Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

(More 3d graphics than the rest of the game put together)

The seat of government.

Room full of fat old men, lots of talking and sounds of rumination.

Speaker “Gentlemen, Gentlemen! The next order of business is the state of the Navy”
Various Posh booing and “Rhubarb Rhubarb.”
Speaker “Now now, I have the new Admiral in charge of the navy outside, and he is here to address us. Show him in.”

Stirring national anthem from nowhere, Admiral Grey Hunter enters backed by flunkies.

Speaker “Now Admiral Hunter. You are new to the post, but I hear you have big ideas on how we can improve our Navy.

“Yes your honour, you see, it is now the year 1900, and we are entering a brave new world of ship building, our current fleet is of course all ironclad vessels, but the pace of time will not stand still. We need to push forwards.
We need to Rule the waves.

Welcome to Rule the Waves 2.

It’s finally here! The sequel to the grog hit Rule the waves, its Rule the waves 2 - Carrier Bugallo!
What’s changed? CARRIERS! The game now runs until 1975, instead of the 1925 limit of the previous game, and we will go from Pre Dreadnoughts through to carriers and fairly modern ships.
For those who have no idea what I’m talking about, Rule the Waves is a game where you take control of a nation's navy, and steer it through decades of modernization and wars - you start with an old fleet of ships, and then have to play politics to get the money to build a new fleet.

The problem is that the largest ships take years to build, and the rate of technological progress is rapid, so every ship is outdated by the time it comes off the slipway - your always racing to get as many modern ships out as possible.

Then a war starts, and you get to control those ships in a 90’s tastic top down battle. This looks pants but is actually really engaging.

How will this LP work?

This is going to be a heavy user engagement LP. There will be several layers of play.

Politician
This is all of you. You will be able to vote on what our foreign policy is, what ship designs we adopt, and how many ships we build.

Bureau of Ordinance.
This is a single player role, they will be responsible for setting our R&D levels, and for picking what planes we have available. BUORD is in a prime place to screw with me.
please indicate your interest now, the position will be put to the vote in the next session.

Shipwright
This is an option for those with the game - you will be competing to make the most money - how? By making the most winning designs that I will then be forced to purchase from you. I’ll give a copy of the most recent save out, so everyone will be designing from the same

Once we have selected our nation, the next update will be a state of the nation. Non war updates will run for a year, with war updates running as long as they need to.
We will then have a large number of votes to set the state of play, but this will be done through google polls to keep things a bit more civil, while the main focus in thread will be getting our navy going - there will be a randomly generated legacy fleet to deal with, and we will need to make some changes.

Voting

I intend to keep voting simple - anyone can propose a bill, and I’ll look through the thread for those that have the most support and organise them into votes that make sense - so all shipbuilding will go against each other, all diplomatic, ect.

The Challenges.

So, to make this more interesting, I’m going to run a few challenges - the first two are simple and for the Shipwrights - Most tonnage built and most ships built - simply whoever gets the thread to vote to build the most of their ships, or the most tonnage of their ships, will win that category - this is simply to get some friendly competition going.
Greatest Ship is going to be more interesting - every ten years I’m going to put up a list of ships built in that timeframe, and you lot will vote for the best ship, at the end of the game, those 7 finalists will be run off against each other for best ship of the game.
I will then try and make a 3D model of that ship. As you can see from the title, my skills are limited as I’m relearning, but I need a challenge.

What makes the best ship then? Well, once a design has been built, it will (hopefully) get tested in battle - either as an onscreen fight or an offscreen raider. This should build up a nice history for each ship, and hopefully make them more real.

To help this, I’m going to keep a document called Greys Fighting Ships, which we can use to document this history. It will be an open document, allowing anyone to add information and write ups. I’m hoping keeping track of these ships will become a side LP people can follow.

Nation Choices

Great Britain - Powerful, rich, with a slight tendency to explode. Britain is the largest sea power of the time, but also has the most area to cover.

USA - The Great White fleet may be new, but with the industrial powerhouse of the USA behind it, America will be a growing power.

Germany - The Kaiser wants Germany to have a fleet that challenges Great Britain, can German engineering and Krupp Steel win the day?

