Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Here are designs for the proposal.

The Krasny Krim is a light CL specializing in autoloaded light guns firing in every direction at once. Top speed is 31kt. Carries torpedoes for nostalgia.

The Politburo Kirov is the return of the Kirov after Politburo Approved dieting regimen. Totally not a gulag. Will not likely destroy Soviet economy by itself. That is for the other ships.

One half of our Ultimate Soviet Croctopus battlefleet, we present the Krokodil. It has 20x 17" guns and a 32kt top speed. Completely guaranteed to result in sunken ships when it shows up in battle area. Probably Royal Navy.

The second half of the Ultimate Soviet Croctopus battlefleet is the Osminog class carrier. 91 plons, heavily armored, many guns/tentacles. Should always be with Krokodil for full effect. It has as much armor, I think. Maybe more. Carrier is important part.

Fine boats to leave to successor of mighty Comrade Admiral. Will have nightmares about croctopi for decades to come. Free ushanka with purchase of any boat.

Files for all four: https://gofile.io/?c=jPwEjC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

shalafi4 posted:

You totally will not misappropriate funds and take bribes from the highest bidder only to dissapear to your own tropical island the day after retirement...

segway into Tropico Lp? :)

How do you know my list of games to LP?
Who sent you?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Grey Hunter posted:

How do you know my list of games to LP?
Who sent you?

The Cheka sends its regards.

Honestly we're jealous that we didn't think of it first. We will be sure to send a mail order bomb bride to keep you company on the island.

totally not a spy to keep an eye on you.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Bureau submits the following designs as part of the Soviet Navy of the 1950s AND BEYOND

The Albazin Class Light Cruiser is designed strictly for fleet support. More specifically, it is designed to be the world's most effective anti-aircraft platform, pound-for-pound. It spews death skywards with twelve 6" autoloaded DP guns, plus a robust suite of dedicated AA guns. It also provides four scout floatplanes, allowing the carrier force to concentrate its attack aircraft and not have to worry about scouting for the enemy fleet.

The Poltova Class Heavy Cruiser is a lone wolf hunter. She is designed to outfight ALL of the heavy cruisers that are currently flooding the world's navies: she is mostly immune to the 10" guns that arm the world's CAs, and at 32 knots, she's also one of the fastest surface combatants afloat. She will hunt raiders, win cruiser battles, and can serve in fleet support in a pinch.

The Borodino Class Battlecruiser is the final evolution of the big gun surface ship. That is, she's the final concession to the superiority of airpower. Her primary role is in fleet support: her 24 5" DP guns help to protect both her and her carrier, while her mammoth 7" of deck armor ensures immunity from all but the biggest and most accurate AP bombs. She also provides four scout floatplanes, further enhancing fleet scouting activities Her secondary role is as a surface hunter: she's virtually immune to cruiser caliber gunfire, and her 16" guns are all pointed forward for better hunting.

And finally, the new crown jewel of the Soviet Navy: the Khiva Class Fleet Carrier. She is designed to both dish out punishment from the air, and take it. Her Sunday Punch comes from a 100-strong air wing, while her 16 autoloaded 5" guns, 100 lighter AA guns, and a total of 6.5 inches of deck armor protect her from enemy bombers.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

What is with the lack of DP secondary on the carrier and tertiaries on everything else?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

None of these ships will even be completed within the playthrough's remaining time so I doubt they need to bother making them the best possible designs.

E: Also the latest patches tried to cut down on main gun and tertiary/secondary numbers anyway. Like cowards who don't want 36 main gun battlecruisers with superfiring wing turrets, I think the developers didn't want to make it optimal to put 48 secondary/tertiary barrels on most BBs/BCs.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 19, 2020

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Night10194 posted:

None of these ships will even be completed within the playthrough's remaining time so I doubt they need to bother making them the best possible designs.

E: Also the latest patches tried to cut down on main gun and tertiary/secondary numbers anyway. Like cowards who don't want 36 main gun battlecruisers with superfiring wing turrets, I think the developers didn't want to make it optimal to put 48 secondary/tertiary barrels on most BBs/BCs.

I feel like we're going to hear from the Orkz about this pretty soon...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, vote time!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

In response to the request by the admiralty and supreme council, here are the designs proposed:

Dnieper-class

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsi8czumchm7q1h/Dnieper.30d?dl=0
Functionally an overgrown destroyer, the Dnieper class is a ship that can help deal with enemy destroyers while being able to deliver torpedoes as well as a destroyer. Her anti-air armament is nothing to scoff at either and she can contribute to the anti air fire in service of protecting her charge.

Azov-class

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb0rziv2msnxdq5/Azov.30d?dl=0
A heavy cruiser built around its forward facing auto-loading 203mm guns, what it would lack in punch would be made up by rate of fire as it can correct its shots faster. This would also be invaluable in close range engagements as it can fire its broadsides more rapidly than ships without autoloaders.

