Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Still a few weeks away from the new season, but the list of teams and bots for the 2019 season has been uploaded to the battlebots website. And now is a good time to get hyped up for the best drat summer TV show! Good old Battlebots! https://battlebots.com/2019-season-robots/

New season airs on June 7th at 8PM on Discovery Channel. And June 12th on the Science Channel, which for some reason will be the same episode but with an extra bonus fight...

Perhaps in a few days I will post in all the bot teams, but for now, time is limited.

Notable good bots missing from this year seem to be Icewave and Warhead.

Notable not so good bots that look to be missing from the lineup is Chomp and Overhaul.

The powerful but guaranteed to fail bot, Nightmare is making a return to the series this season!

Well, time to get hype for what is sure to be some not so notable entries!

Also, a little something something for the Faruq fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rLN2AgD4g

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm getting hyped! They posted the Science channel promo on the battlebots youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8an3NW90s

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can't wait to see what horrible flaw leads to Bronco getting completely dominated, to the shock of everyone who has never seen Toro, T-Minus, and Bronco almost always completely fall apart at the first sign of an actual threat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

We already know Broncos main flaw. It gets hosed over by a well built bot that can self right and can drive quick.

Just like Tombstones weakness being a well built bot that can take the blows.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

We already know Broncos main flaw. It gets hosed over by a well built bot that can self right and can drive quick.

Just like Tombstones weakness being a well built bot that can take the blows.

Yeah, but it gets killed in completely different ways each time.

Tombstone tore it to shreds because of the classic "We're going to be really cautious and pick our spot" team strategy that almost never works only to corner itself.

Minotaur took advantage of the exposed tires.

Whiplash won through using the anti-Minotaur armor to control Bronco.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I haven't watched Battlebots in a while, have they changed the rules so that is not just wedge bots always winning?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Battlebots rules require bots to have an active weapon now so spinners are the new meta.

I'm amped for the new Razer though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, part of the scoring now involves having an actual active weapon.

Although Duck is kind of a joke for an active weapon... It's just a wedge bot that can lift it's wedge...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Apparently they put up some fights that didn't make the cut to get aired in january, https://www.youtube.com/user/battlebots/videos. Nothing really notable, except this which maybe the worst bot battle ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWl1tS4UdzE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Apparently they put up some fights that didn't make the cut to get aired in january, https://www.youtube.com/user/battlebots/videos. Nothing really notable, except this which maybe the worst bot battle ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCw7tN_07E

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Looking forward to this sexy thing killing the rich.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i will enjoy these new two-hour episodes

i am also hoping for a brazil vs brazil showdown

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BexGu posted:

I haven't watched Battlebots in a while, have they changed the rules so that is not just wedge bots always winning?

You should watch last season, it's probably the best Battlebots has ever been.

I will always love Bronco because there is no more entertaining bot. When it gets a good opponent and hits, hell yeah.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What's the story this year, is it going to be on Science (which I don't get) or Discovery (which I do) or both?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wormil posted:

What's the story this year, is it going to be on Science (which I don't get) or Discovery (which I do) or both?

It's on both. Discovery airs the new episode first. Then a couple days later, the same episode is aired on Science channel, often with an extra fight that Discovery channel doesn't show... Which I assume they use for commercials.

I don't actually have cable, so never watch this one live...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although Duck is kind of a joke for an active weapon... It's just a wedge bot that can lift it's wedge...
I always thought Duck got robbed after that rumble fight last season where Bombshell won purely for having a more active weapon despite spending most of the fight doing absolutely nothing, while Duck basically dominated that entire fight. That bot's built like a goddamned brick. I am extremely not fond of the "only active weapon damage counts" rule.

Never actually watched BattleBots before the revival series, and I only started watching that because the revived Robot Wars got discontinued after three short seasons. Still prefer Robot Wars, but I'll take the robot combat I can get. So definitely good to hear more is coming soon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anybody know where I can watch the last ep of previous season; missed the drat finale... I'm not from the US/don't have those channels but I got a vpn if it streams somewhere now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

KennyMan666 posted:

I always thought Duck got robbed after that rumble fight last season where Bombshell won purely for having a more active weapon despite spending most of the fight doing absolutely nothing, while Duck basically dominated that entire fight. That bot's built like a goddamned brick. I am extremely not fond of the "only active weapon damage counts" rule.

