Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks for making the OP Owlbear. I played WHFB years ago, drifted around with Warmachine and some skirmish games for a while, then went all in on Runewars (rip) and most recently got into Kings of War, and this game is my current favourite. I initially dismissed it because the high mobility upset my inner simulationist, but having accepted that it's quite gamey, I really like it. The variable initiative dial system from Runewars is still the pinnacle of minis gaming in my mind, but alternating activations is also good, and especially so with the tactics board - the zones are once per round, so it creates a sense of urgency, and you have to weigh getting in good unit activations vs claiming effects.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Boo! There's so many interesting options for armies with different models and playstyles - Dorne, Dothraki, White Walkers - that this feels like a boring choice. I guess it makes sense from a model-making perspective, though.

You said the starter sets were really good; how do you feel the overall value and buy-in compares to other fantasy wargames like WHFB? Do the models look nice? This could be a game that I could sell to non-wargaming friends who like ASOIAF/GOT.

I agree, I think they're crazy not to prioritize Targaryen. Starks have the direwolves, Free Folk have giants, and Night's Watch have an artillery piece, but nothing grabs the eye like a dragon. Apparently the next neutral units are Stormcrows though, so we get some non-Westerosi content.

Buy-in is good. The starter plus one additional box of virtually anything gives you a full 40-point army, but of course there are various internal synergies that will push your list-building in one direction or another so the game WANTS you to buy way more than you need for variety. Still, each purchase is a full unit, so you can buy something and immediately change the way your army plays. The models are quite nice, some of the posing is a little bit wooden, but sculpts are crisp and the plastic is much better than the PVC and restic I've become used to.

Annoyingly the Stark vs Lannister starter only has one set of terrain and objective cards, so it's tough to split with someone you're not going to be playing with regularly, but the Free Folk and Night's Watch starters have everything so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

EverettLO posted:

I ordered the starter box and have been watching videos of this game. The one thing that keeps jumping into my head is how absolutely perfect this rule set would be for a Legend of the Five Rings wargame. Sure, FFG owns that property now and any Clar War reboot would probably use a variation of the Runewars system, but the non-combat unit system is absolutely perfect for that setting.

Hm, and Privateer Press is doing a few L5R minis in their minicrate subscription thing, so I assume they're somehow entangled in the licensing. Pretty unlikely, unfortunately, because you're right.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yes! Unless they radically change the rules on us, your Baratheon army can be up to 50% Bolton by volume.

Perhaps that cruel bastard son of Roose's can be redeemed in service to The Lord of Light.

Also Bolton heavy cav is the only cav in the game so far with a 2 up armor save.

You can even have one of the Boltons as your commander in a Baratheon army, correct? Not that I imagine they'll have much synergy with the panic stuff, but the option exists.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

You can use a Neutral commander in a house army. Loose the Roose!

Sandor is in the Lannister Heroes I box. As you might guess he's a Lannister alligned unit attachment with a keyword that also indicates he's house Clegane (but nothing really looks for such a keyword currently.)

They have already released multiple variants of the same peeps (mounted and foot Mountain and Brynden Tully, Regular and Maimed Jaime) so a neutral version of Sandor at a later point isn't out of the question.

E: I hope the Nights Watch and Free Folk starters being sold the gently caress out everywhere means the game is doing well

The Mountain's tactics cards all have bonus effects when they target a house Glegane unit, so with him as your commander and Sandor in a unit, you can make most of an army Clegane.

Sounds like some of the stocking problems were the switch to Asmodee distribution, but allegedly they've got that sorted out by now. They're something like two months behind on new releases? But they said they're looking at accelerating releases to catch up, so hopefully we see at least a couple new factions per year.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Done, thanks.

https://asoiafcc.com/ has some stuff too. Seems a bit anaemic, but I've browsed it previously.

No dates yet, but here's some info on upcoming releases!

Night's Watch gets a second war machine, Blackguards show up, and Baratheons arrive! Also pretty stoked for those activation banners, they had me sad I missed the kickstarter.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah it's funny, I hate the design of Lannister equipment in the show, but absolutely love it in the game.

