Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

No! At what point is your plan going to get results? Or are you saying your plan has already gotten the result of "Republicans hold a bunch of power and are banning abortion" and that was the outcome your plan was looking for?

How is this not the result you and pester wanted?

Did you think that while you were not voting or protest voting republican that some sort of "JK, just kidding! lol!" signal was going through? This is it, you won. Your protest votes got the result.

States where people like me voted like me are producing things like good candidates like AOC, where a democrat winning was a sure thing to the point better democrats were beating worse sure thing ones in stunning upsets in primaries. Not seeing that happening out of the states you guys are winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Okay, but how does voting republican help this at all except letting everyone mark you down as a very reliable conservative voter who happens to have some weird complex motivation for it that no one anywhere cares about?

You should really point out where she said she would vote republican vs not vote, you have a history of making up a straw man for a sick burn and then deciding that that is actually what has always been discussed and it's infuriating to watch you continue to argue with a position you literally made up when someone has explained their stance multiple times

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you think that while you were not voting or protest voting republican that some sort of "JK, just kidding! lol!" signal was going through? This is it, you won. Your protest votes got the result.

States where people like me voted like me are producing things like good candidates like AOC, where a democrat winning was a sure thing to the point better democrats were beating worse sure thing ones in stunning upsets in primaries. Not seeing that happening out of the states you guys are winning.
No! I am asking you: And at what point is your plan going to start getting results. Perhaps, I've already won, I don't think I have, but I don't care to dispute it, when will you?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cool now what about the states where an upset I'm the primary doesn't matter because the Dems back a pro life republican in the general

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, conflating primary voting and general elections is p fuckin lol, even for you oocc

Ignoring of course that it's entirely possible to put your thumb on the scale for the primaries, as we saw in 2008, what happens if the candidate who represents your views doesn't make it to the general? What should I do if Biden gets the nom? Should I hold my nose and vote for a man who explicitly does not give a poo poo about my survival?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

No! I am asking you: And at what point is your plan going to start getting results. Perhaps, I've already won, I don't think I have, but I don't care to dispute it, when will you?

The plan of voting democrat over republican then primary good democrats over bad democrats is like, literally the only thing that has ever won any progressive wins in any state or region ever. protest voting republican or protesting voting has a track record of zero for progressive policy.

Like, alabama is the win of the protest vote. You got your hell. Progressives aren't popping out left and right. Your strategy is a failure. They are popping out of safe democratic regions, where primaries have become the real election.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The plan of voting democrat over republican then primary good democrats over bad democrats is like, literally the only thing that has ever won any progressive wins in any state or region ever. protest voting republican or protesting voting has a track record of zero for progressive policy.

Like, alabama is the win of the protest vote. You got your hell. Progressives aren't popping out left and right. Your strategy is a failure. They are popping out of safe democratic regions, where primaries have become the real election.
Ok yeah I suck super bad, but:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And at what point is your plan going to start getting results.
Like do you have a date in mind? Some sort of timeline? Do you possibly think you've already achieved your goal, which is to say a nation with a bunch of Republicans in power banning abortion? Will your plan literally never work unless you can convince me personally to vote like you?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What is your solution to the problem of the DCCC actively working to undermine the rights of women?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

DCCC has a new rule blacklisting anyone who works with a primary challengers campaign, but yeah I'm sure primary challengers up against the full force of the establishment have a shot and it's not the system making sure it's secure from any challenge

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

Like do you have a date in mind? Some sort of timeline? Do you possibly think you've already achieved your goal, which is to say a nation with a bunch of Republicans in power banning abortion? Will your plan literally never work unless you can convince me personally to vote like you?

Does it matter? Even if the answer is never you can still vote against republicans while cooking up your back woods army to storm the capital in a glorious revolution or whatever. Unless you have a plan that will fix everything pre-november 2020 you still can vote for harm reduction while you work on your superior plan.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does it matter? Even if the answer is never you can still vote against republicans while cooking up your back woods army to storm the capital in a glorious revolution or whatever. Unless you have a plan that will fix everything pre-november 2020 you still can vote for harm reduction while you work on your superior plan.

What harm reduction exactly will Joe "shut up pansies" Biden do

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This argument has been settled. Prominent national Democrats (Manchin, Beto, Biden) and their backers like Howard Schultz have decided that Republicans winning seats is preferable to certain Democrats ergo if voters feel this way in reverse it is totally justified. If Democrats want a "vote blue no matter what" mindless mentality in their voters the absolute least they can do is practice it themselves.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What harm reduction exactly will Joe "shut up pansies" Biden do

He plans to help reduce the Republicans bad image so there's that.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 18, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does it matter? Even if the answer is never

So we should follow your strategy whether it produces results or not, yes? That is your official stance? Because you are literally arguing here that whether or not your approach produces results is irrelevant- you are simply correct and we should all do as you say.