Baikal-class

https://www.dropbox.com/s/205sei5d43ce3hc/Baikal.30d?dl=0
Bearing the largest guns ever built and fielded on the high seas, the Baikal is functionally built around being able to service and deliver its 510mm shells to the enemy. And for good measure she has a decent design speed as well as a fearsome anti-air suite.

Baku-class

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2s6uophpotbw5f/Baku.30d?dl=0
Built off of observations of the Rurik-class carriers in the last war, the new Baku-class introduces armored compartments to help with mitigating damage from enemy planes. She still maintains the same design speed and plane complement of the Rurik and has new passive countermeasures to help defeat torpedo attacks.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I hereby place my vote for ALL OF THE ABOVE, to be split as evenly as possible and determined by random number generator in the event of remainders. Lets run this poo poo into the ground.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Pickled Tink posted:

I hereby place my vote for ALL OF THE ABOVE, to be split as evenly as possible and determined by random number generator in the event of remainders. Lets run this poo poo into the ground.

Do this but just round all numbers up in the event of remainders

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

Do this but just round all numbers up in the event of remainders

seconded this

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

Though this idea has merit, I must cast my vote for One of Each! if not enough designs were put forth, pick some runners up from previous design attempts.

also:

shalafi4 posted:

You totally will not misappropriate funds and take bribes from the highest bidder only to dissapear to your own tropical island the day after retirement...

segway into Tropico Lp? :)

Second.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

January 1954

I order a large number of ships to be built. People accuse me of lining my own pockets by taking bribes for taking on so many projects at once, but I have my eyes on a nice little island....

Tensions continue to rise.

February 1954

For money for fleet expansion? Yes sir!

March 1954

The number of ships being built increases a lot, but parliament starts to take the money from us.

April 1954

This is costing us 75 million a month. We cn keep this up for a couple of months before we have to slow some production.
My swiss bank account grows.

May 1954

Our bank balance plummets.

June 1954

Now I need to bring the budget back under control.

July 1954

I have to halt the construction of all capital ships.

August 1954

Things are quiet. I have lots of paperwork for retirement.

September 1954

Everyone seems to want to steal from us! At least I get the new bombers out.

October 1954

The battle of spies continues.

November 1954

Better sub are on their way.

December 1954

As this is the last year, and there is no money available, are you guys okay if we skip the laws and push on?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Let's actively end this
There have been rumours that certain high-level staff have been embezzling funds and are preparing to flee the country by ship. All available ships must be on the active fleet to prevent this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Go ahead, Grey. We’re unlikely to see the new ships leave the yards anyway.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Future videogames now have an excuse for overgunning the Russian navy's tree especially in the destroyer line. :unsmigghh:

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Skip

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

January 1955

The Germans get a load more ships off the slipway.

February 1955

Ahh, the quiet days before retirement. Questions questions questions – panama hat or no panama hat?

March 1955

Nice and quiet.

April 1955

Why do I think war will kick off at any moment.

May 1955

Nothing much happens.

June 1955

We get a load of submarines. This will help me successor.

July 1955

Most boring last update ever.

August 1955

Hey! Like I care!

September 1955

Ahh, I look forward to a quiet life.

October 1955

I can't remember the last time I had so few events!

November 1955

More like it!

December 1955

The Navy begins to grow again.

But, after 55 years in charge, it's time for me to retire.

I've had ups and downs, victories and defeats.

At least they will name an aircraft carrier after me -if they can ever afford to build one.

For me, I have my eyes on a nice island.
Called Tropico.....

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Congratulations on finishing the LP! I hope you will enjoy spending the rest of the cold war somewhere far warmer.

Perhaps they will make you El Presidente; you have the most important qualifications. A fancy uniform and a Swiss bank account!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Thanks for the LP - I got fully into rule the waves 2 and learnt a lot from the thread.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks Grey, good LP.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Congratulations on finishing the LP! I hope you will enjoy spending the rest of the cold war somewhere far warmer.

Perhaps they will make you El Presidente; you have the most important qualifications. A fancy uniform and a Swiss bank account!

Who knows?

The 3D Vote

As promised. I will now prepare to do a 3D model of one of the ships from the game. please cast your vote for whichever ship you wish that to be!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

If aren't choosing the Party Yacht, they really need to re-evaluate their priorities in life

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Who knows?

The 3D Vote

As promised. I will now prepare to do a 3D model of one of the ships from the game. please cast your vote for whichever ship you wish that to be!

Can there be any question?! It must be the imperial yacht BC Imperator Nikolai Veliki!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

mercenarynuker posted:

If aren't choosing the Party Yacht, they really need to re-evaluate their priorities in life

Fully agree.

Imperial Officer
Oct 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

How could we choose anything else?

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Since we never built the battleship Yamato Carrier, I guess the Yacht is my vote as well. Make sure to model in the horses.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Sammich Reaper posted:

Thanks Grey, good LP.

This.

Also who won the design contest everyone forgot about

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Who knows?