Those markers are sharp, and definitely more thematic than a bag of money!

I would very much like to see some more Lannister NCUs. It's funny they have so few compared to the other factions now, and although I think the Kingsguard is a poor substitute, it's interesting and I can see why they did it. Still, give me another three point option! (as powerful as Pycelle wouldn't hurt)

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Any "standard" army builds that expand on the starter box? I figure both Lannister and Stark want their first hero box pretty early, but I'm not really sure after that. Knights of Casterly rock for Lannister and Bowmen for Stark?

Yep, pretty much. Both get you to 40pts and add something new to your force. Beyond that, Tully Sworn Shields if you want an elite defensive unit and Umber Greataxes for an offensive problem-solver for Stark, with Crossbowmen for a powerful ranged threat and Pyromancers for an absolutely murderous glass cannon in Lannister. I also see Crannogmen Wardens used in Stark Bowmen a fair bit, and the Neutral Heroes box is a reasonable way to introduce more list-building diversity into both armies simultaneously, if you're putting together a sort of board game experience for friends.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
New stuff previewed at CMON Expo!

Baratheon Characters

Baratheon Warders and Stag Knight Noble

Stag Knight box

Dothraki!

Targaryen Heroes

They've also done a round of upgrade balancing, mostly under-used Lannister stuff. I'm super happy to see them do so, as it's always a shame to have under-tuned options taking up space.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Got a game in with the updated Lannister cards, they felt pretty good. My list was:

Faction: House Lannister
Commander: Jaime Lannister – The Kingslayer

Combat Units:
• Lannister Guardsmen (5)
with Jaime Lannister – The Kingslayer (0)
• House Clegane Mountain Men (6)
with Gregor Clegane – Lord Tywin’s Mad Dog (3)
• Lannister Guardsmen (5)
• Lannister Crossbowmen (6)
• Knights of Casterly Rock (8)

Non-Combat Units:
• Pycelle – Grand Maester (3)
• Tywin Lannister – The Great Lion (4)

We played Feast for Crows, which is probably a bad scenario for that Gregor package, and I played it too conservatively, but it did project pretty serious threat. Passed a couple charge morale tests that I would have liked to fail, but when they did finally get in they hit very hard. Jaime didn't get to do a whole lot, I think perhaps he needs to be in something other than Guards. Still, I got a couple +1's to defense rolls, so he is vastly improved from his old version! Tywin ALMOST saved a unit of Crossbows from a Giant, but I decided that they were better off just dying than risking being worth another VP with a failed morale test.

Pretty positive overall, didn't much care for the list but the changes felt good.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Those look good! Are you going to do the faces? I'd like to see maybe a tiny bit more differentiation on the scales, more blue or a super faint brass-tone highlight maybe.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

I will be, yeah. I just couldn't paint anymore after I stopped yesterday, so I still have to do the faces and other touch up items. I've been debating hitting the scales with a second coat of Guilliman Blue glaze, but I don't want it to be too blue. I think that might be too much blue in the unit.

Yeah I think I agree. I didn't notice the blue at first, but once I read that you'd added it I looked closer and quite like the effect, it just has a little bit of a "wall of silver" going on at first glance.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Ugleb posted:

Nicely done! Do they come with those bases?

They do not. Looks like Z the IVth has completely replaced them in fact, as the ones they come packed with have rounded lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Gilgameshback posted:

Has anyone ever actually used the Kingsguard unit? From a thematic viewpoint it's amazing but it seems like it might be a huge liability to field.

Exactly once, and I got absolutely blown out. List was Kingsguard, two units of Guards with Captains, then one each Mountain's Men and Cutthroats in Game of Thrones. Turns out having two fragile units, two slow units, and one unit you ABSOLUTELY can't commit forward is really bad in that game mode, plus it was into Free Folk with several sources of automatic wounds. They certainly do blend, and the threat of the free maneuver banner is especially powerful, but I'm not really convinced by the whole setup. Surely Joffrey wants Cersei for panic double-taps, and probably Tywin to help keep powerful units from smashing the Kingsguard.

Is anyone going to Gencon? Sounds like there are four full 16-person qualifiers? Pretty good numbers.