It seems to me that you don't actually have a counter strategy and just want to shout "don't rock the boat!" at people who are having their rights undermined by the self-serving decisions of Democratic Leadership. A reasonable inference from the way you keep dodging a direct question is that your agenda here is not about addressing the problem- but rather about preserving the status quo that grants you so much privilege.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You tell me? I'm using your words. When you asked:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And at what point is your plan going to start getting results.
Did you have an opinion on whether it matters? Are you ever going to answer the question?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Prester Jane posted:

So we should follow your strategy whether it produces results or not, yes? That is your official stance? Because you are literally arguing here that whether or not your approach produces results is irrelevant- you are simply correct and we should all do as you say.

It seems to me that you don't actually have a counter strategy and just want to shout "don't rock the boat!" at people who are having their rights undermined by the self-serving decisions of Democratic Leadership. A reasonable inference from the way you keep dodging a direct question is that your agenda here is not about addressing the problem- but rather about preserving the status quo that grants you so much privilege.

The last time this discussion came up oocc called me a bad person for wanting a 15/hr federal minimum wage and then said "well new York will have it next year so shut up" while missing that he was looking st the city and not the state

Then it came out he's a computer toucher in East buttfuck where the cost of living is like ten bucks a century

This isn't helldumping or doxxing, mods, this is remembering a previous conversation

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Prester Jane posted:

So we should follow your strategy whether it produces results or not, yes?

The result of protest voting republican is alabama and the result of letting republicans win is the supreme court that might make alabama's laws hold. Whatever else you were doing didn't matter. Whatever half baked revolution you are working on hasn't happened in time. If you need more time to work on it you can take 5 minutes out of your day once every 2 years to vote harm reduction while you work on your grand plan to fix everything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The result of protest voting republican

A thing that you made up and nobody here has said they do

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The result of protest voting republican is alabama and the result of letting republicans win is the supreme court that might make alabama's laws hold. Whatever else you were doing didn't matter. Whatever half baked revolution you are working on hasn't happened in time. If you need more time to work on it you can take 5 minutes out of your day once every 2 years to vote harm reduction while you work on your grand plan to fix everything.

So your solution is to preserve the present status quo for an indefinite period of time. Gotcha.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It rules that every time this comes up oocc does the succdem thing of conflating not voting for the Dem with voting for a republican

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I voted for the libertarian presidential candidate in the 2016 general in SC in hopes of helping push them over the matching funds threshold and be in a better position to siphon votes from R candidates in the future and I will never apologize.

Also Hillary succed

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It rules that every time this comes up oocc does the succdem thing of conflating not voting for the Dem with voting for a republican

Which is hilarious since the people just staying home are remaining neutral when actual Democratic politicians cross over to support the Republicans and that's fine.

Which has more influence, some people deciding it's not worth their time to vote or Biden using his name and reputation as Obama's friend to support a Republican incumbent?

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm going to vote for Bernie regardless of if he's the nominee

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Radish posted:

Which is hilarious since the people just staying home are remaining neutral when actual Democratic politicians cross over to support the Republicans and that's fine.

Which has more influence, some people deciding it's not worth their time to vote or Biden using his name and reputation as Obama's friend to support a Republican incumbent?

It rules that Biden was literally cited as an example of the leftward shift of the democratic party and a proof-of-concept of why we should vote blue no matter who.

Real talk ya'll: Anytime you hear "I agree with you but don't rock the boat" the only correct and viable response is to start doing jumping jacks until they learn to address you with respect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm going to vote for Bernie regardless of if he's the nominee

I'm voting for kodos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

How do you square that with the fact that the Democratic Party has been moving left for the past 20 years or so? Everything I've seen during my lifetime suggest that electoral success creates room for movement to the left. I mean right now Biden is leading the pack after we lost to the right wing. Isn't that the exact opposite of what you think should happen?

Joe Biden, Sterling example of the shift left

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Joe Biden, Sterling example of the shift left

Seriously on what planet are the Democrats moving left. Lots of the actual voters are but pretty much every politician of relevance is at best paying lip service to some leftist ideas while consoling their donors they plan to do nothing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Radish posted:

Seriously on what planet are the Democrats moving left. Lots of the actual voters are but pretty much every politician of relevance is at best paying lip service to some leftist ideas while consoling their donors they plan to do nothing.

what is your metric for "moving left"

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 18, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

QuoProQuid posted:

How about "not staning for republicans"? I realize that is a bar so low that it is literally lying on the floor- but Joe Boden somehow managed to trip over it and face plant anyways.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Prester Jane posted:

How about "not staning for republicans"? I realize that is a bar so low that it is literally lying on the floor- but Joe Boden somehow managed to trip over it and face plant anyways.

what does that practically mean? is it about voting record? is it about not accepting donations from certain groups? is it giving speeches that praise leftist ideas?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Endorsing policies that will have a truly meaningful effect on the current and upcoming crises we face.