I dunno. For the most part its a very good rule. As the old Comedy central seremies started turning into a wedgie battle before it got cancelled...

But Duck is an amazing bot and its frame is one solid piece of cut out metal... and I think they have individual batteries, receivers and motor for each wheel this year...

Its the bot that can at least completely gently caress up Tombstone for later battles against poo poo bots...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also with Discovery Channel getting on board with Battlebots, it would pretty cool if they would run some lower weight class series. I can't imagine it's that expensive of a show to run... although guess it depends what compensation they give to the teams if any.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well, time to get hype for what is sure to be some not so notable entries!

This is one of those entries where if you just see the bot you go "Okay yeah sure whatever" but when you see the bot plus the team you go "Okay now you have my interest" :v:

I love a good gimmick bot so I'll be barracking for this one. Plus it seems it has some pretty hardcore weapons it can swap in.

I've also got a soft spot for the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy-themed team:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Will this be available on any streaming services?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

bahahahahaha seriously gently caress Chomp. I think it's the only bot that makes me groan when I realize I have to watch it on TV

e: looks like someone had some free time

quote:

How much time does Chomp actually spend on its side? A film study.

TL;DR : Chomp spends about 42.94% of its time on its side.

Watch any Chomp fight on YouTube and you're sure to see multiple comments complaining that "Chomp spends half of its time on its side". I've always been skeptical of this claim, so I analyzed every single Chomp fight from season 2 to today to find out how much time our favorite flopper really spends on its side. Exactly thirty six flops later, I am now ready to present this data. For the purpose of this film study, a "flop" is defined as a prolonged period of time where, as a result of its own pneumatic system or opponent interference, Chomp is not supported by its own wheelbase. Negligible flops and self rightings, defined as flops or self rightings clearly under one second in duration, were not counted.

CHOMP VS DISKO INFERNO

For such a controversial decision, this fight surprised me as it involved the least amount of flops of any fight. Chomp was only on its side three times, half of its average of six flops per fight. The most prolonged flop was only fourteen seconds, and overall, Chomp spent a mere 34 seconds of the 180 second fight on its side, amounting to 18.89% of its time on its side.

CHOMP VS CAPTAIN SHREDERATOR

The Captain met a gruesome end at the hands of Chomp's pneumatic hammer in Chomp's lone knockout. Like the hammer, Chomp flopped in several short, powerful bursts. Although seven flops were recorded, the longest flop was only fifteen seconds. Chomp spent 38 seconds of the 128 second fight on its side, equating to about 29.69% of the fight.

CHOMP VS BITE FORCE

Chomp famously dealt a brutally precise blow on Bite Force's weapon chain, sealing the fate of the defending champion in an upset victory. Although I was impressed by the win, unfortunately, many were less than enthused, YouTube commentator AzNrAvEcHiLd6i9 grousing "What a crappy design. It spends half the match flopping around like epileptic on its side. I can't wait until another bot rips it apart." Ouch. I decided to investigate the claim that Chomp spent half of the match flopping around. In this fight, Chomp tallied a current career high eight flops, the longest flop amounting to a whopping 31 seconds. Chomp spent a total of about 89 seconds of the 180 second judge's decision flopping about on its side, making this particular commentator almost exactly correct.

YETI VS CHOMP

Sadly, we all know this is when the Cinderella run of our top-heavy protagonist ends. Chomp suffered a grisly demise, having its fins and tails pulled off piece by piece by the Alaskan drum spinner. Chomp tallied seven flops, its longest flop lasting 32 seconds, and possibly longer had the referee not cut the flop short due to knockout. Chomp spent 76 seconds of the 144 second fight on its side, or 52.78% of the fight.

CHOMP VS WARRIOR DRAGON

Chomp suffered from a lagging self righting system in this fight, giving Whyachi clan its first win of the season. Because of this, its no surprise that Chomp spent a good amount of time beside itself. The longest flop lasted thirty five seconds, good enough for its career high flop time. Overall, Chomp spent 95 seconds of the 180 second fight on its side after six flops, amounting to 52.78% of the fight. (coincidentally the same percentage as last fight.)

