Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wonder if they will honor the 1.99. I didn't really want to buy the season but for $2 I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Fish Of Doom posted:

After their super arrogant, "It's not my problem that we couldn't get our tooth out of your armor," I cant wait to see Quantum get absolutely obliterated by some spinner in future episodes. Please let Tombstone blow up that stupid computer-designed arm, it's all I ask.

Evil British heels of the season.

Knowing how it did on King of Bots, the way it goes is you knock out the teeth(as the arm is super loving tough) and then it clamps you because it works perfectly as a clamp bot. Then you get driven into hazards over and over again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IIRC from last year it charges you an episode at a time, so it'd be 2 bucks each week.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

oh jay posted:

They fall under a good spot on the fun vs function matrix.

Blacksmith in particular is like the worst way to build a hammer bot if you actually want to compete. Though a hammer that can spit out flames makes for good glamour shots I give them that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I enjoyed seeing that the tooth that went into Blacksmith destroyed and shorted out a bunch of important looking stuff.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They bit through a lot of important bits on King of Bots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOchhOW--A&t=2739s

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 10, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

is blacksmith the worst bot that's been in multiple seasons besides chomp and maybe nightmare?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
overhaul

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

is blacksmith the worst bot that's been in multiple seasons besides chomp and maybe nightmare?

To be fair, it's been fighting some of the best bots in the series. Bronco, witch doctor, bite force, Minotaur twice, Quantum. It's not a bad bot, it's just a jobber that puts on a decent show.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Have flamethrowers ever shown to be effective? I guess in theory they help overheat the opponent, but I rarely see their opponents break down or any after battle analysis show heat damage.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The most I hear about them is that they tend to gently caress up internals enough that they have to spend more time on repairs, and iirc there was a bot last year where the team p much implied damage from the previous (flamethrower) fight wasn't fully fixed so that's why their bot broke down p easily.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Complete Control vs Bombshell had good use of a flamethrower (even if according to the Bombshell team it was superficial damage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mumbling posted:

Have flamethrowers ever shown to be effective? I guess in theory they help overheat the opponent, but I rarely see their opponents break down or any after battle analysis show heat damage.

I feel like there have been a few times where they've gotten lucky and managed to fry some important circuits

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mumbling posted:

They've been directly responsible for a victory exactly once that I can remember. Complete Control melted some of the wires in Bombshell while roasting it in a hold. They mostly look cool. They can also make it hard to see, which makes driving slightly more difficult sometimes.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Interesting! I grew up on classic Robot Wars so only the House Robots had those kind of weapons. I’m still working through season 3 so I’ve yet to see the flamethrowers do much.

I feel like a grump though because I see these flamethrowers, projectiles, drones, etc, fold my arms and think “Back in my day...”

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

halokiller posted:

Complete Control vs Bombshell had good use of a flamethrower (even if according to the Bombshell team it was superficial damage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

That axe looks so weak. Did they not have any other functioning weapons they could have used?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Queering Wheel posted:

That axe looks so weak. Did they not have any other functioning weapons they could have used?

Complete Control's top armor wasn't great, a skilled/lucky shot could have disabled the whole lifter system or worse.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Queering Wheel posted:

They had 4 different weapons that season a vertical spinner, a adjustable horizontal spinner that wasn't great but chopped off a bots wheels one time, the axe , and apparently they had a lifter that I don't think they used.
Here is the damage that they got in the complete control fight
A pic they posted in the old thread

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 14, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mumbling posted:

Interesting! I grew up on classic Robot Wars so only the House Robots had those kind of weapons. I’m still working through season 3 so I’ve yet to see the flamethrowers do much.

I feel like a grump though because I see these flamethrowers, projectiles, drones, etc, fold my arms and think “Back in my day...”

I always wanted the competitors to team up and kill the house bots

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mumbling posted:

They are a great way to play the judges decision game :P... Just like Saw Blaze's saw last season, that didn't do too much to most bots, but created lots of pretty sparks to go with the flames...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I always wanted the competitors to team up and kill the house bots

That 10-bot rumble on the last season of Robot Wars was supposed to be that, but most of the competitors didn't keep their agreement.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

yay Fuzzy is back

Black Dragon won the shoving battle, but I guess Texas Twister did more damage with the weapon

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 15, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mammoth is cool

Can't wait til Shred self-destructs

loving called it

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 15, 2019

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

ah, the old homer simpson strategy

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mammoth is cool

It's got that "Just crazy enough to work" feel to it and it's amazing

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Is this yeeting help me I do not know I am not good with computers

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bombshell, "We got a new self righting mechanism"

* Gets flipped over, dies *

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Mammoth is going to get destroyed by the first good horizontal spinner it faces, but I loving love it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Mammoth is going to get destroyed by the first good horizontal spinner it faces, but I loving love it

The first good vertical spinner is just gonna cripple their wheels which would amount to the same thing.

I kinda wanna see it go up against Huge though, just to see if Mammoth can actually engage in lift-off with a bot that can actully move semi-competently and with a weapon that's actually threatening. Alternatively, I wanna see a bot like Bronco tip it over like a cow.

There was that other bot they showed off that didn't fight in the first episode and they might pit Mammoth up against taht since they're both very tall bots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems that Mammoth was basically made to be a fun bot for Bronco to play with. Although I guess once it gets tipped over by any bot that's GG

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
enjoying this new Massive Bot arms race going on

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
When are we going to have to accept that Captain Shrederator just doesn't work?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

Full-body spinners really have an amazing capability to self-destruct.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the full body spinners are playing the opposite of the Homer Simpson strategy where they're hoping they manage to KO their opponent before they inevitably fall apart

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

What's weird is that it's Chinese counterpart, shrederator tiger claw, worked extremely well and came in fourth at TIFR. They did say they only had 3 days to prepare for battlebots after being a last second replacement for chomp, which didn't help.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Huh, the season actually is only two bucks on Amazon - I didn't get charged again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Huh, the season actually is only two bucks on Amazon - I didn't get charged again.

Yeah every so often they accidentally lost the season for the price of the first episode. I got a season of survivor and a season of Star Wars Resistance the same way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

The first good vertical spinner is just gonna cripple their wheels which would amount to the same thing.

I kinda wanna see it go up against Huge though, just to see if Mammoth can actually engage in lift-off with a bot that can actully move semi-competently and with a weapon that's actually threatening. Alternatively, I wanna see a bot like Bronco tip it over like a cow.

There was that other bot they showed off that didn't fight in the first episode and they might pit Mammoth up against taht since they're both very tall bots.

I'm interested to see how Mammoth does this season but I'm also real interested to see how it does NEXT season after they've gone away and thought about what worked and what didn't and made modifications

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chomp is out this year? Rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Not as good as the first episode since there's a little too much crippled bots. And lack of Minotaur's trademark death hum. Mammoth was cool though.

Xelkelvos posted:

That would be an interesting fight since Deep Six is probably the most powerful spinner in the competition and would completely destroy Mammoth if it ever connects, but it's unstable as gently caress and the gyro forces would mean even a little push by Mammoth means Deep Six careens off somewhere and shits itself (and the arena).