Alternatively:

Credible efforts to empower the dispossessed.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

QuoProQuid posted:

what does that practically mean? is it about voting record? is it about not accepting donations from certain groups? is it giving speeches that praise leftist ideas?

https://theweek.com/speedreads/819291/joe-biden-got-200000-speech-that-reportedly-helped-elect-republican-house-member

quote:

In the speech, delivered for a $200,000 fee at Lake Michigan College, Biden described Upton — a long-serving congressman and coauthor of a 2017 bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act — as "one of the finest guys I've ever worked with." Biden, whose eldest son, Beau, died of brain cancer in 2015, also called Upton "the reason we're going to beat cancer," ostensibly for his work to fund cancer research. Both statements soon appeared in pro-Upton mailers, and Upton referred to the praise in a debate with his opponent, Matt Longjohn.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

QuoProQuid posted:

im trying to imagine being so brain broke that i can’t distinguish between a government of white nationalists and a government that implements some, but not all, of the policies i like

e: https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312
So it's your contention that a government which implements policies with zero correlation to the will of the people (e.g. the US government), is good?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

To be glib look at what policies Sanders and to a lesser extent Warren are proposing during their campaigns. Can you honestly tell me any of those ideas have any traction amoung the party leaders? Those ideas should be the baseline but because the Democrats have been chasing the center for years they are labeled as extreme while reaching out the Republicans is considered sensible.

Also I said this in the primary thread but it's relevent even more so here. Joe Biden is the one saying that Republicans are good guys that have been temporarily led astray. The Democratic front runner is the guy saying they aren't so bad so don't pretend that it's the voters who aren't taking poo poo seriously enough.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 18, 2019

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Prester Jane posted:

What is your solution to the problem of the DCCC actively working to undermine the rights of women?

Pardon me, but it does not appear you have any solutions yourself? All sane people are aware that the least bad outcome of the protest voter is to accomplish nothing. So where is your solution?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Pardon me, but it does not appear you have any solutions yourself? All sane people are aware that the least bad outcome of the protest voter is to accomplish nothing. So where is your solution?

To establish a credible threat to the party leaders that our support is contingent upon their compliance with implementing our agenda. This is how the people will power over their leaders. You don't control your leaders by giving them your unflagging support no matter how blatantly and publicly they stab you in the back.

If you're looking for a precise itemized timeline for how this will all play out then you're asking me to be literally psychic and predict the future. No one can do that. I'm telling you what will work, and I'm telling you that the present status quo has demonstrably failed.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

QuoProQuid posted:

It's about the decisions you make with the power you wield and how you choose to wielded and in what causes you support to wield that power. Joe Biden is no leftist, no friend to millennials, and completely disinterested in doing anything but attempting to drag the country back to the old status quo.

He's not a leader. He's a smiley corporate tool. He might as well have the Craftsman logo branded on his forehead.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Radish posted:

To be glib look at what policies Sanders and to a lesser extent Warren are proposing during their campaigns. Can you honestly tell me any of those ideas have any traction amount the party leaders? Those ideas should be the baseline but because the Democrats have been chasing the center for years they are labeled as extreme while reaching out the Republicans is considered sensible.

what do you consider h.r. 1, the green new deal, and the equality act? how do you feel about every democratic candidate for president endorsing expansions of healthcare, welfare, and climate policies that would have been unthinkable a few years ago?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Prester Jane posted:

To establish a credible threat to the party leaders that our support is contingent upon their compliance with implementing our agenda. This is how the people will power over their leaders. You don't control your leaders by giving them your unflagging support no matter how blatantly and publicly they stab you in the back.

If you're looking for a precise itemized timeline for how this will all play out then you're asking me to be literally psychic and predict the future. No one can do that. I'm telling you what will work, and I'm telling you that the present status quo has demonstrably failed.

So you do not have a plan, I see. You can just admit instead of pretending the details are impossible. I find it very odd that you say "I'm telling you what will work" yet you told me nothing beyond the platitude?

Refusing to vote and making protest votes for fringe candidate is no credible threat, just ask my foolish coworkers who refused to support Melenchon in our last presidential first round, and gave us a Macron-Le Pen second round.

I think it say a lot about your true politics that you describe being asked for details as demands to be the psychic!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The standard voting strategy has led to Nazis marching in the streets, concentration camps, a general decline of the standard of living, a forever conservative federal court system, health care costs exploding, and a climate emergency that could ruin society as we know it so anyone advocating keeping the course isn't proposing anything better than literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

also, because people are thrusting joe biden at me, let me be clear that I support sanders, warren, and (in the bizarro world where he is viable) inslee