CHOMP VS OVERHAUL

Unfortunately, Chomp's self righting woes, despite the addition of the two winglets, were not totally rectified by the time of its showdown with the waifu-bot. Despite a last minute beating delivered to Overhaul, Overhaul still managed to control the fight. Although Chomp only managed five flops, the flip flopper bot whopper demonstrated a devotion to quality over quantity, breaking its past career high flop record by seven seconds, with a forty two second long flop. Chomp spent in total 94 seconds on its side, for 52.22% of the fight.

SEASON ONE TOTALS:

Total fight length: 632 seconds

Total flop length: 237 seconds

% of flop: 37.5%

SEASON 3 TOTALS:

Fight length: 360 seconds

Time spent on side: 189 seconds

% of flop: 52.5%

CAREER TOTALS:

Total fight length: 992 seconds

Total flop length: 426 seconds

% of flop: 42.94%

So there you have it, boys and girls. The next time you see someone complaining "Chump spends half of its time on its side!" feel free to correct them and tell them that Chomp in fact spends 43% of its time on its side.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It really is amazing how much cool AI stuff they tried to put into a bot that is total poo poo in every other possible aspect.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

The first half of the first episode is out on Discovery Go as well as in the open. The opening montage has a poo poo load of future match-ups if you're concerned by that. And it's such a huge cock tease that the half episode ends in the middle of the Deathroll vs End Game fight.

The fights so far:
Sawblaze vs Rotator
Cobalt vs Subzero
Kraken vs Ribbot
Deathroll vs End Game

Deep Six completely wrecking the test arena is a good bonus.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Is there any way to watch this in Finland?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Stoked that this thread is made and the show is airing! My roommate and I went to a taping in April at Long Beach Airport. In fact it was in an old hangar. Obviously can't talk about the matches we saw, but it was a great way to spend an afternoon.

What was really impressive were the distances that people came. Sitting next to us was a family with two young kids who flew out from Indiana, and another group behind us road tripped from Texas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Risutora posted:

Is there any way to watch this in Finland?

nope, you pirate this poo poo. or wait until they post clips on youtube, though imo they trim those clips too much

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The powerful but guaranteed to fail bot, Nightmare is making a return to the series this season!

Nightmare was at the event but it was a display piece for the lobby. The team entered another robot, Breaker Box, into the tournament. Their faceboom page hinted Nightmare may have had an exhibition fight or two but I don't believe it's part of the main fights.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I appreciate the idea behind Chomp but they really need to go back to the drawing board already

Isn't this season going to be on amazon prime? You could watch there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Nightmare was at the event but it was a display piece for the lobby. The team entered another robot, Breaker Box, into the tournament. Their faceboom page hinted Nightmare may have had an exhibition fight or two but I don't believe it's part of the main fights.

Well they are both listed as bots for the 2019 season according to their website. But just like in 2018, there is likely multiple tiers of bots, some of which don't get the full 4 fights and aren't eligible even for the final tournament. Sharkorpion was at least an example of that in 2018.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Speaking of exhibition matches:

These matches also happens after Battlebots (that is still due to air) ended. :ssh:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/435562670#%23

Twitch vod of the live stream last night. Haven't had a chance to watch it but there's apparently audio issues throughout the night.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm extremely hype for the dolly-bot

No Icewave or Warhead is :(

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love a good gimmick bot so I'll be barracking for this one. Plus it seems it has some pretty hardcore weapons it can swap in.

I've also got a soft spot for the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy-themed team:

The internet made me forget how great nerds once were.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

robot nerd drama on battlebots is great. like the guy who had a net in a gift box, loved that. I wanna see nerd fist fights

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Net in the box guy AKA Derek Young is the greatest roboteer because he put Somethingawful.com stickers on his bot and made Will Wright his bitch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

robot nerd drama on battlebots is great. like the guy who had a net in a gift box, loved that. I wanna see nerd fist fights

I always enjoy watching the MIT catgirl robot lose

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

halokiller posted:

Net in the box guy AKA Derek Young is the greatest roboteer because he put Somethingawful.com stickers on his bot and made Will Wright his bitch.

It's... beautiful. *sniff*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hmm, if the season doesn't end up on Amazon Prime this year what's the easiest way to watch it online? A subscription to Discovery's streaming service? Is there a difference between that and Science's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Philo will let you watch it live. Science channel has an extra (usually crap) fight or segment but airs several days later.