent in one room with a lot of dialogue, we get a lot of information but it still seems like we're not getting any direct answers to what the hell is actually going on.

Part 7 - 'Though This Be Madness....' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Communications With Starius, Communications With Klarr, Recreation Room Interactions, Play Room Interactions, Throne Room Interactions, Bedroom Interactions, Machine Room Interactions, Plant Room Interactions, Phays Room Interactions, More Machine Room Interactions, Feeding Time, More Play Room Interactions, Terminal Room Interactions.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Well that was quite a sequence break, do you even have to bother fixing the wiring or could you skip it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Mighty Steed posted:

Well that was quite a sequence break, do you even have to bother fixing the wiring or could you skip it?

I'm pretty certain that you can skip it. I completely forgot about it while I was recording extra footage.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I get the feeling they have modified something that already existed (i.e. there might well be a now-extinct civilization that launched the ship 1600 years ago) and the Brassicans screwed with it. But yes, this is the other mission that got me angry. It's subtle, but deeply disturbing, and Trek TOS is exactly the kind of place where a civilization might have dumped their mentally ill onto a generation ship, launched it, and then died out before the ship returned.

And yeah I get the feeling we might well not want to associate with the Brassicans, they never come across as terribly nice people

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I’m still not too hot on the whole “Balkosi pheromone”thing either. They were willing to condemn sentients to death as part of an interstellar trolley dilemma!

Let’s go drinking with Klarr and pit his red sashed dude against a redshirt for fun.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Klarr is good and awesome, and I wish we got an entire game with him as main character.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Okay, Klarr's the best.

Captain Klarr posted:

An inelegant solution, Captain Kirk! But efficient.
I want a game where he assesses your performance at the end of each mission.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm liking this Captain Klarr so far. It's suprisingly tense whenever he suddenly barges into the room to just... observe.

He comes in to the "something is ominous" music and then just calmly watches you pick tomatoes. But it could erupt into a fight at any moment! You never know with Klarr and his aide!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm surprised you didn't go a little more crazy with the phaser in the bonus footage.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'll upload the last video of the main playthrough tomorrow. I'm not going to spoil anything about the Brassicans, but so far their methods have been very unscrupulous.

I will chime in and say that Klarr was one of the big highlights of the last episode, he will play a part in the next episode.

Loxbourne posted:

I get the feeling they have modified something that already existed (i.e. there might well be a now-extinct civilization that launched the ship 1600 years ago) and the Brassicans screwed with it. But yes, this is the other mission that got me angry. It's subtle, but deeply disturbing, and Trek TOS is exactly the kind of place where a civilization might have dumped their mentally ill onto a generation ship, launched it, and then died out before the ship returned.

And yeah I get the feeling we might well not want to associate with the Brassicans, they never come across as terribly nice people

This episode reminded me of a storyline from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, there was a similar situation regarding a bunch of... cast-off's who were set to crash land on a populated planet against their will.

Snorb posted:

I'm surprised you didn't go a little more crazy with the phaser in the bonus footage.

Did I miss anything specific? There's still time for me to go back in and record more.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Did I miss anything specific? There's still time for me to go back in and record more.

I'd say shoot everyone you can with both phaser settlings-- Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Klarr and his aide, Moll, Stambob, the King, Tuskin and his bodyguards, Puzzlewit, the Phays in the final room, the plants in the Hydroponics Room.

Basically, anything you can to trigger a game over.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I'd say shoot everyone you can with both phaser settlings-- Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Klarr and his aide, Moll, Stambob, the King, Tuskin and his bodyguards, Puzzlewit, the Phays in the final room, the plants in the Hydroponics Room.

Basically, anything you can to trigger a game over.

I've gone back in and recorded more footage, I tried out a few different things.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final episode and the final video of this playthrough. I'm not going to spoil anything.

Part 8 - 'Yet There Is Method In It' Additional Scenes & Dialogue
First Room Interactions, Second Room Interactions, Third Room Interactions, Fourth Room Interactions, Fifth Room Interactions, Sixth Room Interactions.

Thank you, everyone, who has joined, watched and/or contributed to the thread. I was always fond of this game but after replaying it, it turned out to be so much more than I ever remembered. I really have appreciated everyone's help with additional content, it helped shape this LP up even further. I will be uploading one more video of additional content that I have missed, it should be up in a couple of days. I'll be starting another new Star Trek LP this weekend.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

... I'm pretty sure I don't like the Brassicans. I say we just get drunk with the Klingons and forget this whole mess.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Quicksilver6 posted:

... I'm pretty sure I don't like the Brassicans. I say we just get drunk with the Klingons and forget this whole mess.

Especially Klarr!

Thanks so much for doing this, now you, too, deserve some shore leave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I wish the end credits didn’t finish on an endless starfield with... triangular stars? And ominous music. It kind of takes away the feeling of beating the game.