Russia - Russia's navy has never been is strength, and with ports on opposite sides of the world, the Navy has always been split between the baltic sea and the pacific. Maybe in this timeline their navy can avoid a series of humiliating defeats.

Japan - Newly industrialised and hungry to make their presence known on the world scene, Japan is not above using surprise attacks to win victories over richers, more developed foes.

Italy - Dreaming of power, the Italians are confined to the mediterranean. But like all nations, dream of expanding their colonies.

Austria-Hungary - Stop laughing back there - they had a few ships. Another land based power with hopes of projecting their power across the seas.

Confederated States of America - want things to get a bit Turtledove? In this alt history option, the CSA survives the ACW and is now trying to establish themselves as a world power.

So, who do we think will Rule the Waves?

vote here!

Finally - for some actual lets play content, here is me screwing up and getting the Royal Navy killed in a new campaign of the game in video form!

Yes I'm playing the Royal Navy.
Yes, its about to go as well as you would expect. I have form to maintain.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’ll be picking this up as soon as it becomes available to us plebs, so I’m happy to be a shipwright.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Oh gently caress yes, getting in on the ground floor for this.

I look forward to submitting overgunned light cruisers with no armour, that will inevitably be paved over to serve as jeep carriers, for the glory of *insert nation here*

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'll be BuOrd with a policy of ZEPPELIN SUPREMACY and we should go with Russia/Soviet Union.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 17, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Could you post a link to the game?

Is it still really convoluted to get myself a copy?

And it has to be the Royal Navy, for me

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

simplefish posted:

Its not actually out yet, Grey has a reviewer copy (lol). However the demo is.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2002/rtw2-demo-download-link-live

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

simplefish posted:

And it has to be the Royal Navy, for me

It’s not out for most people yet, Grey has an advance copy because he’s a grog influencer.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

quote:

RTW2 blind LP as the game launches
:yeshaha:

Put me down as...

Bureau of Defective Torpedoes Ordnance for the United States navy

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Saros posted:

Its not actually out yet, Grey has a reviewer copy (lol). However the demo is.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2002/rtw2-demo-download-link-live

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s not out for most people yet, Grey has an advance copy because he’s a grog influencer.

Ah ok, just thought because of the Shipbuilder thing he expected some of us to have a copy already

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Years of geeking finally payin off!

simplefish posted:

Ah ok, just thought because of the Shipbuilder thing he expected some of us to have a copy already

Nah, its going to take a while to get votes and get the setup done, so it'll be out by then.

oh yeah -vote here!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 17, 2019

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is France not in the game?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw yes, ground floor. This will be a disaster awesome.

Ramming speed! :black101:

...Is there ramming in this game? :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Mikl posted:

...Is there ramming in this game? :v:

Only by accident and usually of your own ships.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am excited for the next edition of Grey Hunter Destroys a Navy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Fader Movitz posted:

Is France not in the game?

Night10194 posted:

I am excited for the next edition of Grey Hunter Destroys a Navy.

I'm just going to assume there's a relation here

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

France? Never heard of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

France is hiding until they can reveal the majesty of Le Surcouf as final boss.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Actually, I left France off as that is what we did in the last LP.

I've added them on now though.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
I absolutely adored the first game. Part of me really wants to be BuOrd. I have big plans! Magnetic detonators on torpedoes! That circle back to their point or origin! Carried on cruisers with 40 torpedo launchers! Cruisers that are submarines. Aircraft carriers that fly. Twenty inch battleship guns to shoot down planes with. Planes that shoot other planes out to attack things. Atomic depth charges. Circular battleships. Abstract cubist camouflage paint schemes.

I can see it now... It will be beautiful.

...In my defense, every example is something people actually did.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hey, dazzle camo is beautiful, I wish we still did it as a matter of course

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

kommy5 posted:

I absolutely adored the first game. Part of me really wants to be BuOrd. I have big plans! Magnetic detonators on torpedoes! That circle back to their point or origin! Carried on cruisers with 40 torpedo launchers! Cruisers that are submarines. Aircraft carriers that fly. Twenty inch battleship guns to shoot down planes with. Planes that shoot other planes out to attack things. Atomic depth charges. Circular battleships. Abstract cubist camouflage paint schemes.