The 3D Vote

Once you have the model done I can get model of it printed up :)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mercenarynuker posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My BuOrd subtitles, in order but without dates because I didn't record them in buord.txt:

BYURO BOYEPRIPASOV

the tsar loves torpedoes

Whale adventures

the world wonders

red ones go faster

we have a need, a need for speed

let's go fly a kite

drowning in submarines
(url missing, too lazy to go find this update to grab it)

is anyone even reading this?

it's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

perhaps the game is bugged

To fly a dirigible over Ceylon, now that would be a pleasant thing

Shorty got low low low low low low low low

That'll teach you to anticipate my research priorities!

no smoking

The blimp shall set us free

I feel like we're overdue for a communist revolution?

Like seriously did Lenin die of smallpox as a child in this timeline?

YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! AH, drat YOU! GOD drat YOU ALL TO HELL!!

Great white whale of the sky

you're just lucky the tsar got his blimps or you'd be hosed now, let me tell you

don't care

just because you haven't seen him in months doesn't mean he died!

How could the tsar have ordered a new palace if he were dead, right?

The tsarina suggested that we simply "no longer wage war"

Handwritten on lilac-colored stationary

Just wait till she gets her hands on Sun Tsu

Our ships are more fabulous than theirs

the person who is called the son is actually the father

A restoration of traditional values

It's more than a bird, it's more than a plane, it's a bird plane]

nobody is ever going to read these things, or care, but I can't stop now, can I?

it turns out I could, heh

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Good LP thanks for playing.

But the last 10 years really confirms for me, anyways that the first game was more enjoyable and interesting over all.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah I found this eminently enjoyable and the thread even convinced me to eventually buy the drat game in spite of my severe misgivings towards the devs' dumbshit business method. But I think maybe RtW2 is not a significant improvement over the first, certainly not enough of one to justify the sale. The first 25 years are generally better to play in 2, but as aircraft get added and weird restrictions on ship design for, I don't know, verisimilitude or something hamper my enjoyment a bit. There's no tangible benefit to taking colonies or really world-changing situations to engage in. Aircraft are more of a chore and frankly I wish the game leaned a little more into the 'what if' side of things and let us get crazy with designs and alt-reality poo poo like massive blimp-carriers or something. Maybe it'll come together better in future patches, but I didn't even think about missiles until this LP started popping out techs that have literally no impact on your game. eh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't imagine guided missiles are going to be particularly fun.

I love this dumb game, my issue with CVs is mostly that they're much less interesting to design than surface ships. Make the boat reasonably priced, jam on as many aircraft as you can, make it fast, put some AA on, you're done. Every late game CV is just a Midway. Meanwhile late game super BBs are crazy hubris palaces on the sea, built entirely to show off you can still build them even though they aren't that great anymore, and I love them. I'm also amused that 20 inch guns are genuinely pretty bad and you should always stop at 18 (or 17).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

My BuOrd subtitles, in order but without dates because I didn't record them in buord.txt:

BYURO BOYEPRIPASOV

the tsar loves torpedoes

Whale adventures

the world wonders

red ones go faster

let's go fly a kite

drowning in submarines

no smoking

you're just lucky the tsar got his blimps or you'd be hosed now, let me tell you

don't care

nobody is ever going to read these things, or care, but I can't stop now, can I?

I never did learn how to read Russian but I enjoyed the crylic text through our Russian fight through

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

BYURO BOYEPRIPASOV

the tsar loves torpedoes

Whale adventures

the world wonders

red ones go faster

let's go fly a kite

drowning in submarines

no smoking

don't care

This was great, btw.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Night10194 posted:

I can't imagine guided missiles are going to be particularly fun.

I love this dumb game, my issue with CVs is mostly that they're much less interesting to design than surface ships. Make the boat reasonably priced, jam on as many aircraft as you can, make it fast, put some AA on, you're done. Every late game CV is just a Midway. Meanwhile late game super BBs are crazy hubris palaces on the sea, built entirely to show off you can still build them even though they aren't that great anymore, and I love them. I'm also amused that 20 inch guns are genuinely pretty bad and you should always stop at 18 (or 17).

A big problem is that the battle types and areas you are fighting over don't evolve properly to showcase the impact technology has on how battles are fought. That and the air interface is tacked on and too abstract for a wargame. This does provide the right feel for an admiral sorting through hit reports, for example, but is bad gameplay.

For examples, invasion battles are about sinking the transports, and at their end the transports just mill around the target waiting for people to stop shooting. You never get to do invasion bombardment support or CAS. Your light carrier forces can't be set up to doctrinally screen heavier forces from air attack in a meaningful way, only in a tactical sense. There's no long-range interception of air attack. No provision for ground radar controlling big zones of sea. You can't form semi-permanent groups or task forces of ships. There's no long-range refueling-driven operations. The strategic areas of the map don't change as the years go on.

obviously I don't expect everything from this game but this is what needs to be thought about in order to make the game work better for the interwar and ww2 eras

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Blocked out with some detail on it - this has taken me half the time to do that the completed title card I did last year for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
That would have made a fine carrier conversion candidate.