Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i just rewrote a 400-line python 2 script in 60 lines of python 3 and am forced to concede that python is in fact good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the more I use python the more i love it

currently using atom and some plugins to make it a ide and am
trying to get my head around git lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wanted to be a sublime edit man but atom made it too much easier

i looked at pycharm and looks good but wanna keep it free

and then look at django

pram
Jun 10, 2001
atom is garbage use vscode

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤔 well tbf that’s a solid argument. that’s the new microsoft one that’s kinda slim right? if it had python ide functions i just might

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes its a first party extension too

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/python

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pram posted:

atom is garbage use vscode

didn’t know your name was atom!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nice not reaching at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:chanpop:

e: I am using it and it is good. the intellisense or whatever is leagues beyond

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 21, 2019

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Yeah vscode is like atom but good.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

echinopsis posted:

i wanted to be a sublime edit man but atom made it too much easier

i looked at pycharm and looks good but wanna keep it free

pycharm is free tho?

echinopsis posted:

and then look at django

oh, yeah, it’s not free if you’re doing webdev, but you shouldn’t put yourself through that unless someone is paying you to do it (and if someone is but they are not willing to buy you good tools then :sever:)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

SYN/ACK when the firewalls fell
wyatt SYN/ACK

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

Yeah vscode is like atom but good.

it owns and i’m subject to spending farrrr
too long looking at themes and fonts and deciding if I want to display whitespace or not

the program I wanted to make, I made. I compromised significantly but it produced the data I wanted it too in the end so who am I to complain

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
python is the bee's knees for making a command-line tool to do some random poo poo, argparse owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wrong, rust is the bee's knees for that with thunderclap

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

wrong, rust is the bee's knees for that with thunderclap

rust is more like the bee's dick: not fully-formed

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
wake me up once I can use rust from the package manager, and install crates from there too

I don't want to depend on crates.io/github being around just to make fart programs, otherwise I'd be using npm or some poo poo

also wake me up once the syntax stabilizes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

thunderclap

Don’t talk about your mother like that.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
PyCharm has a community edition and it's also good. Good for typeahead, good for usage lookup, good for git, good for tests.

Idk why you would use another IDE if you're using Python tbqh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometres Davis posted:

PyCharm has a community edition and it's also good. Good for typeahead, good for usage lookup, good for git, good for tests.

Idk why you would use another IDE if you're using Python tbqh

eh I’ve only just started with vscode and I have little experience with anything else but what would pycharm bring to the table the vschode isn’t

also the aesthetic of vschode which i’m guessing is stolen from atom is very very naaaice

like I want to code just so I can use vschode

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

echinopsis posted:

eh I’ve only just started with vscode and I have little experience with anything else but what would pycharm bring to the table the vschode isn’t

also the aesthetic of vschode which i’m guessing is stolen from atom is very very naaaice

like I want to code just so I can use vschode

I can't say for sure but I'm guessing VSCode doesn't have project level virtual environments by default, their typeahead is unlikely to be as comprehensive and definitely won't be as fast/responsive (certainly wasn't when I last used it for JS), and they're both customisable in colour and font so idk if you mean something else by aesthetics.

By all means use whatever gets the job done but I've used Atom, VSCode, and PyCharm and I'm gonna keep using PyCharm.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poopernickel posted:

wake me up once I can use rust from the package manager, and install crates from there too

I don't want to depend on crates.io/github being around just to make fart programs, otherwise I'd be using npm or some poo poo

also wake me up once the syntax stabilizes

rust is in rhel8 and the syntax is stable, please enjoy

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

obvi brought to you by miCro$oFt

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Rahu posted:

rust is in rhel8 and the syntax is stable, please enjoy

nice, are any crates in there yet?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, i just saw in the release notes that it has rustc and cargo. I haven't tried it out yet.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

agreed op, its good imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
coding is about fun. coding is about love. the most important thing is that you enjoy coding. python gives this to me in spades

animist
Aug 28, 2018
life is mostly pain and that is also true of coding

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometres Davis posted:

I can't say for sure but I'm guessing VSCode doesn't have project level virtual environments by default, their typeahead is unlikely to be as comprehensive and definitely won't be as fast/responsive (certainly wasn't when I last used it for JS), and they're both customisable in colour and font so idk if you mean something else by aesthetics.

By all means use whatever gets the job done but I've used Atom, VSCode, and PyCharm and I'm gonna keep using PyCharm.

heh I am learning how to virtual environment in vscode but I think it's quite manual compared to what you're talking about which is probably quite automated

apprecaite your opinion, I spend more time caring about the ide and aesthetic than actually getting poo poo done because I am a hobbiest loser but well but nothing

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
PyCharm is really good. the remote interpreter stuff is slick as heck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

leftist heap posted:

PyCharm is really good. the remote interpreter stuff is slick as heck

is this debugging something that is happening somewhere else? like on a heroku instance?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

is this debugging something that is happening somewhere else? like on a heroku instance?

basically yes. PyCharm also has a bunch of built-in presets for running your interpreter in a VM or Docker image, and can keep your code in sync with a remote host. i have one set up in a GCE VM in our staging environment that is helpful and gets better speeds running against cloud storage.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

animist posted:

life is mostly pain and that is also true of coding

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

coding is about fun. coding is about love. the most important thing is that you enjoy coding. python gives this to me in spades
Coding is about making fat stacks of cash for very little work. Then maybe fun.

Also PyCharm is very good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm feels like for where I am now, vscode and pycharm are offering the same thing, but if I ever get to where I want to (which relies on motivation and we all know how that goes) then pycharm will give me the goods I need to succeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also where are these fat stacks :qq:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

janitoring mobile phone tracking data for bigcorps

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

up ur butt op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

thanks for reminding me of the time i got hoodwinked into getting a cs degree because "coding is fun," op