Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

That would be an interesting fight since Deep Six is probably the most powerful spinner in the competition and would completely destroy Mammoth if it ever connects, but it's unstable as gently caress and the gyro forces would mean even a little push by Mammoth means Deep Six careens off somewhere and shits itself (and the arena).

Mammoth and Deep Six careening off each other like a giant pinball game and rebounding off the walls and ceiling, smashing up the arena as they go ....

Nope, can't see any down side. Make it so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i don’t understand why more bots don’t use shatter’s fancy wheels, it looks like a very good advantage. i’m guessing it’s because they are larger?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

i don’t understand why more bots don’t use shatter’s fancy wheels, it looks like a very good advantage. i’m guessing it’s because they are larger?

They didn't seem to work all that well honestly. I would imagine controlling it is much less intuitive from the user side than a traditional car-setup or a 2/3 wheel setup.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

My understanding is that traction can be problematic, plus those wheels are more complex and fiddly poo poo to break and repair.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

logikv9 posted:

You trade pushing power and traction by using these wheels. Sure you can circle strafe people, but you likely can't win a straight up pushing match. Remember that lovely Chomp/Basilisk fight? Basilisk had mechanum wheels in the rear, and that's one of the reasons it was barely mobile; it had very little traction. They're also more fragile and much more expensive than regular wheels, which can frighten some people away.

Still, I agree that more bots should be at least trying out the fancy wheels.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ah that's disappointing. it makes sense though because each team knows that at some point they're going to be a glorified push bot

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Omni wheels are cool, used them for my FIRST bot back in the day

I think a flipper bot would get the most use out of them

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fun episode. I am still in awe how Witchdoctor went from a semi-standard bot with a bunch of gimmick minibots to a killing machine.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

logikv9 posted:

ah that's disappointing. it makes sense though because each team knows that at some point they're going to be a glorified push bot

The builders of Shatter just did an AMA on the battlebots reddit:

quote:

Mecanum wheels are great because you can drive sideways, but due to some funky physics you end up with only ~70% of the pushing power of a normal bot. The wheels also have 115 parts each, instead of a normal which which has like, 2. So they're fragile. And expensive. Many types of Omni drive exist, but what I like about mecanums is that if they break, the robot just drives like a normal robot. So they have a nice Fail-Safe mode.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Both episodes so far have been satisfying, especially since that Amazon $2 season worked.

I'm interested in where the Mammoth robot is going to ultimately place. The wheels seem like a vulnerability, but since it's so large, surely the design would allow them to place it within the frame instead of so far outboard?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hehe looks like Amazon fixed it I assume. Went from $1.99 to $14.99 - though season 3 costs $29.99 so I'm curious on why the price is half of that. Eh I don't care I'm not paying them to watch it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ragnarok with the wettest of farts

e: OK, Mad Catter was worse

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2019

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If that one made it to the initial broadcast, imagine how bad the one that got science channeled is.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Railgun Max and the team are really cool.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nightmare guy is back

Bring back Nightmare in exhibition tia

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I enjoyed Lucky vs Bloodsport

"Yeah, it was cool"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Is there a good place to get older episodes?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

sure, :filez:

e: if you're willing to pay there's always amazon though I guess they don't do season 1 and 2 of the revived series, just 3 and the current season 4

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 22, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

Is there a good place to get older episodes?

A lot of the CC era ones are on YouTube

So Hydra is like immobile Bronco? Cause I'm down with that

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

It's a tradition that Whyachi bots have to drive like poo poo.

I enjoyed Yeti vs Bite Force. Yeti is one of those bots that refuses to die and may have won by KO at the end if they could have flipped itself over. (also they got stuck 3 times during that fight but was edited out)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Breaker Box and Duck are basically the same bots...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pretty much, though breaker box has been around for a long time now. It also has been perpetually under powered and has a history of battery problems, so nothings really changed with it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

halokiller posted:

(also they got stuck 3 times during that fight but was edited out)

lmao

show us the clinches you cowards

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like for every season of battlebots that passes the bots just get more and more unreliable and prone to fail. It's like everyone starts their design with 'lets make the best weapon ever' and then forget that the thing has to actually move around and interact with stuff. So many bots which struggle with driving around before the opposing bot has even gotten a shot in. So many bots that have seemingly meaningless levels of complexity (two opposing drum spinners???!).

Sawblaze and Penguin last season were great counter-examples. Barely working/barely existant weaponry, but a very dependable and robust design overall.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 22, 2019

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Robots are hard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I havent watched in years but i heard theres a new Razer. Is it any good? I will always be a Razer fanboy.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

I havent watched in years but i heard theres a new Razer. Is it any good? I will always be a Razer fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOchhOW--A

Go to 43:00.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It looks a lot less sleek than it used to, it looks randomly bulky. Like the difference between Burton Batmobile vs Nolan Batmobile.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Lid posted:

It looks a lot less sleek than it used to, it looks randomly bulky. Like the difference between Burton Batmobile vs Nolan Batmobile.

IIRC, they actually designed Spectre so carefully that it would go overweight if they put a single coin on it. Spectre and Quantum have such strong crushers and drive systems that not only can they pierce any bot, they can ram them into the walls extremely hard.

I really hope that Quantum wins the whole thing but I have a bad feeling about what some of the spinners can do to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Ragnarok, rip

e: lmao mad catter holy poo poo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 23, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I suck at remembering the names but they really hyped that new flipper and then put it against an essentially defenseless forklift and it wasn't very impressive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wormil posted:

I suck at remembering the names but they really hyped that new flipper and then put it against an essentially defenseless forklift and it wasn't very impressive.

Both of those seem like garbage yeah. Just bring out Nghtmare again even if it fails it'll explode real nice

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
big yawner this week, just put hydra vs bronco you cowards

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
perpetually flipping each other into the air on top of each other, until they break through the ceiling and ascend into space

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

At least the flipper did work that one time it connected.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

At least the flipper did work that one time it connected.

"A hydraulic flipper may not be as powerful as a gas flipper but the huge advantage is that it can flip 50 times per match! This is a game changer!!"
/only gets in one decent flip

Doesn't matter how many flips it's capable of doing if the driver can't catch the other bot :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

lmao Cobalt, A+ choke

Duck is built out of unobtainium, christ

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Duck really got lucky there, Cobalt's spinner wasn't looking any worse for wear after dishing out a beating and then it somehow gets hopelessly stuck in the ground.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well at least Bombshell didn't die upside down this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nellie needs some work

a lot of work