Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It starts with marketing.

Wait wait, hear me out.

My boss used to work for a business school and they put out a lot of marketing grads, but the thing he found most fascinating about it was, if you asked like 80% of the marketing grads if marketing worked, they'd tell you no. :psyduck:

We can make constant nudges and tweaks to our reality but as a society even the people in charge of it dont admit it.

So as human beings, we generally need narratives to make sense of the world. Yesterday a Jehovas witness told me this story about how a guy from Africa moved to the US, got heavy JW lessons and then went back to his Africa and that was great because he had faith in Jesus now (for some reason his village rejected him and he couldnt stay there???) and that was all that mattered.

We need positive narratives and stories for society, so the question is not how do you dismantle mis/dis, its how to you give it no porous surface in peoples lives to exploit in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe what we should do is just do what Goebbels said and repeat something louder and more often, except instead it'd be the truth that we're repeating, rather than lies.

The same people that would decry a concerted and coherent leftist messaging policy, love fox news.

The war for hearts and minds already exists and its an exercise for the reader where you draw the line about what tactics are acceptable.