I can see it now... It will be beautiful.

...In my defense, every example is something people actually did.

A boring rehash of things that already happened! Vote Saros for BuOrd for Zeppelin Supremacy. Also every ship will be built around the principles of Maximum Elan and will have free ice-cream and probably sails.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Cannot wait for goons to go all in on Zeppelins.

Also the most hideous CV/BB mashup ships that you can build.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Astroclassicist posted:

Catamaran aircraft carriers or nothing

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Holllyyy poo poo how did I not know about this, thank you for providing my new Manifesto Pledge.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Saros posted:

Holllyyy poo poo how did I not know about this, thank you for providing my new Manifesto Pledge.

It's not real, but I have faith that Grey can make it happen somehow :v:

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 17, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Astroclassicist posted:

Rebuilds are a thing. I rebuilt some old light cruisers into CVLs. It's a good use for an obsolite hull!

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Rebuilds are a thing. I rebuilt some old light cruisers into CVLs. It's a good use for an obsolite hull!

Oh no, I don't want sensible rebuilds. I want fresh off the slipway hybrids with 18 inch turrets and flight decks :getin:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Astroclassicist posted:

Oh no, I don't want sensible rebuilds. I want fresh off the slipway hybrids with 18 inch turrets and flight decks :getin:

you can remove turrets individually, so this is totally doable.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Does this game have dirigible aircraft carriers ? Can we build dirigibles that carry smaller dirigibles?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Parasite fighters are a thing so yes.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Can't wait for the 1st Venetian zeppelin escuadrone to carry Entente liberation forces to sack Istanbul.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So hype for this. Gonna be a shipbuilding firm, and hoping we go with one of the UK, Japan, or USA to be on the leading edge of carrier goodness.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Italy!

I will run the Vatican's subsidiary Holy Sea Shipbuilding Company.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If voting's a thing then I'll cast my ballot for Saros for BuOrd.

He's competent enough to bring the necessary streak of malice to BuOrd's madness.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
gently caress it, throwing my hat in the ring for Buord

As a sample of what I will bring to our glorious nation of TBD, I present you the latest and greatest out the proving* grounds:

Gentleman, a 35" gun grossing a mere 2 tons, all up. With the devastating and portable firepower lent to us by this inflatable gun, we shall soon rule the skies as well as the seas, as soon as someone invents a dirigible anyway.

*Not actually yet proven, manufactured or even designed outside of the drunken ramblings of the chief engineer who apparently can't count above 18 anyway.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 17, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

If voting's a thing then I'll cast my ballot for Saros for BuOrd.

He's competent enough to bring the necessary streak of malice to BuOrd's madness.

Voting will be part of a group of state stetting votes once the country has been selected. People should be nominating themselves now though!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Pharnakes posted:

gently caress it, throwing my hat in the ring for Buord

As a sample of what I will bring to our glorious nation of TBD, I present you the latest and greatest out the proving* grounds:

Gentleman, a 35" gun grossing a mere 2 tons, all up. With the devastating and portable firepower lent to us by this inflatable gun, we shall soon rule the skies as well as the seas, as soon as someone invents a dirigible anyway.

*Not actually yet proven, manufactured or even designed outside of the drunken ramblings of the chief engineer who apparently can't count above 18 anyway.

Oh Christ. It's so... sexy.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I'll be joining in as a Shipwright. I really want to get my hands on the full game ASAP, but I guess watching Grey's LP will scratch that itch until then.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Nothing's better than rebuild a Predreadnaught into an CVL.

Shipyard manager posted:

So, you want me to take this obsolete clunker of a battleship into my dock, rip open the hull below the belt, lift out the turrets, remove every gun, completely gut the engineering plant forward of the propeller shafts and finally cut off everything above the armored deck.
I'm then supposed to cram a cutting-edge oil-fired turbine plant through the gaping holes in the hull, install bulges to store fuel-oil, avgas, ammunition and whatnot, build a box above on top of the whole mangled mess, top it of with a flight deck and finally sprinkle flak-guns all over the place.
And somewhat all of this is supposed to be cheaper and quicker than building the whole thing from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Does the CSA option imply that the United States no longer exists or that they would be operating as a rival regional power?